The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Those are rad as hell Keko? What lenses are you using? Sorry if I have asked before. Love the last shot. I never have a long enough lens for something like that.
Thanks man ....

Most of those were with the 35L but the Flat Iron building. I wish I had the 25L there or even the 14L the stars with the 24-105L are horrible.

In regards to the last image, you have a 5D3, CROP!

Man... I'm pretty terrible at portraits.

I had no idea how to tell my homie to pose. The whole session was a lot of me saying "do something, move around, the hell are you doing, don't move"

:lol:

Help me guiz.

Bro, those were great!

Santi....that's a nice spot location though with the trees. Where's that at?

It's a centre for conservation here in Ontario, Canada. A lot of people do wedding photos there. Pretty cool, it was my first time being there.

In Toronto? Which one?

Kortright Centre near Vaughn / Brampton.

Thanks. I actually live pretty close to there, I'll check it out one of these days.

Man... I'm pretty terrible at portraits.

I had no idea how to tell my homie to pose. The whole session was a lot of me saying "do something, move around, the hell are you doing, don't move"

:lol:

Help me guiz.

Bro, those were great!

Agree, good stuff 8)

Hi guys so ive been doing some research on flashes. I saw some examples of where flashes can come in handy to create cool effects. I always shied away because i considered the speedlite prices to be absurd.

I have seen a lot of reviews on the YN products and was thinking on picking up a YN560EX flash to start with. From my understanding i would also need 2 YN 622 transmitters to send and receieve signals if i would like to trigger my flash without having to use the on camera unit. Is that correct?

I think it would be fun to pick up 1 to play around with but wanted to make sure i understood how the transmitters would work with my 70D.

Also if i wanted to add more flashes down the line i would just need 1 additional transmitter per flash, is that correct?

Thanks for all your help. Cant wait for my camera to come in tomorrow and start messing around with it!

Decided to stick with the 24mm and 50-275 STM lenses as well as the kit 18-55 STM.

If you're picking up flashes for creative effect, I'd highly recommend picking up 2 to start. Opens up a lot more possibilities.

And you're right on the transmitters - one on the camera, and one for each flash. If you're ok with using the flash in manual mode, you can pick up the 560IV and it's got a built in receiver.

If you're picking up flashes for creative effect, I'd highly recommend picking up 2 to start. Opens up a lot more possibilities.

And you're right on the transmitters - one on the camera, and one for each flash. If you're ok with using the flash in manual mode, you can pick up the 560IV and it's got a built in receiver.

Ok awesome thanks. I read manual adjustment is the best way to learn and not all that bad, so with the 560 I just need the one transmitter on camera and my flashes with built in receiver?

I think these along with a mefoto globetrotter will be the next things I'm looking to invest in

^
Exactly. But if you do pick up 2 transmitters you can use one as a remote for your camera.

I actually have a MeFoto Roadtrip, it's served me well so far.

Might want to check out some flash starter kits while you're at it - includes basic modifiers and some stands for the flashes. I got this one - nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

Question about Flashes ... I have a 430 that i have never used. I was wondering for you guys that have canon and use them on camera, what move and how do you use them. I been thinking on using them on ETTL but not sure how it will work. Especially when the sun is doing the backlight.

Anyone here use the 24mm pancake? Might be time to get a new lens.

The 50mm is a bit much for a crop body and I'm tired of lugging a 17-50 tamron around.

Question about Flashes ... I have a 430 that i have never used. I was wondering for you guys that have canon and use them on camera, what move and how do you use them. I been thinking on using them on ETTL but not sure how it will work. Especially when the sun is doing the backlight.

I keep my flash on ETTL which works great for low light situations. Say you are shooting in a nightclub, a third party flash my not offer ETTL which can actually help with autofocusing. You will hear you lens searching or manual focus only to get a OOF shot. The 430exii that I have sends a focus assist beam out first before firing and focuses on the distance of the beam. I have used the gary fong lightsphere before but I perfer the rogue flashbender now.

As far as a backlight scene. I would approach it by finding what I wanted the ambient to look like first then bump up the flash manually until I have the correct exposure on the subject. Honestly you may be better with a reflector in a backlit situation. I use the white side because it is a little more forgiving on the eyes and it is not as directional as the silver side. And remember if you are using AV or TV modes to spot meter.

I keep my flash on ETTL which works great for low light situations. Say you are shooting in a nightclub, a third party flash my not offer ETTL which can actually help with autofocusing. You will hear you lens searching or manual focus only to get a OOF shot. The 430exii that I have sends a focus assist beam out first before firing and focuses on the distance of the beam. I have used the gary fong lightsphere before but I perfer the rogue flashbender now.

As far as a backlight scene. I would approach it by finding what I wanted the ambient to look like first then bump up the flash manually until I have the correct exposure on the subject. Honestly you may be better with a reflector in a backlit situation. I use the white side because it is a little more forgiving on the eyes and it is not as directional as the silver side. And remember if you are using AV or TV modes to spot meter.
thanks for the info .. But I'm not using it for photoshoots but rather events and family outings. I hate the noon events that natural lighting creates undesirable shadows or when the sun is in the BG where it would be awesome for a picture so the subject is either under expose or the BG is blown out. That's the reason I want to start using this joint because I believe this summer I will be designate as the family photographer. Also on night events ..

Back
Top Bottom