How do You Organize, Manage, and Present Your iTunes?

Up until about 3 years ago everything was pretty organized.
The actual files were placed in subfolders from My Music -> Artist -> Album
The tags were decent, I had it so the artist had the artists (Jay-Z f/ Beanie Sigel) and the genres were standardized.
However 3 years ago I sorta just let it go. It's hard having 9000+ songs all good to go. Was easy with 2000.
I figure one day I'm gonna sit down and fix it, but who knows.

Up until about 3 years ago everything was pretty organized.
The actual files were placed in subfolders from My Music -> Artist -> Album
The tags were decent, I had it so the artist had the artists (Jay-Z f/ Beanie Sigel) and the genres were standardized.
However 3 years ago I sorta just let it go. It's hard having 9000+ songs all good to go. Was easy with 2000.
I figure one day I'm gonna sit down and fix it, but who knows.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Dang I must be the only playlist nut. I got over 300, something for every single mood... twice.

eek.gif
Son. I've got 17 and have had thoughts about erasing some
laugh.gif

Lol I just don't understand the point in not utilizing playlist. The Playlist was meant to, and succeeded in replacing radio, music video queues, and  the archaically limitted 700 MB CD-ROM.
I mean, I guess if you only listen to LP's in their entirety all day I understand. 

I know there's also people who just let their library's shuffle but I don't get it. I'm not trying to hear "Oh Let's Do It" immediately fallowing the Temps "My Girl."

There's times when I need the spontaneity and I do let my $$+$ shuffle but 99/100 times that's not how I'm trying to listen to music.  

Dang I must be the only playlist nut. I got over 300, something for every single mood... twice.

eek.gif
laugh.gif

Lol I just don't understand the point in not utilizing playlist. The Playlist was meant to, and succeeded in replacing radio, music video queues, and  the archaically limitted 700 MB CD-ROM.
I mean, I guess if you only listen to LP's in their entirety all day I understand. 

I know there's also people who just let their library's shuffle but I don't get it. I'm not trying to hear "Oh Let's Do It" immediately fallowing the Temps "My Girl."

There's times when I need the spontaneity and I do let my $$+$ shuffle but 99/100 times that's not how I'm trying to listen to music.  

Originally Posted by zube42
My track title format is "_____ ft. ______, _______ & _______ (Prod. by _____)
It's gotta be exactly like that, "f." "feat." or "featuring", wont do. Neither will "and" it has to be "&"
The production credit is one of the compromise I make, if I can't recognize the producer by ear or remember it off the top of my head it's most likely not listed.
Every once in a while I purge my library of anything I don't listen to or don't ever see myself listening to again.
EXACTLY that.

Originally Posted by zube42
My track title format is "_____ ft. ______, _______ & _______ (Prod. by _____)
It's gotta be exactly like that, "f." "feat." or "featuring", wont do. Neither will "and" it has to be "&"
The production credit is one of the compromise I make, if I can't recognize the producer by ear or remember it off the top of my head it's most likely not listed.
Every once in a while I purge my library of anything I don't listen to or don't ever see myself listening to again.
EXACTLY that.

My iTunes is OD organized, it's been that way since I got my first ipod in 05. It's been through 3 different laptops and still in great shape
laugh.gif

- EVERY song/movie/music video in my iTunes MUST have artwork. Even if it's a single from an album that hasn't even been titled yet I at least put a picture of the artist. The hardest album art to find is for songs from the 70's and one hit wonders
- the categories I fill in are song name, album name, artist and genre. Features are always included with the song title not the artists (this is key for keeping it organized)
- playlists are a necessity I got 90's Music, Down South, West Coast, East Coast, Michael Jackson, Jay-Z, R&B, Neptunes Productions, Timbaland Productions, Solid Gold Soul, New Music, mixtapes and the general one that I throw EVERYTHING in is called My Playlist. I also have playlists for comedy shows on Sirius Satellite Radio's Foxxhole channel

I need to start scrapping some mixtapes though, way too many skippable tracks in there. I could use the extra space on my iPhone

My iTunes is OD organized, it's been that way since I got my first ipod in 05. It's been through 3 different laptops and still in great shape
laugh.gif

- EVERY song/movie/music video in my iTunes MUST have artwork. Even if it's a single from an album that hasn't even been titled yet I at least put a picture of the artist. The hardest album art to find is for songs from the 70's and one hit wonders
- the categories I fill in are song name, album name, artist and genre. Features are always included with the song title not the artists (this is key for keeping it organized)
- playlists are a necessity I got 90's Music, Down South, West Coast, East Coast, Michael Jackson, Jay-Z, R&B, Neptunes Productions, Timbaland Productions, Solid Gold Soul, New Music, mixtapes and the general one that I throw EVERYTHING in is called My Playlist. I also have playlists for comedy shows on Sirius Satellite Radio's Foxxhole channel

I need to start scrapping some mixtapes though, way too many skippable tracks in there. I could use the extra space on my iPhone

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

This is a serious problem that I haven't found a solution to. I can't have a handful of tracks that I like from a tape just floating around but I also don't like having all that filler and some times straight up trash in my library.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

This is a serious problem that I haven't found a solution to. I can't have a handful of tracks that I like from a tape just floating around but I also don't like having all that filler and some times straight up trash in my library.

eek.gif
laugh.gif

No doubt. I definitely see the use of playlists, I just dont use them for anything but categorizing certain crews or artists with more than 1 alias (Dungeon Fam, Wu-Tang, DOOM/Geedorah/Viktor/etc) and organizing by decade. Also 1 playlist for my favorite albums. This is all outside the standard lists like 'most played' or 'recently added.'

If I werent so lazy I'd make lists for moods or whatever else.

