The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I see you TRHEE!!

Man... I want to travel.

I've been working 10 hour shifts 6 days a week, so I haven't been able to go out and shoot because of that.

I stop working on the 9th of August and start school late August, so I'll have some time to venture and do some constant shooting.

A couple from the couple times I've had enough energy after work to go shoot...

BBQ by imhigh2often, on Flickr

BBQ by imhigh2often, on Flickr

i suck at shooting events, 80% of pics taken were trash imo. will try and get better...
mean.gif
It's all about composition and theme. Random shots especially if they aren't really capturing the mood can be seen as trash.

My only advise is to try and get those shot in focus. It seemed that they were entirely to soft or out of focus. Try to close the aperture and bumping the ISO a bit in combination to focusing on the eyes/face area. This should get the shots a bit sharper.

Also try to compose the images a bit better. The one of the girls is the worst - it's way to tight - if you would of have zoomed out a bit and let the image breath I think it would of have look better. The boys is Ok - a bit more room and it would of have been better. The one with the dude is to tight for my taste and it seems like I don't know if you missed him being in the middle or you tried a 1/3 rule. A bit more zoomed out and him on 1/3 of the picture would of have been better.

2 cents, no gospel, just my personal preference ...

Nice memories nevertheless! 

KJ thanks for the advice, i will def take them into account next time i shoot .
the photo with "dude" was cropped, so instead of being in the middle like he was pre crop he ended up non centered
the photo with the ladies was tight because it was jam packed and had no more room to back up, and wasnt using a zoom lens.
here is the real problem i had, in dark areas i had a hard time getting the focus of the subject causing "soft" shots and out of focus shots. how can i focus if the subject is dark and is going to be illuminated by the flash?

Last edited:
For backyard BBQs I would throw the 50mm out the window on a cropped sensor.

For the money grab this instead and thank me later.

Amazon product ASIN B001S2PPT0

Yea, been meaning to get a dx prime, the FL on the 50mm fx on a crop sensor i think is 75mm making the shots way too tight. i didnt want to invest in any dx lens because i plan on moving to a FF but i guess one or two dx lenses wont hurt
will upgrade & report back later. thanks!!

KJ thanks for the advise, i will def take them into account next time i shoot .
the photo with "dude" was cropped, so instead of being in the middle like he was pre crop he ended up non centered
the photo with the ladies was tight because it was jam packed and had no more room to back up, and wasnt using a zoom lens.
here is the real problem i had, in dark areas i had a hard time getting the focus of the subject causing "soft" shots and out of focus shots. how can i focus if the subject is dark and is going to be illuminated by the flash?
No problem ...

I really don't use flashes other than strobe for studio work.

One trick that I learned a long time ago was a small hand carried flashlight. Call it what you want, but in dark areas where the pre flash is not getting my lens in focus, I just simple turn it on, get my focus and take the picture.

I have gotten lazy with the Manual focus, I need to get back to it shame on me!

Anyone want 24-105mm f/4 for Canon?

Brand New, $650 shipped.

I'm putting them up on eBay and I'll get $650 after fees anyway so I thought I'd give you guys a shot at a cheaper price.

snuck a few shots in as i crashed a wedding recently. using a sony NEX mirrorless system. all feedback is welcome

Last edited:
snuck a few shots in as i crashed a wedding recently. using a sony NEX mirrorless system. all feedback is welcome
I like the shot. Looks like it could go in a wedding editorial or magazine (if it wasn't for the exit signs in the back). Colors are lacking though, but that may just be the camera. You could do some PP and add some vibrance or saturation to it and bring up exposure a bit see if it looks better.

Didn't someone just get the 35L in here? Could I get a review or impressions on it? I'm looking at getting one soon.

much appreciated silkboi, i tried to find a way around the signs but couldn't :lol: im working on getting more saturation but my NEX doesnt quite have slr quality

I used the 85L. Been wanting to try and use it on the streets and not just in a controlled environment.

What ISO are you shooting? I really think that is the next lens I get. Saw one on CL brand new for $1800 but just don't want to burn money on it yet. When I rented it, I liked it but hardly used it properly. It's a great street lens for just shooting others without them knowing and that is something I never do since I am more of a wide angle guy. I think 24mm is as wide as I want to go now and start shooting outside of my comfort zone.

Back
Top Bottom