The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

got my second and third rolls of film developed here a few. i can't lie i really dig the tones and feel. i know theres a long way to go as far as understanding the intricacies of film but for casual shooting and shooting for fun i think its really cool. while the topic is still fresh. can anyone comment on the nikon 35mm 1.8 for full frame vs. the tamron 35mm 1.8? maybe their personal experience with either of the two? the tamron seems to have positive reviews but mainly its because i feel like i wasted money on the 50mm that i barely touch. in retrospect i think had i known what i know now, i probably would have enjoyed and gotten more use out of a sharper 35mm. both are at similar price points, and have no intention of dropping 1300+ on a 1.4 at the moment.

don't you already use a 28mm? 35mm while not the same is pretty similar, why don't you rock with the 50mm?

Just came from a cruise to Cozumel Mexico and decided to rent a cam to capture the moments. I want to learn how to edit in lightroom but I saved each photo as jpeg+raw and each file is only showing up in iphoto as JPEG. Bummer

i would check that again, i know iphoto used to read raw files... i'd do some googles on it, i think iphoto might display/keep the jpgs & raws separately but only show the jpgs???

Anyone use the f/8 and be there rule? Thinking about doing a small project called f/8 and be there to try it out. Not sure though lol. I know it's mostly for manual focus but maybe I will try it out

Also has anyone tried these straps? Looking to get one for my film cameras. They have a clip at the bottom that can be removed so I can have 1 strap for multiple cameras. They have a cheaper version of this but idk the difference

https://www.dsptch.com/collections/straps/products/heavy-braided-camera-strap-black

Last edited:
got my second and third rolls of film developed here a few. i can't lie i really dig the tones and feel. i know theres a long way to go as far as understanding the intricacies of film but for casual shooting and shooting for fun i think its really cool. while the topic is still fresh. can anyone comment on the nikon 35mm 1.8 for full frame vs. the tamron 35mm 1.8? maybe their personal experience with either of the two? the tamron seems to have positive reviews but mainly its because i feel like i wasted money on the 50mm that i barely touch. in retrospect i think had i known what i know now, i probably would have enjoyed and gotten more use out of a sharper 35mm. both are at similar price points, and have no intention of dropping 1300+ on a 1.4 at the moment.

I think the Tamron is your safest bet. It's like a good bang for your buck lens and the focus is better than even the Sigma. I just think cause it's a f/1.8 that people get turned off by it. I almost had a chance to get the Tamron 85mm 1.8 for like $500 and am kind of disappointed I didn't.

On a side note, an old camera shop in SF is closing down and had a massive sale on old lenses and was left with a 300mm f/4 and a 300mm f/2.8. The f/2.8 was on sale for a $1000 where it is like $3K I think. It's just a beast of a lens and something that you'd only use for like sports or wildlife but that is one heck of a deal. Would you guys cop that?

got my second and third rolls of film developed here a few. i can't lie i really dig the tones and feel.

Those are some bomb scans bro. Especially love the bedroom shot. The dynamic range :wow:. Where did you get them processed?

^ Great video man

Haven't played with the tone curves much but I'm going to start 

Does anyone ever have to step away from editing a photo and come back to it?

Sometimes I think I have a great edit but take a break for a few hours or wait until the next day, open it up again and find I don't like it at all

Does anyone ever have to step away from editing a photo and come back to it?
Sometimes I think I have a great edit but take a break for a few hours or wait until the next day, open it up again and find I don't like it at all

Sometimes Ill hate stuff Ive shot......and come back to it months, and in some cases even a year or two later. Its one of the reasons I always keep every single last RAW file on a HDD.

Sometimes Ill hate stuff Ive shot......and come back to it months, and in some cases even a year or two later. Its one of the reasons I always keep every single last RAW file on a HDD.
I definitely need to get a external hard drive. I've got a trip to Glacier coming up this summer and will need some where safe to back everything up.

Those are some bomb scans bro. Especially love the bedroom shot. The dynamic range :wow:. Where did you get them processed?

hey i know you work with film so i had a question. do you have any tips on developing without a darkroom? i was thinking of those jobo developing tanks but those are rare now days

also i did find this, but im not sure. i would cop if i had the extra money though

hey i know you work with film so i had a question. do you have any tips on developing without a darkroom? i was thinking of those jobo developing tanks but those are rare now days

also i did find this, but im not sure. i would cop if i had the extra money though

I thought about getting that too. I actually cancelled my order haha. I realized you don't really need all that to develop film. All you need is a changing bag and whatever tank/reel combo you want.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?&ci=800&N=4077265209+4228644514&origSearch=changing bag

If you want plastic, go for this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886586-REG/Paterson_Universal_Tank_with_Two.html

I prefer the steel tanks. First one is for one roll, the second is for two rolls or one roll of 120.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/536021-REG/Kalt_NP10113_Stainless_Steel_35mm_Tank.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/357680-REG/Kalt_NP10114_Stainless_Steel_Developing_Tank.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/714526-REG/Hewes_EKC009_35mm_Stainless_Steel_Developing.html

don't you already use a 28mm? 35mm while not the same is pretty similar, why don't you rock with the 50mm?

thanks for the reply. the dialogue is appreciated. it just seems like the 35 is more suitable and forgiving to be an all around length than the 28mm. i love the 28 for travel but in regard to taking photos of people and stuff the 28 seems to make things seem smaller and kinda throw off proportions a bit but for the 35, astronaut's recent stuff makes it look balanced and more versatile. i know the 7mm difference is trivial im just thinking out loud but with the 50 it seems like its just not wide enough.

there is a pretty huge camera/photography/video mall here in shanghai that is a museum of sorts, but also offering tons of services alongside selling gear both new and used. i just chose a shop that sells, scans and develops film and speaks english lol. its about $6 usd equivalent to scan per roll.

Haha I only want it because it cost the same as all the other developing equipment. I developed when I took film photography classes last year but idk. Probably going with the changing bag method.It's easier and more convenient for me to use this lab box thing tho lol.just sucks that if I got one I still couldn't develop until it arrives and that will take forever to ship lmao.

Hello fam, I am planning a few trips this summer Vancouver Canada, Paris France, and Beijing China....

As far as China goes, is there any sneaker spots or must see places??? Trying to accumulate a list in advance to hit up some dope spots...

On a side note, an old camera shop in SF is closing down and had a massive sale on old lenses and was left with a 300mm f/4 and a 300mm f/2.8. The f/2.8 was on sale for a $1000 where it is like $3K I think. It's just a beast of a lens and something that you'd only use for like sports or wildlife but that is one heck of a deal. Would you guys cop that?

that sounds like a pretty good deal for someone who does portrait work, the bokeh with the added compression of 300mm at f2.8 should be quite magical, might be worth the price to break out for when you needed something extra....

thanks for the reply. the dialogue is appreciated. it just seems like the 35 is more suitable and forgiving to be an all around length than the 28mm. i love the 28 for travel but in regard to taking photos of people and stuff the 28 seems to make things seem smaller and kinda throw off proportions a bit but for the 35, astronaut's recent stuff makes it look balanced and more versatile. i know the 7mm difference is trivial im just thinking out loud but with the 50 it seems like its just not wide enough.

i get you, just curious, would have thought 50mm would have been good money for you for the street stuff you shoot...but goes to show how personal lens selection can be...

Hello fam, I am planning a few trips this summer Vancouver Canada, Paris France, and Beijing China....

As far as China goes, is there any sneaker spots or must see places??? Trying to accumulate a list in advance to hit up some dope spots...

china is a HUGE country fam, where are you headed? i'd venture to guess it'd have to be beijing, HK , or shanghai but you maybe you're more adventurous?

randoms:

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

jodeva89 jodeva89 Dopeeee. Btw, how do you like your F100? I'm thinking about picking one up.

i really like it and appreciate it honestly man. its kinda bigger than what i had in mind at first but its built nicely and feels good in hand. the metering system is friendly and it was a good camera for me to transition and experiment with film having only experience with digital prior. i think later down the road i see myself acquiring more of a true analog film camera but for its purpose im happy with the decision to spend $150 on it and still be able to use the lenses that i have. so far so good lol, can't complain.

Back
Top Bottom