Living without a cell phone...vol. smart or dumb

iBlink wrote:

Why not get a hella basic phone and downgrade it to the minimum calling plan with no extra features. I swear folks have forgotten the primary function of a phone.
Or even the most basic of functions: Power off.

If you do not feel comfortable ignoring calls and text then you can just turn it off.  I'm sorry, but I'm one of those people who believe there are almost no excuses (outside the obvious ones) for not having a cell phone in this day and age.  If you do not want to be reached you can turn it off.  Plain and simple.

"Don't cut off your nose to spite you face." 

I left my phone home once when I went to class recently..that 1 hour and 20 minutes almost killed me!

Don't do it OP

I left my phone home once when I went to class recently..that 1 hour and 20 minutes almost killed me!

Don't do it OP

I purposely left my phone at home today. It just gives me a cluttered feeling. With a cell phone you are tethered to the everyone, in a sense. I feel like we become to dependent on technology and that tends to spoil us.

I purposely left my phone at home today. It just gives me a cluttered feeling. With a cell phone you are tethered to the everyone, in a sense. I feel like we become to dependent on technology and that tends to spoil us.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

This is more of my sentiment.  I have no signal while i work so i am out of touch with almost everyone all day.  So i don't' think it would be that difficult of a transition for me.  But some times i feel like all the social technology makes people anti social.  Like i sit around with friends and half of them are texting other people.  It's like people have forgotten to live in the present.

Plus i miss the good old days of just driving to friends houses knocking on there door and just seeing if they are there.  Now a days people don't even answer their door just stay seated on the couch like must be a salesman don't get it. 

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

This is more of my sentiment.  I have no signal while i work so i am out of touch with almost everyone all day.  So i don't' think it would be that difficult of a transition for me.  But some times i feel like all the social technology makes people anti social.  Like i sit around with friends and half of them are texting other people.  It's like people have forgotten to live in the present.

Plus i miss the good old days of just driving to friends houses knocking on there door and just seeing if they are there.  Now a days people don't even answer their door just stay seated on the couch like must be a salesman don't get it. 

been doing this for a week now, i sort of miss it but honestly im doing quite alright without it + it means a little extra $ saved in my pocket

been doing this for a week now, i sort of miss it but honestly im doing quite alright without it + it means a little extra $ saved in my pocket

Originally Posted by iBlink

What if an emergency comes up and you need to call the authorities or your family? You'll be SOL all because you wanted to be different.
laugh.gif

Why not get a hella basic phone and downgrade it to the minimum calling plan with no extra features. I swear folks have forgotten the primary function of a phone.
 Welcome to  the world pre-  1970

Originally Posted by iBlink

What if an emergency comes up and you need to call the authorities or your family? You'll be SOL all because you wanted to be different.
laugh.gif

Welcome to  the world pre-  1970

Originally Posted by Jking0821

So i have been thinking about trying to live without my cell phone for a while now.  I like challenges and my contract for AT&T is up in February.  So i was thinking for a new years resolution see if i can go for a year without it.

I recently deleted my facebook and i have actually really enjoyed it.  I feel like now when i see people after a while we have stuff to talk about because I don't see people's life events in my face every day.  ("Did you see Jaime and John are moving in together"  "No" "Oh it was on their facebook").

I know i will probably miss stuff but i think it would be some what enjoyable to go through life and actually talk to people and not have to text some one all the time or always have some one texting you.

So what do you think.  Good idea? Bad Idea? If anyone one has done it before would love to hear how it went.  Or if anyone currently doesn't have a cell phone how you communicate with people. 

I think its an excellent idea. I don't have to get me a smart phone with a ridiculoid minimum of $75.00 cell bill a month! I also deleted all my social networking sites i.e: Facebook, MySpace, Friendster, Tag, etc. Gives me more free time out doors and  more quality time here on Niketalk!
roll.gif

So i have been thinking about trying to live without my cell phone for a while now.  I like challenges and my contract for AT&T is up in February.  So i was thinking for a new years resolution see if i can go for a year without it.

I recently deleted my facebook and i have actually really enjoyed it.  I feel like now when i see people after a while we have stuff to talk about because I don't see people's life events in my face every day.  ("Did you see Jaime and John are moving in together"  "No" "Oh it was on their facebook").

I know i will probably miss stuff but i think it would be some what enjoyable to go through life and actually talk to people and not have to text some one all the time or always have some one texting you.

So what do you think.  Good idea? Bad Idea? If anyone one has done it before would love to hear how it went.  Or if anyone currently doesn't have a cell phone how you communicate with people. 

I think its an excellent idea. I don't have to get me a smart phone with a ridiculoid minimum of $75.00 cell bill a month! I also deleted all my social networking sites i.e: Facebook, MySpace, Friendster, Tag, etc. Gives me more free time out doors and  more quality time here on Niketalk!
roll.gif

Back in highschool, i got in tons of trouble.. so I ended up without a phone for about a year.

Funny thing was that I came up on an iPhone..

So the only thing I used it for was to store numbers..

It honestly sucks, you have to borrow phones to get a hold of people.. not to mention, no one could get a hold of you..
smh.

Back in highschool, i got in tons of trouble.. so I ended up without a phone for about a year.

Funny thing was that I came up on an iPhone..

So the only thing I used it for was to store numbers..

It honestly sucks, you have to borrow phones to get a hold of people.. not to mention, no one could get a hold of you..
smh.

OP, you should make a documentary and educate us about living without a cell phone/outer communication with humans.

OP, you should make a documentary and educate us about living without a cell phone/outer communication with humans.

Originally Posted by VietStar

This really isn't a bad idea.  Lol my best friend just graduated from Towson with his degree in film.

But i was watching opera like 3 or 4 years ago maybe longer about a kid who went to college and took a vow of silence for a whole year.  He had like a note pad and wrote down things to communicate but didn't speak for a year.  I think that is insane and would be one hell of a challenge (i would fail that miserably) but i think he shot a small documentary for that experiment.

Originally Posted by VietStar

This really isn't a bad idea.  Lol my best friend just graduated from Towson with his degree in film.

But i was watching opera like 3 or 4 years ago maybe longer about a kid who went to college and took a vow of silence for a whole year.  He had like a note pad and wrote down things to communicate but didn't speak for a year.  I think that is insane and would be one hell of a challenge (i would fail that miserably) but i think he shot a small documentary for that experiment.

One more thing...I know that there are a lot of people now a days that just can't find work. Most reputable and conservative employers now screen people as well on their social networking sites. I have a few friends that post pictures of them selves on facebook looking all plastered. Then they tell me..."Man, I have applied so many times but I have never gotten any call backs"?!?! I told him...putting your self on blast on facebook holding a "bong" is not the smartest idea specially if you are looking for work.

One more thing...I know that there are a lot of people now a days that just can't find work. Most reputable and conservative employers now screen people as well on their social networking sites. I have a few friends that post pictures of them selves on facebook looking all plastered. Then they tell me..."Man, I have applied so many times but I have never gotten any call backs"?!?! I told him...putting your self on blast on facebook holding a "bong" is not the smartest idea specially if you are looking for work.

Back
Top Bottom