Tipping Vol. Why am I paying you extra to do your job?

Is the tip amount based on the level of service or the price of the food?

Let's say 2 people went out to dinner and each had 1 dish, 1 drink, and 1 desert, and the bill came out to be $300 before tip.

Let's also say 10 people went out to dinner and each had 1 dish, 1 drink, and 1 desert, and the bill also came out to be $300 before tip.

Let's say for both scenarios, there was 1 waiter that was very helpful and courteous. The only difference between the 2 was obviously 1 waiter had more work.

What should the tip be in each scenario?

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

Originally Posted by scshift

OP, a waiter is basically like your butler/servant for the time that you're in the restaurant. While they might "just" bring your dishes/get you refills, they are also there to ensure you have a pleasant dining experience. The tip is your way of showing that you appreciate what they've done and that you think they did a good job. Also, some people go wild on the waiters and really make them work like crazy, always complaining, asking for ridiculous requests, etc. It's not always as easy/peaceful as you think.

Yes, it's their job to serve you, but tipping shows gratitude. For example, if I'm walking into a hotel and the valet guy at the door opens it for me, I'll say thank you to him to express my appreciation. It's his job, but I'm still going to commend him.

That's true.  They are like your butler/servant, however most of the real responsibility is on the chef.  If I tell the server I want my burger cooked Medium Well and it's medium, the server doesn't do anything except take it back.  Server doesn't re-cook it, the server just brings me my dish.  What's so commendable about that?  Why commend someone for doing their job?  It's what they're supposed to do. 

Well it's not "commendable" in the traditional sense that serving is like some kind of noble action or something, but you could say it's a personal way of thanks. Like you pay them for what they did, because their job was to serve you. Like I said, you're right, it is what they're supposed to do, but in American culture we show appreciation by tipping.

I do understand your points as well. It's just customary in America. Go to Asia and restaurants will not even accept tips.

Also, dudes need to stop taking shots at OP just cause he works retail... what, just cause you work retail you aren't allowed to have an opinion? Sounding mad condescending, like one job is "better" than others and warrants an opinion while the other doesn't
eyes.gif
As far as the retail thing goes, I would never, EVER take a job where I make $3.00 and hour and have to depend on people being nice a leaving a tip.  
But, I get what you're saying as far as tipping for what they do for you to show appreciation.  But at the same time, wouldn't being polite and respectful to the server be the same thing (showing appreciation)?

Minus the actual part where money is exchanged. 

30t6p3b.gif
at people in here talking like waiting tables is beneath them. it ain't easy work by any means.

@mandown - sit down son. you're embarrassing everyone you associate yourself with.

edit: in all seriousness OP, i don't think anyone here is going to be able to explain to you why it's difficult to be a server. i suggest trying it? obviously it doesn't sound ideal for you, but if you're that interested see if you cant serve for a couple days at a restaurant

Originally Posted by do work son

30t6p3b.gif
at people in here talking like waiting tables is beneath them. it ain't easy work by any means.

I'm not saying it's beneath me.  I'm asking someone to explain what's difficult about it.

IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO TIP, GET YOUR SH*T TO-GO/CARRY OUT. THEN EVERYBODY WINS.
YOUR BROKE A** DOESN'T HAVE TO LEAVE A TIP (BECAUSE UNLIKE SERVERS, THE HOSTS THAT BRING YOU YOUR FOOD DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOU/YOUR GIRL/YOUR FAM'S 101 QUESTIONS, REFILL YOUR ICED TEA 5 TIMES IN 30 MINUTES, DESCRIBE THINGS ON THE MENU WHEN IT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE, OPEN YOUR BOTTLE OF WINE, KEEP YOUR TABLE TIDY WHEN YOU'RE TOO DISORGANIZED/REMEDIAL TO DO IT YOURSELF, AND DO THIS FOR ABOUT 3 TABLES AT A TIME)

AND

YOU ALLOW SERVERS TO GET TABLES THAT ACTUALLY TIP.

#%!* OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR BROKE A**.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
 YOU NON-TIPPERS DISGUST ME.  GUESS YALL GO TO STRIP CLUBS AND JUST WATCH...LAMES.

/THREAD.

As far as the retail thing goes, I would never, EVER take a job where I make $3.00 and hour and have to depend on people being nice a leaving a tip.  
But, I get what you're saying as far as tipping for what they do for you to show appreciation.  But at the same time, wouldn't being polite and respectful to the server be the same thing (showing appreciation)?

Minus the actual part where money is exchanged.

Yeah same with me, if I could I'd much rather have a job where the income was steady and wasn't dependent on others. But the economy's trash right now and you can't be picky if you're needy, so if I needed money I'd work as a waiter. Not sure I'd be very good, but I'd try.

Being polite and respectful does show appreciation, but there's that part where you understand what the server does and how his job works. The way the system works, the servers get paid very little and are dependent on tips to make a normal wage. Everyone knows that, so whether or not a customer believes in tipping, he/she still knows that the waiter depends on the tips. And it's easy to say "well they could get another job", but it's not as easy as it looks, especially these days.

So when you tip, you show appreciation and also help support the waiter. It's showing gratitude. There are ways to show gratitude without tipping, but tipping always shows gratitude.

Some people might say that what a waiter does is very little and that they shouldn't work a job like that if they need the money to support themselves. But it is what it is. The system works that way, so unless there is a way to change the system, the next best thing is to tip the waiters.

Originally Posted by derrty6232

Tip is based on the price/total bill.

Bottom line of this thread is: If you're not gonna tip, then let the waiter/waitress know beforehand so they wouldn't have to provide you the service.

Originally Posted by JaYzNyAyAlLdAy

YOUR BROKE A** DOESN'T HAVE TO LEAVE A TIP (BECAUSE UNLIKE SERVERS, THE HOSTS THAT BRING YOU YOUR FOOD DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOU/YOUR GIRL/YOUR FAM'S 101 QUESTIONS, REFILL YOUR ICED TEA 5 TIMES IN 30 MINUTES, DESCRIBE THINGS ON THE MENU WHEN IT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE, OPEN YOUR BOTTLE OF WINE, KEEP YOUR TABLE TIDY WHEN YOU'RE TOO DISORGANIZED/REMEDIAL TO DO IT YOURSELF, AND DO THIS FOR ABOUT 3 TABLES AT A TIME)

AND

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
 YOU NON-TIPPERS DISGUST ME.  GUESS YALL GO TO STRIP CLUBS AND JUST WATCH...LAMES.

/THREAD.
kid-cudi-o.gif

Originally Posted by spacerace

AND

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

/THREAD.
kid-cudi-o.gif

cool contribution! 
laugh.gif
 leave a tip.

Originally Posted by VietStar

Bottom line of this thread is: If you're not gonna tip, then let the waiter/waitress know beforehand so they wouldn't have to provide you the service.

But then they wouldn't be doing their job. 

30t6p3b.gif

I'm not saying it's beneath me.  I'm asking someone to explain what's difficult about it.
OP I been following this thread and you dont seem too open minded about the idea of waiting tables. My question to you is.... 
Who is to say that working at the apple store is difficult? Who is to say my job as a Mechanical Engineer is difficult? Its all about opinion. Dont knock anyone's job or profession until you lived it. 

As far as tipping, its just the right thing to do. If you took your own order, got your own drinks, got your own food, and cleaned your own table, I would understand not tipping. But at a restaurant thats not the case, have the common courtesy to tip. 

its a combination of both. the tip comes from the price of the bill plus or minus the level of service.

i start with 15% and if the service was alright i leave it there. if it was bad, i'll go a little under but not by much. and if the service was great i'll go above however much i feel necessary.

lets not be fools here, if a server does the bare minimum and has a nasty attitude with me, and expects to still get tipped well... not happening. i'm not sitting saying, you should always leave a healthy tip. i'm more speaking to the people who never tip no matter what, even if they had a great server.

Originally Posted by jhobson5

30t6p3b.gif

OP I been following this thread and you dont seem too open minded about the idea of waiting tables. My question to you is.... 
You're right, I'm not open minded about it.  I wouldn't do it.  There's some jobs I just won't do, and waiting tables is one of them.  Not even on some "I'm too good for that" stuff.  I just wouldn't do it.  I go to restaurants and observe.  What I've posted in this thread (about all they do is walk to and from the kitchen and write orders down) is a consistent observation for almost every restaurant. 

I think the book "Nickel and Dimed" is perfect for this thread. OP and others should really check it out. Its an easy read.

30t6p3b.gif

Do you know wine pairings? What region it's from? How all the food is prepared exactly? Do you know what farm the pork is from? Who made your organic fall harvest butter?Bro not everyone serves at ihop and you do need to know a few things in fine dining. I'm not even going to touch on all the rituals of fine dining.

Sure they would. They'd still take your order and bring you the meals. They just wouldn't bother to ask "How's everything?" or provide you the "additional service." If you're not gonna tip, I think the waiter/waitress would prefer that you tell them so. Then they wouldn't have to waste their energy in trying to give you a better dining experience to only end up getting nothing in return.
If you're a returning "non-tipper," don't be surprised if the waiter gives you attitude or totally ignores you. Your food would probably taste a little weird too.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jhobson5

You're right, I'm not open minded about it.  I wouldn't do it.  There's some jobs I just won't do, and waiting tables is one of them.  Not even on some "I'm too good for that" stuff.  I just wouldn't do it.  I go to restaurants and observe.  What I've posted in this thread (about all they do is walk to and from the kitchen and write orders down) is a consistent observation for almost every restaurant. 
You can generalize every job like that.
Waiting tables is probably one of the more difficult jobs I've had. There's putting in orders and bring food out (for several tables simultaneously I might add) but there's also preparing the tables (silverware, salt & pepper, etc.), dealing with rude (and cheap 
laugh.gif
) customers, being on your feet ALL DAY, being knowledgeable about what's on the menu and being able to explain it (food, drinks, etc.), dealing with moody $#$ chefs 
laugh.gif
, I could go on.

before yall start flaming OP, dude said he does tip, he just doesn't understand why people do. focus on explaining to him the ins and outs of your job instead of just condemning him

Actually no - The tip is based on the level of service THEN the price on the bill....if you don't give me good service then I will NOT tip you well.  Simple...you work in the SERVICE industry for a reason. 

Originally Posted by pookieman

Actually no - The tip is based on the level of service THEN the price on the bill....if you don't give me good service then I will NOT tip you well.  Simple...you work in the SERVICE industry for a reason. 
This was the original question that someone asked on the previous page:

"Let's also say 10 people went out to dinner and each had 1 dish, 1 drink, and 1 desert, and the bill also came out to be $300 before tip.

Let's say for both scenarios, there was 1 waiter that was very helpful and courteous. The only difference between the 2 was obviously 1 waiter had more work.

What should the tip be in each scenario?"

I think my answer stands.

AND

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

/THREAD.

Bruh why you talking like that you make 3 hrs a hour. Chill out and humble yourself for a second.

Originally Posted by Put em up

AND

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

/THREAD.

Bruh why you talking like that you make 3 hrs a hour. Chill out and humble yourself for a second.

nothing like belittling someone because of how much money they make. talking about humbling yourself
30t6p3b.gif

Right but you overlooked his comments and went straight to minds huh?

I will never knock how a man provides for himself, until hes talking foolish like this dude.

Likeci said earlier some of you waiters are outta this world nowadays.

I dont understand why I need to tip... But I still do.

I'm a very average tipper.

I just use the iPhone app to calculate the tip everytime I go out to eat.

:: Kanye shrug ::

Back
Top Bottom