The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

If you were to a pick, it would be a 24mm then?

I want this to compliment my 50mm more than anythig as of now, so if the 24mm is go na take the same type of pics as the 50nm (but obv I can use it in closer ranges) then maybe the 10-18 would be a better compliment?

If you like distortion in your photos, then get the 10-18 but if you are shooting mostly portraits, then get the 24mm. The look of the 24mm to the 50mm might not be as noticeable but you definitely use both lenses in certain situations. It's no different then having a 50mm and an 85mm but I think most would rather shoot on the 85mm if they are shooting portraits but the 50mm is way more street friendly. You'll find that having both lenses is good for which ever scenario. It sucks to have a long lens say when there are tons of people in your way but you have to shoot far away from your subject. But it also sucks to be far away from your subject and only have a shorter lens to shoot.

I saw this link. Comparison of both the older and newer Canon zooms in that focal length. Some good photo examples but of course you need a tripod.
http://asklens.com/2016/05/canon-10-18-vs-10-22/

Here are more photos for that lens as well.
http://duytom.com/danh-gia/67-danh-gia-10-18-stm

I get what you guys mean how the 24mm would compliment it more. Repped.

Found a deal for a 10-18 for $200 though. Maybe I should hop on that so I can get wide shots when needed. I could work with the 50 I have already.

Last edited:
Just bought my first lens today - a Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G. I originally went in for a 35mm but they didn't have it so I settled for the 50mm. I have 14 days to return it if I change my mind so we'll see how it goes.

But what I wanted to know is just how different is the lens I bought compared to this:

(Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D) Amazon product ASIN B00005LEN4
I researched and it seems like the one I have may be better. The difference between the two is that the D is a manual focus one, without an aperture ring correct? (I'm still new to all this) I wanted to get another opinion from people in here.

Also, should I return this and just opt for the 35mm lens for now? Only one lens fit within my budget so I can't cop two. I also have a small photoshoot in September as well.

Camera: Nikon D3300

Last edited:
Just bought my first lens today - a Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G. I originally went in for a 35mm but they didn't have it so I settled for the 50mm. I have 14 days to return it if I change my mind so we'll see how it goes.

But what I wanted to know is just how different is the lens I bought compared to this:

(Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D) Amazon product ASIN B00005LEN4
I researched and it seems like the one I have may be better. The difference between the two is that the D is a manual focus one, without an aperture ring correct? (I'm still new to all this) I wanted to get another opinion from people in here.

Also, should I return this and just opt for the 35mm lens for now? Only one lens fit within my budget so I can't cop two. I also have a small photoshoot in September as well.

Camera: Nikon D3300

The main difference is the G model is the current model with the AF motor or in the LENS versus the CAMERA.

Meaning the older D lenses made by nikon are not fully compatible with a lot of nikon crop cameras like the one you own and would have manually focus it.

Enjoy the 50mm! I had that lens when I shot nikon & its :pimp:

The main difference is the G model is the current model with the AF motor or in the LENS versus the CAMERA.

Meaning the older D lenses made by nikon are not fully compatible with a lot of nikon crop cameras like the one you own and would have manually focus it.

Enjoy the 50mm! I had that lens when I shot nikon & its :pimp:

Hmm good stuff. Thanks man. I'll try it out tomorrow morning - I also learned Best Buy has photography workshops so I'll be at the one tomorrow to see what it's about.

Hopefully everything works out

Hoping everyone gets a chance this weekend to shoot as much as we talk about shooting! :smile:

Gear talk is fun but its all about the photos.

Doing a fun tribal face paint shoot later tonight

I also have a bridal / family session and an engagement session this weekend.

Hoping everyone gets a chance this weekend to shoot as much as we talk about shooting! :smile:

Gear talk is fun but its all about the photos.

Doing a fun tribal face paint shoot later tonight

I also have a bridal / family session and an engagement session this weekend.

I might try to do something on Sunday but I have a ton of stuff to edit and upload still

Regarding gear, the Tamron 14mm and Sigma 90mm came in last week and I've been itching to finally use em

Got this shot with my 50mm a couple days ago.

