would you buy a used high mileage M5???

Originally Posted by polorico

if dude is coppin a whip like that he got some pocket change.
cop it and stunt on these boys with it 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

If he had pocket change he would cop one with a reasonable amount of miles, though.

Originally Posted by polorico

if dude is coppin a whip like that he got some pocket change.
cop it and stunt on these boys with it 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Budget ballin. 
laugh.gif

I woudnt even get a Lexus or Infiniti with 100k+ miles.

100 K driven in a Southern state like FL,GA,MS = Go for it

100 K driven in the North like NY,MA,CT = aww hell no.........

Don't do it.

This was my dream car in 2006, though. Same color and everything.
laugh.gif

Expensive cars are not worth it in the long run.

Originally Posted by Murkn3m

Originally Posted by do work son

i wouldn't buy any high mileage used bmw German car

fixed
This topic gets posted so often there should be a sticky for it on the front page. 

I purchased a 2001 BMW 325ci with 74,000 miles on it for $16.5k in December 2005.  Between 2005 and 2009, I would guesstimate that I spent another $8k for repairs (not maintenance). If I had just paid $22k from jump, I could have gotten a 2002 with 30,000 miles on it. 

If you don't have the money to buy a new or certified preowned with warranty and/or you're not a mechanic or can get a great hookup on repairs, AVOID LIKE FREAKING AIDS, DUDE. 

Maybe, but it depends on what year. I bought my 02 M5 with 46k miles back in 07, and it's been FLAWLESS. One of my boys bought a 06, with 45k miles back in 08 and just got rid of it. Let's just say the indy shop was almost like a second home to the car. With 115K miles, you're REALLY rolling the dice. I can tell you right now that 06's were very problematic and something like clutch job will cost you 6K.

My advice, stay away. Unlike the E39's, the E60's are more problematic because of all the new technology, which also makes it harder to work on yourself. I'm a BIG BMW fan, but having/buying a M5/M6 with more than 100k miles and without a warranty is HUGE gamble.

i wouldn't buy anything with that kind of mileage... maybe if it was like...... 5k id think about it.

Originally Posted by MyJaysGetRocked

Maybe, but it depends on what year. I bought my 02 M5 with 46k miles back in 07, and it's been FLAWLESS. One of my boys bought a 06, with 45k miles back in 08 and just got rid of it. Let's just say the indy shop was almost like a second home to the car. With 115K miles, you're REALLY rolling the dice. I can tell you right now that 06's were very problematic and something like clutch job will cost you 6K.

My advice, stay away. Unlike the E39's, the E60's are more problematic because of all the new technology, which also makes it harder to work on yourself. I'm a BIG BMW fan, but having/buying a M5/M6 with more than 100k miles and without a warranty is HUGE gamble.
Listen to this man.

The E39 M5 is still an impressive car IMO.  I was shopping them earlier this year but decided to place an order on an E90 M3 Sedan (Euro Delivery) before they stop production.  

How many miles on your M5 now man?

laugh.gif
buying a used BMW with high mileage is like the worst move you can make.. you are just asking to get hit with thousands in repairs before too long. remember the car may be cheap, but the maintenance and parts are the same price.

i know someone who bought a used 5-series with like 130k on it.. within a year the transmission went bad and the bill was $7k. last time i saw him he still hadnt fixed it, dude was riding around with like 17 diagnostic lights on
laugh.gif

E60 M5

10 cylinders
10 throttle bodies
basically 10 of everything
somewhere between 3and 10 ecu's
'06 was SMG only so all those hydraulics
not to mention all the other electronics in the car

if you're not worried about all that, then solid buy

No it ain't worth it to look fly. Especially if money is a factor. This purchase would not be practical at all.

Take that 30K or whatever, and go get something fully loaded with a 10 year warranty or something @ 25K and invest or pocket the rest of the money. Get your grown man on
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bruza

Listen to this man.

