The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

props to you using strobes, i couldnt see myself lugging all that gear, i already hate lugging 5 lenses and 2 bodies :lol:

props to you using strobes, i couldnt see myself lugging all that gear, i already hate lugging 5 lenses and 2 bodies :lol:

I said never again!!! haha. I usually do a shoot with one strobe tho. I have the same Incase bag you have so I toss everything in there, put my apollo orb thru the tripod loop on the side, and carry the strobe on the lightstand in hand. I would love to get a pelican but then I would need to assemble more when I get to the shoot.

Thanks to @DaBottom305 for helping me on a shoot last month. We gotta link up again bro.

I said never again!!! haha. I usually do a shoot with one strobe tho. I have the same Incase bag you have so I toss everything in there, put my apollo orb thru the tripod loop on the side, and carry the strobe on the lightstand in hand. I would love to get a pelican but then I would need to assemble more when I get to the shoot.

Thanks to @DaBottom305 for helping me on a shoot last month. We gotta link up again bro.

:lol:

have you tried the ice light??....joint is a bit over priced, played with it a bit and it was alight, might not be enough light for your shoots though...

:lol:

have you tried the ice light??....joint is a bit over priced, played with it a bit and it was alight, might not be enough light for your shoots though...

I've seen videos. Constant lighting would be great for me to see where the shadows are falling since I'm not using my modeling light, but I also think that it might not be strong enough for me. I'm highly considering getting a AB1600. I also want to get into some natural light stuff at some point but I'm finally getting my own look with my strobes and want to build consistency before I move into other things.

It's a very cool option to have. I've realized that photography is all about options and how you make the best of them.I wish I knew back when I started what I know now about equipment because I wouldve saved time and money.

It's a very cool option to have. I've realized that photography is all about options and how you make the best of them.I wish I knew back when I started what I know now about equipment because I wouldve saved time and money.

So much this! I have the alien bees, external battery(non vagabond), and a few modifiers like parabolic umbrella and octobox.
I've wasted so much money with cheap little continuous lighting setups off Amazon. I wish I would've waited to invest in just some nice inexpensive, yet reliable equipment since I enjoy shooting in a controlled environment with strobes. I still learned a lot using the continuous lights, but they're just a pain overall.

Two shots from tonight.

VSCO edit:

late-nights-1.png

Original Edit:

late-nights-3a.png
late-nights-2.png

Last edited:
Man. Lighting equipment in America is so cheap. In japan, they try to rip you off so much. 500+ for a continuous light setup. 700+ for a low end flash. Its crazy. But recent chinese makers are slowly creeping in and releasing cheap but semi good quality equipment...

What strobe you're using with the Apollo orb? I'm using a yungnuo flash right now but I'm thinking about picking up this all in one flash that flash havoc is pushing for Adorama.

I've still yet to use my damn speedlites indoors properly and mostly cause I don't have a damn backdrop nor the space to hold one in my apartment. I only would want a strobe cause it'd be more ideal to use outdoors, but I guess not ideal in the sense of carrying around.

What strobe you're using with the Apollo orb? I'm using a yungnuo flash right now but I'm thinking about picking up this all in one flash that flash havoc is pushing for Adorama.

Alien Bee 800

No need for heavy stobes here. Shot both of these with a 430ex II and a cheap modifier.

Beast. Wish I had time to actually work on my craft.

I've still yet to use my damn speedlites indoors properly and mostly cause I don't have a damn backdrop nor the space to hold one in my apartment. I only would want a strobe cause it'd be more ideal to use outdoors, but I guess not ideal in the sense of carrying around.

It's actually not bad. Going to get my Vagabond attached to the light stand with a super clamp and bracket system. I will be fine. My issue is making sure my setup doesnt blow over.

Speedlite w/ 42" Apollo orb 85mm f2.

You can't miss with the tact sharp focusing on the 85 1.8

#selftrait
Canon or Nikon?

Canon only lol.

Fair enough. How do you like the Orb?

I love it as a modifier. I'm keen on wanting to push more light through it, but before that I want to play around with a 5-1 reflector then start adding more light sources. I think I can achieve the "looks" I'm going for with just one light and large octo, parabolic umbrellas, etc.. I've been watching some many videos on the tube that in my last few sessions I've gotten "the shot" from just the first couple snaps.

One thing I been noticing in Instagram

People tend to over process their images (=mad likes) or maybe Im not pushing mines the way I should ... SMH

With that said - I decided to push these and see what happens ...

15305896678_5c061cb90a_c.jpg

15305799660_f9a00660a1_c.jpg

15305819760_ce12dc0aa3_c.jpg

15305623479_2d7939b715_c.jpg

Last edited:
I just follow the same guidelines for all my edits, I love saturated tones and deep hues in my pics, so if you browse it you'll notice is pretty colorful...I'm practically the opposite of what VSOCAM offers :rofl:

Sheesh.

So I finally made the 6D purchase. Will have the 70D, 6D, 17-40 , and 24-105 in my arsenal. Looking to grab that 85mmand will probably dump the 17-40 for a 24-70. I would be interested to hear what everyone else is using to kind of update us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom