The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Switzerland and france are still my two favorite places in europe. I could easily live in switzerland if I had the opportunity.

Copped the 35mm lens. Think I'm set for now. Time to start practicing more and find my preferred category

Nikon D3300
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX Lens
Tripod

Copped the 35mm lens. Think I'm set for now. Time to start practicing more and find my preferred category

Nikon D3300
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX Lens
Tripod

Depending on how serious you are, and your goal, I would have suggested saving for the 28mm f/1.8G and skipping the 35mm. The reason is because you will get a wider angle, and an FX lens if your goal is to go Full Frame in the future. I had the 35mm and sold it as soon as I decided that I wanted to really pursue photography.

Depending on how serious you are, and your goal, I would have suggested saving for the 28mm f/1.8G and skipping the 35mm. The reason is because you will get a wider angle, and an FX lens if your goal is to go Full Frame in the future. I had the 35mm and sold it as soon as I decided that I wanted to really pursue photography.[/quote

Hmm good input. I'll take that into consideration. I got a good deal on both so I can't complain.

Just got back from San Diego, dope city.

La Jolla Cove is dope .. But I can't get best past the smell :lol: , idk how you folks do it.

Just purchased a used Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII for $1500. Now i'm in the club djyoung08 djyoung08 :nthat:

can't wait to mess with this bad boy

I bow before you!

70-200 is the king of portraits

when im lazy and wanna do light weight I use the 85mm 1.8

Other than that, I primarily use 24-70.

I can't wait to see what you do with it :evil:

Hey guys quick question. How do you feel about lens kits for cell phones, any real improvements? I don't want to take my Canon everywhere, but I'm starting a business and want to take pictures of my product out and about town for social media, etc. Can this boost my phone camera enough to bridge the gap?
I have a samsung s7 edge at the moment, possibly going to iPhone 7 for photos.

Hey guys quick question. How do you feel about lens kits for cell phones, any real improvements? I don't want to take my Canon everywhere, but I'm starting a business and want to take pictures of my product out and about town for social media, etc. Can this boost my phone camera enough to bridge the gap?

They're okay. ollo clip macro lens is :pimp:

it depends on what type of shots you're looking to do but a cellphone camera can definitely be used to shoot high quality photos with, especially when shooting in a bright environment.

Apple has entire marketing campaigns centered around photos that are taken with the iphone.

Last edited:
Flagship cellphone cameras are just wide angle primes & they do that well....

iPhone 6 is like around 27mm or so in focal length & it will out perform any DSLR kit lens @ the same focal length.

This becomes even more true with cameras allowing you to shoot manual and in raw.

it depends very heavily on what type of shots you want to get. If you want wide angle shots, you might as well leverage your phone.

If you want portraits with background blur i'd recommend cutting to the chase and using a DSLR and a portrait lens like an 85mm or 70-200

Quick shot from a branding shoot I did last week with a client of mine.

I have more but I like this one the best. Any feedback is great. Thanks!

i guess it would depend on how you define real improvements? the short answer is probably, in certain situations a smartphone camera augmented with an external lens will yield an image that will not look like a typical image from a smartphone. it depends on what type of camera your canon is, if it is a point & shoot it will come pretty close but not likely for a dslr - maybe in situations where you have good lighting & the thing you are grabbing a pic of needs a deep/wide range of focus () or doesn't require much dynamic range; like picture of a landscape/cityscape

its not perfect but check out: http://camerashowdown.com/

iPhone 6 is like around 27mm or so in focal length & it will out perform any DSLR kit lens @ the same focal length.

the iphone 6 may indeed be more convenient, more useful to more people, & very capable but outperform though? even with a high quality add on with increased options of manual control & raw capability, it may be subjectively true for some but that probably isn't objectively true in real world comparisons...no kit lens is that inferior

i guess it would depend on how you define real improvements? the short answer is probably, in certain situations a smartphone camera augmented with an external lens will yield an image that will not look like a typical image from a smartphone. it depends on what type of camera your canon is, if it is a point & shoot it will come pretty close but not likely for a dslr - maybe in situations where you have good lighting & the thing you are grabbing a pic of needs a deep/wide range of focus () or doesn't require much dynamic range; like picture of a landscape/cityscape

its not perfect but check out: http://camerashowdown.com/

the iphone 6 may indeed be more convenient, more useful to more people, & very capable but outperform though? even with a high quality add on with increased options of manual control & raw capability, it may be subjectively true for some but that probably isn't objectively true in real world comparisons...no kit lens is that inferior

Objectively may not be true but in a real world scenario shooting scenes at 27mm I bet you any amount of money a photographer use an iPhone to outshoot a non photographer using a kit lens.

I think your camera showdown link does a great job of displaying that...

When you're in very good light situations, & you need to shoot a wide shot, there are a lot of benefits to using a phone to do that.

Last edited:

I like Moment's wide lens. They're not gonna be as good as DSLRs, but you can get great shots still.

Moment lenses :pimp:

Love these bad boys. I take them with me everywhere I go.

These lenses are great, but they'll never compare to a dedicated camera. You gotta remember, image quality is not going to change. You still have the same phone, same sensor, same limitations. The lenses just give you a different field of view. Perfect for out and about for social media. These tools could definitely take your mobile phone photography to the next level. I highly recommend.

The 60 with portraits/people photos :pimp:.

SOC(P) - no editing - taken at the same distance.

Wide

Tele

Normal

Last edited:
Objectively may not be true but in a real world scenario shooting scenes at 27mm I bet you any amount of money a photographer use an iPhone to outshoot a non photographer using a kit lens.

I think your camera showdown link does a great job of displaying that...

When you're in very good light situations, & you need to shoot a wide shot, there are a lot of benefits to using a phone to do that.

i think most would take a good photographer using a toy cam over a non photographer using whatever; that would have more to do with knowledge than the actual quality of the tools...i feel like it is not that difficult to see the difference between which are dslr & smartphone shots, under just a bit of scrutiny outside of maybe some high depth of field/small aperture shots in good light? i think i understand your point-of-view, which seems to be you would rather shoot with a phone than use the kit lens on a dslr because to you the drop off isn't that big but that is different from saying that shooting with a phone yields a similar if not better quality image than a dslr with a kit lens...

ultimately, the easiest way answer this question is if image quality matters, get a dedicated camera & put some decent glass on that camera, if ease of capture & convenience is key, it is hard to beat a smartphone w/or without a specialized lens...

-Center the pastries so there is symmetry (not just kind of getting it close to being in the middle)
-Get all three of them actually in the shot (instead of cutting off the edge of the left one)
-Remove black chairs or whatever those lines are in the background.
-Get rid of the blurry fourth pastry in the background that messes up the front one.
-Find the nicest looking pastry (the one in the front has the frosting falling off and looks sloppy), and use that one for the main subject of the photo.

Last edited:

Try playing with the exposure, contrast, sharpness and color in your set.

I'm also not a big fan of the focusing in the image. It would look better to have a picture of one cupcake by itself thats visibly sharp. If you want multiple cupcakes, try to fill up the image space with more or move them closer like the previous poster mentioned.

I've shot for a friend's cooking blog once. I tried to get bright, vibrant images to show off the colors and compose the shot the way I'd want the food presented to me.

Back
Top Bottom