Was I being rascist?

No it is not racist.. your in toronto not china, japan etc.. you couldve been a tourist and just wanted to find out where to get this bubble tea from and how much it cost. that lady right there deff needs to grow a pair.

Racism = Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief

Prejudiced = Having or showing a dislike or distrust that is derived from prejudice; bigoted

Stereotype = A widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing

So I aint the first 2 but like most of you said, I def stereotyped ol girl. Not as bad as racism or prejudice.

But are you guys saying you wouldnt have done the same thing? Your craving some bubble tea but dont know the price so you ask an Asian whos near you if they know the price (theres only one place on my campus that sells it so thats where any bubble tea head would go)? I mean I dont see how its offensive. People really need to loosen this "racial" collar and stop being oversensitive. You cant possible be offended if someone ask you a general question about a beverage that your ethnicity makes. Sorry for the rant 
ohwell.gif

you assumed someone knew or had experience with something because of their race. it was racist.

Originally Posted by MeloManFan

But are you guys saying you wouldnt have done the same thing? Your craving some bubble tea but dont know the price so you ask an Asian whos near you if they know the price (theres only one place on my campus that sells it so thats where any bubble tea head would go)? I mean I dont see how its offensive. People really need to loosen this "racial" collar and stop being oversensitive. You cant possible be offended if someone ask you a general question about a beverage that your ethnicity makes. Sorry for the rant 
ohwell.gif

Forget the girl, ever think that maybe YOU should gain some perspective and show some tact when it comes to dealing with people different from yourself? I always shake my head at the audacity and sense of entitlement err.. certain people display when they think they can mandate what others should and shouldn't be offended by.

Its just one of those things that just depends id prolly laugh if someone asked me if i wanted to hoop......but idk about if i was chillin and some dude signled me out asking about chicken prices
laugh.gif

Yes I did ask her because she's Chinese, but is that racist or practical? Its not like I asked her if she knows how to reverse park or something
laugh.gif

This is what bubble tea is

bobadrinkcups.jpg

Comes in all different kinds of flavors like strawberry, vanilla, cherry, watermellon, mango, peach, and the list goes on.

Those black balls are called tapioca. They ite, but I substitute them out for broken up lychee jelly instead with mango ice milk tea
pimp.gif
eek.gif
You pretty much answered your own question.
laugh.gif
Its not that serious, but think about it, your in the library and some random person ask you how much bubble tea cost. If she was drinking bubble tea right then or you were next to the bubble tea shop, then I could see the point of asking that to her.

Racism = Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief

Prejudiced = Having or showing a dislike or distrust that is derived from prejudice; bigoted

Stereotype = A widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing

So I aint the first 2 but like most of you said, I def stereotyped ol girl. Not as bad as racism or prejudice.

ohwell.gif

I would have done the same thing. The way I see it, she's just as likely to know about the price of the bubble tea as anyone else, if not more (what can I say... most of my Asian friends love that stuff, non-Asians not so much), and she was right across from you.

If anything, it would have been worse if you didn't ask her. I remember one time my teacher asked this non-Chinese kid how to say something in Chinese and I was just sitting there like "I can speak better Chinese than this kid, why the hell didn't you ask me?" (I'm Chinese btw)
eyes.gif
... stupid I know

1. It is racist because you admittedly asked her specifically because she was Asian.

2. I don't think anyone needs clarification on what bubble tea is, we were just confused as to what the heck bubble tease was lol.

3. It doesnt make you a racist at all, it was just kinda racist lol

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

ohwell.gif

Forget the girl, ever think that maybe YOU should gain some perspective and show some tact when it comes to dealing with people different from yourself? I always shake my head at the audacity and sense of entitlement err.. certain people display when they think they can mandate what others should and shouldn't be offended by.

Your response is perfect bro.

Man, bubble tea is like less than $5.

I'm pretty sure you could have afforded it even without knowing the price.

Originally Posted by TennHouse2

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

It sounds like an honest mistake unless you specifically asked her because she was Asian.

he did ask her because she was asian..........yea its kinda racist, i know id be heated if i was sitting down and some random dude came up to me and asked how much an 8 peice at kfc cost
Pretty much!

I think we're all a little racist.
It's okay, you aren't a bad person.
It was ignorant, but we all make little slip ups.
Don't beat yourself up.

Her response wasn't bad at all either, I don't think she needs to "grow a pair".
She is human, and it was insensitive. She had every right to act that way.
And because she acted that way, the OP now knows his mistake.
Let's just be thankful she didn't explode like the girl from FAU
laugh.gif

My bad, theres a place in Toronto called Bubble Tease (that joint is def a tease, got me lookin at the window with my tongue salvating), but its actually called bubble tea.

I asked her how much it was cause I already know where it was, I just didnt wanna go there short handed. Everyone buys a bubble tea once in a while so I figured she might know the price.

So I was racist?

Nah

ohwell.gif

Perfect response.  I'ma go further and touch on what you typed, though... just to be blunt.  White people are some the most racially insensitive group of people out there.  Even worse when they feel the need to tell a MINORITY what they shouldn't be offended by.  Nah, man... it don't work like that. 

nothing wrong with it by the way you said it. but it all depends how you asked. only reason i say this is because bubble tea started in asia and i a very popular asian drink. i mean if you wanted ti get some legit latin food are you gonna ask the black/white people or are you going to ask the latin person? I mean if a asian person asked me how much a cheeseburger at mcdonalds cost i wouldn
t be like YOUR A RACIST!! i would tell them its a $1

ohwell.gif

Your right, I did goof. I didnt think it was that serious but I will take this into consideration cause everybody is different. I aint a racist dude though, I just think watching Chappelle for so long got me accustomed to the art of stereotyping
laugh.gif
 All in light fun

It probably didn't register to her that you were broke enough to sincerely be asking the price of a cup of tea AND that you had the sense of urgency and audacity to ask a random asian person.
If I were asian I would have though you were clownin with your boy.

ohwell.gif

Your right I did goof, but I didnt think I was doing anything wrong at the time. I will take this into consideration next time cause everybody is different. Im not racist though, I think watching Chappelle for so long just made accustomed to the art of stereotyping
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom