Questions for ATHEISTS vol. keep it funky

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in other words, "It is something man can't comprehend." One of those type answers right?

You really don't understand how frustrating getting those type of answers are. I am not mad at you for not being able to answer it man. But when you approach folks with questions and they aren't able to answer and they basically tell you to, "Believe and shutup" (basically what they are saying) it is frustrating man.

I know how my mind works. I know I have to have PROOF that something exists. I just can't buy into this man. I would love to be poppin bottles with yall in Heaven but I can't just BELIEVE when it doesn't make sense for me to believe.

Not even sure if I have it in me to believe.

Maybe when I am on my death bed or something when I have nothing to lose. (Knock on wood. If you never see me post you know what happened. Make note of this post).

I do understand how it is to get the I dont know, answer. I used to get them all the time
when i needed something that was proven and is logical. I hated the word FAITH, and
now thats the most important thing in my life. Call it brain power or whatever, but
its something developed, based on decision. ...I dont believe we as humans will ever know
everythings, so I put my faith in something I believd greater....but this post is bout you guys not
me, so back to the regular scheduled program

I do understand how it is to get the I dont know, answer. I used to get them all the time
when i needed something that was proven and is logical. I hated the word FAITH, and
now thats the most important thing in my life. Call it brain power or whatever, but
its something developed, based on decision. ...I dont believe we as humans will ever know
everythings, so I put my faith in something I believd greater....but this post is bout you guys not
If faith is one of the most important factors in what determines your beliefs, how do you differentiate between Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, etc.?

Not looking to rustle jimmies.  Just curious.

How did you end up atheist?
-I don't believe in God.
Will pass along this belief to your kids?
-It's their choice.
Do you have an authority?
-No.
Do you fear death? What are your fears?
-No.
What do you believe happens after you die?
-I decompose and become another food source for every living organism on Earth.
Do believe in life beyond earth?
-Yes, every star has the potential to create new life. Our galaxy is estimated to have roughly 200-400 billion of them. Think about it.
Do you believe in any forces in action beyond human control?
-The four fundamental forces.

So in other words, "It is something man can't comprehend." One of those type answers right?

You really don't understand how frustrating getting those type of answers are. I am not mad at you for not being able to answer it man. But when you approach folks with questions and they aren't able to answer and they basically tell you to, "Believe and shutup" (basically what they are saying) it is frustrating man.

I know how my mind works. I know I have to have PROOF that something exists. I just can't buy into this man. I would love to be poppin bottles with yall in Heaven but I can't just BELIEVE when it doesn't make sense for me to believe.

Maybe when I am on my death bed or something when I have nothing to lose. (Knock on wood. If you never see me post you know what happened. Make note of this post).
What happened to you that turned you to faith? 

I've noticed that a sudden turn to religiosity occurs shortly after something really ****** up happens to a person. It's almost always something deeply psychologically scarring either due to an emotional episode (sometimes the emotional episode is triggered by a physical episode). 

It's just a way of coping for some. Religion's greatest appeal is that it provides comfort for it's adherent in the sense of do A, B, and C and you will receive X, Y, Z.  When in reality, life is nothing of the sort. Variance plays such a large role in our world that there are no set formulas. And that's what scares many people. 

My most favorite quote is by Hugh Hendry. He said:

'God is dead, life is absurd and there are no rules".

Humans are always trying to make sense of the world because it seemingly makes no sense at all. Due to our intelligence, we believe in rationality but the world is almost never rational in anyone's lifetime (mayve over a long enough time horizon it is oddly rational). 

Look at everything around you. So many things make no ******g sense. The young die, the old live. The good are poor, the bad are wealthy. Some are born healthy while others are born sick. Someone throwing a ball into a basket gets millions while someone feeding the hungry volunteers their time. Etc, etc, etc. 

Religion attempts to provide some rationality to the world but in the end it's just more irrationality created by humans. It tries to make sense of something that does not make sense. It provides a simplistic explanation for something that is so immeasurably complex that one can only claim that it must be a farce. 

We humans are a sick species. The same genetics which makes are intelligent and concious of our own existence, also makes us behave the way that we do.  The same genetics that exhibit love, happiness, friendship, altruism, etc. also create hate, jealousy, greed, selfishness, fear, etc. 

The idea of a God is an easy way out in terms of humans not taking responsibility for controlling themselves.  What we may be afraid of in the end, is that we subconsciously realize that our species is destructive. It's easier to be bad/do wrong then to be good/do right. 

Maybe history doesn't repeat itself. It may be that the human species is built on irrationality. 

Last edited:
Some dude smoked some strong herb and turned religious

I tell him to thank the herb cause it made him stray the right way but he says that is the devil

silly fella

1.) Through education.

2.) No; If I ever have children I will encourage them to form their own beliefs/ideas

3.) No

4.) I don't fear death itself; I fear not living the most fruitful life with the time I am allotted. I fear being lonely.

5.) I don't know what happens after I do, more importantly I don't pretend to either.

6.) I do believe that is a possibilty

7.) I have yet to see any with my own eyes, but I won't dismiss the possibility of it.

If faith is one of the most important factors in what determines your beliefs, how do you differentiate between Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, etc.?

Not looking to rustle jimmies.  Just curious.
Traditions...

if believing in santa was a tradition, why did you stop?
I never believed in the Santa Claus myth. 
laugh.gif
 My parents made sure I knew that they purchased gifts for my bday (Dec. 25th). And, if I am not mistaken, "Santa Claus" is a pagan tradition. 

Anyhow, I was speaking of religious tradition (laws, doctrines, practices, etc). 

Last edited:
the thread is only light right now because OP asked a list of questions that forces people to focus on that rather than their usual bashing.

:lol: My parents or school i forget, told me about santa clause too but I always knew it was a joke.

Didn't get that same feel with God because I know where me and him stand.

And whoever posted the agnostic vs atheist nonsense needs to look a bit harder.
Regardless of the technical definitions, those that identify as agnostic instead of atheists tend to not care for mocking other cultures and religions, and avoid the 24/7 endless trolling and disrespect many atheists proudly take part in.

the thread is only light right now because OP asked a list of questions that forces people to focus on that rather than their usual bashing.

laugh.gif
My parents or school i forget, told me about santa clause too but I always knew it was a joke.

Regardless of the technical definitions, those that identify as agnostic instead of atheists tend to not care for mocking other cultures and religions, and avoid the 24/7 endless trolling and disrespect many atheists proudly take part in.
Someone's bitter about a certain group of people. 

What happened to you that turned you to faith? 

I've noticed that a sudden turn to religiosity occurs shortly after something really ****** up happens to a person. It's almost always something deeply psychologically scarring either due to an emotional episode (sometimes the emotional episode is triggered by a physical episode). 

It's just a way of coping for some. Religion's greatest appeal is that it provides comfort for it's adherent in the sense of do A, B, and C and you will receive X, Y, Z.  When in reality, life is nothing of the sort. Variance plays such a large role in our world that there are no set formulas. And that's what scares many people. 

My most favorite quote is by Hugh Hendry. He said:

'God is dead, life is absurd and there are no rules".

Humans are always trying to make sense of the world because it seemingly makes no sense at all. Due to our intelligence, we believe in rationality but the world is almost never rational in anyone's lifetime (mayve over a long enough time horizon it is oddly rational). 

Look at everything around you. So many things make no ******g sense. The young die, the old live. The good are poor, the bad are wealthy. Some are born healthy while others are born sick. Someone throwing a ball into a basket gets millions while someone feeding the hungry volunteers their time. Etc, etc, etc. 

Religion attempts to provide some rationality to the world but in the end it's just more irrationality created by humans. It tries to make sense of something that does not make sense. It provides a simplistic explanation for something that is so immeasurably complex that one can only claim that it must be a farce. 

