The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I want to preface all these comments with

1 - Great job!! Keep learning, you're off to a great start.

2 - I'm really jealous of your 5d mark 3. I'm currently shooting a 5d mark 2 & saving for a mark 3 to have my mark 2 as a backup :x

went shooting with my homegirl yesterday... few of my favorites without edits from two locations. nice to work with someone you vibe well with and co-developed a concept with. any/all feedback is appreciated! more on the flickr.
FAV36 by judizzel36, on Flickr

- The lines are crooked. This is easily fixed in post or just be a bit more conscious of your composition in camera.

- She is underexposed. When using natural light, its important to meter off the subjects skin.

- Pose is okay... would have been a pretty cool composition to place her in the middle of the two pillars instead of having one of the pillars serve as a background merger

- This image is out of focus

- She is underexposed

- She is underexposed

- She is underexposed

- Generally spotty lighting like this is distracting & unflattering

- Would have been nice to compose her in the right third

- She is underexposed

- Her left arm is pretty awkward

- Always watch the edges of your composition. You almost never want to crop portions of a body park like her left hand.

- Always watch the edges of your composition. You almost never want to crop portions of a body park like her left hand.

- Would have been nice to shift the camera's view to the left putting her int he right third of the composition leaving the dead space where she's looking vs. behind her.

- She is underexposed

- Compositionally I would like her in the right third

2 - I'm really jealous of your 5d mark 3. I'm currently shooting a 5d mark 2 & saving for a mark 3 to have my mark 2 as a backup :x
- The lines are crooked. This is easily fixed in post or just be a bit more conscious of your composition in camera.

thanks for taking the time out! very helpful and I'll definitely learn from this.

thanks for taking the time out! very helpful and I'll definitely learn from this.

:pimp:

what 50mm were you using? were you using the canon STM?

If you keep shooting portraits I highly recommend looking into getting a canon 85mm USM 1.8. Very high value lens.

Last edited:

If you keep shooting portraits I highly recommend looking into getting a canon 85mm USM 1.8. Very high value lens.

right now I'm shooting with the sigma 20mm art, sigma 50mm art 1.4, and the canon 135 L. will look into the 85 1.8, for sure... and try to be patient enough to save up for that 85mm 1.2 :smokin

went shooting with my homegirl yesterday... few of my favorites without edits from two locations. nice to work with someone you vibe well with and co-developed a concept with. any/all feedback is appreciated! more on the flickr.

I checked your Flickr. Your shutter speeds are just kind of off for the shots. You shot 1/200th of a second when the girl as twirling and you'll never get that in focus with that kind of movement. Get your shutter faster. I know you shot at higher ISO at times but you need to just get out of the shutter speed you are at.

And bro, I hope you don't mind I did this. I also think you picked the wrong photos to show. I edited your photo below that I felt was a good shot. Just needs an edit or two. I am sure some people on here could do some great things with your photos as well. Let me know if you want to take it down too.

test-1.png

I checked your Flickr. Your shutter speeds are just kind of off for the shots. You shot 1/200th of a second when the girl as twirling and you'll never get that in focus with that kind of movement. Get your shutter faster. I know you shot at higher ISO at times but you need to just get out of the shutter speed you are at.

And bro, I hope you don't mind I did this. I also think you picked the wrong photos to show. I edited your photo below that I felt was a good shot. Just needs an edit or two. I am sure some people on here could do some great things with your photos as well. Let me know if you want to take it down too.

test-1.png

looks dope, man! much appreciated... I haven't messed with editing just yet.... I really dig what you did there though.

probably going to hit the books/youtube vids and get to practicing for a few months before I post more. thanks for all the feedback guys! has been a big help.

Last edited:
ƒ/0 14mm 1second ISO 100

rokinon/samyang 14mm? were you shooting wide open @2.8?

right now I'm shooting with the sigma 20mm art, sigma 50mm art 1.4, and the canon 135 L. will look into the 85 1.8, for sure... and try to be patient enough to save up for that 85mm 1.2 :smokin

seeing as you have that 135, which is supposed to be an excellent portrait lens, you might be gucci on an 85mm...by the way, you keep some good company my g!

Yeah the photos are underexposed, but they can be brightened up with PS/LR and some color boosting. This was from quick changes to the jpeg, but better changes can be done.

You're exif say you were shooting in manual. I'd say take some shots in Aperture Priority first. Then you can just look at the exif data for a particular photo you like and replicate in manual.

judeezy36 judeezy36 you're off to a great start, my dude! Everything looks pretty good for the level that you're at. Work on getting that exposure right and always (for portraits) focus on the eyes! Don't be afraid to bump up your shutter speed and your ISO a bit. A little grain never hurt anybody.

Just keep shooting and over time, it'll come to you. Watch as man y youtube videos as you can as they really do help. The thing that helps the most is practice. You're off to a great start, so if you keep practicing, I'm sure your first paid shoot will come soon.

Last edited:
Fong nice work with that edit.

I love how supportive this thread is.

Oh you are working with some good glass man!!

For those portraits you really should have used the 135mm for the close ups!!! :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

135mm is like pure :pimp: for headshots

Tbh, you're better off getting a 70-200 2.8 L IS II for the price of the 85L... The versatility is :nthat:

But yeah man... Hit that single point auto focus on the eye & expose for the skin (when using natural light) & you're GOLDEN.

No reason to get soft shots at 50mm f/4!

Im really excited to see what you post next.

judeezy36 judeezy36 Work on getting that exposure right and always (for portraits) focus on the eyes! Don't be afraid to bump up your shutter speed and your ISO a bit. A little grain never hurt anybody.

Just keep shooting and over time, it'll come to you. Watch as man y youtube videos as you can as they really do help. The thing that helps the most is practice. You're off to a great start, so if you keep practicing, I'm sure your first paid shoot will come soon.

Fong nice work with that edit.

I love how supportive this thread is.

For those portraits you really should have used the 135mm for the close ups!!! :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

But yeah man... Hit that single point auto focus on the eye & expose for the skin (when using natural light) & you're GOLDEN.

I love the support too-- thanks for it, for real! the tips are straight to the point and a big help-- focus on the eyes, work with the thirds, up the shutter speed and iso. ALL that. I've been hesitant with the iso to avoid overexposure and washout... but will work to feel my way around it. Ima stick with manual for now because I'd like to get a handle on the triangle and feel confident adjusting what I need and know why I'm doing it. Thanks again, y'all.

Yeah i happen to shoot manual myself.

I like being in control of the full exposure the sensor is getting.

Since I go into a shoot knowing how I want the image to look, I just dial in my settings and shoot them until the light situation changes or I want a different background look. With aperture priority mode, especially if you're not spot metering, the camera would frequently under expose my scene due to natural light shooting.

Also, every camera meters light slightly different.

I can see a lot of scenarios where using a priority mode would be beneficial, I just actually find it easier and get more consistent results when shooting manual mode. Makes editing so quick too... get my edit the way i want it, the sync those settings across all the images with the same exposure & lighting situation :pimp:

You don't always have to follow the rule of thirds, but it's a good start.

http://petapixel.com/2016/01/30/10-myths-about-the-rule-of-thirds/

I 100% agree with this and loved this article

I am a very strong believer in using the rule of 3rds especially for photography when you're just starting out or you're doing things like family photos, journalistic event coverage, etc.

Also, I believe its better to use the rule of thirds rather than not using any compositional guide at all.

People have a hard enough time learning how to use their camera and get an image in focus let alone composing an image that properly fits a dynamic symmetry grid. Using something this complex will lead to a person's disinterest.... just like when people try to shoot manual for the first time after buying their first consumer end DSLR.

I think people should be grounded in fundamental compositional techniques before venturing out and doing other stuff. Just my 2 cents.

I agree very strongly with the author's 9th point.

MYTH #9: “Cropping to the rule of thirds after shooting a photo is a great way to save an image”

Cropping a poorly composed, badly lit image will not save anything. That’s starting at the end and working backwards.

I try my hardest to compose my images correctly in camera and to do as little copping as possible.

Back
Top Bottom