White-Collar 9-5'ers = How do you stay sane? Vol. Office Space

lol i just watched office space yesterday

9-5 is cool and all but it depends who you work with i guess.

my manager is one of the most annoyingest people i know. i was ready to quit (also cause i cant rely on my coworkers, so i used to do most of the work).

it was seriously making me INSANE. making me more of a jerk and a very impatient person.

but i became immune to their shenanigans and make em hear what they wanna hear. while i pretend to work and learn about other $#*+ on my own.

i work on the web, so i can work at home. which im doing now lol. but really im on nt for a good amount of time at work too.

a couple of weeks ago i was swarmed with work. burned out and everything. but now theres not much. till later this moth for a convention. kinda boring.

im always late, start around 10, so i dont jet at 5 all happy like everyone else...but hey theres a lot of traffic anyways lol

i honestly feel like i cant work under someone anymore. EVER. its up to me now to use my free time to figure out other ways to make paper.

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

Give me a office job where i can dress casual and listen to music all day and I'm set.

I Got that and it's
pimp.gif

I am your typical 9-5 guy. And I hate it.

I have tried to make friends in my department many times but maybe I give off something that they don't like. Not sure.

My boss has "favorites". You can be the dumbest person in the world. As long as you are a favorite, you will get promoted. I know that I am a lot smarter then most people here but since my boss doesn't like me, I can't get promoted.

Plus, I go to school at night.

I understand that girls like body spray, perfume and all that stuff. Please, just spray it once or twice. I get nauseous with the scents they be putting on themselves.

Enjoying your work helps a lot, but there are definitely days where you look at the clock every 5 minutes. Having chill coworkers and being able to listen to music and surf the web definitely helps.

my office hours are 4pm-12am but it isn't so bad sitting around the office all day...at work right now listening to Bob Dylan on FB, Twitter

and about to watch Coming to America on Maxgo.com

I work 7 days a week at a leasing office.....8-5 for 2 years straight....it was horrible I hated my coworkers....the job changed me...I went a bit crazy during the job...but Niketalk helped me out
pimp.gif

I work a 9/80 schedule and I seriously feel spoiled. For those not familiar, a 9/80 work schedule is essentially a two-week schedule of eight 9-hour work days and an 8-hour Friday, which allows for a Friday off every two weeks. It'll be rough if I ever go back to a regular 40hr/M-F job.

I'm working more like 8 - 6:30 right now. Slavedriver for a boss, the work is interesting at times, but typically boring. I don't have time for NT like I used to in my previous roles.

What gets me through is the weekends and the 2-3 cool people at work.

I'm Not You,

I feel you. The day to day monotony of my job bothers me to no end. I need a job where I'm not sitting at a desk all day long.

Pros:

-Love doing the core job duties
-Using information sources from work at home for personal use
-Independence
-Hopefully can improve long term career prospects

Cons:
-Lazy boss
-Making less money even though you're putting in twice the effort and producing twice the result as the person next to you all because of age and seniority
-Getting good innovative ideas shut down, due to conservative corporate culture
-5:30am - 3pm gets old fast

Doing something you love and have an interest can compensate for a lot negatives... at least for the short term

i work a 9-5 and id rather do that than work at a retail job. i have no complaints though, my day always goes fast for some reason

ehh as long as you chill in between the 8 hours (other than the break) and cool with the people you work with, the day will fly by

what I hate is the little bs drama and lil cliques

This article (hell the entire blog) speaks on not conforming to what everyone else thinks is typical/right. Just take a look at this. Good stuff.

http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/the-good-job/
I visited a large company to give a talk about non-conformity and adventure. From all appearances, it was a well-run company doing good things.

Many of the employees came up to me afterwards to chat, and I asked each of them, “How are things at _____?

My office computers have every damn key stoke watched on. Nothing outside of work stuff happens on that computer.
I make mad jokes on Twitter... walk around talking to people... get excited for and make a point of having busy evenings to look forward to.

Best way to slack off in the office when you are doing NOTHING
1) always carry a clip board. No one will question you.
2) stare at people who are doing physical labour and nod. Basically act like you are supervising safety - even people working outside your building
laugh.gif

3) walk around and every :45 seconds make a HARD button hook. People who see this in action are going to think you are so important/busy !

just about to graduate. im aiming to keep myself busy/happy outside of my future job (gym, happy hour, driving range, etc). work is work so i figure make the best of it during and after
ohwell.gif

there's basketball hoops and a pond stocked with bass behind my work building so I go out there and play basketball if it's nice and fish if it's raining. plus there's a gym with showers too so I lift in the morning and run when I get home from work

I think what it boils down to ultimately is doing something you don't have a passion for.
I'm completely past that stage in my life. My "Plan A" is more stressful and more grueling than a 9-5 but I have a passion for it so that's what I'm pushing towards.

The idea of rotting in an office the rest of my life, sitting on NT and listening to my iPod and coming home to "go the gym, play x-box, go to happy hour, etc." just doesn't resonate with my personality (no disrespect to any of you that do this). I shouldn't have to seek outside pleasures to balance out my displeasure with the corporate 9-5 world. I'd rather work 20 hours a day in my own office doing what I love.

Originally Posted by JDub4

I work a 9/80 schedule and I seriously feel spoiled. For those not familiar, a 9/80 work schedule is essentially a two-week schedule of eight 9-hour work days and an 8-hour Friday, which allows for a Friday off every two weeks. It'll be rough if I ever go back to a regular 40hr/M-F job.

i'm on that same schedule.  i love casual thursday followed by the 3 day weekend.  such a perk.  

As long as you're not doing manual labor from 9-5 I dont think there should be anything to complain about besides the possible boredom factor.

I work one full time job (Sneaker Watch Blogger) and one part time job (After School Program Supervisor) which both require 1 day a week each of 9-5 and although it is awful just sitting in front of a computer unable to multitask with PS3, ESPN or television like I can when I blog from home or am doing field work for the after school program, I have had other jobs that make me appreciate what I do a lot more.

If you hate what you do I would recomment another job because sometimes the money isn't worth the misery.

Make friends at work...My last summer job was boring as hell, but I met some cool people at the office and we went out to get drinks during lunch, watch the world cup, hit the gym after work, etc. 

Originally Posted by reigndrop

lol you deal with it... i work 9-1, so when you 9-5ers go home, i'm only half way through.

Yeh but we get paid for it? 
laugh.gif

Just saying. We (PE) don't put in the hours that IB does on a  regular basis but we (finance) get compensated for it. 

The dudes who put in 9-5 and get paid 35k have more to complain about than us. 

Back
Top Bottom