We humans are a sick species. The same genetics which makes are intelligent and concious of our own existence, also makes us behave the way that we do.  The same genetics that exhibit love, happiness, friendship, altruism, etc. also create hate, jealousy, greed, selfishness, fear, etc. 

The idea of a God is an easy way out in terms of humans not taking responsibility for controlling themselves.  What we may be afraid of in the end, is that we subconsciously realize that our species is destructive. It's easier to be bad/do wrong then to be good/do right. 

Maybe history doesn't repeat itself. It may be that the human species is built on irrationality. 
Some would argue that godless living is the easier way out? Embrace the randomness of humanity, accept the greys of morality (right and wrong), hold ourselves to arbitrary standards..."let us eat and drink for tommorow we shall die".

Narrow is the road leading off into life, broad and spacious is the other path and whatnot.

Some would argue that godless living is the easier way out? Embrace the randomness of humanity, accept the greys of morality (right and wrong), hold ourselves to arbitrary standards..."let us eat and drink for tommorow we shall die".

Narrow is the road leading off into life, broad and spacious is the other path and whatnot.
You're also embracing a finite existence and nothing spiritual to fall back on for comfort and support during hard times, but at the end of the day I don't think a pissing contest over which path is "the easy way out" is a particularly fruitful conversation.  No definite answers to that conundrum. 

a lot of salt on that pop tart

and sumrndmdude lmao...ive seen you post on a lot of religion threads but i still have no clue which side youre on lol. i dont understand yo **** ever.
I'm just a dude man....

I think my posts reveal what side I'm on. If you pay attention to them. Which you don't have to obvioulsy. 

I prefer to hash things out and see what other people believe and why...as opposed to "we'd point out the illogical nonsense and/or laugh at some of the absurdness of it all"

Last edited:

:lol: My parents or school i forget, told me about santa clause too but I always knew it was a joke.

That has nothing to do with the definition of the words though. You can go ahead and assume most atheists do that and most agnostics don't but it's not correct in the slightest. It's just your bias opinion.

As far as this thread, well yeah, it has specific questions and ppl respond accordingly. Mind you this is an atheist thread not a religious one. If the OP asked atheists what they think of this belief or this verse in w/e book religious ppl claim are the truth we'd point out the illogical nonsense and/or laugh at some of the absurdness of it all which I guess what you call bashing/trolling/disrespect i.e calling it like it is. FTR, I can't respect or tolerate the intolerant or those who ignorantly believe in intolerant things.
a lot of salt on that pop tart

and sumrndmdude lmao...ive seen you post on a lot of religion threads but i still have no clue which side youre on lol. i dont understand yo **** ever.
:lol: One reason I don't take dude all that serious anymore is cuz in one thread he pretty much outright said he plays devil's advocate in hot topic threads like these for w/e reason. Comes off more like worthless arguing just to argue than fruitful discussion as someone else alluded to.

Last edited:
I'm agnostic but I ended up in this general category because I started thinking about the context in which the bible was written as well as just analyzing the stories I've read and some of the teachings. I concluded that the book while having some very good things in it is also filled with many outdated ideologies.

Atheism isn't a belief. It is in fact the lack of it. So no, I will not be indoctrinating my children into any religious groups. I'd take them to church for certain holidays out of tradition (my agnosticism doesn't stop me from church when i feel like or attending service for holidays that are affiliated with Christianity).

The laws of what ever polity I am in.
My personal code of ethics (admittedly with many ideas stemming from my Christian upbringing but it still works because it doesn't take religion to come to those same conclusions).

Yes. As far as personal goals go, I'd like to make an impact on this planet and up in the history books.
Other than that I don't care. When I die I die. I'm not so much scared but curious.

It's like deleting a file off a computer. Your presence is no long there and the system (i.e the world) keeps moving.
Your soul does not go anywhere.

Nope. Insubstantial evidence. If God is real and is proven I will accept it and whatever fate he chooses for me though I doubt it will ever happen.

