The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

yanky yanky the vignette was done post process.

Ahh okay. If I may make a suggestion use a graduated filter to bring down the saturation in the sky and roads, and if you really wanna put in work clone out the car in the back and the yellow lines. You have a smokin picture. Just my suggestion on what I would do, and lose the vignette because the sky doesn't look even. Just my opinion though.

Just curious what part of cali is that? Assuming those are cali plates on the silver s2k

Yep.

There was a S2000/NSX meet out in El Monte. Met up some dudes from Long Beach and caravanned there.

Thanks for the tips!

Not very good at cloning, but I might give it a shot.

Last edited:
New pickup

^Dope. In for more shots of Aurora's :smile:

Yep.

There was a S2000/NSX meet out in El Monte. Met up some dudes from Long Beach and caravanned there.

Thanks for the tips!

Not very good at cloning, but I might give it a shot.

It's definitely time consuming but if you're ever bored one day I'd give it a shot!

Last edited:
BigRockford... Lighting is difficult. I had a shoot today that didn't go as well as I had wanted because of lighting. I took my Alien Bee 800/ Apollo Orb combo with me. I didn't have any help and it was windy so it screwed things up. I need to invest in sandbags, but then I would still need someone to help me carry all of that. Forgot my umbrella bracket, but realized I had my speedlight stand in my bag, so I tossed the speedlight on my light stand and was able to get some shots in. I like really soft light so it annoyed me. Nothing like having a big modifier for portraits.

Psylas... What were you using for lighting? When I first learned to do those shots I realized that the trick was to diffuse light from above for texture. I would have black seamless paper taped to a wall and then curved down onto and ironing board. On top of the edges of the paper i had two ipad mini boxes laying flat with a sheet of glass being held up by them. The sneakers went on the glass, and on top of the glass I had two boxes of the same height that would hold my diffusion panel over the sneaker. Here is half of what I said haha.

bts by khankussionz, on Flickr

swingman by khankussionz, on Flickr

^That is very cool. How do you achieve the reflection effect on the sole of the shoe?

^That is very cool. How do you achieve the reflection effect on the sole of the shoe?

It's the glass under the shoe plus the black paper under the glass causes the reflection. I wish I still had behind the scenes pics of that swingman shoot. It's really easy to pull that off. Expose so that everything falls into darkness then add flash. Make sure you dont spill flash onto the background. I guess the trick with the black paper is that it has space between it and the glass so that the light doesnt have the opportunity to light it up.

This is where I got the idea from but had to modify it for my understanding and environment http://fstoppers.com/fstoppers_lighting_diagrams_shooting_products_on_blac

Nice setup bro. I have a desk lamp on camera right and a speed light camera left. I used black foam core for the backdrop and plexiglass on top of the bottom foam core for reflection.

Simplify it... get some white paper and diffuse the speedlight. Put it over the shoes and put something to reflect some light back onto the shoe. The swingman shot was one speedlight, but looking back on it i wish i had used a reflector to put some light on the back end of the shoe

Simplify it... get some white paper and diffuse the speedlight. Put it over the shoes and put something to reflect some light back onto the shoe. The swingman shot was one speedlight, but looking back on it i wish i had used a reflector to put some light on the back end of the shoe

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that on the next shoot. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Got my first gig shooting a Quinceanera! Does anyone have any advice on must have shots and strategies?

Great pictures yall! I need to take my T3i out on night, hopefully I can get the Hollywood sign before the school year ends

Last edited:
Can someone explain battery packs to me?

It's for the extra juice but also for the ergonomic use of holding your camera vertical. I never even bother with it just cause I don't need my camera bigger then it already is. Just buy spare batteries imo.

I have big hands and like having some bigger to grip. On smaller bodies my pinky finger would just slide under.

never really tried product photography but as soon as i saw how simple the set up is, i had to try it out with what i have :lol:

excuse the mess

last one with white bg. used white cartolina.

what do you guys use to get that reflection at the bottom :nerd:

what do you guys use to get that reflection at the bottom :nerd:

I went to Home Depot and got a sheet of glass. It was like $10 and huge because I wear a size 13 haha. I elevated it over whatever was supposed to be under the product. Your shots came out good. Surprised how easy it is huh? Haha. I actually want to catalogue all of my sneakers this way

^That is very cool. How do you acheive the reflection effect

It's the glass under the shoe plus the black paper under the glass causes the reflection. I wish I still had behind the scenes pics of that swingman shoot. It's really easy to pull that off. Expose so that everything falls into darkness then add flash. Make sure you dont spill flash onto the background. I guess the trick with the black paper is that it has space between it and the glass so that the light doesnt have the opportunity to light it up.

This is where I got the idea from but had to modify it for my understanding and environment http://fstoppers.com/fstoppers_lighting_diagrams_shooting_products_on_blac

Right on. Always wondered how people achieve that look with the background being all black.

Can someone explain battery packs to me?

Battery packs or battery grip? :D

Anyways, battery grips, like Fong said, are especially useful when needing extra battery as well as a vertical grip. I find them especially great for portraiture. Less stress on my wrist and arm.

Battery packs are useful for flashes that need faster recycle times.

It's for the extra juice but also for the ergonomic use of holding your camera vertical. I never even bother with it just cause I don't need my camera bigger then it already is. Just buy spare batteries imo.

I gotcha. It was a battery grip. I'll pass on it. They are ugly too. Lol

I gotcha. It was a battery grip. I'll pass on it. They are ugly too. Lol

For me it's easier to hold my camera. More ergonomic even when holding it normally + more battery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom