The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Is there any way to keep the quality/sharpness when taking photos with my DSLR and uploading it onto IG stories?

For reference, I'm using a 5D MK II and transferring the files onto my Flickr. I then download the files and when I upload them to an IG story, it seems like IG story substantially lessens the quality, although when I upload them as a normal IG post, the quality is fine.

Do I just need to resize the pictures, crop, etc?

Been away for a few weeks. The weather wasn't great the first week - had this weird low hanging cloud so all the scenery was boring - but it got better and I spent a few days chasing this train. They use 2 steam trains during the summer but it still only goes twice a day (and on the return journey the locomotive is going backwards so doesn't look as good). I spent ages looking at timetables and then scouting locations. Got a couple of decent ones I think.

This one slightly annoys me because it could have been great - but I was shooting on high speed multiple frames and after about 6 it hesitates just for a fraction - so I have this frame and then the train is right at the end of the viaduct, just inbetween would have been better. I went back last night to try again but the weather was awful and all I managed to do it soak all my gear.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/MtBq8f]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28erPAi]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28erRtr]
[/url][/url][/url]

Been following the thread for awhile, a lot of your guys shots are stunning!!

Have a Nikon D60 that I’ve been starting to shoot with again with the kit lens (18-55mm), and want to start shooting more landscapes and cityscapes.

Looking at getting the 35mm f/1.8 lens just to help with certain low light settings...
is there a different lens I should be looking to instead? Or would you guys advise I first look to a better camera body from which to shoot?

Really appreciate any help as I begin taking better pictures.

Hm .. I would usually say to get the lens, but the body is pretty old. Wouldn't hurt to get something newer.

You'll probably be happy with the lens tho.

Been following the thread for awhile, a lot of your guys shots are stunning!!

Have a Nikon D60 that I’ve been starting to shoot with again with the kit lens (18-55mm), and want to start shooting more landscapes and cityscapes.

Looking at getting the 35mm f/1.8 lens just to help with certain low light settings...
is there a different lens I should be looking to instead? Or would you guys advise I first look to a better camera body from which to shoot?

Really appreciate any help as I begin taking better pictures.

i say #runwhatyoubrung! at least starting out, smartphone, toy camera, or d60 in your case...just getting familiar with whatever you are shooting with & how to manipulate it to get images you want & are happy with is (somewhat) independent of having a certain camera or lens. of course there are limitations, but they can be useful in understanding what it is you want or can do...and especially if you want to focus on city/landscapes, you really don’t need a fast lens...rather you might want to go with a decent, sturdy tripod!

one thing that can be helpful is using some cataloging software (like lightroom, photos on a mac, or the program that comes with the camera) to examine the images you are taking/have taken with you 18-55mm, and check out around what focal length most of your favorite images are at; that might help you decide on what lens(es) you might want to look into...

randoms:

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

Last edited:
What's your guys' post-production process like? Do you guys incorporate Photoshop to your flow?

If so, what do you guys do in Photoshop to get your photo the way you like it?

I'll use Photoshop if I'm removing blemishes (acne, oily skin, uneven skintone, etc). I like controls of the clone and healing brush in PS better than Light Room. This is just for portraits though; and after they've been imported and adjusted in Light Room.

Colchuck+1.jpg

^^^^^I had on a polarizer and ND filter but the water was pretty clear for the most part. The bad thing about using a polarizer on a wide angle lens is it won't cut all the reflections in one shot. I could have shot it stacked but I was sort of pressed for time on the sun. I would have loved more of a reflection from the mountain but it just wasn't happening that day.

^^^^^I had on a polarizer and ND filter but the water was pretty clear for the most part. The bad thing about using a polarizer on a wide angle lens is it won't cut all the reflections in one shot. I could have shot it stacked but I was sort of pressed for time on the sun. I would have loved more of a reflection from the mountain but it just wasn't happening that day.

Came out super clean nonetheless. I got both filters and haven’t staked them. Gonna do that probably on tomorrow’s shoot.

Uno mas. Funny how IG has made me shoot more vertical photos now. I don't even think I shoot horizontal anymore. The power of the app.

And I really hate how Squarespace artifacts my photos so much. I think on 4k monitors its better but on normal photos, the photos just don't look like what is on my computer.

Colchuck+2.jpg

I’m going to Hawaii Oahu to be exact in sep does anyone here do photography or know of anyone out their that does. Need someone for a few hours while out their any help would be appreciated. message me
Plan to propose and would like to capture the moment

I always do some severe sharpening when I post photos on IG. I still doesn't keep the quality but it helps it a lot. I at least boost it 25 or more on IG.

After seeing you guys talk about using IG to do some minor adjustments I've tried and yea it does add a lil bit more to the pics. Just finished a senior portrait yesterday, gonna try to remember to post some tonight

I'm really thinking about going to either Chicago or Francisco for some pictures.

If SF, anyone know the cheapest places to stay, yet close to GSB and other nice photo ops?

What do you guys think is the best flash for a d3400? Not looking for anything too expensive or fancy.

I got one of those Neewer ones on Amazon last year and it’s been good. Great value and does everything I need it to.

I'm really thinking about going to either Chicago or Francisco for some pictures.

If SF, anyone know the cheapest places to stay, yet close to GSB and other nice photo ops?

only been to sf once, that was quite a few years ago before it really got expensive...but i remember it being a comparatively (relative to a place like chicago) small city...if you’re looking to save some coins might sense to find a place a lil’ farther out and just rent a car or find a place near one of the bart lines??

Back
Top Bottom