I tried doing a photo of my iphone while im taking a photo with my iphone of Times Sq, or whatever (photo of a iphone taking a photo) and while the bokeh came out nice and what not it overall wasnt a great shot. Any tips? I used the stock lens so maybe thats why.

From a shoot tonight.

Shot with 85mm 1.8 & 70-200 2.8 L IS II

All these shots were shot at the maximum aperture :wink:

Last edited:
Finally ready to get some prints done, probably through Costco for the trial run. Any tips to get the best quality prints and what settings should I use via Lightroom like 300 DPI? Really don't know what size to print, probably doing a 11x14 or 12x18 but what aspect ratio should I use or should I crop? Thanks

Nice shots but thats a weird *** shoot fam. :lol:

Haha thanks.

My following eats up the different / unique stuff I post.

My clients are dope. It was all her idea :lol:

Tbh I prefer to do different stuff... Anyone can get a photo of someone just standing in front of a camera.

Lots of good info here 

just need to read through it (read the past 3 pages) 
laugh.gif

My older bro got a new camera and gave me his old nikon d3200, but I have no idea how to use it

Any advice or good youtube tutorials. I would love to get into portraits. I only have the stock lens, he sold another he had to a friend. 

This is my first time with a DSLR so anything pointing me into the right direction would be greatly appreciated 
nerd.gif

smile.gif

Lots of good info here 

just need to read through it (read the past 3 pages) :lol:  

My older bro got a new camera and gave me his old nikon d3200, but I have no idea how to use it

Any advice or good youtube tutorials. I would love to get into portraits. I only have the stock lens, he sold another he had to a friend. 

This is my first time with a DSLR so anything pointing me into the right direction would be greatly appreciated :nerd:  :smile:

Familiarize yourself with the "Exposure Triangle": aperture, shutter speed, & ISO

Then the best way to learn is just go out and shoot. Get comfortable with your camera.

some shots from a few weeks ago. just picked up northup's book... eager to get reading. feedback welcomed on these casual jawns.

playing around in a skatepark with my homegirl.

flickr2 by judizzel36, on Flickr

bw by judizzel36, on Flickr

was shooting in rittenhouse sq park and a guy offered me $ for headshots. politely declined. he was new in town. tried to capture that.

flickr3 by judizzel36, on Flickr

From a shoot tonight.

Shot with 85mm 1.8 & 70-200 2.8 L IS II

All these shots were shot at the maximum aperture :wink:

maybe it's the the compression but it seems like all these, while maybe acceptably sharp, are not critically sharp on the model's eye(s)...maybe it is the makeup, looks like the model's lips are the thing focused on?

was shooting in rittenhouse sq park and a guy offered me $ for headshots. politely declined. he was new in town. tried to capture that.
flickr3 by judizzel36, on Flickr

same thing with this, you can see his face is out of focus and the camera af caught his hair in focus, probably acceptable for web though

Tokes - here's a pretty extreme crop.

I think like you said because I upload directly to NT there could be some compression taking place that is making the images look a tag bid soft when peeping.

The lips could also be perceived as sharper in some of the images because the lipstick was done and dried out to have a very high texture. Even on location it looked like someone took a brush and did +100 clarity on her lips :lol:

Anyone use the Rokinon 35 1.4? I'm thinking about grabbing it over the Sigma and Canon f/1.4s. That price is just way too good to pass up. It being completely manual isn't my ideal choice but the price point is just too good. Can grab a Rokinon 14 2.8 and 35 1.4 for pretty much the same price as the Canon/Sigma 35 1.4.

Lots of good info here 

just need to read through it (read the past 3 pages) 
laugh.gif

This is my first time with a DSLR so anything pointing me into the right direction would be greatly appreciated 
nerd.gif

smile.gif
Familiarize yourself with the "Exposure Triangle": aperture, shutter speed, & ISO

Then the best way to learn is just go out and shoot. Get comfortable with your camera.
I'll look/ read into it a bit 

I'll def go shooting sometime this week

Mike Browne, Adoroma, Tony & Chelsea Northrup
I'm guessing Youtube tutorial people? I'll look into them. Thanks 
laugh.gif

Photos like this are exactly why I want to get into photography. So mesmerizing 

Back
Top Bottom