The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Engagement ring I just bought.

Thats it?

I kid lol. Congrats man. Best of luck.

Haven't mastered it yet, but I'm loving the Sony A7. I was a bit nervous about using it for a shoot today but it definitely performed better than I expected:

[COLOR=#red]Don't know why you are nervous...it's a full-framed powerhouse even though it's in a small package. A lot of true professional Photogs have sung its praise.

Someone stole my Sony A57 last week, so I bought the new Sony a6000...the a6000 has 197 individual points of focus so it can track a subject over %92 of the sensor. It's a super fast hybrid focus that shoots 11fps in full 24.3MP while focusing each individual shot. It even has subject tracking in movie mode. Read the reviews...the a6000 is a beast in the APS-C crop sensor world.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]Don't know why you are nervous...it's a full-framed powerhouse even though it's in a small package. A lot of true professional Photogs have sung its praise.

Someone stole my Sony A57 last week, so I bought the new Sony a6000...the a6000 has 197 individual points of focus so it can track a subject over %92 of the sensor. It's a super fast hybrid focus that shoots 11fps in full 24.3MP while focusing each individual shot. It even has subject tracking in movie mode. Read the reviews...the a6000 is a beast in the APS-C crop sensor world.[/COLOR]

It wasn't the specs, I just haven't had the camera long enough to feel completely comfortable with it. Even after watching that video of the a6000 you posted I already learned some things about my A7 that I didn't even know it could do. I still brought my D600 as backup but the Sony was a lot more fun so I used it like 5 of the 6 hours I shot today. If Sony can release a lot more lenses this year, specifically a 35mm 1.4-8 and a 24-70mm 2.8, I would be set. One of my favorite things about it is how light and small it feels compared to my old D600/50 1.4 on a daily basis. When I go out shooting I rarely take a backpack, just the body and lens, so the fact that I don't even notice it around my neck is a huge plus. I would highly recommend it for those looking to upgrade.

Can you post any shots from the a6000 you've taken?

Here are some more recents from my A7:

It wasn't the specs, I just haven't had the camera long enough to feel completely comfortable with it. Even after watching that video of the a6000 you posted I already learned some things about my A7 that I didn't even know it could do. I still brought my D600 as backup but the Sony was a lot more fun so I used it like 5 of the 6 hours I shot today. If Sony can release a lot more lenses this year, specifically a 35mm 1.4-8 and a 24-70mm 2.8, I would be set. One of my favorite things about it is how light and small it feels compared to my old D600/50 1.4 on a daily basis. When I go out shooting I rarely take a backpack, just the body and lens, so the fact that I don't even notice it around my neck is a huge plus. I would highly recommend it for those looking to upgrade.

[COLOR=#red]First off let me say that those are amazing shots you have taken. Seems as if you are getting comfortable with your A7 rig. Trust and believe the only reason I didn't get an A7 is because I couldn't afford it at the time...but it's my dream camera.

I haven't taken any shots with my a6000 yet...literally bought it yesterday. But next week I'm headed to New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, and Montana for one huge roadtrip so I'll have some pretty nice photos hopefully.

Interesting enough the D600 as great of a FF camera it is, uses a Sony sensor. But again nice pictures and hopefully I'll be an A7 owner in the not so distant future.[/COLOR]

Here are some more recents from my A7:

hawt!!! full frame really makes those images feel 3d, the shot with the bus has a crazy amount of background separation. i think sony will drop a few lenses this year (they have been notoriously slow with E-mount lenses) but it doesn't seem likely that they'll make them fast because it kinda goes against the concept of keeping the system 'relatively' small, from my understanding, developing (fast) lenses big enough to cover the sensor might still result in rather large lenses...i do hope they can develop a decent full frame pancake lens...

there are sony's own A-mount adapters (there are a few and they each have different capabilities) and if you don't mind manual focusing buying adapters for older manual lenses might work for you and there are some great options from this brand called samyang (also called rokinon or bower) but they're manual focus as well or you could get a metabones type adapter for canon or nikon and gain some AF, exif data, image stabilization though the AF won't be as fast/work as well as native e mount lenses:

anyone here do light painting? what light source are you using? think I'm gonna start with a laser pointer and try it out

anyone here do light painting? what light source are you using? think I'm gonna start with a laser pointer and try it out

Whatever you do, don't point the laser pointer directly at the camera/sensor. You could damage it permanently.

I like using small flashlights, glow sticks, etc.

^^^ thanks man. thats what I've read too. i had an idea for a couples shoot to draw some graffiti hearts during the LE

[COLOR=#red]tokes99...The E mount lenses are mostly for the a6000 and the NEX cameras...A7 and A7R use the new FE lenses dedicated to the Full Frame sensor. They are fast but expensive. [/COLOR]

I got some pics that I think are pretty cool. I'd like to edit them before posting them here. I'm using LR. What are some of your processes when editing self portraits, landscapes, and night shots of buildings?

One of the pics I took earlier.

10246140_290156114489324_1961285756_n.jpg

And now I smile like a proud dad, watching his only son that made it

Last edited:
@ElderWatsonDiggs true, fthough FE lenses are just full frame E-mount lenses, FE lenses fit on the nex series, nex lenses fit on the all the A7 cams...they are all E-mount lenses...

I got some pics that I think are pretty cool. I'd like to edit them before posting them here. I'm using LR. What are some of your processes when editing self portraits, landscapes, and night shots of buildings?

One of the pics I took earlier.

just fiddle around with the different settings until you like what you see, it is really personal preference & of course each image may has its own issues that you may want to address; though generally portraits of people close up, you'll want to lay off the clarity & sharpness (it can make really apparent pores in skin) and if you are shooting RAW, messing with the highlight settings can REALLY help with things like strong reflections or over exposed areas...

I want to try it. Seen a couple YouTube videos and it looks cool. I'd use a led light strip or flashlight

Tried black background shots for the 1st time today(as discussed a few posts up). Couldn't really get a heavy reflection as i wanted but im going to keep trying.

These things are so basic, yet so dope. Not too loud, not too quiet.

Tried black background shots for the 1st time today(as discussed a few posts up). Couldn't really get a heavy reflection as i wanted but im going to keep trying.

These things are so basic, yet so dope. Not too loud, not too quiet.

You're getting there. I think the problem you are having is that your image is still a bit underexposed. The top one at least. The reason I was putting the diffuser directly above the subject was to allow the light to show the detail of it. I can't see any detail on the tops of the sneakers. I can see that you are lighting it from in front because the shadow being cast on the back sneaker

You're getting there. I think the problem you are having is that your image is still a bit underexposed. The top one at least. The reason I was putting the diffuser directly above the subject was to allow the light to show the detail of it. I can't see any detail on the tops of the sneakers. I can see that you are lighting it from in front because the shadow being cast on the back sneaker

Ok cool. Im gonna try that method.

just fiddle around with the different settings until you like what you see, it is really personal preference & of course each image may has its own issues that you may want to address; though generally portraits of people close up, you'll want to lay off the clarity & sharpness (it can make really apparent pores in skin) and if you are shooting RAW, messing with the highlight settings can REALLY help with things like strong reflections or over exposed areas...

Yea, I shot it raw. I'm sure my ISO was maybe too high in some cases because the blacks aren't as black as I'd want.

I have a t3i and i want to get a full frame camera, but only want to spend like 600 bucks so I was thinking used canon 5D. Is it worth buying and is it an upgrade to the t3i?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom