Tipping when picking up food from a restaurant...yay or nay

Does it hurt to round up to the nearest 5 or 0? Meaning if the food is $17 give a $20, $43 give $45, $32 give $35 etc.

it doesnt hurt but people dont see all the work that goes into preparing the food that there about to eat. people usually think that there doing the server afavor by not coming in but fail to see that the servers are doing just as much as if the customer was coming in.

If I don't tip strippers what makes you think I'm tipping a waiter
laugh.gif

^^^ This may sound insensitive but I thought thats why you get by the hour for?
I understand waiters/servers doesn't make a lot of money though but I still feel that it is part of the job and tipping is for a more personal service.
Not to be arrogant but when i get superb service at a sit down dinner, I have tipped up to 45% of the bill and I just never feel that I get that by picking upfood.
Like I said, I never tip at McDonalds and when I pick-up food, I feel that it is just part of their job to prepare and pack my food.

no way....do you tip the people at McDonalds??? We are getting out of hand with this tipping thing these days....people making coffee dont get tips from me, doyou tip the cashier at the store??? Why not tip the lady who scans your groceries??? so stupid!!!

Originally Posted by RFX45

I understand waiters/servers doesn't make a lot of money though but I still feel that it is part of the job and tipping is for a more personal service.
Not to be arrogant but when i get superb service at a sit down dinner, I have tipped up to 45% of the bill and I just never feel that I get that by picking up food.
Like I said, I never tip at McDonalds and when I pick-up food, I feel that it is just part of their job to prepare and pack my food.
Most people make less than minimum wage without tips. Restaurants only give them salaries to cover the books and what not.

well to be honest, your tipping whether you want to or not because most places no-a-days include a gratuity charge in your bill. either way, like stated above,theres nothing wrong with just rounding up you total to the nearest 5.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Not to be arrogant but when i get superb service at a sit down dinner, I have tipped up to 45% of the bill and I just never feel that I get that by picking up food.
Most people make less than minimum wage without tips. Restaurants only give them salaries to cover the books and what not.

I have never heard of that. Hmmm... It is illegal to make less than the minimum wage an hour unless they are paid under the table, no?
At least in CA it is, I mean they are even so strict and forces people to take breaks even when they don't want to, I could imagine minimum wage to be ofsimilar restrictions.

Yup I make $4 an hour... So if I spend 10-15 minutes putting together somebody's to go order and they can't even tip anything, that's justridiculous. And trust me, I will remember the person.

I'm not going to McDonalds though. I'm going to a restaurant that offers curbside service. I don't think the $2.00 is much. If I ordercurbside i've already spent around $20-$30 in food. What the hell is $2.00 to me?

Hell naw theybshould be tippin ME!

laugh.gif
naw but seriuosly if I got to pick up food I aint tippin

^^^ Like I said earlier, I've never done curbside where the food is delivered to my car, if that were the case then I might give tip.
But I was talking about if I were to get out of my car, go to the restaurant and pick it up myself.

Originally Posted by sdfbheat

Same thing I wrote in the last thread:

Everyone sayin don't tip on carryout has obviously never worked in a restaurant.

They're doing the same job, and it's more inconvenient to them.

They pause what they're doing to take your carryout order, write the order and then box it, put all the silverware, napkins, etc. in and have it ready for you. You should tip them the same or close to what you would tip them if they waited on you.

You obviously worked as a waitor or is close to someone who is. if anything i should be tipping the cook not the people upfront They did nothing but bring my dinner with out dropping it Hopfully. honestly this is why I order for pic up so i can avoid the $@$+$$ service that most waitors and waitressess provide and not be pressured into giving extra money to amy for making sure the two partys that came in after me got there Appitizers drinks and Dinner B4 me and my people. so no i dont tip when picking up food @%$% do you tip the cashier at Burger King i didnt think so

and this is why "you and your people" don't get served promptly. People remember faces, and names on carry-outs. If you don't tip you're not their top priority.

Even just the people who say they throw $1..that's much better than nothing. Just knowing someone was like "hey, I appreciate you putting your other customers on hold for a sec and getting my stuff together" makes it alright. It's the people that think that just because they didn't physically sit down the wait staff didn't do the same exact thing.

No Those are the reasons I don't Tip I'm not saying that i never tip but ibetter get some damd good service to tip.

a couple years back I was chillin out in Ohio and me and my peeps decide to eat out so we picked a steak joint a lil down the road from where we was at ( sidenote %!+*%% got drive through stores out there pull up and get some henny and a dutch without turning the gas off.) so we go eat and its playoff time and iasked our waiter once for the score of the heat game i remember him coming back it and saying something like its 27-20 Heat start of the second Quarter everytime he came buy the table he gave us an update he even got to the point where they moved some giant display they had in the restaurant so that we could seethe flat screen and watch the remainder of the game.. seeing how cool this dude was we started talking to him he was a cool dude asked him the hang out spotsand what not were to get the Good Green from. so after the game we get dudes manager and make up this big story how we are restaurant Critics and we justembellished her with Compliments for Mike after words we all gave mike $20 Party of 6 you do the math. I tip But not to the people who are just doing their Jobgotta go above and beyond to get more out of me

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I have never heard of that. Hmmm... It is illegal to make less than the minimum wage an hour unless they are paid under the table, no?
At least in CA it is, I mean they are even so strict and forces people to take breaks even when they don't want to, I could imagine minimum wage to be of similar restrictions.
Probably but when you're employing illegal immigrants, teenagers, single mother's etc. who's to complain? When you include tips,usually it equates to at least mininum wage, but there were nights when I would work 6 hours and make $2 in tips because we only had 10 tables and 9 paid incredit card.

The people I liked, and not because they always tipped well, but because they were genuinely nice and interesting people got great service from me. Theothers...they were ignored.

Originally Posted by iMixedi

I'm a host for a restaurant and it's nice when people do tip.

Also, If your paying for your food with Credit/Debit..don't be lazy and just ignore the tip/total lines on the receipt that they gave you to sign with your signature. People can go behind your back and charge you for a tip you never gave if you just leave it blank.
you make it seem like that extra $5 or whatever is getting stolen from you won't show up on your statement....let someone, or a restaurant goahead and do that...

I keep all of my receipts until it shows the (proper) deduction in my statement...then they go thru the shredder....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by iMixedi

I'm a host for a restaurant and it's nice when people do tip.

Also, If your paying for your food with Credit/Debit..don't be lazy and just ignore the tip/total lines on the receipt that they gave you to sign with your signature. People can go behind your back and charge you for a tip you never gave if you just leave it blank.
you make it seem like that extra $5 or whatever is getting stolen from you won't show up on your statement....let someone, or a restaurant go ahead and do that...

I keep all of my receipts until it shows the (proper) deduction in my statement...then they go thru the shredder....
You're smart, but a lot of people aren't. I read about a scam like that a while ago.

Back
Top Bottom