The E39 M5 is still an impressive car IMO.  I was shopping them earlier this year but decided to place an order on an E90 M3 Sedan (Euro Delivery) before they stop production.  

First, Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the family
happy.gif
. European delivery is starting to become more popular with the M group. Have fun and enjoy it man
devil.gif
(although you'll still be in the break-in period). The delivery from Europe to the U.S. after initial delivery is gonna seem like FOREVER. What kind of options did you order, if you mind me asking. 

My car has about 65k on it right now. Depending on how things go, I might pick up a used M6 or place an order for the new M5 (even though it's a first generation) late jan, and then it's modding time for my E39. 

If your M3 isn't gonna be a daily driver, I would say look into the E39 as a daily. . They are very fun to drive cause of the low-end torque, unlike other M's. Maintenance really isn't that bad, and for the most part their solid. If your someone who likes working on cars, ownership becomes that much easier. 
Originally Posted by Tetsujin23

Unlike the E39's,
WRONG, their cooling systems are ticking timebombs 
laugh.gif

My brother bought a brand new 540 back in 01, which now has 105k, and my M5 has 65k, both have never had any cooling problems. Got 5 BMW's in the family, and none have had any major problems*knock on wood*
BTW, weren't you looking to get into an m5?

an e60 yes, but i passed on that a long time ago. 
laugh.gif
i sold my e39 and got an Infiniti M35S and now i'm going for a e90 

Originally Posted by bruza

Listen to this man.

First, Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the family
happy.gif
. European delivery is starting to become more popular with the M group. Have fun and enjoy it man
devil.gif
(although you'll still be in the break-in period). The delivery from Europe to the U.S. after initial delivery is gonna seem like FOREVER. What kind of options did you order, if you mind me asking. 

My car has about 65k on it right now. Depending on how things go, I might pick up a used M6 or place an order for the new M5 (even though it's a first generation) late jan, and then it's modding time for my E39. 

If your M3 isn't gonna be a daily driver, I would say look into the E39 as a daily. . They are very fun to drive cause of the low-end torque, unlike other M's. Maintenance really isn't that bad, and for the most part their solid. If your someone who likes working on cars, ownership becomes that much easier. 
Thanks man.  Just got my deposit in a couple weeks ago.  I'm still waiting to hear back on my pick up date in Germany.  It's going to be October/ November timeframe so I'll probably have one of the last E90 M3 Sedans made. 

I hear you on the waiting part.  It's going to be a while before I see my car here though.  I ordered the car through a dealer in Cali (I live in WA) so I'll have to fly down to LA and drive it back.  I'll be past the break in period once I get home though. 
laugh.gif

I went with Lemans Blue/ Rust Brown (Individual) Leather, Carbon Leather Trim, DCT, Convenience Package, Premium Package 3, Moonroof, Cold Weather Package, Auto High Beams & Sat Radio.  Nicely optioned I think. 
pimp.gif

I'll keep my eye out for an E39 M5 though.  I'm planning on keeping my Volvo S60 R for the time being though.  Glad I have a company vehicle to keep miles off both for now. 

I would say go for the new M5.  Those are looking nice.  Twin Turbo V8 right?  I was considering that as well but will hold out a few years. 

so my question is, if everyone KNOWS bimmers are a nightmare after warranty, why does everyone keep sucking on them...i mean

shoot in any other topic you tell someone "hey u can buy something that was worth 100k for only 25-30k" and they'ed jump on it..wit luxury cars

its a hells now.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

so my question is, if everyone KNOWS bimmers are a nightmare after warranty, why does everyone keep sucking on them...i mean

shoot in any other topic you tell someone "hey u can buy something that was worth 100k for only 25-30k" and they'ed jump on it..wit luxury cars

its a hells now.
laugh.gif
i personally had no idea until after having my car.  in retrospect, i wish i had gotten one of the acura cl's i was looking at. i would have saved so much doe.
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom