Why Black people are so good at sports vol. Startling revelations

I understand.

That is definitely just one small percentage of Asians that you have encountered, judging from what you have said.

I do say that because I've known many Asians working in different hospitals that were born and raised in third world countries that don't have the opportunities presented to even the poorest of American citizens, yet they were able to prosper in their respective fields. Each and every one of them have told me that they were able to get to where they are today because they were born with their backs against the wall.

-Drew
I understand that but the same can be said for many immigrants in America that were either born in another country or are first generation. Not that there arent Asians that succeed in america but the whole "model minority" thing is just a myth. Its just another example of some people of a group succeeding. 

""Case in point, another reason why Asian American families tend to make more than White families is because, as described in the Population Statistics page, Asian Americans are much more likely to concentrate in metropolitan areas where the cost of living is much higher. Anyone who has lived in New York City (yours truly included) can attest to just how expensive it is to live in these cities. Therefore, Asian Americans may earn more but they also have to spend more to survive. In fact, research shows that within these metropolitan areas, Asian American incomes still trail that of Whites." http://www.asian-nation.org/model-minority.shtml

The facts are that Asian Americans are a diverse group of individuals, with diverse experiences. Did you know, for example that: Asian American college students are more likely to seek medical leave, more likely to go on academic probation, and are less likely to graduate in 4 years. 1 Asian American students were more likely than White students to report difficulties with stress, sleep, and feelings of hopelessness, yet they were less likely to seek counseling. 2 33% of Asian American students drop out of high school or don't graduate on time. 3 In 2004, 11.8% of Asian Americans lived below the poverty line, experiencing the greatest rise in poverty among all groups. 4 http://cmhc.utexas.edu/modelminority.html

They are no doubt. But the talent coming out of the 2 i mentioned with Cuba specifically :x
crazy part if were not seeing half of the talent since they have
You're right. If "gifted" individuals exists, than they're te best representation of that.

I understand.

That is definitely just one small percentage of Asians that you have encountered, judging from what you have said.

I do say that because I've known many Asians working in different hospitals that were born and raised in third world countries that don't have the opportunities presented to even the poorest of American citizens, yet they were able to prosper in their respective fields. Each and every one of them have told me that they were able to get to where they are today because they were born with their backs against the wall.

-Drew

I understand that but the same can be said for many immigrants in America that were either born in another country or are first generation. Not that there arent Asians that succeed in america but the whole "model minority" thing is just a myth. Its just another example of some people of a group succeeding. 

""Case in point, another reason why Asian American families tend to make more than White families is because, as described in the Population Statistics page, Asian Americans are much more likely to concentrate in metropolitan areas where the cost of living is much higher. Anyone who has lived in New York City (yours truly included) can attest to just how expensive it is to live in these cities. Therefore, Asian Americans may earn more but they also have to spend more to survive. In fact, research shows that within these metropolitan areas, Asian American incomes still trail that of Whites." http://www.asian-nation.org/model-minority.shtml

The facts are that Asian Americans are a diverse group of individuals, with diverse experiences. Did you know, for example that: Asian American college students are more likely to seek medical leave, more likely to go on academic probation, and are less likely to graduate in 4 years. 1 Asian American students were more likely than White students to report difficulties with stress, sleep, and feelings of hopelessness, yet they were less likely to seek counseling. 2 33% of Asian American students drop out of high school or don't graduate on time. 3 In 2004, 11.8% of Asian Americans lived below the poverty line, experiencing the greatest rise in poverty among all groups. 4 http://cmhc.utexas.edu/modelminority.html

I personally do not believe that one race is superior than the other in one way. People can have their views and what not but I certainly do not believe that Asians are a "model minority" but it seems like they're doing something different when it comes to their education and finances.

I do know that stoicism is a big characteristic within Asian cultures and are less likely to complain or report to anyone of any stress within their lives.

According to those statistics, Asian-American college students are less likely to graduate within 4 years and more likely to go into Academic probation. Is it possible to find a comparative study on other races as well as the choice of college degrees that Asian-American students and other races have pursued in the study? If there is more pressure in becoming a Physician in school as opposed to graduating with a Bachelors in liberal arts, then I can definitely understand why there is a higher percentage that Asian-American students are more likely to be placed in academic probation.

Most foreign-born STEM workers come from Asia
African-American and Hispanic STEM workers aren’t just lacking in the U.S., they also make up a relatively small portion of the foreign-born students and professionals in STEM in the United States. Currently, 63% of foreign-born STEM workers come from Asia, with most from India or China. Think these numbers don’t matter? One in five STEM workers is foreign-born. http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2012/06/10-startling-stats-about-minorities-stem/

While the overall percentage of 24-year-olds in the United States with STEM degrees is 6%, it’s just 2.7% among African-Americans and 2.2% for Latinos.
Rates of minority students in college have increased over the past decade, and African-American and Hispanic students now make up 26% of all undergrads (though still falls short of the 33% of the population they comprise). Yet when it comes to STEM, they’re simply not graduating at the same rates as their peers. By age 24, they’ll make up a very small percentage of the STEM graduate population, representing less than 2.7% of African-American 24-year-olds and 2.2% of Hispanic 24-year-olds. http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2012/06/10-startling-stats-about-minorities-stem/

According to Bloomberg, the reason Asians may be considered "rich" in today's world can be attributed not only to their success in attaining at least a 4 year college degree but to their financial decision-making. This study done in 2015 shows a much different result compared to the study done in 2004 (from the article you cited). It just goes to show that financial prudence and intelligence is as big of a factor in attaining wealth which, according to the study, Asians are well versed at.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articl...ericans-will-soon-be-the-wealthiest-americans

A new study from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis shows that as most people assume, education is a key both to mobility and to the accumulation of wealth. But another important factor is economic decision-making. And when it comes to financial prudence, whites and Asian-Americans appear to be doing a lot better than Hispanics and African-Americans.

Consider some numbers. From 1989 to 2013, the median wealth of white families stayed essentially constant, rising (in inflation-adjusted dollars) from $130,102 to $134,008. For Hispanic families, in contrast, the value grew significantly, but from a low starting point: $9,229 to $13,900. For African-American families, the story is similar: The median rose from $7,736 to $11,184.

The biggest advance by far was made by Asian-American families, who experienced an increase from $64,165 to $94,440 (including a significant spike since 2010). For most of the past two decades, their median income has been higher than that of whites, and if current trends continue, their median wealth will soon be higher, too.

What accounts for this? Since 1989, Asian-Americans have enjoyed an explosive growth in educational attainment. In 2013, 65 percent of Asian-Americans ages 35 to 39 had a four-year college degree -- compared with 42 percent for whites, 26 percent for African-Americans and 16 percent for Hispanics. Over time, these differences are bound to produce increases in both income and wealth.

Hispanics and African-Americans have much less wealth than whites and Asian-Americans -- 90 percent less. Revealingly, this difference between the races is much greater than the income gap. Hispanics and African-Americans earn 40 percent less than whites and Asian-Americans do.

Part of the explanation for the wealth disparity involves financial decision-making. African-Americans and Hispanics show less asset diversification, and they hold twice as much debt as their Asian-American and white counterparts. They appear to be borrowing at higher interest rates and investing in assets that have low returns, such as housing.

You might think that education could explain the variations. After all, if one demographic group has more college graduates, it should do better not only in terms of income and wealth, but also on the financial health scorecard.

But that's not what the study found. Within the same categories of educational attainment, the differences among demographic groups remain almost the same. On the financial health scorecard, the gaps between Hispanics and whites, and between African-Americans and whites, are greatest at the higher levels of educational attainment.

And at every level of education, Asian-Americans show much better financial health than African-Americans and Hispanics. Holding income constant, they have managed to do relatively well in both saving money and avoiding debt.

While education matters to income and intergenerational mobility, economic well-being also depends on people’s financial decisions, which can enable them to accumulate wealth. Reducing inequality -- and promoting what Governor Jeb Bush calls a “right to rise” -- is in significant part a matter of helping people to improve those decisions.

-Drew

I personally do not believe that one race is superior than the other in one way. People can have their views and what not but I certainly do not believe that Asians are a "model minority" but it seems like they're doing something different when it comes to their education and finances.

I do know that stoicism is a big characteristic within Asian cultures and are less likely to complain or report to anyone of any stress within their lives.

According to those statistics, Asian-American college students are less likely to graduate within 4 years and more likely to go into Academic probation. Is it possible to find a comparative study on other races as well as the choice of college degrees that Asian-American students and other races have pursued in the study? If there is more pressure in becoming a Physician in school as opposed to graduating with a Bachelors in liberal arts, then I can definitely understand why there is a higher percentage that Asian-American students are more likely to be placed in academic probation.

African-American and Hispanic STEM workers aren’t just lacking in the U.S., they also make up a relatively small portion of the foreign-born students and professionals in STEM in the United States. Currently, 63% of foreign-born STEM workers come from Asia, with most from India or China. Think these numbers don’t matter? One in five STEM workers is foreign-born. http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2012/06/10-startling-stats-about-minorities-stem/

While the overall percentage of 24-year-olds in the United States with STEM degrees is 6%, it’s just 2.7% among African-Americans and 2.2% for Latinos.
Rates of minority students in college have increased over the past decade, and African-American and Hispanic students now make up 26% of all undergrads (though still falls short of the 33% of the population they comprise). Yet when it comes to STEM, they’re simply not graduating at the same rates as their peers. By age 24, they’ll make up a very small percentage of the STEM graduate population, representing less than 2.7% of African-American 24-year-olds and 2.2% of Hispanic 24-year-olds. http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2012/06/10-startling-stats-about-minorities-stem/

According to Bloomberg, the reason Asians may be considered "rich" in today's world can be attributed not only to their success in attaining at least a 4 year college degree but to their financial decision-making. This study done in 2015 shows a much different result compared to the study done in 2004 (from the article you cited). It just goes to show that financial prudence and intelligence is as big of a factor in attaining wealth which, according to the study, Asians are well versed at.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articl...ericans-will-soon-be-the-wealthiest-americans
-Drew
Be prepared to be called a SWS.  You should know by now that any disparity in economic or social status between Asians and Blacks in this country is due to nothing more than the insurmountable racism faced only by Blacks.  Any success that Asians may have in this country is due to their ***** kissing of white folks.

Be prepared to be called a SWS.  You should know by now that any disparity in economic or social status between Asians and Blacks in this country is due to nothing more than the insurmountable racism faced only by Blacks.  Any success that Asians may have in this country is due to their ***** kissing of white folks.

So systematic racism isn't real?

-Drew

View media item 877584
And intellectual discussion about an issue =/= the nonsense you post

Dude got nothing to worry about

Last edited:

-Drew

If that is the belief of a person, I am in no way able to change their opinion if that is what they truly believe in.

It's only a shame that that is how we would view the success of others. Not just the success of Asians, but that of other minorities. Somehow we can't just simply say that they have done a good job be it Latino, Black, or Asian. We have to undermine their talents, success, or happiness.

-Drew

Never said it wasn't, but people here seem to think that only blacks can be subjected to racism and automatically dismiss the opinions and experiences of other minorities.

I think the point people are trying to make is that systematic racism runs much deeper and effects more aspects of life for a black person. Not that other minorities don't go through hardships.

So systematic racism isn't real?

Never said it wasn't, but people here seem to think that only blacks can be subjected to racism and automatically dismiss the opinions and experiences of other minorities.

So the obstacles and barriers the black community have had to deal with are exactly the same as the Asian community has had to deal with?

And at the same levels? :smh:

Highness took your throne, and now you outchea like Stannis. Scrambling for attention

Last edited:
Why do all race discussions always degenerate to an argument of who has it harder/who got shafted by XYZ more?

We having good real talk and then IlluminatiNYC come in here with that ********.

:smh: :smh:

I think the point people are trying to make is that systematic racism runs much deeper and effects more aspects of life for a black person. Not that other minorities don't go through hardships.
So the obstacles and barriers the black community have had to deal with are exactly the same as the Asian community has had to deal with?

And at the same levels?
Unlike some of you, I don't make broad generalizations about an entire group of people.  I've never ONCE denied that blacks don't face racism, or that racism doesn't still exist today. HOWEVER, not every single black person is subjected to the same level of racism as all other black people, nor do they experience the EXACT same things.  Everyone's life experiences are different.

