The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

DAMN. No matter what I do, I can NEVER replicate that film look and feel in PP. Good shots man! 

The best is to shoot with low saturation and pump up the sharpness in your settings. It's not so much that it is hard to PP it but looks better when you shoot like that off the bat in your camera so it doesn't looked forced. You could even tint your white balance to blue more to achieve a better look too. Of course you'd want to PP it all afterwards too.

Still....film is kind of a wonderful thing like that now. You just shoot and if it comes out right, no PP needed.

The best is to shoot with low saturation and pump up the sharpness in your settings. It's not so much that it is hard to PP it but looks better when you shoot like that off the bat in your camera so it doesn't looked forced. You could even tint your white balance to blue more to achieve a better look too. Of course you'd want to PP it all afterwards too.

Still....film is kind of a wonderful thing like that now. You just shoot and if it comes out right, no PP needed.
hmm...true. going to have to mess with my settings instead of depending on LR. thanks man.
What ISO are you shooting? I really think that is the next lens I get. Saw one on CL brand new for $1800 but just don't want to burn money on it yet. When I rented it, I liked it but hardly used it properly. It's a great street lens for just shooting others without them knowing and that is something I never do since I am more of a wide angle guy. I think 24mm is as wide as I want to go now and start shooting outside of my comfort zone.
I usually shoot in Manual, but when I shoot at night or do some street candids, I tend to shoot wide open in Aperture mode and just set my ISO to what I think will work. If I remember correctly, I shot this at 6400. I copped the 85 on ebay, a really big risk I know, but got it for about 1600. Did some dot tuning and microadjusted it and now it's as tack as it can be.

I LOVE the 24L. It was my first L lens and it's my GO TO for hitting up the streets over the 85L or the 70-200L. I tend to go ballsy with it and just creep up on people when I want the shot. 

some of my fav 24L shots (posted before i believe)

Last edited:
The 24L is so damn nice. :x

I keep telling myself that I'm going to save up for the 28mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8 but everytime I see pics of the 24L, I regress towards it.

Last edited:
Didn't someone just get the 35L in here? Could I get a review or impressions on it? I'm looking at getting one soon.
That's me.

I was shooting with a 28mm 2.8 prior to purchasing the 35L... so the speed in focusing had a pretty significant boost.

The 1.4 is great to have... although I try not to shoot completely open as I mostly always miss focus.

I'm shooting on a 5D Mark 2 so the actual 35mm focal length is pretty good as a walk around lens.

I saved a grip of cash by buying it used, so that was a plus.

----------------------

For those of you using BBF (back button focus), what servo mode are you shooting on? I'm shooting on AI Servo and seem to get a lot of missed focusing.

Do you guys switch it up depending on what you're shooting?

^^^^^I think it is the Mark 2 focusing system more so then the lens. I have tried to use the back focus more and found no real difference with the 24mm. I was shooting a damn pair of shoes with a lamp as a light source and you wouldn't believe how many photos just flat out was blurry. Very unforgiving body and lens combo but I've heard it is that much better with the Mark 3.

This video sort of shows the difference between the two with action shots:

^^^^^I think it is the Mark 2 focusing system more so then the lens. I have tried to use the back focus more and found no real difference with the 24mm. I was shooting a damn pair of shoes with a lamp as a light source and you wouldn't believe how many photos just flat out was blurry. Very unforgiving body and lens combo but I've heard it is that much better with the Mark 3.

This video sort of shows the difference between the two with action shots:

Not gonna lie. I have a heterosexual crush on Tony Northrup.

the 24L is the type of lense you can take on vacay and wont need anything else, the sharpness, colors, IQ, range is just sweet, gives shots such a dynamic feel, Im going to Miami and just like i did last year going to Hawaii, the 24L is all im packing.

anyways updated the blog with a new wedding if any of you in the mood to see...

http://elkincardonaphotography.com/blog/?p=6105

the 24L is the type of lense you can take on vacay and wont need anything else, the sharpness, colors, IQ, range is just sweet, gives shots such a dynamic feel, Im going to Miami and just like i did last year going to Hawaii, the 24L is all im packing.

anyways updated the blog with a new wedding if any of you in the mood to see...

http://elkincardonaphotography.com/blog/?p=6105

Yeah but you have Mark 3....so that isn't fair.

And yo....no offense to the bride and groom but talk about bringing two different types of families together. Good job Steez.

I take 24-105 for any trips - Great all around Lens very underrated. 

35L would be my second choice but, just to limited!

crazy how your business grows along with your clients, 4 years ago i met this family and shot his 3rd bday party, this passed weekend i shot his 7th, been the family photographer since...

i go shoot their parties and im treated as part of the fam, awesome feeling.

Can anyone recommend a good 50mm equivalent for the 7D?

Been reading a lot of mixed reviews about the Sigma 30, particularly the focusing with it.

Think i'm gonna order my 60D today. Unfortunately i won't be able to use it until i get home in mid September.

Been reading a lot of mixed reviews about the Sigma 30, particularly the focusing with it.

Get the pancake lense, heard awesome things about it, might be a bit longer than 50mm on your cropped body, but is probably the smallest lense you can put on your camera which is awesome!

I have the Sigma 30... Its treated me well thus far, if anything it might sliiiightly front focus but its easily correctable and I believe you can send it into sigma and they're good about fixing it for you.

Sample images from mine:

8624518523_1669264bff_b.jpg

8622883325_22327f2c3f_b.jpg

8623623614_5e1ec272c3_b.jpg

Look into the 28mm by canon, gets you close to 50mm. Go to your camera store and get a feel for it, may just be the lens you need.

crazy how your business grows along with your clients, 4 years ago i met this family and shot his 3rd bday party, this passed weekend i shot his 7th, been the family photographer since...

i go shoot their parties and im treated as part of the fam, awesome feeling.

Quick question Ksteezy, did you edit this picture all? If not, how do you get it to look so nice? Colors are great, shadows look nice too.

TO NIKETALK,

Looking for a backpack for my camera and 4 lens, any recommendations?

Looking for a backpack for my camera and 4 lens, any recommendations?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowepro-Fli...4?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item4ac52435d6

These were going for less than $50 in the last couple weeks... I'd try putting an offer of like 45 on it and seeing if itll work.

Photography-on-the-net's marketplace section was all over this one... Heres the thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1317789 Lot of people already got theirs and are happy.

Hey again fellas, needed a little bit more help and wanted your guys advice.

Would $460 be a good selling price for a T2i kit w/ lens, Canon 50mm 1.8, and shutter remote?

Back
Top Bottom