The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Not gonna cap like I’m a watch aficionado so what’s a nice versatile watch you can rock dressed up & dressed down with?

Something in the $500-$2K range.

There's some decent Seiko's for well under 500
This is my favourite seiko and the best thing is not many people are aware of the model....
SeikoSKX031_2.jpg
P8130069.jpg

The feel of a vintage sub, similar shape and bracelets but with applied dial markers that would today command a premium. It also has a screw down crown and drilled lugs.

If I had a two liner I’d toss it on a leather strap

This for sure. They look amazing on leather straps. I can’t say the same for the supercase, but you probably wouldn’t want to switch out that bracelet anyways.

Edit - 14060m wins the versatility vote for me

Last edited:
Also, Seikos can be modded. There's actually quite a big Seiko mod community. You can upgrade the movements, change bezels, hands, dial, glass, etc. I'm planning on eventually modding a SKX. I've bought and sold that watch too many times :smh:

114060 looks just as good on a leather strap... not sure id call the 14060 more versatile

if anything, the 114060 would be the more versatile one... its more robust, ceramic bezel is scratch proof and won't discolor, bracelets much tougher and solid, glidelocks adjustments are unmatched... its a watch i worry the least when wearing

Also, Seikos can be modded. There's actually quite a big Seiko mod community. You can upgrade the movements, change bezels, hands, dial, glass, etc. I'm planning on eventually modding a SKX. I've bought and sold that watch too many times :smh:
The skx007 is good for anyone starting out but I have to say I barely wear mine. On the subject of nodding the average bros YouTube channel has an amazing modded six that must have cost close to 1k to do but it looks great.

114060 looks just as good on a leather strap... not sure id call the 14060 more versatile

if anything, the 114060 would be the more versatile one... its more robust, ceramic bezel is scratch proof and won't discolor, bracelets much tougher and solid, glidelocks adjustments are unmatched... its a watch i worry the least when wearing
I agree 100% but I'm biased.

I think that the two line 14060 is a great watch I just find the dial really sparse. There's just too much space on the dial for a very simplistic design.

IMO, the 114060 looks more clunky on a leather strap. Therefore, I’d just keep it on the bracelet. I think the 14060/m works well on both bracelet and strap, which is why I consider it more versatile.

As for robustness, you’re right as all newer watches should be. Worrying about damaging a watch is up to the wearer. I know people like to baby the heck out of their “robust” watches too, so that argument sort of goes out the door.

I’m not sure what OP likes, but he could be the type who digs the look of a well worn aluminum bezel over a glossy ceramic one. This also brings me back to the robustness aspect. Does OP prefer a cracked ceramic bezel or a scratch/ding on an aluminum one?

It may never happen, but replacing a ceramic bezel is way pricier than the aluminum. On the other hand, the 14060 might require a more immediate service on the movement.

i dont find it clunky on a leather strap, it probably looks better on a rubber strap but looks are subjective but on the looks department i think its a wash in terms of versatility, only the most observant of eyes and by staring it at will you notice the big difference (then again you buy it for you so you just got to like what you like but to me buying a watch and you need to put it on a leather strap because the bracelet is wonky - and bad end links? i forget if its hollow on the 14060 - means you got to really love that watch for it is with no alternatives)

robustness and babying watches doesn't necessarily make it an invalid point because you are still comparing a new watch to an old one and if you compare the two, one would likely baby the older one than a newer one not to mention that if you keep both on a bracelet then the 114060 can take more beating

i dont need to know what exactly the op likes in detail because he asked which is better between the two so that means he probably wants something that is more on a pristine look than the vintage with patina look or else why consider the 114060?

and the watch will have to take a huge hit to crack the bezel while the odds of scratching it is way higher than cracking the ceramic bezel, you can easily scratch the bezel desk diving

i guess the only thing i'll say is if you are one who drops your watch a lot then don't go for the 114060 but then again if you already drop your watch a lot then you just rick damaging the crystal and movement inside so maybe look for something else... perhaps?

i also just dont like that hole on the lugs
DSC02278.JPG

This is my favourite seiko and the best thing is not many people are aware of the model....
SeikoSKX031_2.jpg
P8130069.jpg

The feel of a vintage sub, similar shape and bracelets but with applied dial markers that would today command a premium. It also has a screw down crown and drilled lugs.

What’s the model number? Thanks.

i dont find it clunky on a leather strap, it probably looks better on a rubber strap but looks are subjective but on the looks department i think its a wash in terms of versatility, only the most observant of eyes and by staring it at will you notice the big difference (then again you buy it for you so you just got to like what you like but to me buying a watch and you need to put it on a leather strap because the bracelet is wonky - and bad end links? i forget if its hollow on the 14060 - means you got to really love that watch for it is with no alternatives)

robustness and babying watches doesn't necessarily make it an invalid point because you are still comparing a new watch to an old one and if you compare the two, one would likely baby the older one than a newer one not to mention that if you keep both on a bracelet then the 114060 can take more beating

i dont need to know what exactly the op likes in detail because he asked which is better between the two so that means he probably wants something that is more on a pristine look than the vintage with patina look or else why consider the 114060?

and the watch will have to take a huge hit to crack the bezel while the odds of scratching it is way higher than cracking the ceramic bezel, you can easily scratch the bezel desk diving

i guess the only thing i'll say is if you are one who drops your watch a lot then don't go for the 114060 but then again if you already drop your watch a lot then you just rick damaging the crystal and movement inside so maybe look for something else... perhaps?

i also just dont like that hole on the lugs
DSC02278.JPG

I don’t think any of the links are solid on the 14060, but it doesn’t feel bad to me. It was only when the new bracelet was introduced, everyone suddenly could not stand the old one. I do see why it’s hard to choose something old when the newer one is lightyears better.

I was in OP’s shoes not too long ago, but my decision was made based on the case and dial. I also prefer the drilled lug holes with the tapered lugs.

The thought of being the watch’s first owner is nice. I still like the 114060 very much and may one day add it to the collection because it’s a noticeably different watch. If OP wasn’t looking for a 2 liner, I’d say go with the new 114060.

Those new Garmin Smartwatches at $1,500+ looking like the company really pushing some boundaries they shouldn't.

New reference. SBDX017 was discontinued. This is SLA021. Now has sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel.

Back
Top Bottom