And I rarely have my !%+@ on shuffle. Because I usually listen to LP's in their entirety all day
smile.gif

eek.gif
laugh.gif

No doubt. I definitely see the use of playlists, I just dont use them for anything but categorizing certain crews or artists with more than 1 alias (Dungeon Fam, Wu-Tang, DOOM/Geedorah/Viktor/etc) and organizing by decade. Also 1 playlist for my favorite albums. This is all outside the standard lists like 'most played' or 'recently added.'

If I werent so lazy I'd make lists for moods or whatever else.

And I rarely have my !%+@ on shuffle. Because I usually listen to LP's in their entirety all day
smile.gif

glad to see i'm not the only OCD itunes organizer. its to the point where i lose respect for people who don't organizer their itunes. like i can't take your musical opinions seriously if ya itunes a mess...
laugh.gif

i organize the folders I keep my music in (My Music>Itunes>Artist>Albums), then organize on my itunes. Filter by artist, album, year, producer, and grouping (usually the record label or music crew a.k.a. Roc A Fella, Stones Throw, Rawkus, etc). I go on hunts on discogs.com to find out producers/composers. And the album art is a must.

What display on itunes do yall use? Cover flow? I've been using List w/ Column browser as my songs # grows.

glad to see i'm not the only OCD itunes organizer. its to the point where i lose respect for people who don't organizer their itunes. like i can't take your musical opinions seriously if ya itunes a mess...
laugh.gif

i organize the folders I keep my music in (My Music>Itunes>Artist>Albums), then organize on my itunes. Filter by artist, album, year, producer, and grouping (usually the record label or music crew a.k.a. Roc A Fella, Stones Throw, Rawkus, etc). I go on hunts on discogs.com to find out producers/composers. And the album art is a must.

What display on itunes do yall use? Cover flow? I've been using List w/ Column browser as my songs # grows.

nwzl9e.jpg
i switch between list and grid view, depending on how im searching for something or using iTunes at the time. Headings always stay consistent and in order of Album Title alphabetically. Subtext and featured artists go in parentheses but anything with a Remix designation goes in brackets

I try to keep mp3s at 320 or VBR. My favorite albums are all in Apple Lossless format. When i get a better rig i'll play around with higher quality audio components but this works fine for me now, placebo affect or whatever 
laugh.gif

ALL my music is stored in the same folder. SOme people may not know that iTunes stores files in two different locations when you chose to copy files to an "iTunes Music Folder"under Preferences. Something to consider if you wanna save space. 

tag fields stay consistent with EVERY SINGLE ALBUM. the only variable is the Composer field. if i don't know the producer/composer it stays blank. I only use a few general Genre tags (i.e. I only have Rock as a Genre, not CLassic or Punk or Alternative). Hip Hop is always Hip Hop, not Hip-Hop or Hip-Hop/Rap or any of the popular ways to tag that field. I stay on top of this with EVERY album i add

Lyrics go on every song. When you have an iPod touch/iPhone you can chose to have lyrics show on the screen.

nwzl9e.jpg
i switch between list and grid view, depending on how im searching for something or using iTunes at the time. Headings always stay consistent and in order of Album Title alphabetically. Subtext and featured artists go in parentheses but anything with a Remix designation goes in brackets

I try to keep mp3s at 320 or VBR. My favorite albums are all in Apple Lossless format. When i get a better rig i'll play around with higher quality audio components but this works fine for me now, placebo affect or whatever 
laugh.gif

ALL my music is stored in the same folder. SOme people may not know that iTunes stores files in two different locations when you chose to copy files to an "iTunes Music Folder"under Preferences. Something to consider if you wanna save space. 

tag fields stay consistent with EVERY SINGLE ALBUM. the only variable is the Composer field. if i don't know the producer/composer it stays blank. I only use a few general Genre tags (i.e. I only have Rock as a Genre, not CLassic or Punk or Alternative). Hip Hop is always Hip Hop, not Hip-Hop or Hip-Hop/Rap or any of the popular ways to tag that field. I stay on top of this with EVERY album i add

Lyrics go on every song. When you have an iPod touch/iPhone you can chose to have lyrics show on the screen.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
105zedw.jpg
[/font]

Every song has been listened to and rated. Absolutely necessary to navigate through all this music.

*edit* this was before my computer crashed
sick.gif
... ALWAYS SAVE THE .XML FILE FROM YOUR MUSIC FOLDER IN THE MY DOCUMENTS FOLDER! This file has all the data for your ratings and playlists, I lost all that #@$
mad.gif
I'm rebuilding tho
nerd.gif

Smart playlists go hard in the paint tho...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
105zedw.jpg
[/font]

Every song has been listened to and rated. Absolutely necessary to navigate through all this music.

*edit* this was before my computer crashed
sick.gif
... ALWAYS SAVE THE .XML FILE FROM YOUR MUSIC FOLDER IN THE MY DOCUMENTS FOLDER! This file has all the data for your ratings and playlists, I lost all that #@$
mad.gif
I'm rebuilding tho
nerd.gif

Smart playlists go hard in the paint tho...

my playlists are pretty much . . artist name (album name) have a ton of these but i do have those sleep/gangsta/electro/producers etc etc playlists

but chyea rating music is def essential looking through all the music can be annoying

pretty much

Spoiler [+]
5580994255_9377d0acd0_b.jpg

my playlists are pretty much . . artist name (album name) have a ton of these but i do have those sleep/gangsta/electro/producers etc etc playlists

but chyea rating music is def essential looking through all the music can be annoying

pretty much

Spoiler [+]
5580994255_9377d0acd0_b.jpg

I never got into rating songs for some reason... If I don't like songs on an album or mixtape I'll just delete them.

Back
Top Bottom