The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Pretty sure my wife is getting me a canon 70d bundle with a 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses... Pretty basic lenses. What should I buy to compliment those?

I'd suggest a nice, fast prime. I'm not familiar with Canon, but the 70D is a crop sensor right? I hear good things about the 40mm pancake lens. It's relatively cheap too.

On that crop sensor I'd check out the new 24mm pancake. If I had a Canon that'd be a no brainer pickup for me

tokes99 tokes99

It's just a bunch of people dressed up in Santa outfits and getting drunk. A lot of bars in the city had specials for anyone who purchased a wristband for the event and a portion of the proceeds went to the Wounded Warrior Project. I had a good time, I'd do it again.

i get it, very cool!

Pretty sure my wife is getting me a canon 70d bundle with a 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses... Pretty basic lenses. What should I buy to compliment those?

I'd suggest a nice, fast prime.

+1...between those 2 zooms you have got a pretty nice range covered, i'd suggest maybe shooting with those lenses for a hot minute and that may help you figure out a range where your next lens might be...

I got question and hopefully someone here can help. I'm looking into becoming a photographer but I don't know what steps to take.

Most people tell me go to school and whatnot I checked out one and they wanted $84,000 for 3-3 1/2 years that didn't sound right at all. One person told me I don't necessarily have to go to school. Just buy e-books and a nice came get out start shooting and use social media to get my name out there. Majority of the people i talk to aren't photographers nor have an interest in taking photos unless you can throw an IG filter on it.

Are there any photographers here (professional- non-professional) able to help me with what steps to take?

I would get a couple of fast primes. That 24 suggested earlier and a 50 for bokehlicious portraits or even the 85 for outdoors. They would be a 38, 80 and136mm equivalent on your crop.

I got question and hopefully someone here can help. I'm looking into becoming a photographer but I don't know what steps to take.

Most people tell me go to school and whatnot I checked out one and they wanted $84,000 for 3-3 1/2 years that didn't sound right at all. One person told me I don't necessarily have to go to school. Just buy e-books and a nice came get out start shooting and use social media to get my name out there. Majority of the people i talk to aren't photographers nor have an interest in taking photos unless you can throw an IG filter on it.

Are there any photographers here (professional- non-professional) able to help me with what steps to take?

not a professional but i don't think you can necessarily discount the value of quality education and being around other like-minded individuals, who likely all have a little bit a different point of view but are serious enough to invest in a path, all trying to do what you do and are obligated to get together discuss things...that being the case, it isn't really a profession where you necessarily NEED a degree and there probably isn't a better (or worse, depending on your perspective) time to get into photography. with consumer grade cameras being so good and wealth of information that exists on the interwebs, it definitely seems like there is good amount of opportunity outchea...

so i think step one would be (besides the obvious one of just start taking photos with whatever you currently have) #doyourgoogles to figure out what path(s) make sense for you...

loosies:

the road by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

middling by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

white mountains morning by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Last edited:
tokes99 tokes99 appreciate that I'll do a little more searching and see what fits my schedule and me as a person

Dope photos BTW

Bought Nikon L330 point and shoot, do you think I should practice around with that for awhile or would I need a DSLR to get good feeling about how the whole process work's?

^definitely wouldn't hurt, while you're figuring out how you're going to move and getting different opinions from others, to get practice in...

You don't NEED to bo to school to be a photographer, just like you don't need to go to school to know how to cook. BUT that education puts you ahead of the curve in some classic and factual areas that a self taught photographer won't know. For example knowing about what makes a picture by the book

well composed or cropped.

You don't have to be around people who are also interested in being photographers or taking pictures either. I know one other person that takes pics seriously but you can always network to get to know similar people in the area. IG has plenty of meet ups in many cities with photographers from that area .

1: Do you want to be a photographer or just like taking pictures

2: What kind of photography do you want to do

3: How much do you want to invest into photography

These are the first questions you kinda want to ask yourself, there are more things to consider but that first one is very important

iamdef iamdef I'm 100% sure it's something I want to do I've always like taking pictures since I was young and as I got older enjoyed it more

I never thought about what type of photography I'd be into but after thinking about things I've taken pictures of be I think I'd interested in

Wildlife, fashion, advertising, action, pet, marco, family, food, vehicle, and street
As far as investing I wanna invest enough to have the proper equipment, and to take the best photos I can for what field I'm in

Last edited:
^definitely wouldn't hurt, while you're figuring out how you're going to move and getting different opinions from others, to get practice in...

Now I know this is probably personal preference but as a beginner what would you recommend Cannon EOS Rebel T5 or the Nikon D3300

Don't say you're 100% sure until you're actually doing it. Its very hard to 'make it' as a living so you need to just get out there and get started. Then you can develop your style and see what you actually like. Everyone starting out lists a bunch of things like you did yourself because they have no focus and are unsure of what they want to do. Thats fine. Its only after you develop experience do you realize what you actually like to shoot and can make a living off of.

You definitely need a dslr or at least a mirrorless camera with manual controls to get started. You can easily get a cheap one used and invest in lenses. And if this truly what you want to do, you need to be all over google and photography forums/sites just soaking information in.

@iamDEF I'm 100% sure it's something I want to do I've always like taking pictures since I was young and as I got older enjoyed it more

I never thought about what type of photography I'd be into but after thinking about things I've taken pictures of be I think I'd interested in

Wildlife, fashion, advertising, action, pet, marco, family, food, vehicle, and street
As far as investing I wanna invest enough to have the proper equipment, and to take the best photos I can for what field I'm in
You'd def want to start off with your favorite medium of photography out of that list. You don't want to get swallowed up trying to do everything and end up doing a bunch of nothing. i started out wanting to do fashion photography and recently I have been caught up with trying to do family and street photography and neglecting the real reason why I started out. I and getting myself back in line with where I started out at because I got distracted.

The point and shoot you have will help you learn to compose shots and understand some basics, but a DSLR is needed so that you can get an understanding on how apeture, shutter speed, ISO, and so many other settings affect photography. Not to mention the capability of adding accessories like external flashes and such

some 90s vibes

presequel presequel right on i'm bout to start looking for some forums now. I do remembering reading that life will make a big chance but im willing to take the challenge. I'm 24 now still fairly young but I'm tired of working jobs just because the pay is coo and I have things to take care of, I actually want a job doing something I enjoy. I should've started earlier but I guess I had to live and learn.

iamdef iamdef once the new year rolls in I'll probably start looking for DSLR. The main fields I want to get into are street, vehicle, and food. After living in Atlanta for a year it's so much graffiti are cars and places with nice food I wanna take pics of. I don't get out as much as I used to now that my son was born a couple months ago, but now I have a decent camera I plan to get out when the weather is nice

The nike sb thread used to take all my reps. This thread has now taken its place.

Asked for advice a while back on what would be a good first dslr since I've never owned one before. Went to the store thinking T3i or T5i and ended up walking out with a Canon 70D about 2 months ago now. Appreciate those who actually replied btw.

Anyways, I also finally downloaded Lightroom a couple of weeks ago and still learning the basics. 

Can't wait to start posting pictures soon. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom