40k salary for a job you like or 100k for a job you don't like?

Depends on your upbringing and personality. Some people would be happy with less but feeling fulfilled and some people need to make that 100k.

As my friend's dad told me: "Make the money first, you can do what you want to after."

But on the flipside: "Life is short."

Yeah.....article makes sense. Kids have way more options to explore and taking a pay decrease won't hurt them at all. I mean some can still live at home while taking a 40K job and still have a lot to show for it. Plus they don't know any better as far as what getting lots of money can do for them. For most, it's hard for people to go from a high paying to a low paying job. For them, they are probably just happy to get a job that they love to do.

But that really is the difference between the younger generation and the older ones. Younger people want instant gratification and quality of life right now. Older generation wants to work hard so they can retire at a proper time. That is why my mom doesn't get why people are so picky with their occupation but then she literally hasn't traveled outside of California aside from Hawaii. She thinks all these kids traveling are wasting money. Can you believe that.

While I understand where your mom is coming from, it was easier to find jobs in the 70s and 80s or even in the 60s as I don't know how old your mom is. We literally are getting paid less (relative to the cost of living and our cost of education) than they were. We really are disadvantaged compared to the older generation. Not to mention we are priced out of buying a house in a city like NYC or San Fran because there are speculative buyers from outside countries. Our parents didn't have to deal with such issues.

all depends on the situation..... 

if you need the money for a good cause (ie: family needs, to help others, etc) and are taking one for the team, go get that 100k 

but if your only motivation for taking the 100k is so you can buy more materialistic ****, well..... you apparently don't value your mental state 

i value my mental state.... my freedom in the work place.... and the atmosphere in which i work in... 

it'd be hard for me to leave for more money.... would rather stay here and work on getting more money where im at 

While I understand where your mom is coming from, it was easier to find jobs in the 70s and 80s or even in the 60s as I don't know how old your mom is. We literally are getting paid less (relative to the cost of living and our cost of education) than they were. We really are disadvantaged compared to the older generation. Not to mention we are priced out of buying a house in a city like NYC or San Fran because there are speculative buyers from outside countries. Our parents didn't have to deal with such issues.

True but that is why she hates the younger generation even more. Things are so pricey as is, why put your money into a thing that has no return. For example, my girl wants a $20K wedding ring. It's something that women now a days are asking for when back in the days, a wedding ring used to cost like $1000 or so. Although I agree with my mom that the ring is a bad investment, it is hard to argue that with someone (my girl) that is surrounded by nothing but expensive tasting s-heads that all have gotten 20-50K rings. And it's not even just rings. We are a generation that loves shoes, cars, clothing, etc. None of which was that important to the older generation. But even with all that, kids still want some sort of freedom in their work and would sacrifice all those material needs to even just get sanity in the work field. A part of me gets it but its all got to change at some point.

Bruh back then people would find their career through the newspaper :x

I don't think they really hear you fam.

Call this generation soft or whatever, you have to be Ford tough and on the grind hard to flourish as a young dude out here these days.

Much harder than the previous generation. Entitlement my ***.

Especially if you're a minority w/ parents that have a nonexistent network so you don't even get that crutch either. Everything from the ground up.

Last edited:
I don't think they really hear you fam.

Call this generation soft or whatever, you have to be Ford tough and on the grind hard to flourish as a young dude out here these days.

Much harder than the previous generation. Entitlement my ***.

Especially if you're a minority w/ parents that have a nonexistent network so you don't even get that crutch either. Everything from the ground up.

Things have definatly changed mentality wise. Before people "listened to their gut" and hired taking a chance. Now, not so much. The real job paradox of today's generation, you need experience to land a job but you can't gain experience with landing a job. Basically you're SOL. Now there's the "just get in" mentality, and I get it, but sacrificing years to bottom pay isn't a good choice for some people, or even a viable option. It also ensures nothing

This is also the generation of "because I know you". People are being hired to run things but don't know how. In 30 years small industries and companies will be in shambles

Last edited:
True but that is why she hates the younger generation even more. Things are so pricey as is, why put your money into a thing that has no return. For example, my girl wants a $20K wedding ring. It's something that women now a days are asking for when back in the days, a wedding ring used to cost like $1000 or so. Although I agree with my mom that the ring is a bad investment, it is hard to argue that with someone (my girl) that is surrounded by nothing but expensive tasting s-heads that all have gotten 20-50K rings. And it's not even just rings. We are a generation that loves shoes, cars, clothing, etc. None of which was that important to the older generation. But even with all that, kids still want some sort of freedom in their work and would sacrifice all those material needs to even just get sanity in the work field. A part of me gets it but its all got to change at some point.

It's all relative though. I think that people in their 20s aren't as bad anymore. Sure you have that group that you speak of, but a lot of my grad school classmates don't think that way just like I don't neither. Actually compared to the previous 2 generations we are more frugal than them. One reason is that we don't have the spending power that they did at our age. But I think that a good number of us aren't so gullible to the marketers and sales pitches.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone (get a new one every 2-3 years) and my macbook (have mine from 2008 and still running okay), but I don't need a Benz or Bimmer like some people. I don't buy name brand stuff just because, I buy it only when it's heavily on sale and looks nice and not gaudy. There is more of this nowadays then there ever was. There are numerous researches that state this fact, marketers are having a difficult time in selling us certain products that our parents and grandparents ate up like candy. We aren't as susceptible.

Yeah.....article makes sense. Kids have way more options to explore and taking a pay decrease won't hurt them at all. I mean some can still live at home while taking a 40K job and still have a lot to show for it. Plus they don't know any better as far as what getting lots of money can do for them. For most, it's hard for people to go from a high paying to a low paying job. For them, they are probably just happy to get a job that they love to do.

But that really is the difference between the younger generation and the older ones. Younger people want instant gratification and quality of life right now. Older generation wants to work hard so they can retire at a proper time. That is why my mom doesn't get why people are so picky with their occupation but then she literally hasn't traveled outside of California aside from Hawaii. She thinks all these kids traveling are wasting money. Can you believe that.
Reminds me of my parents, I got traditional Chinese parents that seem to think it's all about money and saving money etc.  I've never seen eye to eye on them and don't have a good relationship with them.  Actually, the only thing they like about my daughter's mother that I live with is that she makes a good income even in bay area standard.  

Haven't read a single reply in this 10 page thread. I dont need to. what a joke.

People love to take the "I'd rather be happy" cop out....oh please. six figures opens up any avenue you'd ever imagine. Making Six figures Means you can afford just abiut any luxury car AND Luxury Housing you want, with plenty of fun money leftover. Vs choosing the option of 40 where you'd probably struggle with basic life expenses.

Money CAN buy happiness, and anybody who says it can't us full of dog ****. PERIOD.

Last edited:
Have read a single reply in this 10 page thread. That said, what a joke.

People love to take the "I'd rather be happy" cop out....oh please. six figures opens up any avenue you'd ever imagine. Making Six figures Means you can afford just abiut any luxury car AND Luxury Housing you want, with plenty of fun money leftover. Vs choosing the option of 40 where you'd probably struggle with basic life expenses.

Heavily depends on where you live.. In my city 40K is getting you an affordable high-tier apartment and more then enough to handle every other expense with plenty left over.

You're not going to be whipping a Benz or an M4, but you most definitely won't be driving a bucket. Just a flamboyant status symbol anyways.

This is as a single person.

Last edited:
Maybe if you opted to read, you'd see people also determined that 100k isn't what it used to be.
$100k in Iowa City, sure you're living nice...even before tax.
$100k before tax in SF Bay Area. You're middle class. not even high middle.

Now if you're talking $500k 6 figures, then we're in a new ballpark.

Last edited:

Bruh back then people would find their career through the newspaper :x

My momb is 54 and was looking for a job.

I was amazed at her lack of tenacity and not understanding why she wasn't getting. Job...

Come to find out when she graduated from college, from a small HBCU, she had 4 job offers, one was willing to transfer her job down to where we were living .

And she had a criminal Justice degree

I was like :wow:

Then wee-bey'ed...

Back then, graduating college was a ticket to a career... And you had opps left and right.

Not anymore...

Of you a graduating guy in this climate... I salute you famb. :pimp:

stanford, doe.

It's all relative though. I think that people in their 20s aren't as bad anymore. Sure you have that group that you speak of, but a lot of my grad school classmates don't think that way just like I don't neither. Actually compared to the previous 2 generations we are more frugal than them. One reason is that we don't have the spending power that they did at our age. But I think that a good number of us aren't so gullible to the marketers and sales pitches.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone (get a new one every 2-3 years) and my macbook (have mine from 2008 and still running okay), but I don't need a Benz or Bimmer like some people. I don't buy name brand stuff just because, I buy it only when it's heavily on sale and looks nice and not gaudy. There is more of this nowadays then there ever was. There are numerous researches that state this fact, marketers are having a difficult time in selling us certain products that our parents and grandparents ate up like candy. We aren't as susceptible.

You got me there. I honestly don't even know that generation of people and how they think. I am sure they are different then who I am speaking on. And even though that article stresses people not taking those high paying jobs, there still are those that are hopping on that opportunity. My buddy lives in a $800K condo complex in the Dog Patch area in SF and most of his neighbors are all kids in their 20s to 30s.

Haven't read a single reply in this 10 page thread. I dont need to. what a joke.

Money CAN buy happiness, and anybody who says it can't us full of dog ****. PERIOD.

Like we have been saying before, those 100K jobs can be really stressful and full of work. People in their early 20s might not be into that work mode. We're talking working weekends, being on call 24/7, traveling, working late hours, etc. Your personal life can be definitely compromised.

I mean I have a job lined up once I finish grad school so I'm personally not worried. I'm working through school right now as well so I know the struggle first hand and have been able to save money. But that is because my mom owns a multi-family home and I live in one of the apartments for a discounted rate compared to the market rate for apartments here. I am blessed for that compared to my friends. Now my close friends aren't struggling either because they are all in high paying careers, but they spend an exuberant amount of money on rent.

One of my best friends is in San Fran pulling in over 500k at the age of 27 but he is working his *** off. Is it worth it? I guess, but he can't enjoy his money as much as he should so it's almost for nothing. Money is his driving force to life so I understand. I wouldn't want that for the 100-120 hour weeks he has. It's all relative to what you want. 150-200k in NYC and I'm fine working 50-60 hours per week. 40 hour weeks will lead me to struggling paycheck to paycheck in a city like NYC.

My momb is 54 and was looking for a job.

I was amazed at her lack of tenacity and not understanding why she wasn't getting. Job...

Come to find out when she graduated from college, from a small HBCU, she had 4 job offers, one was willing to transfer her job down to where we were living .

And she had a criminal Justice degree

I was like :wow:

Then wee-bey'ed...

Back then, graduating college was a ticket to a career... And you had opps left and right.

Not anymore...

Of you a graduating guy in this climate... I salute you famb. :pimp:
stanford, doe.

A bachelors degree is just a HS diploma 2.0 now. It's really not even respected. It's literally just a minimum requirement. We live in the who you know generation. I know complete dumbasses working with daddy's friend making bank.

As far as money can buy happiness :lol:

No

Happiness is the wrong word. Money can a calm of mind I feel. A person who can meet all his financial obligations and can also afford to just get away as he/she feels/needs is in a better mental state than someone who is struggling paycheck to paycheck or worse yet, meal to meal.

Happiness is the wrong word. Money can a calm of mind I feel. A person who can meet all his financial obligations and can also afford to just get away as he/she feels/needs is in a better mental state than someone who is struggling paycheck to paycheck or worse yet, meal to meal.
Most people who are making the 100k can't just get away

Most people who are making the 100k can't just get away

They can take a long weekend or afford a vacation 1-2 times per year. They can usually afford that much most of the time. Someone who is struggling paycheck to paycheck can't even do that.

Money definitely makes life easier but happiness is kind of on a different scale and there are so many variables to make that. I know a guy that is a manager here and makes a good coin but has a horrible marriage and just seems miserable from that. Money literally isn't doing anything to fix that and it will be the one thing that will disappear if he gets a divorce. This goes for a lot of rich people. I am sure not all of them are happy as can be but I doubt any of them would want to be poor either.

One of my best friends is in San Fran pulling in over 500k at the age of 27 but he is working his *** off.

What does he do if you don't mind me asking?

They can take a long weekend or afford a vacation 1-2 times per year. They can usually afford that much most of the time. Someone who is struggling paycheck to paycheck can't even do that.
I know people that are working at places where they have so many vacation dates blacked out it's hard just to take the vacation.  Also 40k is not struggling depending on how resourceful the person is.  They also may not need to get away since they aren't stressed to that degree

Money definitely makes life easier but happiness is kind of on a different scale and there are so many variables to make that. I know a guy that is a manager here and makes a good coin but has a horrible marriage and just seems miserable from that. Money literally isn't doing anything to fix that and it will be the one thing that will disappear if he gets a divorce. This goes for a lot of rich people. I am sure not all of them are happy as can be but I doubt any of them would want to be poor either.
What does he do if you don't mind me asking?

He's a VP at a Private Equity firm.

Ive been thinking about this scenario for a while now. A little background, im a cop in NJ. I made 110k last year with overtime. I have a HS diploma and 62 college credits. I hate my dept. i would like to switch over to another dept but that means i drop back to starting pay which is around 50k. I cant see myself being with this dept for my whole career, but i cant pull the trigger and take that 60k pay cut either

Being a cop in Upper Bergen County (just assuming) must be nice :lol:

Back
Top Bottom