The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

from the last time i was home, i shot a baptism for my family.
tumblr_lavz1xfPSJ1qaslc4o1_r1_1280.jpg

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

shessh, if you don't mind me asking. How much did you spend on the lens and where did you get it? I'm trying to find an equivalent lens for canon.
The Nikon 14-24 retails at around $1750. The Canon equivalent is the EF 16-35 f/2.8L II which costs around $1500 brand new. He shoots with a D700 so unless you're shooting with a full frame camera like the 5D or 1Ds...you won't get the same wide-angle look.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

shessh, if you don't mind me asking. How much did you spend on the lens and where did you get it? I'm trying to find an equivalent lens for canon.
The Nikon 14-24 retails at around $1750. The Canon equivalent is the EF 16-35 f/2.8L II which costs around $1500 brand new. He shoots with a D700 so unless you're shooting with a full frame camera like the 5D or 1Ds...you won't get the same wide-angle look.
So, I HAVE to use a full-frame camera to get those type of shots? I'm using a crop-frame right now
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

So, I HAVE to use a full-frame camera to get those type of shots? I'm using a crop-frame right now
frown.gif

Get the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. It's as wide as you can get on a crop frame.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/tokina11-16mm/pool/
http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=12955

And Canon has the 14mm prime L lens that is over $2000. The lens is so dope but it just so expensive for a prime. Might as well get the 16-35mm lens instead.

Why do professionals/serious photographers prefer full-frame camera's over the crop frame? Is it because you can go wider? Besides that, are there any other significant differences?

Originally Posted by 1000xCartel

I have a few question/concerns with this photography thing. I'm new to it..
So do y'all just walk around with cameras looking for things to shoot? Do you already have it planned out of what y'all are looking for?

Also.. for the ones who do pics of girls... How do y'all get the girls to cooperate with the shooting, like do y'all just go up to em and ask? Pay them?

Thanks

Anybody?

@ Cartel, walk around with your camera and keep shooting. There is no harm and no foul if you do. In regards to girls, you have to work your way up. You could pay girls to shoot but if you have no experience, it'll show.

@Poetic Jays, this should explain why full frame is better:

full-frame-crop-factor.jpg

and if you don't get it, think about this way: would you rather have tunnel vision or see everything? Crop sensors take away from the scenery but that's not to say that it's bad, it's just better to capture a lot more than a lot less.

Originally Posted by 1000xCartel

1000xCartel wrote:

I have a few question/concerns with this photography thing. I'm new to it..
So do y'all just walk around with cameras looking for things to shoot? Do you already have it planned out of what y'all are looking for?

Also.. for the ones who do pics of girls... How do y'all get the girls to cooperate with the shooting, like do y'all just go up to em and ask? Pay them?

Thanks

Anybody?

I walk around with my camera all the time. That is the whole fun of photography is to just capture whatever you see on a daily basis. I mean to a certain extent, some shoots are planned if it is a gig or if you are going to....say a concert, but the whole fun of it is to be creative and shoot whatever you see. As far as pics with girls, I am sure some people hire or get hired by women that want photos or you can be sneaky and just take pics of people without them knowing. I mean are trying to actually get pictures that look like legitimate model shoots? Try asking friends or even getting low budget models if you are trying to practice that all.

Originally Posted by PoeticJays

Why do professionals/serious photographers prefer full-frame camera's over the crop frame? Is it because you can go wider? Besides that, are there any other significant differences?

I used to ask this question all the time. I believe it has to do that film cameras were all full frame back in the days and I think digi cameras introduced the crop frame. So traditional photographers that want to achieve the same look and picture size as a film camera, they have to get a full frame camera.

I also found this on a site:

Full frame or FX camera characteristics:

* Record higher details with high-quality digital or film lens.
* Great noise handling in high ISO. Approx. 2 times cleaner.
* Bigger viewfinder
* Image captured has shallower depth of field
* Not compatible with DX optimized lens.
* Camera is heavier and bigger in size
* Higher price

Crop frame or DX camera characteristics:

* Longer reach, 100mm lens in camera that have crop factor of 2 is 200mm
* Compatible with many lenses, FX or DX
* Record fewer details
* Lighter to carry
* Cheaper price

^ Thanks.. what if I'm on a beach with my camera, does anybody ask random girls to pose so I can shoot some shots?

How do people get invited to events to be the main photographer?

off topic but anyone know where i can get those Beatles figures.? thanks

EDIT: NEVERMIND AINT PAYING $1000+ FOR THESE     

^^^You have to come pretty professional or proper to pull that off. I mean for the most part, taking someone's photos can be pretty invading of their space. I am sure anyone will ask what the photos are for and even if you were to explain that it was for practice or for your own personal portfolio, they might get weirded out and say no. But I know some people that have shot women on here before (DJ Bana) and they seemed to be ok with it. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask but don't be like some perv that just wants photos. Also it helps to even have a business card and to show the photos after you take them so they know it is tasteful.

And about your second question....it really is who you know on getting gigs at events. Photographers are a dime a dozen, so don't expect to just jump into a club or a concert venue and have them throwing tons of cash at you. From what I have heard, you don't get paid well at stuff like that. I think the easiest and most high paying thing as a amateur photographer is for weddings. You can at least see a couple a grand from that but then you have to produce some quality stuff that will please the bride and groom.

Originally Posted by solemunchies

@ Cartel, walk around with your camera and keep shooting. There is no harm and no foul if you do. In regards to girls, you have to work your way up. You could pay girls to shoot but if you have no experience, it'll show.

@Poetic Jays, this should explain why full frame is better:

full-frame-crop-factor.jpg

and if you don't get it, think about this way: would you rather have tunnel vision or see everything? Crop sensors take away from the scenery but that's not to say that it's bad, it's just better to capture a lot more than a lot less.

so basically what you're saying is that you can go wider. Take a few steps back and the 'tunnel vision' will equal what you see on the full frame right?

it seems like full-frame is better for landscape and pictures where u go wide, but it would hurt you if you're mainly shooting telephoto.

So theoretically, if you were to shoot things like sports or macro that require telephoto, wouldn't a crop senor actually be better?

I understand all the professional lens/cameras are full frame. Could they make a professional crop frame camera or do they just choose not to? I'd think if they had one, it would help the sports photographers that use those 400m lens

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

^^^You have to come pretty professional or proper to pull that off. I mean for the most part, taking someone's photos can be pretty invading of their space. I am sure anyone will ask what the photos are for and even if you were to explain that it was for practice or for your own personal portfolio, they might get weirded out and say no. But I know some people that have shot women on here before (DJ Bana) and they seemed to be ok with it. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask but don't be like some perv that just wants photos. Also it helps to even have a business card and to show the photos after you take them so they know it is tasteful.

And about your second question....it really is who you know on getting gigs at events. Photographers are a dime a dozen, so don't expect to just jump into a club or a concert venue and have them throwing tons of cash at you. From what I have heard, you don't get paid well at stuff like that. I think the easiest and most high paying thing as a amateur photographer is for weddings. You can at least see a couple a grand from that but then you have to produce some quality stuff that will please the bride and groom.

Thanks so how would you recommend starting off. And where do you keep you're portfolio

Originally Posted by PoeticJays

so basically what you're saying is that you can go wider. Take a few steps back and the 'tunnel vision' will equal what you see on the full frame right?

it seems like full-frame is better for landscape and pictures where u go wide, but it would hurt you if you're mainly shooting telephoto.

So theoretically, if you were to shoot things like sports or macro that require telephoto, wouldn't a crop senor actually be better?

I understand all the professional lens/cameras are full frame. Could they make a professional crop frame camera or do they just choose not to? I'd think if they had one, it would help the sports photographers that use those 400m lens

Wider in what your camera picks up which is ALWAYS a plus. If you were shooting with a telephoto lens, you'll get more in the shot rather than getting something cropped out because of the sensor. In theory, yeah it would be more but think about it, would you capture less? or capture more?

I know some that have the mid-sensor crop and they're fine with it. The higher end cameras are designed to be versatile for any type of shooting situation. From what I know, I know that the 1D Mkiii and the 5D have a major difference that I see and it was shutter speed capability. The 1D is able to capture things faster than the 5D can and that's useful in sporting type events. The higher you go in the camera bodies the more quirks you have and full frame is probably one of the best quirks that you can get.

Back
Top Bottom