Yes. Nature works in mysterious ways. We may never discover all it's secrets.

:lol:

Sounds like an Ask Anton type of question.

I take no offense cuz I can't say I relate with or have ever come across those kinds of atheists. Keep in mind the title isn't some all encompassing stance. People can be atheists and turn around and be satanists or w/e else out there like Cthulhu worshipers.

Before anything I have no hate for any atheists or any religion period... I myself am a christian if you guys are wondering and saved ( Praying God gets me back on my feet though)

Anyways... the majority of atheists in my high school were always depressed looking like no emotion... idk how to explain it much but its like they have no emotion... always down looking... and if they are laughing or smiling its with a group of others in the same category... idk its just something I noticed in high school...

Now my question is I know a few atheists that do not believe in God whatsoever but always seem to represent satan whether it be having 666 on their twitter or other demonic drawings on their bag etc... anybody know why is that? Always a question that I couldn't get answered or cleared up with

I really do not mean to affend anyone its just some thoughts I always had and would like some sort of answer if thats cool

Satanism symbolically represents the "left-handed path" and viewing yourself as a God. Satan rebelled against a tyrant and essentially made himself the God of his own domain. Not all Atheists embrace this symbol.

You are stereotyping Atheists, I highly doubt you know that many. Emos are NOT atheists. :lol:

This is what most atheists look like

View media item 234242
View media item 234243
View media item 234244
View media item 234247
View media item 234249
View media item 234251
View media item 234253
View media item 234254
Chomsky :smokin

View media item 234255

Last edited:
How did you end up atheist? Common Sense. Also the fact that some attribute all things to god is BS to me. "It must have been God's will" that type of stuff angers me because it almost absolves you of having consequences of your actions, and when you succeed it downgrades how hard you worked for something.. Nothing to me is God's plan. Many things happen by coincidence. Even then coincidence is controlled by your actions. Bumping into a woman that you fall in love with and marry down the line is coincide.. But had you left your house 2 minutes later, or 2 minutes earlier your life would have not been altered so dramatically in that moment... Your actions determine most of the good or bad in life. Also researching made a huge impact on me. When you find out history of religions, and Christianity in particular. You find that they are not words of god, but the writing of values, and in many cases by imperfect men who had an agenda against something.

Will you pass along this belief to your kids? No. It's their path, they must decide, but when they are old enough they better be able to stand up for what they believe in, and challenges to it

Do you have an authority? Parents. Laws. And what I feel is right/wrong.

Death is my biggest fear. I fear not having an impact on someone's life. Dying Alone.

Like sleeping, but you never wake up, just fades to black.

I truly hope there is. I honestly do. But I don't think there is. The hope of seeing my grandfather again is one of the only things I wish to have. And I don't think believing in a God really makes a difference into I get in if there is one. As long as I live a just life. Hope of something, and belief of something are two different things to me.

If you mean like an all powerful being that controls everything? No. Are there forces beyond human control? Yes.

Last edited:
Ray Romano is an atheist? :wow: Did not know that :smokin

It'd be entertaining to hear him go on a monologue about his views on religion with his voice. I wonder why he never included that in his stand-up.

Serious Question:

When someone sneezes, do you say "Bless You"?

from webby d.-

Definition of BLESS

: to hallow or consecrate by religious rite or word
: to hallow with the sign of the cross
: to invoke divine care for —used in the phrase bless you to wish good health especially to one who has just sneezed

I say bless you to those I know are religious. Like my parents, or a few good friends, acquaintances, etc. it means nothing to me, but to them it apparently means a lot.

I say bless you to those I know are religious. Like my parents, or a few good friends, acquaintances, etc. it means nothing to me, but to them it apparently means a lot.

thats kinda like me and christmas i dont celebrate it but when ppl tell me mery christmas, i say it back outta respect. ( i dont want to though, but its faster than tellin them a story of why i dont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom