The Top Four Things People in Their Twenties Waste Money On

i wouldn't call going out and blowing 75 on drinks once a week a waste.  it's fun and i don't see the harm there.  yeah if you're broke don't spend your last 75 bucks in the club. but if it's in your budge who cares.  thats all i'm guilty of.  i go out to eat a lot, but that's because it's what enjoy and it's part of my job.  besides i eat for free at work 5 nights a week. that's saving me thousands a year.

does anybody still pregame?

Everybody I know in DC (expensive #@* city) still pregames before hitting the bars. 
laugh.gif

I guess you know its sad when you do none of these things and still don't have money.

Where is COLLEGE LOANS!!! on that list??!?!

My list
1. College Loans
2. House + utilities
3. Gas (65 miles to work and 65 miles home equates to about $320 a month in gas)
4. Clothes and shoes (I am single so thankfully i don't have to spend much on woman aside from dates here and there)

I bring my lunch every single day to work (i spend $30 a week at the grocery store on lunch material) $6 a day.
My mortgage is cheap $1100 a month split in half then + Utilities so we each pay around $800 a month.

If i go out i go out wasted.  Pre game real heavy, go out have 1-2 beers to keep the buzz alive / to hold something at the bar.  Sober up and go home.

If you can't waste time and money on partying in your twenties, then when can you?
When you're married with kids and a mortgage?

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

i wouldn't call going out and blowing 75 on drinks once a week a waste.  it's fun and i don't see the harm there.  yeah if you're broke don't spend your last 75 bucks in the club. but if it's in your budge who cares.  thats all i'm guilty of.  i go out to eat a lot, but that's because it's what enjoy and it's part of my job.  besides i eat for free at work 5 nights a week. that's saving me thousands a year.

Are drinks really that much? That's almost my eating out budget for the entire month! And that's for 2 people!

What happened to pre-gaming?

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

does anybody still pregame?

Everybody I know in DC (expensive #@* city) still pregames before hitting the bars. 
laugh.gif
yup. dis. spending 75 for one night at a bar/club is ugly
sick.gif
. sometimes I bring a flask
happy.gif
. certain places charge 20 USD for an LA water
30t6p3b.gif

It's all about balance. I see people living in big houses and you ask if they want to go to lunch, they like nah, I brought this peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

You also have to factor in the time to buy groceries and cook unless you about that pbj/ham sandwich life.

I usually go out a few times a week for lunch and a few more for dinner. So probably half of my meals are eating out. Sometimes I can find a good hot chicken breast sandwich/hoagie at a lunch truck for like $4.50. That ain't nothing for a hot meal. Then drink water from the job.

It really is about balance between money and time.
Are you wasting money to save time or wasting time to save money?

I remember in college, they were selling small, clippable calculators for on the job calculations.
2 bucks a pop, and some people were complaining that Staples had'em for a dollar and wanted to cop there.
I argued that it was cheaper to cop for a dollar more now than spend the gas driving or time public commuting to Staples.
They all copped there for 2 bucks.

Main thing my money goes to is gas and food.
Never spend that much at bars because I'm usually the one driving, and I don't like being drunk

Originally Posted by omgitswes

eh if I waste money on anything it's going to be the place where I live. As long as I can afford it.

I never want to have a roommate.....ever

Yep, I'm the same

My number 1 would be raves. Massives cost a grip just to party especially driving from NorCal to SoCal. You gotta spend on gas, ticket, hotel, food, alcohol, and other goods. Smdh but in the end it's always worth it lol

I don't spend much on rent. I pack my own lunch, or we do have a cheap 'restaurant' at the office. I usually drink before I go out. And I don't like coffee. Where do I save now?
happy.gif

I'm pretty much only guilty of partying/drinking.  But even in NYC who the hell spends $75 in one night unless maybe you include the price of an event/concert/cover?  I'm usually pregaming then getting 2-3 drinks once I'm out.  I get mad if I open my wallet the next morning and see that I spent over $40 in one normal night out.  
laugh.gif

My main expense is gas & groceries. I started packing my own lunch because eating out does get expensive. Plus it's an easy cost to cut back on.

I don't go out and only drink once in a blue moon. Right now, I'm just trying to save some money to get a place of my own.

only really spend money on eating out and a beer or two, don't really go out anymore as I use to. All I'm really worried about now is saving to get a house

I'm trying to make some big moves in the next 4-5 months going into 2013, where i'll be pulling myself away from my parents and moving on my own.

1)Find a good paying job in my field.
2)Save money and stop spending on things i don't need (I'm a big tech gadget freak. I've cycle through more that 5 phones within less than a year, but I'm cutting back on that might just copp the Nexus 7 and next Gen Nexus phone on the low)
3)Buy my own (used) car saving at least $800 or more for the next 9 months, and put that in savings account that I can't touch.
4)Move out, find a place with a roommate(but i rather live by myself)
5)Live my life and not being dictated or disturbed by someone else.

I don't smoke, I hardly drink, I hardly go to the club (only if its someone bday). All i know I'm cutting back on whole bunch of things that tap into my pocket.

Originally Posted by IcyyyESR Two3

I'm pretty much only guilty of partying/drinking.  But even in NYC who the hell spends $75 in one night unless maybe you include the price of an event/concert/cover?  I'm usually pregaming then getting 2-3 drinks once I'm out.  I get mad if I open my wallet the next morning and see that I spent over $40 in one normal night out.  
laugh.gif

I don't know where you hang out or your social/drinking habits, but spending 75 bucks + in one night here in Manhattan is easier than most people would think...
With that said, I attempt to avoid that on an average night 
laugh.gif

I don't know where you hang out or your social/drinking habits, but spending 75 bucks + in one night here in Manhattan is easier than most people would think...

With that said, I attempt to avoid that on an average night 
laugh.gif

Easily. Two rounds of LIT's last weekend for me and 3 others and I was in the whole 85 bucks :/ Can't ever see myself spending that much for drinks exclusively for myself tho.

And yeah, I'm guilty of all 4. Never really considered the coffee thing but it's true, plus eatin 12 dollar chipotle at least twice a week is not poppin. I guess the apartment thing wouldn't apply in NYC, you could still be living with 2 or 3 individuals and be paying at least $1100 a month for rent.

The golden rule is that your rent for the month should be the equivalent of one week's take home pay. Don't know too many places in the country that are actually worth living where people my age can follow that.

Definitely guilty of the first paying 3k in rent and i also spend a lot of money on food and going out to eat. Smart phones are also a Achilles heel but im over thirty so i guess this doesnt apply

Guilty of the first three. Replace partying w/ :smoking tho.

I'm about to make some drastic changes next year though. No more $1450 / rent on a 700 sq ft 1 BR apt. I'm moving back to the trap and I'm about to start budgeting my :smoking and grocery shopping as well.

Back
Top Bottom