The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

It seems you are shooting with a long lens but get lower and flatter/lower if you can. In my opinion shoes look better at a profile and you should get more reflection and even more background blur.

Sort of like these below (not my photos course).

deepie.jpg
tumblr_nf3ybfKekW1rbgazio1_500.jpg

It seems you are shooting with a long lens but get lower and flatter/lower if you can. In my opinion shoes look better at a profile and you should get more reflection and even more background blur.

Sort of like these below (not my photos course).

deepie.jpg
tumblr_nf3ybfKekW1rbgazio1_500.jpg

I do have a longer lens on it but a couple things weren't working for the shots today.
I usually try to get nice and low for profile like you mentioned but there was a long gradual incline behind me so it wouldn't have really worked no matter how low I got. I was mainly trying to do something with a reflection and only randomly threw in the jump shots.

I do appreciate the input though! Still just trying to figure out a lot of stuff. Also tough to get the right shot on your lunch break.

As far as lenses do you or anyone else have a recommendation for a Nikon d3400? I have an 18-55mm f3.5 kit lens and also got a 55-200mm f4 dx VR which I have used the most. I think I want something like AF-s nikkor 35mm f1.8 for the real shallow DOF but totally open to suggestions.

Last edited:
^^^35mm f/1.8 G is definitely a good lens to start and won't break the bank. You could get the 50mm cheap plastic lens too but I think the best overall lens that makes sense for daily use is the 35mm.

Hey djyoung08 djyoung08 used one of your RAW photos to practice doing edits. Tried not to use any presets on Lightroom and working straight from scratch. This is what i came up with. Criticisms are welcomed

soooooo lightroom is way to much fun to play with

I know this isn't anything special but thought it was pretty cool 

Last edited:
Any recommendations on travel tripods? I have a promaster 7100, but am looking for something more compact for taking on planes and stuff.

Only way to upload larger/better images onto NT is by first having them on another site first?

I want to share a pic exported from Lightroom but the NT uploader is messing up the size and quality.

I was looking back at the post mr fongstar made but still confused 
frown.gif

Last edited:
^^^^^^Alright...try Tinypic: http://tinypic.com

After you upload the photo, there is an HTML link they provide. Copy and paste that here and it should work. I just did a test and it worked for the most part. If that doesn't I swear I don't get what's up.

23lo55w.jpg

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr figured it out...had to change the editor to "BB Code Editor"

Something I took yesterday during my half day of work...love shooting trains for some reason.

Edit: Some shots using my Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 on my 750

train-frozen-in-time1.jpg
the-path-isnt-always-straight1.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^Nice. I swear there was a mode somewhere. I didn't know where it was though.

Hopefully that answers things for everyone else as well.

Ok....horrible question to ask since I know there is no right answer. I am about to get a new lens right before I got on a 2 week trip to Europe. I am debating between either a 85mm lens or the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 II. @DJYoung08 .....I know you have both lenses so maybe you can chime in. I am trying to figure out which would be the better lens to have in the long run. I see pros and cons for both lenses. It seems the 70-200mm is great at the long lens at 200mm but if you are shooting at 70mm, the 85mm will definitely be the better lens to shoot with. Also I am not shooting just portraits and plan on using either or lens as a telephoto. I think this is where the 70-200mm will be great since there is obvious range. But I also don't want that lens to be discarded since it seems like a lens you would only use if and when you need it. I see tons of people online selling it cause they say they never use it and would rather get an 85mm for the convenience.

Anyways.....what would you guys get?

Ok....horrible question to ask since I know there is no right answer. I am about to get a new lens right before I got on a 2 week trip to Europe. I am debating between either a 85mm lens or the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 II. @DJYoung08 .....I know you have both lenses so maybe you can chime in. I am trying to figure out which would be the better lens to have in the long run. I see pros and cons for both lenses. It seems the 70-200mm is great at the long lens at 200mm but if you are shooting at 70mm, the 85mm will definitely be the better lens to shoot with. Also I am not shooting just portraits and plan on using either or lens as a telephoto. I think this is where the 70-200mm will be great since there is obvious range. But I also don't want that lens to be discarded since it seems like a lens you would only use if and when you need it. I see tons of people online selling it cause they say they never use it and would rather get an 85mm for the convenience.

If size and weight are not a factor 100% the 70-200.

the 85mm is obviously an outstanding lens but I really like the versatility of the 70-200.

The 70-200's only downfall in the choice is that its obviously really large and that it "only" opens up to 2.8.

the downfalls of the 85mm 1.2 is that its a fixed lens and you're kinda SOL if you want any more reach.

i'll put it this way... when i shoot the 70-200 i dont say "man i wish i could have more bokeh than what 2.8 lets me get". I say "man this thing is such a **** to lug around" :lol:

BTW -- the 85mm 1.2 is surprisingly heavy af :wow: :lol:

I would go 70-200 all day long. I wouldnt wanna risk missing the shot saying im a prime guy

some warmer weather recollections

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

:rofl:

saw the whole thing lining up through the viewfinder, i got several shoots of it as was developing, and what makes this even more funny to me was mother of the girl that got took out was standing a few feet from me saw it coming too & was laughing hysterically...the child on the other hand did not find it as funny, she didn't cry though, she thugged it out tough

obvious answer is both...practical answer is the zoom, especially if you aren't doing portraits a 2.8 70-200 is just going to be more versatile with the reach it gives you than a prime lens? for travel you prolly should consider renting a 24-70 or a 24-105; just something that goes from wide to telephoto because that seems like a more common usable range rather than short telephoto to telephoto, and that way you won't be switching lenses that often and can save some space in your carry on...

Last edited:
the

obvious answer is both...practical answer is the zoom, especially if you aren't doing portraits a 2.8 70-200 is just going to be more versatile with the reach it gives you than a prime lens? for travel you prolly should consider renting a 24-70 or a 24-105; just something that goes from wide to telephoto because that seems like a more common usable range rather than short telephoto to telephoto, and that way you won't be switching lenses that often and can save some space in your carry on...

24-70 is usually my walk around lens.

its a lot less aggressive in comparison to a 70-200 :lol:

the

24-70 is usually my walk around lens.

its a lot less aggressive in comparison to a 70-200 :lol:

right! i grabbed a 24-240 some months back, that while a bit chunky is relatively compact and while not a constant aperture it really is super convenient; there is nothing like have the option to use the flexibility & reach of a zoom...

Back
Top Bottom