What do you do for a living?

My current job title is ARP Secretary at the state penitentiary. I'm a contract worker which means I make $9.36/hr. That also means I'm not allowed to work overtime, even though I do sometimes & I don't get paid for the time I miss like a state employee would. Trying to work my way up to state employee so I can go from $9.36/hr to $12/hr. 

Have you made management aware of this? If so and they still ask you to work overtime, document every single instance where they ask you or insinuate that you need to work unpaid overtime. Keep a log of the date, the time worked, and the person who asked you to work overtime if possible.

Then, once you become a full employee, talk with your union stewart/rep and ask to speak with a lawyer so that you can claim the overtime you worked for. Or, if you decide to go a different route, open a case with the Department of Labor. You should be able to make your report anonymously.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let that money go to waste. In many cases, the employer will owe you backpay for the overtime as well as an amount equal to your daily rate for every day they go without paying you. Even if you're only missing out on $200, it could mean a $2000+ judgement in your favor.

Have you made management aware of this? If so and they still ask you to work overtime, document every single instance where they ask you or insinuate that you need to work unpaid overtime. Keep a log of the date, the time worked, and the person who asked you to work overtime if possible.

Then, once you become a full employee, talk with your union stewart/rep and ask to speak with a lawyer so that you can claim the overtime you worked for. Or, if you decide to go a different route, open a case with the Department of Labor. You should be able to make your report anonymously.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let that money go to waste. In many cases, the employer will owe you backpay for the overtime as well as an amount equal to your daily rate for every day they go without paying you. Even if you're only missing out on $200, it could mean a $2000+ judgement in your favor.
Should have been a little more clear on that part. I've been paid for the overtime I've worked. The thing is my contract states that I'm suppose to only work 8 hours a day, but every now and then, I'll stay over because of 1. losing track of time or 2. trying to finish up what I'm working on so that I won't fall behind.

My boss knows I'm not suppose to work OT. The people above him sent out an email recently to all the department heads telling them to make sure all contract workers aren't working over. That's why I'm clocking out on time starting this week lol.

THIS -

I underwrite this kind of stuff, and people get paid from wage/hour claims as we call them. 

Last edited:
Damn y'all need to let me know where these mid-20s insurance producers are banking 6 figs :lol: Stress be damned, I already got that, just missing the money that comes with it.

I kind of don't believe that either. You really do have to do your years experience before you can really bank money. Most producers I know are not young at all. I've met some brokers in there 20s and they make standard salaries for the most part. Me and my fiancee work in this industry and just never meet any brokers young in our line of business. Of course I could be wrong.

Before I got fired I was a Buyer/Supervisor for a department in a well known grocery store, only made 13/hr

Currently unemployed, someone help a young brother under 23 yrs old with no college degree with something :nerd:

Unemployed :smh:
this :smh:

what happened to that valet job at the hotel you had?

Firefighter/EMT
this is what my brother is going for, he just needs like 2 more certs and do the state test

Parts counter for a Honda Dealership.

Usually Make between $20-24/hr. But last month I made $31.87/hr.

I get paid a flat rate a month but then I get a monthly percentage of the whole departments gross profit on my 15th check.

Been doing it for less than a year and I'm actually making more money then when I was doing IT work for a bank. It's super easy.
weebay gif

didn't know the parts department was caking like that

Before I got fired I was a Buyer/Supervisor for a department in a well known grocery store, only made 13/hr

Currently unemployed, someone help a young brother under 23 yrs old with no college degree with something :nerd:
Come over to the IT side brother. We welcome you with open arms

I am a Business Analyst for a midsize Health Insurance company in Houston. 65K. Been here for a little of two years and just got promotion with a slight bump. Just turned 30 in December.

Got my Masters in Public Administration back in 2011 and the first gig i landed after school I was making 38K smh.

My goal is to reach the management and then executive level in health care in either the private or public sector(Feds would be great).

Its a slow grind for me and sometimes I hate that I dont really have the entrepreneurial spirit like some of my closest finds but I have to occasionally put things back in perspective and not compare my professional journey to theirs. At the end of the day I dont want my career to define me but I know it must be so fulfilling doing something you are passionate about to make a living.

Work at a social security office. Take disability, retirement, and survivor claims. Love my job but can be demanding at times

I'm an Accountant for a construction engineering firm in Pasadena.

25.  I can't complain.

I am a Business Analyst for a midsize Health Insurance company in Houston. 65K. Been here for a little of two years and just got promotion with a slight bump. Just turned 30 in December.

Got my Masters in Public Administration back in 2011 and the first gig i landed after school I was making 38K smh.

My goal is to reach the management and then executive level in health care in either the private or public sector(Feds would be great).

Its a slow grind for me and sometimes I hate that I dont really have the entrepreneurial spirit like some of my closest finds but I have to occasionally put things back in perspective and not compare my professional journey to theirs. At the end of the day I dont want my career to define me but I know it must be so fulfilling doing something you are passionate about to make a living.
I'm in Houston as well. Want to ask you, what was your career path to becoming a BA? I'm asking because my current occupation is a Market Research Analyst and would like to transition to a BA role but haven't had any luck when it comes to applying for BA positions. I was hoping to learn more about the career path from someone who's currently working in the role. You can PM if you want.

Student. Majoring in economics with a double minor in english and global retail marketing. Just switched my major from biotech. Aiming for an internship at complex within the next 2 years. 

I'm a Marketing Coordinator for a consumer electronic manufacturer/distributor out here in LA. I handle the company FB, IG, Twitter, Youtube accounts, creat email marketing campaigns, and create presentations for our sales reps to use for their meetings with their accounts or potential accounts.

Fun gig but I'm Currently trying to get into the sports marketing or entertainment marketing world doe.

Last edited:
Loan officer deal with refinances and purchases. Also do reverse mortgages. If you know anyone that's looking to drop their payments or maybe get into a home I am your guy. We go as low as 580 fico score which most banks only take 640 and up.

Director of Account Management & Client Success for a tech start-up here in NYC.

I won't divulge my exact base but it's above $150K and below $250K. I also have quarterly and annual bonuses and 20,000+ options

I'm also a minority owner in the following NYC establishments (shameless plug):

- 2 bars (The Garret & The Garret East)
- 1 speakeasy lounge (Visana)
- 1 pizzeria (Pisa)

I'm also 32, to put things into perspective. I been grinding for a minute :lol:

HA, I have been to the Garret above 5 Guys and my gf lives around the Corner from Visana... went there a couple weeks after it opened up. Cool stuff.

Tractor trailer driver. 28yrs old. Easy way to make a 100 racks depending on what your delivering. Especially if you have no degree. It's hard work but fun.

Tractor trailer driver. 28yrs old. Easy way to make a 100 racks depending on what your delivering. Especially if you have no degree. It's hard work but fun.
yo i got a younger cousin bout to go this route...how long have you been in?

i read its a crazy unhealthy career...have you found yourself putting on crazy weight?

was making 50k at  at a food processing plant in Baton Rouge called "Coca-Cola Bottling Company"..got arrested on my lunch break and was fired because of it this past summer..Now I'm a ccok and a bookkeeper for my aunts husband business..focusing on going back to school this fall..goal is to get a bachelors and go back for a masters in business....22 btw

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom