The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

What camera bags do you guys use? Im thinking about picking up a billingham hadley.. but im not sure if its worth the price tag

Originally Posted by GMA 11

What camera bags do you guys use? Im thinking about picking up a billingham hadley.. but im not sure if its worth the price tag

I have a Incase Sling DSLR bag that I got on Christmas. I like it.

I also have a Lowepro sling bag sitting here too. So if anyone wants that lmk.

I'm using a lowepro classified 180AW. I like it cause it looks nothing like a camera bag on the outside.

4162375270_8de855a2ca.jpg

4162375684_2877a967df.jpg

I really wish I went the sling route. I thought having a backpack would make me just feel better since I always thought sling backpacks looked stupid. But it is so not user friendly to always take it off and then unzip it. The sling for what i do with only 3 lenses would be so much better.

Originally Posted by Clevereddie

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Quick question I know you guys recommended the d40 for me a few weeks ago but was just wondering

Canon Rebel XSi or Nikon d40?
Rebel XSi for sure! 
XSi. Check out this discussion: http://www.computerforum.com/131187-nikon-d40-vs-canon-rebel-xsi.html. I started with a D40x, and the user interface on Nikon is significantly easier when starting, but that's not all that important in the grand scheme of things. If I had started with Canon, I would have two more lenses or one more L or EF lens now since I switched.

Crumpler 6 MDH is probably better for your budget, and they come very highly recommended. Adorama has it for $112, and if you can't get free shipping online, if you call and ask if it qualifies for free shipping they might hook you up anyways.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

I also have a Lowepro sling bag sitting here too. So if anyone wants that lmk.
Which one and how much?
nerd.gif
  PM me pics if you can and a price. I was gonna cop one, but I'd just as soon buy it used at a lower price. (I suppose this could've been a PM, but I already typed it.)

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

What is a good entry level SLR? Trying to get away from the P&S

What's your budget, what do you plan on shooting, what time of day do you want to shoot, and what focal length are you gonna need (do you need a long zoom)? The first page of the thread has a bunch of great links that can help, too.

NikeAirsNCrispyTees

My fiance is starting photography and I just want something to do a little bit of everything so when she forces me on these excursions I'm not bored. I just bought her a Canon 50D kit. I was looking at a Rebel or a 40d. Wanted to go used since I am not making it a profession. Budget is around 250 or so for a used older model I think. What are your thoughts.

NikeAirsNCrispyTees

My fiance is starting photography and I just want something to do a little bit of everything so when she forces me on these excursions I'm not bored. I just bought her a Canon 50D kit. I was looking at a Rebel or a 40d. Wanted to go used since I am not making it a profession. Budget is around 250 or so for a used older model I think. What are your thoughts.
If you find a 40D for $250 please let me know so that I can get a couple as well. With that budget, I can hardly recommend anything, really. Here's your best bet, assuming your fiancee will let you borrow a lens (probably an 18-55mm IS).

Rather than spending money just so you "aren't bored," why not try to be a subject for her photos so she can hone her portrait skills and eventually benefit financially from all your help, making you eligible for her bringing you flowers...or the male equivalent...from time to time?

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

NikeAirsNCrispyTees

If you find a 40D for $250 please let me know so that I can get a couple as well. With that budget, I can hardly recommend anything, really. Here's your best bet, assuming your fiancee will let you borrow a lens (probably an 18-55mm IS).

Rather than spending money just so you "aren't bored," why not try to be a subject for her photos so she can hone her portrait skills and eventually benefit financially from all your help, making you eligible for her bringing you flowers...or the male equivalent...from time to time?
Cool. Thanks for your help. I spent grip on that 50D kit and a little more on the extra lenses she wanted so tied to go cheap for myself and share her lenses. Its cool, I will find something. We went out today and the 50D is stupid nice. Hope to share some of her work with you guys later.

Barely taken a picture in the last 12 months but I've just been fiddling with some panos for my office wall.

I've posted the first one before before I had edited it but the "coos" one is new.

2gy5d9j.jpg

2dc9v6u.jpg

Billingham is more of a stylish luxury brand.

I own a Lowepro Nova 4, Lowepro Stealth Reporter D300 AW, Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home and a Think Tank Urban Disguise 35 shown below:

332lzfa.jpg

I love this bag because of its versatility. It can carry a gripped/pro body, 70-200, 2 primes and 1 speedlite:

148m4d1.jpg

If you use a gripless body, it can be modified to fit a 13" Macbook.

XS vs. XSi

i had my mind set on the XS, but it seems like a lot more people on the XSi, is it really worth the money for the upgrade?

SkeeM #+% wrote:
XS vs. XSi

i had my mind set on the XS, but it seems like a lot more people on the XSi, is it really worth the money for the upgrade?
I don't know much about Canon's entry-level sensors, but strictly speaking on MP, 10.1 is more than enough for even an 11"x17" print. 60 bucks for 2MP more (Amazon) probably isn't worth it. But like I said, MPs don't really matter. I think Fong and Santi can probably answer this one better. Questions about Canon prosumer sensors and Nikon entry-level sensors, those questions I can answer.

Pixels don't matter and especially for the most part since most people use DSLRs on here for web use. You might notice some grain if you printed a 24X36 poster between the XS and the XSi but even at that, it can be marginal. I think the XS and XSi are pretty much the same camera aside from a couple of differences like a faster continuous shot (XSi=3.5 Vs XS=3), bigger screen and other such features.

But it is really up to the shooter. Are these things important to you like a larger screen? And are you going to be into photography in the long run or is this a one time deal? More than likely if you are into this thing, you will be selling this camera in the near future. Maybe just get yourself the XS and put the rest of the money on a lens and then sell the body and save the lens for when you upgrade. If you get an XSi, then you might as well save up for the T1i instead.

A few shots from the Temple vs. Dayton game from Wednesday night. I used my 7D and Canon 28-105mm lens for the entire game (with ISO at 4000).

4387175099_99c3617433.jpg

4387937262_f9ce140bac.jpg

4387176247_cc2e0e4328.jpg

4387176555_eef9fa511f.jpg

4387177733_95683b5930.jpg

4387179217_7e60e5e784.jpg

4387940432_30633e8508.jpg

The full set can be viewed here.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Pixels don't matter and especially for the most part since most people use DSLRs on here for web use. You might notice some grain if you printed a 24X36 poster between the XS and the XSi but even at that, it can be marginal. I think the XS and XSi are pretty much the same camera aside from a couple of differences like a faster continuous shot (XSi=3.5 Vs XS=3), bigger screen and other such features.

But it is really up to the shooter. Are these things important to you like a larger screen? And are you going to be into photography in the long run or is this a one time deal? More than likely if you are into this thing, you will be selling this camera in the near future. Maybe just get yourself the XS and put the rest of the money on a lens and then sell the body and save the lens for when you upgrade. If you get an XSi, then you might as well save up for the T1i instead.
tru, i'll probably get the XS, only reason i ask was cuz i held the XSi the other day and i liked the feel of it more then i liked the XS,

Is an external grip the only way to extend battery life on the t1i? I dunno why but i cant seem to get more then an 45 mins of solid shooting time without having to recharge it? I know its not going to last as long as the D90 with the kit battery but dam..

Originally Posted by PltcsAsUsual

Is an external grip the only way to extend battery life on the t1i? I dunno why but i cant seem to get more then an 45 mins of solid shooting time without having to recharge it? I know its not going to last as long as the D90 with the kit battery but dam..

45 minutes of straight video or photos? If you're only getting 45 minutes of shooting time for photos then something may be wrong. You should be able to get 400 photos, but only 170 using LV. If you're using LV then you should consider buying an extra battery or a grip+extra battery.

Back
Top Bottom