As I've posted here before, yes I'm Asian and I grew up poor in a lower income neighborhood along with other poor minorities including many blacks and latinos.  Growing up, I was subjected to discrimination and racial taunts not only by whites, but my blacks as well.   My father wasn't in the picture and my mother worked 2 jobs just to support me and my brothers.  Despite whatever economic hardships we faced, including being evicted from our home, my mother always emphasized education.  My brothers and I all went on to graduate from 4 year colleges and are doing well for ourselves now.

Is my life experience the same as other Asians?  Never said it was.  Did I face the same obstacles or barriers faced by blacks? Never said I did, but people here are quick to dismiss my PERSONAL experiences as if they're negligible because of a perceived system of racism that's apparently affected ALL black people alike.  At the end of the day, people of all walks of life face adversity in their life - whether it be racial, social, economic, cultural, etc.  Some more so than others.  You either do what you can to deal with it or you don't.  

We having good real talk and then IlluminatiNYC come in here with that ********.

mean.gif
mean.gif
Yup..because I'M the one that brought up economics and Asians into discussion right? 
mean.gif

And at the same levels?

You either do what you can to deal with it or you don't.  

Just don't protest or bring up how f-ed the police are. Right Brah :lol:

Just don't protest or bring up how f-ed the police are. Right Brah
laugh.gif
Please find a single post that I've made on this site where I've blindly defended all cops.  I've acknowledged time and time again that there are bad cops out there, and that bad cops should be held accountable for their actions -  like in the case of Freddy Grey.  But unlike some of you, I'm not going to label all cops as being bad because of the actions of a few.  

i recall hearing that in the early 20th century jews were some of the best basketball players in the US. The reason for this in America appears to be the same as for blacks: growing up in a difficult environment where one of the few opportunities to "get out" is sports.
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/basketball-and-the-jews/

another common misconception. It's better to be middle class an abover to be a basketball player. money helps up to a certain point but the otivation that comes from being poor is a non factor.

Contrary to popular perception, poverty and broken homes are underrepresented in the NBA, not overrepresented. For example, while 45 percent of black male children in the U.S. live in households earning no more than 150 percent of the poverty line ($22,050 for a family of four in 2010), just 34 percent of black athletes in the NBA grew up in that financial situation,

Nice breakdown and point of view.

Do you happen to still remember where you've read this? I'm interested in reading up on it.

-Drew

sports gene is one

pefection point

Thank you for the recommendations, bro.

-Drew

Offspring of African immigrants and African immigrants succeed more in america than any other immigrant

People love finding a way to say black people are dumb. African Americans fail because of the systematic system of white supremacy. Black immigrants from other places don't come in America mind ****** by the system.

I'll rather come to America growing up poor in a third world country before I come over here then growing up poor in the projects of America from jump

Last edited:
It takes a nation of millions to hold us back... and somehow we still flourish.

Public_Enemy-It_Takes_A_Nation_Of_Millions_To_Hold_Us_Back-Frontal.jpg

One of the best album titles ever imo.

Offspring of African immigrants and African immigrants succeed more in america than any other immigrant

People love finding a way to say black people are dumb. African Americans fail because of the systematic system of white supremacy. Black immigrants from other places don't come in America mind ****** by the system.

I'll rather come to America growing up poor in a third world country before I come over here then growing up poor in the projects of America from jump

similar to some thing i said to mr highness

You ever wonder why foreign blacks seem to always seem to be doing better in this country than African Americans? Its because my parents, and grandparents, great grand parents did not have to deal with the the generations of poverty and disenfranchisement that has shaped the mindsets of many of the people from these urban communities. You have no idea how being poor FOR GENERATIONS shapes you and your parents and their parents entire identity compared to being born with the world at your fingertips. We're all told growing up that we can become anything we want, but its completely different when you grow up seeing people succeed around you as an everyday occurrence. That success is reachable and an actual possibility. How many of these black people that youre asking to change have that around them when theyre growing up? Stop trolling or being narrow minded or whatever youre doing and actually open your eyes to whats happening around you.

Having the mindset of someone that is poor and has always been poor is not the same as simply not having any money and is far more destructive

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom