Want to Save gas niketalk vol.Cruise control FTW !

i drive an 05 honda cr-v that gets 27 mpg usally 3 days after i fill up im at half a tank but i drove on cruise lastweek
and for three days straight it was still on half a tank
eek.gif
I think on cruise i get atleast 35mpg. inever been a fan of it but after an hr drive on the highway
and to see that ur gas went down by a little bit is
pimp.gif
plus i drive an suv im sure sadans withcruise do way better
my whip mines is red
pimp.gif

Edit heres an old article that describes it

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/01/Autos/driving_for_mpg/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - You can get 35 percent better fuel mileage out of your current vehicle by using a device mostdrivers already have.

That would be your right foot.
[table][/table]
Most drivers agonizing over the cost of gasoline fail to realize the enormous impact their driving style has on fuelconsumption.

During the last run-up in fuel prices, we wrote about Edmunds.com's tests of common fuel-saving driving tips. Some commontips, it turned out, had little or no effect on fuel economy. (Edmunds.com provides data and content for CNN.com's automotive Websites.)

For example, using the air conditioner at highway speeds had no appreciable effect on fuel economy compared to rolling downthe windows.

Keeping your tires properly inflated, while important for safety, has only a small effect on fuel mileage, according toEdmunds.com's tests.

Using cruise control on the highway, though, really does have a noticeable effect on fuel economy. In Edmunds.com's testusing a Land Rover LR3 and a Ford Mustang, the Land Rover got almost 14 percent better mileage using cruise control set at 70 miles per hour rather thancruising at driver-controlled speeds between 65 and 75 miles per hour. The Mustang got 4.5 percent better mileage.

Using cruise control cuts down on unnecessary speed changes which can eat up gas and it prevents "speed creep." thetendency for a driver's average speed to gradually increase with time spent on the road. (In that way, it can save you from an expensive speeding ticket,as well.)

If you want a big gain in fuel mileage, though, you need to seriously lay off the pedals when driving around town.Accelerating more slowly away from green lights and stopping more gradually for red lights cut fuel consumption in Edmunds.com's tests by 35.4 percent forthe Land Rover and 27.1 percent for the Mustang.

Slamming down the gas pedal pushes more fuel into the engine while it also keeps the engine running faster.

You can also save a lot of gas by just lifting your foot off the accelerator as soon as possible when approaching a yellow orred light or a stop sign.

For one thing, letting up on the gas sooner gives your car more coasting time.

By the way, when we say "accelerating hard" and "stopping abruptly" we aren't necessarily talkingabout juvenile tire-squealing antics. If you start keeping a conscious eye on how you drive, you may realize that you've been hot-rodding around for yearswithout realizing it.

In Edmunds.com's tests, they slowed acceleration times down to a 20-second run from zero to sixty miles per hour.Compared to the kind of zero-to-sixty times we hear car makers bragging about these days, 20 seconds may sound impossibly slow. In fact, it is slow. But, whileit won't get your pulse pounding, it will get you safely onto the highway.

Since most drivers don't have a stopwatch handy to time their acceleration, Cole Quinnel, a spokesman for Chrysler Corp.engineers, advises not pressing the gas pedal down by more than an inch unless you really have to. Using that approach, the difference in fuel economy will beappreciable.

Let's say that your car currently gets 22 miles per gallonoverall. If this laid-back driving style gets you just 30 percent more in fuel mileage, which Edmunds.com's tests indicate it could, you'd see thatincrease to about 30 miles per gallon.

It's not easy, though. For most people, driving this way will feel, to say the least, awkward. When I tried Quinnel'shigh-mileage driving advice, it was difficult to maintain this disciplined approach to acceleration and deceleration without consistent effort. The minute Ilet my concentration slip -- Zoom! -- off I'd go again in a gas-wasting rush, just like I usually do.

And, to be perfectly honest, it was a little embarrassing to drive that way. Every molecule of testosterone in my body wasbegging to be excused for the day.

But, in a couple of short drives, the car was using significantly less gas per mile, even with my occasional slip-up. Maybeif I keep it up, I can soothe my dented ego with a little cash in my wallet

so cruise control really makess that big of a difference?
i do a lot of city driving though, so i dont think this really applies

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

so cruise control really makess that big of a difference?
i do a lot of city driving though, so i dont think this really applies

it does help if your are straight doing atleats 30 miles per hour you can probably add 5 more mpg on your citydriving

It depends how hard you hit the pedal, because your car is fighting the wind when accelerating at high speeds

If you suck at driving this will help you alot. stupid people stay pumping the gas pedal then letting go then getting back on it. smh. find a damn median onit.

yo I don't know how to set up my cruise control?

like I made it work in the past but I forgot how. I push it up to 70 and click on cruise yet it doesn't stay on that speed.

how do you set it up?

Originally Posted by SWiFT Yons

yo I don't know how to set up my cruise control?

like I made it work in the past but I forgot how. I push it up to 70 and click on cruise yet it doesn't stay on that speed.

how do you set it up?

i had the same problem but my car has two switches its like trying to turn on a ps2 u have to flick the back thenflick the red light

well my car by the fog light has a cruise button but it won't activate untill i press SET OR ACCEl on the wheel READ UR CAR MANUEL THO IT WILL TELL U

Great read. I never knew this.

I do use the highway on my commute to school, so this is a great tip.
pimp.gif

i saw this on top gear, where jeremy clarkson drove somewhere really far and back in one tank with a jaguar. i don't remember exactly which model or thedistance he drove but he did say to save on fuel you:
need to use the brake as little as possible,
turn off radio, a/c, heat,
close windows to reduce drag.
have a constant speed just like cruise control.

I always use CC just because I'm a lazy driver. Plus doing 80mph on CC is
pimp.gif
, the car justfloats..

My-T.

Originally Posted by ManikHispanik

Drafting off other cars FTW

grin.gif
this isn't nascar fam. rock chips destroying front bumperftl

my car (evo) doesn't even have CC... yeah i could add it but i'd never use it anyway.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

is your CR-V an LX? Our EX has never gotten 27 mpg because of the AWD.

my CR-V is the EX its 2005 with about 142 hp i know thats weak but i also i have AWD. It depends on the year but mineshifts to

AWD automatically which only when theres snow on the ground or heavy terrain. thats why i get 27 mpg, even if urssomehow is always on AWD u should atleat get 22mpg but with CC u should see 30mpg

i noe cc is good and all but ur cr-v getting 35 mpg? i highly doubt that. drive till almost empty, fill up tank full and set the trip meter to 0, wait till uuse up the gas fill up again and divide the # of miles on trip by the gal u just put in to determine the mpg. even tho honda gets good mpg i dont think u canget that high on a crv when ppl claim to get like 15 city and 20 something hwy (for awd at least)

Back
Top Bottom