********2010 NFL DRAFT TALK********

Originally Published: January 14, 2010

[h2]Mel Kiper's latest 2010 Big Board[/h2]

Comment Email Print >http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-i... st_page="home">Share </div><cite class= By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN.com
Archive

The first mock draft will be on Wednesday, and for this week, there was some final shuffling. Earl Thomas from the Texas Longhorns went from off the Board last week to No. 11, and Bryan Bulaga of the Iowa Hawkeyes (along with Trent Williams of the Oklahoma Sooners) jumped on to the Board as OL at No. 20 (Bulaga) and No. 22 (Williams). The top five-- Suh, McCoy, Berry, Clausen and Bradford -- remained the same from last week.

board_bar.png

1.jpg

Ndamukong Suh

DT

6-4

158.gif

Analysis: Explosive, relentless and consistent. Last week: No. 1

2.jpg

Gerald McCoy

DT

6-4

201.gif

Analysis: Disruptive force. Productive NFL career ahead. Last week: No. 2

3.jpg

Eric Berry

DB

5-11

2633.gif

Analysis: Ultimate playmaker, in the Ed Reed mold. Last week: No. 3

4.jpg

Jimmy Clausen

QB

6-3

87.gif

Analysis: Improved through adversity, has under-center experience. Last week: No. 4

5.jpg

Sam Bradford

QB

6-4

201.gif

Analysis: Has underrated arm, great feel for position, is super-accurate. Last week: No. 5

6.jpg

Joe Haden

CB

5-11

57.gif

Analysis: Polished cover corner with tackling ability to match. Last week: No. 6

7.jpg

Russell Okung

OT

6-5

197.gif

Analysis: Athletic, strong and fiery blindside pass-protector. Last week: No. 7

8.jpg

Derrick Morgan

DE

6-4

59.gif

Analysis: Solid pass-rusher but stout versus run. Very productive. Last week: No. 8

9.jpg

Dez Bryant

WR

6-2

197.gif

Analysis: Dynamic WR and returner. Draft's best downfield threat. Last week: No. 9

10.jpg

Rolando McClain

LB

6-4

333.gif

Analysis: Fiery, vocal team leader with top instincts for position. Last week: No. 10

11.jpg

Earl Thomas

S

5-10

251.gif

Analysis: Athletic safety with cover skills, can contribute immediately. Last week: NR

12.jpg

Jason Pierre-Paul

DE

6-5

58.gif

Analysis: Explosive, natural pass-rusher; raw, but physically gifted. Last week: No. 11

13.jpg

Brian Price

DT

6-2

26.gif

Analysis: Powerful leverage guy who wreaks havoc along line. Last week: No. 12

14.jpg

C.J. Spiller

RB

5-11

228.gif

Analysis: Multitalented, super-fast, electrifying game-breaker. Good hands. Last week: No. 13

15.jpg

Carlos Dunlap

DE

6-6

57.gif

Analysis: Physical tools are off the charts. Has unlimited upside. Last week: No. 14

16.jpg

Aaron Hernandez

TE

6-2

57.gif

Analysis: Great hands and excellent run-after-catch skills for a TE. Last week: No. 15

17.jpg

Everson Griffen

DE

6-3

30.gif

Analysis: Supremely talented pass-rusher; gained consistency this year. Last week: No. 16

18.jpg

Anthony Davis

OT

6-6

164.gif

Analysis: Gifted physically, quick feet and still improving. Last week: 18

19.jpg

Dan Williams

DT

6-3

2633.gif

Analysis: High motor, consistent, tremendously powerful lower body. Last week: No. 17

20.jpg

Bryan Bulaga

OL

6-6

2294.gif

Analysis: His leverage is incredible; one of his biggest assets. Last week: NR

21.jpg

Taylor Mays

S

6-3

30.gif

Analysis: Stunning physical skills, but struggled on young team. Last week: No. 19

22.jpg

Trent Williams

OL

6-5

201.gif

Analysis: Long and strong. Back on Board after a long hiatus. Last week: NR

23.jpg

Brandon Graham

DE

6-2

130.gif

Analysis: Awesome athlete; force off the edge, led nation in TFL. Last week: No. 20

24.jpg

Sergio Kindle

LB

6-4

251.gif

Analysis: Improved all year; prototype 3-4 OLB in NFL. Last week: No. 21

25.jpg

Jermaine Gresham

TE

6-6

201.gif

Analysis: Great talent but missed season. Workouts will be big. Last week: No. 22

eek.gif
laugh.gif
Jake the snake Locker thinking of changing his mind

The Clock Is Ticking On Locker
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 6:22 p.m.
766999.jpg
Comments | Top
greyline.png

[h5]
Jake Locker | Washington[/h5]

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5940
770637.jpg
With the January 15th deadline approaching tomorrow for underclassmen to declare for the NFL Draft, the landscape for the spring spectacle is starting to form. But there's still one player I'm watching; even though he said he's staying at Washington for his senior year, Jake Locker has an opportunity to bypass Oklahoma's Sam Bradford (shoulder surgery) and Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen (toe surgery), as the No. 1 quarterback and potentially become the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 draft.

It was just a month ago when Locker announced his decision to stay in school for his senior year, and just last week he spoke at length about his decision to remain at Washington. But something doesn't seem right. It's nothing that Locker said last week that makes me believe he may be wavering on his decision, because he was truthful and honest in his explanation to return to school. But after reading his transcript from last week and making a few calls, I've learned from two sources that Locker may not be 100-percent certain about his decision.

Two weeks ago, I made some calls to a few of my sources and asked around about Locker and his decision to stay in school. Locker had made his announcement prior to Christmas and usually the holiday season is when you're around family and have some downtime to think. So, since there was no follow up reported on his decision, I decided to ask around. The word I received two weeks ago was that he's 100-percent satisfied with his decision and that he will return to Washington for his senior year. And last week, he finally spoke to the media at length and came across 100-percent sure of his decision.

However, on Tuesday, I received a call from one of my sources and he said, "Don't be surprised if Locker pulls a 180 and decides to enter the draft." When he uttered those words, the immediate response I had was, "Because of Pete Carroll?" You got it.

The arrival of Carroll in Seattle has a chance to be great, but it all starts with Carroll identifying the Seahawks next franchise quarterback. As I reported last weekend, the hiring of Carroll may signal a trade between Arizona and Seattle that will involve former USC standout Matt Leinart. If a trade is worked out between the two teams, Leinart will end up with Carroll; the man he achieved great success under. But it doesn't rule out the possibility of the Seahawks drafting a younger quarterback that still needs time to develop. The Seahawks have two first round picks this year and drafting Locker would not only satisfy the need for a franchise quarterback, but also keep a local-product at home.

Locker has to be intrigued by the possibility of being drafted by the Seahawks. There are a lot of positives with the Seahawks that favor Locker, besides the fact that he will be able to play in front of his family and friends on a consistent basis. Locker's head coach at Washington is Steve Sarkisian, who spent four years under Carroll at USC as quarterbacks coach (2001 - 2003; 2005 - 2006) and offensive coordinator (2007 - 2008). Carroll has had great success with quarterbacks at the collegiate level using the offense that Sarkisian ran this past year with Washington; an offense that allowed Locker to generate career highs in completion percentage (58.2), passing yards (2,800) and touchdown passes (21), as well as a career low 11 interceptions.

As the deadline approaches, I'm reminded of these words Locker said last week, "I want to make a decision that I'm not going to regret 30 years from now. I want to make a decision that I'm going to be able to live with because it's a big decision. If you make the wrong one, it will really wear on you."

I always encourage student athletes to stay in school, not only to improve their craft in an athletic endeavor, but to receive their diploma from the university they attend. But in Locker's case, this is a special circumstance where in a year - not 30 years - from now, he will regret not taking advantage of it. Locker said last week that he didn't care about the money and that money wouldn't drive him to the NFL. But there's an opportunity for him to end up in a situation with Carroll and the Seahawks that's just as comfortable as the situation he's had with Sarkisian and the Huskies.
The clock's ticking Jake, don't waste this opportunity.

^^ Nice article. When you put it like that, it sounds like a good ideas IMO

Originally Posted by youngmoney

jahvid best to GB...i like it
Spiller is my first choice, but explosiveness would come with either guy... Would be a nice change with Grant getting carries between the tackles.

Wonder if wed deal Brandon Jackson or if wed keep him there and stay deep at the position...

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by youngmoney

jahvid best to GB...i like it
Spiller is my first choice, but explosiveness would come with either guy... Would be a nice change with Grant getting carries between the tackles.

Wonder if wed deal Brandon Jackson or if wed keep him there and stay deep at the position...

without a doubt Spiller is my first choice but i figure he'd be gone by 23...maybe we go with Dwyer out of GT

i really dont see our Offense being stopped with Rodgers, Driver, Jennings, Finley, Spiller/Best/Grant....shoot even james jones and jordy nelson

ted thompson needs to go pick up a decent OT and a average CB....draft a RB in the 1st...than just draft all Defense from there on out...just more people tothrow into our 3-4...

after watching Minnesota you can never have to many pass rushers

I wish Ted was as good evaluating RB's as he is with WR's.... Hes picked a lot of good mid round WR's over the years but Brandon Jackson reallyhasnt developed like we need him too... I like him coming in and being used in the Screen/passing game though.

If a OT/OG is anything close to BPA at the time of the 23rd pick then I think we have to pull the trigger.

No need really to pay an RB other than Spiller 1st round money this year IMO... Shonn Green was like the 6th RB taken, you can find really good rushers in themid rounds...

That mock draft posted on the previous page just made me throw up in my mouth.

Thats Kipers big board, not a mock draft
laugh.gif

I think, if I had to guess right now, I'd say the best shot for Tim Tebow on draft day is San Francisco, at number 13. No proof. No solid evidence. Just this: The Niners gave a tepid endorsement to Alex Smith as their quarterback of 2010 after the season; and Mike Singletary didn't draft him; and Singletary is going to fall in love with Tebow once he meets him after the season; and Tebow is the kind of winner that Singletary has preached he wants since he took the job from Mike Nolan in mid-2008. After Singletary meets Tebow at the Scouting Combine, this is my prediction of his reaction: He'll turn to GM Scot McCloughan and say, "That's my guy. We've got to have him.''

Link

yea true...im actually gonna change my sig to Bryan Bulaga to GB Campaign..lol

joe mcknight will prolly be available in 2nd or 3rd...im liking that dude

and i see what you're saying bout paying the dude 1st round money but arnt we under the cap by a good amount. Ever since we lost to AZ ive been watchingspiller and best highlights just thinking about our offense next year...

and Ted did trade up to get clay last year...maybe he is starting to be more aggresive...whats next..maybe 2 free agent signings this year. im watering at mymouth...lol

either way...OT, RB, or 3-4 peeps... im liking our team

Not sure how well he can shed blocks, but Tebow might not be a bad pickup for Singletary. I'm sure he has a good eye for defensive talent.

Tebow and P. Willis could be special w/ Manny Lawson
pimp.gif

Me too... Daniel Manning from the bears would be a GREAT FA pickup... He can fill in at S and CB and hes one of the best KR's in the league.

Cant wait for FA and the Draft to come around
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Dre
laugh.gif

What??? you dont like jordy nelson on KR duty...dude is so fast its hard to keep my eye on him...lol

can we get an updated order as of yesterday's results?

EDIT: as of previous weekend's results

[h3]2010 NFL draft order[/h3]
January, 12, 2010
Jan 12

4:38

PM ET

Email Print Share

By ESPN.com staff

[h4]2010 NFL Draft[/h4]
The chart shows projected NFL draft order for the first 24 choices, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The Bears, Broncos and Panthers traded away first-round choices.
[table][tr][th=""]Pick[/th] [th=""]Slotted team[/th] [th=""]Record[/th] [th=""]Note[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]Rams[/td] [td]1-15[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]Lions[/td] [td]2-14[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]Bucs[/td] [td]3-13[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]********[/td] [td]4-12[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]Chiefs[/td] [td]4-12[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]Seahawks[/td] [td]5-11[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]Browns[/td] [td]5-11[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]Raiders[/td] [td]5-11[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [td]Bills[/td] [td]6-10[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td]Bears or Jaguars[/td] [td]7-9[/td] [td]Broncos acquired Bears' pick[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]Bears or Jaguars[/td] [td]7-9[/td] [td]Broncos acquired Bears' pick[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td]Dolphins[/td] [td]7-9[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]49ers[/td] [td]8-8[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [td]Broncos[/td] [td]8-8[/td] [td]Seahawks acquired Broncos' pick[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [td]Giants[/td] [td]8-8[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [td]Panthers or Titans[/td] [td]8-8[/td] [td]49ers acquired Panthers' pick[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [td]Panthers or Titans[/td] [td]8-8[/td] [td]49ers acquired Panthers' pick[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [td]Steelers[/td] [td]9-7[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [td]Falcons or Texans[/td] [td]9-7[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [td]Falcons or Texans[/td] [td]9-7[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [td]Bengals[/td] [td]10-6[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [td]Patriots[/td] [td]10-6[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]23[/td] [td]Packers[/td] [td]11-5[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]24[/td] [td]Eagles[/td] [td]11-5[/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Note: Coin flips will decide which NFL teams pick 10th, 16th and 19th.[/td] [/tr][/table]

Jordy "White Moves" Nelson should just concentrate on playing WR as far as im concerned
laugh.gif

His returns are
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
smh.gif

Speaking of which, I returned 2 to the house with him on madden the other day against my friend
laugh.gif

Scouts Inc. will be in Orlando this week taking in practices before the East-West Shrine Game (Saturday, 3 p.m. ET, ESPN2), and here is a deeper look at someof the players we mentioned in our full Shrine Game preview:
• The most intriguing player to me is West Virginia QB Jarrett Brown, whose overall physical skill set is one of the bestin this year's quarterback class. Brown has good size (6-foot-2½, 218 pounds), a cannon for an arm and one of the best releases I've seen in a longtime.

He has a smooth, over-the top motion, and the ball gets out of his hand quickly when he flicks his wrist. All the physical tools are there, but this weekBrown will have to prove he can develop from a mental standpoint. Scouts want to know whether Brown can function under center after running West Virginia'sspread scheme. They will have a keen eye on his drops and footwork, and he has to show he can handle the progressions in a pro-style offense.

Brown's biggest flaws are his lack of awareness against the blitz and his inability to see the entire field, and he must prove to NFL talent evaluatorsthat he is not a product of the Mountaineers' scheme and that he can be more than an occasional Wildcat quarterback and is not a candidate to switch towide receiver.

• Virginia Tech S Kam Chancellor is a big body who isgood in run support and will knock ball carriers around. He takes good angles to the ball and has plenty of range against the run, but film shows that hestruggles to hold up in coverage. He needs a good showing in drills to convince NFL teams that he is more than a one-dimensional run-stopper.

Chancellor lacks fluidity in the hips and struggles to change direction, and there are questions about his top-end speed. He must show in one-on-one andseven-on-seven drills that he can hold his own and limit separation in underneath zone and play the deep half.

He will never be able to hold up in man coverage at the next level, and if Chancellor fails to show he can play well in zone, he has the frame to put onsome weight and move to linebacker.

• Utah OT Zane Beadles has brute strength and a solidbase, and combined with an explosive, heavy-handed punch, that makes him a very effective inline blocker. However, scouts question whether he has theathleticism and foot quickness to remain at tackle in the NFL.

Beadles will face a good test this week, and if he shows the ability to seal the edge in the running game and the lateral movement to deal with double movesfrom quicker edge rushers, he will help his stock. Tackles are far more valuable in the draft than guards, and Beadles has to show well in one-one-one drillsto maintain his fourth-round standing.

• Toledo S Barry Church and Oregon S T.J. Ward are flying under the radar coming into Shrine week, butboth have a chance to make a name for themselves among scouts. Both are physical and instinctive and thrive near the box but must also answer questions abouttheir abilities in coverage.

Church started every game during his career and was a four-time All-MAC selection who displays excellent football intelligence and does not often bite onplay-action. He takes good angles to the point in run support and is a solid wrap-up tackler. However, he has to prove this week that he has the speed andchange-of-direction skills to line up over the slot and match up with tight ends. If he shows the ability to do that and to hold the point in three-deepcoverage, Church could move up out of the fourth- or fifth-round range.

Ward has a bit more range and is a lights-out hitter who is instinctive, takes good angles and gets into good position. However, he is overaggressive attimes and is susceptible to being sucked in on play-action. He is a physical player, though, and if he shows improved coverage skills, he could get into thefourth- or fifth-round range.
[h3]Around the nation[/h3]
• As expected, Stanford RB Toby Gerhart (Scouts Inc.-rated No.85) made official his intention to enter the NFL draft. The San Jose Mercury News reports:
"While I certainly will miss patrolling left field on the Sunken Diamond or running through the gaping holes created by my O-linemen on the gridiron at Stanford Stadium," Gerhart said, "I will forever cherish the camaraderie, friendships, and memories that I forged here at Stanford with all my friends, teammates, and coaches."

• Alabama CB Javier Arenas (No. 53) sounds ready for the nextlevel. Arenas told the Mobile Press-Register that he'sprepared to work:
Asked about his plans for the time before April's NFL draft, Arenas said his outlook is "The same as it's been since I graduated from high school -- going out to work hard and earn something."

"College was a taste of the real world," Arenas said. "Now I'm about to get the whole dish. I want to equip myself with the right necessities in order to prevail."

• After being ruled ineligible for violating an NCAA bylaw, Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant (No. 10) told the Tampa Tribune that he thinks he can make an impact in the NFL:
"I just feel like I have things to prove," said Bryant, who caught 87 passes for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2008. "I have to let everybody know I still have it."

Questions abound on that topic because Bryant has not played competitively since he caught nine passes for 161 yards and two touchdowns in a win over Rice last Sept. 19.

• Though the Senior Bowl is still a couple of weeks away, those who have been invited to play -- such as Georgia DT Geno Atkins (No. 81) -- know the bowl is one last chance to show theirskills in a game setting.
"I'm real excited that I get to play against the best of the best in the senior class," Atkins told the Mobile Press-Register. "I want to show all thescouts how fundamentally sound I am and how well I can get off blocks."

Originally Posted by Statis22

• Toledo S Barry Church and Oregon S T.J. Ward are flying under the radar coming into Shrine week, but both have a chance to make a name for themselves among scouts. Both are physical and instinctive and thrive near the box but must also answer questions about their abilities in coverage.

My son.
pimp.gif

I'm ecstatic as hell if I'm a Niners fan and get Tebow. People really devalue that "winner" mantra that describes few players. Vince Youngwas one of those guys, and he's yet to be proven wrong. Tebow will have a great NFL career.

I didn't even know TJ was a Sr.

I can't wait to hear that he knocked somebody out of the Shrine Bowl practices.

Back
Top Bottom