********2010 NFL DRAFT TALK********

I thought Henne played really well especially for a 1st year starter with no real weapons just a handful of decent receivers. We do need to build our D. theywere hard to watch towards the end of the season when it counted most.

Four DEs could be first-round selections

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 | PrintEntry

Posted by Todd McShay
My colleague Kevin Weidl wrote on Monday about the strength of the defensive tackle class, saying it is perhaps the topposition in the 2010 draft. As the deadline for underclassmen to enter the draft approaches, however, the defensive ends are closing the gap.
In recent weeks we've seen four underclass defensive ends declare who could be first-round picks in April, including big names with complete games andothers with a lot of talent but room to improve.

[+] Enlarge

Rick Dole/Getty Images

Carlos Dunlap has all the makings of a first-rounder despite off-the-field issues.
Georgia Tech's Derrick Morgan is the most completeprospect of the group, a player with speed off the edge and the size and strength to hold the edge against the run who could be a top-10 pick. Florida'sCarlos Dunlap comes with some red flags because of a recentDUI arrest and questions about his work ethic and maturity, but he is a physical specimen at 6-foot-5¾ and 293 pounds.
Jason Pierre-Paul of South Florida is next on the list,and while he is still a bit raw after playing only one year at the FBS level he was very productive this season and flashes impressive pass rushing skills.Finally there's Everson Griffen of USC, who needs topolish his technique and recognition skills but is a stout 6-3, 272-pounder who can rush the passer and hold his ground at the point of attack against therun.

There is also an interesting pair of underclass ends in the class who project as outside linebackers in 3-4 schemes. Virginia Tech's Jason Worilds and Ohio State's Thaddeus Gibson are effective pass rushers but lack the size to play as traditional 4-3ends, so look for them to become rush linebackers at the next level.

Keep in mind that the underclassmen above supplement a senior class that includes players like Texas' Sergio Kindle, Clemson's Ricky Sapp, Mississippi's Greg Hardy and Michigan's Brandon Graham, all of whom should be off the board by the end ofthe second round.

That makes 10 ends/outside linebackers who could be first or second-rounders in addition to eight defensive tackles with first or second-round grades,meaning we could see more than a quarter of the picks in the first two rounds come from the defensive line group. That's impressive.

• The more we evaluate the underclass entries the more interesting the wide receiver class becomes. Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant is the superstar of thegroup and there is clearly a drop-off after him, one so steep that you an argument could be made that no other receiver belongs in the first round. However,there is good depth in the second- and third-round areas and that group includes something for everyone.

The best values look to be former Syracuse wideout MikeWilliams and Dezmon Briscoe of Kansas, both of whomcould still be on the board in the third round. Williams comes with plenty of baggage after dealing with academic issues and, most alarmingly, quitting theteam this past season. After watching the tape, though, we think he might be the second-most talented player in the class. A team with a strong wide receiverscoach and plenty of locker room leadership could find itself a difference maker if it can keep Williams focused and channel his energy into football.

As for Briscoe, he's not going to win any tough guy awards with his tendency to develop alligator arms when he sees hits coming. He is much morecomfortable on the perimeter, and because he is a smooth athlete with good size (6-2½, 205) he could become a very good No. 2 receiver who can stretch thefield and make plays after the catch.

• We've also been impressed with a pair of junior cornerbacks out of the Big Ten, which was a bit of a surprise considering the league has been beatenup recently for its lack of skilled athletes.

Michigan's Donovan Warren surprised us when he cameout but after film evaluation we're a little higher on him than before. Michigan played a lot of off coverage and Warren gave receivers plenty of cushion,but we like what we see in terms reading the quarterback and explosion when breaking on the ball. He also shows adequate speed when turning and running and heis a physical player who makes hits after the catch and is tough in run support.

We still think Warren should have gone back to school to develop his technique -- he is high in his backpedal and struggles to change direction when comingout of his pedal -- but he has all the tools to develop into a good starter at the next level.

The question for Iowa's Amari Spievey is whether he has the top-end speed tostick with faster wideouts down the field, but as far as instincts, tackling, run support and short-area quickness are concerned Spievey looks like a playerwho could contribute early. At worst he should become a very good nickel corner and in the right system he could become a solid starter down the road.

Neither Spievey or Warren looks like a first-rounder at this point, but if we were drafting for a team with needs at corner we would have a hard timepassing on either player in the mid-to-late second round.
[h3]Around the Nation[/h3]
• Nebraska DE Ndamukong Suh (Scouts Inc.-rated No. 2) is acertain top-five pick but isn't taking anything for granted. The future comes first, Suh told the Omaha World-News.

"It's been business ever since after the bowl game for me," said Suh when asked if it turns to all business after the Outland Trophy banqueton Thursday night. "It's really been conducted that way. That's just the way it's kind of been since I left the field and got home.

"Things take priority over certain things. I don't want to miss something, but in some aspects I have to. I have to get my training in."

• With the threat of labor unrest in 2011 and the possibility of injury as a senior, LSU S Chad Jones will enter the NFL Draft.

"No one knows what the future is with the NFL's collective bargaining agreement," Jones' father, Al Jones, told the Shreveport Times. "Everything is uncertain. Based onthe people we've talked to, 2011 is not going to be a smooth year.

"Plus there's the possibility of injury. Look at Colt McCoy. And Chad is ready to do it. I told him the best time to do somethingis when you want to do it."
• According to a list published by The Sporting News on Tuesday, 55 ofScouts Inc.'s top 100 players have been invited to the NFL Combine in Indianapolis in February. The Sporting News reports some underclassmen and moreseniors could still be invited. The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft is Friday, Jan. 15.

2010 features plenty of mid-round sleepers

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 | PrintEntry

Posted by Steve Muench
Last year we gave BYU WR Austin Collie afourth-round grade and Indianapolis took him with the 27th pick in that round. Collie went on to tie Minnesota Vikings first-round pick and eventual NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Percy Harvin for most catches by a rookie (60) and had one more touchdown catch than Harvin(seven to six). So why did such a productive player remain on the board so long?
[+] Enlarge

AP Photo/Michael Conroy

Austin Collie was a fourth-round pick but performed like a first-rounder in 2009.
First of all, Harvin is far more explosive and has much more upside than Collie. Secondly, a pedestrian 40-yard-dash time (4.59 seconds) and his age (23on draft day) hurt Collie's stock. And Harvin also has the advantage of being a dangerous kickoff return man.
Collie landed with the right organization, and his work ethic, crisp routes and quick grasp of the offense allowed him to step in after WR Anthony Gonzalez was injured and become an immediate contributor.

Now that our preseason film study has commenced we are getting a good look at mid-round prospects who could have similar success as rookies in 2010, and twoin particular jumped out when we took another look at the Miami-Virginia Tech game from this past season.

Virginia Tech DE/OLB Jason Worilds -- The concerns with Worildsare two fold. First and foremost, he is a durability risk due to chronic shoulder problems, though he has shown a willingness to play through pain. The secondissue is that Worilds will likely have to move to outside linebacker in the NFL.

Worilds is listed at 262 pounds on the Virginia Tech roster but appears much lighter on film. He fights hard to hold his ground and set the edge when teamsrun at him, but he gets engulfed by bigger offensive tackles and struggles to do so.

On the other hand, the Miami film has convinced me Worilds can make the transition to the outside. He dropped into coverage frequently against theHurricanes, showing above-average agility and quickness in the process. There's also a lot to like about his ability to rush the passer. Worilds can beattackles with power, speed or lateral mobility, and he is truly relentless.

He has a third-round grade at this point, and Worilds would be a nice value in that area for a team that runs a 3-4 defense and is looking to add depth atoutside linebacker.

Miami TE Jimmy Graham -- Graham is oneof the most intriguing prospects in the 2010 draft. Prior to suiting up for the Hurricanes this season he had not played football since the ninth grade, and hecame to Miami on a basketball scholarship.

That inexperience definitely showed at times. He rounded off too many routes, dropped a pass he should have caught and showed sloppy footwork as a blockerduring the Virginia Tech game. However, Graham has all kinds of upside, starting with his 6-foot-8, 280-pound frame.

As his footwork improves, his size will allow Graham to engulf defensive ends in the running game, and he has the big hands to eventually emerge as areliable possession receiver. Graham has been invited to the Senior Bowl and I'm interested to see how he responds to the intensity of the coaching duringthe practice week. Chances are he'll react well and continue to make strides because he's is a smart guy who has already graduated with a double majorin Marketing and Management.

Graham grades out in the fourth round right now, and if he lands with a team willing to develop his blocking and hands, he could become one of the steals ofthis year's draft.
[h3]Around the Nation[/h3]
• In an interview with the Tulsa World onWednesday, Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford (Scouts Inc.-rated No. 11)said he made the right decision by staying in school.

"There's no doubt I made the right decision," Bradford told the World. "I mean, people can doubt me and people can question me and say Imade the wrong decision, but no one was sitting in my shoes last year. No one had all the information that I had last year. No one knew my emotions, how I feltlast year. So no one could make that decision for me except for me.

"I know I made the right decision and some people might not agree with it, but it wasn't their decision. It was my decision."

• If Ohio State S Kurt Coleman (No. 96) is asked to playcornerback in the NFL, he believes he's versatile enough to do it. The Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports:
"Coleman said he thinks he'll make an easy transition, believing that the coverage he played in Ohio State's nickel defense was as difficult as anything he'd face as a cornerback.
"'I want to prove to everyone I have the size and speed to play corner and I have the size and speed to play safety,' said Coleman, a 5-11, 195-pounder who was a first-team All-Big Ten selection. 'I feel I can do it all.'"

• One of the lesser-known players in the Top 100, Indiana University of Pennsylvania's Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, has been invited to the NFL combine. Recentshoulder surgery will limit his participation, however. The Indiana (Pa.) Gazette reports:
"Owusu-Ansah has gained a lot of attention not just for his size and speed at cornerback, but for his special teams heroics. He scored nine touchdowns in his career on returns, including four on punts and three on kickoffs, making him an attractive prospect for NFL teams.
"'Nobody can argue about his height, nobody can argue about his weight, nobody can argue about his speed,' IUP head coach Lou Tepper said. 'Then he has that body of work in special teams that makes him intriguing. But he can be more than that.'"

that 4 year, $6 subscription or whatever it was is worth it for insider.

I'll say this... the steal of the draft/steal of free agency... whichever team gets Keiland Williams out of LSU. Miles never let him get any PT, but he waseasily the best back for the last few years.

He's in the mold of a De'angelo Williams/Pierre Thomas.

I_Quit_Male.jpg

Pierre Thomas and Deangleo Williams?

Really?

Since when is Pierre Thomas in the same stratosphere as Deangelo ?

To the Packers fans...I've seen mocks with Sergio Kindle in the 20's.
What are your thoughts on getting him even though we have Brad Jones. I'm all for a speedy running back like Best, but having Kindle and Mathews coming off the edge would be niceee.
Maybe we could trade up, or get a speedy back in the later rounds like Mcluster or whatever is name is out of Ole Miss. Just to have some speed next to Grant. Im sure we could find decent O-line in the mid rounds, although i think CB is a bigger issue then that now.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

the Bengals just took Chase Kaufman in the 2nd round last yr didnt they? why go back to TE in the 1st round one yr later

he was injured  rite ?

They picked up Coffman in the 3rd round. He had a foot injury this year, and concerns with his blocking ability. I'd rather have Gresham than Hernandez if he comes back healthy though.

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

What are your thoughts on getting him even though we have Brad Jones. I'm all for a speedy running back like Best, but having Kindle and Mathews coming off the edge would be niceee.
Maybe we could trade up, or get a speedy back in the later rounds like Mcluster or whatever is name is out of Ole Miss. Just to have some speed next to Grant. Im sure we could find decent O-line in the mid rounds, although i think CB is a bigger issue then that now.
Bro cmon, I rarely watch packers games but the few I see even I can tell they drafting a O-lineman round one.

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

Bro cmon, I rarely watch packers games but the few I see even I can tell they drafting a O-lineman round one.
Last 8 games of the year the O-Line took big strides, a few games with no sacks allowed at all. Rodgers performance was directly effected as he played out of his mind. Most mocks im seeing dont have them getting an O-Line 1st round. Alot of them having Jahvid Best, few with Spiller although i dont see him being there, and Kiper even has them getting Taylor Mays.

Ted Thompson is a G at finding hidden talent too in later rounds. Also im hearing that the Packers are looking to trade Kampan, could be for draft picks.

codyweighinjpg-c4f70056a2f75c65_medium.jpg

Terrence "Mount" Cody, the mountain in the middle of Alabama's defense this year, tipped the scales at 370 pounds during weigh-ins Monday for the Senior Bowl in Mobile -- which is not a good thing.

"It hurts," NFL network draft analyst Mike Mayock said of Cody's weigh-in. "And it a wasn't clean 370."

Cody, who was listed at 354 prior to the 2009 season and at 365 on the Senior Bowl's initial roster, is already somewhat limited in the draft by the prevalent view that he is best suited as a 3-4 nose tackle, when many NFL teams play a 4-3. Mayock said his weight and conditioning would be the top questions he'd need to answer during Senior Bowl week, which is essentially a job interview for April's NFL draft.

"How many quality snaps you get out of him is going to be directly proportionate to what kind of shape he's in," Mayock said of Cody.
tired.gif

I saw a mock draft having us taking Taylor Mays... I would actually be really happy with that pick

[h2]
[h2]Kiper's 'Grade A' Draft[/h2][h3]After his Round 1 mock, Mel assessess needs and pick options in Rounds 2 and 3[/h3]
Comment http:///sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...ng draft pick options thru Round 3&id=4845729">http://sendtofriend.espn....Round 3...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" target="_blank" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4845729#">Email Print http:///a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png)">http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png) no-repeat left top" onclick="event.returnValue=false; return false;" href="javascript:void(0);" rel=nofollow>Share
By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com
Archive

GradeADraft.jpg
Getty ImagesThe secret to a good draft is not filling a need by sacrificing value; but it works both ways.

You've already seen my first mock draft. Now it's time to take it further. Every year I hand out grades after the draft, and I even handed out draft grades this year after a full season. What gets you a good grade?

It's a combination of addressing needs and drafting for value. You can do well if you properly address a huge need with a high pick, like Detroit did by taking Matthew Stafford at first overall. But if you address a need with a really bad value pick -- like Kansas City drafting Tyson Jackson last year at No. 3 -- it hurts your grade, particularly when you have multiple needs. If you address needs and get good value, such as Green Bay with B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews Jr., you've nailed it.

So here's a primer, an early look at what could get teams an "A." I have lined up teams, their top needs, their first-round pick and then some possible second- and third-round picks. Again, these will change -- perhaps greatly -- as we get results from the Senior Bowl, the NFL combine and other workouts. Even some needs could change, but let's just say we can build from here and do it all again later. You'll see that some teams will have second- and third-round pick options overlap, as players are slotted there based on current grades. Here we go with the NFC (AFC tomorrow):

[h3]NFC East[/h3]

dal.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dalhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dalDallas Cowboys
Top needs: LT, WR, FS, LB, CB
First round (27): OT Bruce Campbell
Second-round options (59):S Chad Jones, S DeAndre McDaniel, LB Sean Lee, LB Daryl Washington, WR Mardy Gilyard
Third-round options (90): WR Jordan Shipley, LB Micah Johnson, CB Alterraun Verner, CB Trevard Lindley, S Harry Coleman
Summary: I think any Dallas fan would be happy if the team lands a talented tackle late in the first round, and Campbell could be an exceptional value when it's all said and done, because he continues to improve. I actually think Dallas can upgrade at the WR position, and Gilyard or Shipley could help in the slot. The Cowboys need a free safety, and it'll be interesting to see what they do if, somehow, Taylor Mays were to fall all the way to No. 27. I also think a fourth CB would be good and the crop is unremarkable, but there's some depth. I like Verner better than some and Lindley's been good.

nyg.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyghttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nygNew York Giants
Top needs: MLB, DL, CB, S, RT, RB
First round (15): DE Carlos Dunlap
Second-round options (46): LB Brandon Spikes, LB Jamar Chaney, S Chad Jones, S Morgan Burnett, CB Perrish Cox, CB Kyle Wilson
Third-round options (74): RB James Starks, LB Darryl Sharpton, OT Chris Scott, OT Tony Washington, CB Myron Lewis
Summary: People might question the idea of taking Dunlap, but if you have a guy capable of being taken in the top five still there at No. 15, you're getting a remarkable value. Meanwhile, people point to the Giants' secondary, but the team quietly was in the bottom half of the NFL in sacks, and nothing helps a secondary better than a pass rush. You won't want a CB at No. 15, because after Haden there's a huge drop-off, so it's better to add help at LB or in the secondary with the next two picks. I can also see the Giants tempted if a RB they have rated really high is still there in Round 3.

phi.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=phihttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=phiPhiladelphia Eagles
Top needs: FS, OLB, DE, RB, CB
First round (24): Navorro Bowman
Second-round options (55): S Reshad Jones, DE George Selvie , RB Joe McKnight, S Chad Jones
Third-round options (87): DE Willie Young, DE Brandon Lang, RB Dexter McCluster, CB Donovan Warren, CB Walter Thurmond
Summary: With no impact safety available at No. 24, Bowman makes a lot of sense both in terms of value and scheme. You could then see the Eagles go for whoever they have rated highest at safety in the next round. There's plenty of depth in this draft along the defensive line, so you can get a really good defensive end into the third and even fourth rounds. With Brian Westbrook's future in question, it'll be interesting to see if the Eagles are tempted by a player like Jahvid Best, who could be around at No. 24. They hit a home run the last time they took a playmaker out of Cal, as we all know.

was.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=washttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=wasWashington ********
Top needs: QB, OT, RB, G, DE
First round (4): Sam Bradford
Second-round options (37): OT Charles Brown, OT Selvish Capers, RB Jahvid Best
Third-round options: No third-round picks (used in the supplemental draft)
Summary: For a roster that really needs an infusion of talent and depth, you could question the quarterback pick so early, but Bradford represents a chance to get a franchise quarterback, and again, you're getting the player many had pegged as the No. 1 option for the Lions last year had he jumped. You expect Mike Shanahan to retool the offensive line, and both Brown and Capers are the athletic types Shanahan prefers.

[h3]NFC West[/h3]

ari.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=arihttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ariArizona Cardinals
Top needs: LT, DT, CB, OLB, QB
First round (26): DT http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25439Dan Williams
Second-round options (58): OT Selvish Capers, OT Tony Washington, CB Javier Arenas, CB Kareem Jackson, OLB Jerry Hughes
Third-round options (89): OT Kyle Calloway, CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB Myron Lewis, QB Daryll Clark, OLB Antonio Coleman
Summary: I like the Williams pick because you need a great guy in the middle of that 3-4, and Williams is tremendously strong and is a guy that can occupy blockers. The Cardinals would be smart to get the best value they can at tackle, particularly with the idea that this could be Matt Leinart's team, and protecting him and giving him time has to be a huge priority. You could also see them getting a great value edge rusher or a CB for a secondary that got torched in the playoffs.

sfo.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sfohttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sfoSan Francisco 49ers
Top needs: RT, G, DE, S, CB
First round (13): Trent Williams
Second-round options (49): G Mike Iupati, DE Corey Wooton, S Morgan Burnett, CB Kyle Wilson
Third-round options (79): G Jon Asamoah, CB Syd'Quan Thompson, S Major Wright, DE Hall Davis, DE D.J. Wilson, OLB Rico McCoy
Summary: Some people will consider taking a RT at No. 13 a bit of a leap in terms of value, but Williams is an outstanding player that can strengthen you immediately. If the 49ers go with a guard, Iupati is a fantastic one, and the offensive line gets a lot better overnight. From there the Niners could try to get good value in the secondary or look for a DE or even a pass-rushing OLB. I can also see San Francisco taking a later-rounds shot on a QB, but this team needs to focus on more glaring needs early on.

sea.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=seahttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=seaSeattle Seahawks
Top needs: LT, QB, DE, RB, FS
First round (6, 14): DE Derrick Morgan, RB C.J. Spiller
Second-round options (40): OT Charles Brown, OT Selvish Capers, S Chad Jones
Third-round options: No third-round picks
Summary: I think Morgan can be a help to the Seattle defense immediately as a versatile defensive end, a guy capable of getting to the quarterback, making tackles in the run game and playing every down. A lot of people expect Seattle to take a tackle or a quarterback with one of these two picks, but I can see the 'Hawks grabbing Spiller if he's there as both a great value and because their offense desperately needs a playmaker. If Clausen somehow fell ... maybe. If they don't go with a tackle with one of the first two picks, it's hard to believe they won't hope for a guy like Brown to fall to them at No. 40. They won't ignore the offensive line completely.

stl.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=stlhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=stlSt. Louis Rams
Top needs: QB, WR, DT, TE, OLB, RB
First round (1): DT Ndamukong Suh
Second-round options (33): RB Jahvid Best, WR Arrelious Benn, OLB Sean Weatherspoon, TE Rob Gronkowski
Third-round options (65): QB Colt McCoy, TE Ed Dickson, OLB Perry Riley, OLB Jerry Hughes, WR Damian Williams
Summary: The Rams only have a need for Suh insomuch as anybody could need the clearly most dominating player on the board at this stage. Unless they can get out of the pick, Suh is the safest choice. You have to suspect there's a chance that a team that desperately needs to figure out their QB situation could fall in love with a guy like Jimmy Clausen, but we don't know that yet. They could also have Michael Vick in town next year, for all we know. The Rams have needs everywhere. They have a good RB in http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25111Steven Jackson, but Best could add a new dimension. They need a WR, they need a TE, they need an OLB. They have other needs, but these are the most glaring, so they should get the best value they can at every pick.

[h3]NFC North[/h3]

chi.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=chihttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=chiChicago Bears
Top needs: RT, G, WR, DT, CB
First round: No first-round picks
Second-round options: No second-round picks
Third-round options (75): WR Dezmon Briscoe, OT Tony Washington, DT 'Anthony Smith, CB Brandon Ghee, G Jon Asamoah
Summary: It'll be quiet for a while in the Bears' war room. They don't have a first-round pick, but they have Jay Cutler to show for it. Their second-round pick went to Tampa Bay, and tragically for the team and the league, Gaines Adams, the player they received for that pick, passed away. The Bears need to get younger along the offensive line, and they also need to supply Jay Cutler with another WR. The issue is that they are already so young at that position that the draft -- and the third round -- may not be the best place to address it. Look for the Bears to find, quite simply, the best value they can.

det.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dethttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=detDetroit Lions
Top needs: CB, DT, DE, OT, WR, RB
First round (2): DT Gerald McCoy
Second-round options (34):, CB Perrish Cox, DE Greg Hardy, WR Arrelious Benn, RB Jahvid Best, OT Charles Brown
Third-round options (66): DE Willie Young, WR Damian Williams, CB Donovan Warren, CB Dominique Franks, RB James Starks, OT Selvish Capers
Summary: The Lions can't go wrong at No. 2 because if the Rams decide to pass on Suh they win, and if Suh is off the board you have McCoy, a tremendous talent in his own right, and a guy who can help the Detroit defense in 2010. The Lions obviously will want to deepen their offensive line to benefit the rising Matthew Stafford, and should also consider getting help at WR and RB, where Kevin Smith is adequate, but not dynamic, and his health is a big issue. The Lions need to get a lot better up front on defense, and if they get McCoy and then add a DE in the second or third round, from a deep class in that area, they should grade out well.

gnb.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=gnbhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=gnbGreen Bay Packers
Top needs: OT, S, RB, LB, CB
First round (23): S Taylor Mays
Second-round options (56): OT/G Vladimir Ducasse, , OT Selvish Capers, RB Ryan Mathews, RB Joe McKnight,
Third-round options (86): RB Montario Hardesty, LB Patrick Angerer, OT Kyle Calloway, CB Trevard Lindley
Summary: Need meets value in Round 1 when the Packers solve a problem in the secondary by getting the maligned but undeniably talented Taylor Mays, who showed some caution this year both in coverage and as a tackler, but didn't get a lot of help from a very young USC defense. The Packers need to continue to build the offensive line because Aaron Rodgers was under too much pressure this year, but I also think they want to add depth and talent to the RB position. And you never have too many talented LBs in the 3-4 Dom Capers has installed.

min.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=minhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=minMinnesota Vikings
Top needs: CB, G/C, DT, MLB, OLB, QB
First round (30): CB http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25589Patrick Robinson
Second-round options (62): G Jon Asamoah, LB Daryl Washington, OLB Rennie Curran
Third-round options (93): C J.D. Walton, DT Al Woods, OLB Rod Muckelroy, CB Brian Jackson, QB Tim Tebow, DT Lamarr Houston
Summary: Robinson would be an ideal pick in Round 1. He's the No. 2 CB in the entire draft class right now, behind Florida's Joe Haden, and he has the experience to be able to help out in nickel coverage right away. Obviously, the uncertainty at QB is an issue, but I think the Vikings will want to also address the interior of the offensive line, as well as look for a possible partner or heir to Pat Williams along the defensive front. Drafting at a strength position isn't always a bad idea. I think given the injury to E.J. Henderson, depth in the linebacking corps is need. The Vikings look great at the skill positions, so defense and the interiors should be the focus.

[h3]NFC South[/h3]

atl.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=atlhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=atlAtlanta Falcons
Top needs: DE, CB, OL, LB, WR
First round (19): OLB Sergio Kindle
Third-round options (73): DE Jason Worilds, CB Dominique Franks, CB Syd'Quan Thompson, WR Eric Decker, LB Daryl Washington, TE Garrett Graham
Summary: The Falcons tied for 26th in the NFL in sacks in 2009, so anybody that gives them some help in getting to the quarterback is a good thing. Kindle is probably undersized as a pure 4-3 DE, but he can help in pass-rushing situations. Kindle could also convert to an upright. I think the Falcons would be thrilled if a guy like Griffen fell to them at No. 19. They could also use help at CB, and I actually think they should add some depth at the WR position, because as Matt Ryan enters his third year he'll be able to do more -- and more talent at receiver, or even an apprentice to Tony Gonzalez, wouldn't be a bad idea.

car.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=carhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=carCarolina Panthers
Top needs: QB, WR, DT, TE
First round: No first-round picks
Second-round options (48): WR Brandon LaFell, WR Damian Williams, DT Arthur Jones
Third-round options (76): DT http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25558Gene Atkins, DT Vince Oghobaase, WR Damaryius Thomas, WR http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25380Mike Williams, QB Tim Tebow, QB Sean Canfield, QB Dan LeFevour
Summary: I was hard on the Panthers in my grades last year for trading away a first-round pick to get in position to draft Everette Brown, and it can't feel good to be outside of a loaded first round. That said, a team that really needs WRs can get a good one in Round 2. I have QB as a need simply because the team needs to get settled, and even if they think they have something with Matt Moore, they might as well consider adding a young arm behind him. In the meantime, find Moore some targets, and then consider depth on the defensive line. If a guy like Jones fell to No. 48 -- which isn't likely at this stage -- they'd be tempted.

nor.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=norhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=norNew Orleans Saints
Top needs: OLB, DT, S
First round (31): DT Jared Odrick
Second-round options (62): LB Sean Lee, LB Sean Weatherspoon, LB Daryl Washington, S Larry Asante, S Morgan Burnett
Third-round options (92): LB Micah Johnson, S Harry Coleman, RB Dexter McCluster
Summary: The pick of Odrick isn't supposed to be a statement, an admittance that Sedrick Ellis was a bad pick two years ago. The bottom line is that Odrick is a great value. The Saints will need to continue to improve against the run and extremely talented interior linemen like Odrick that can let your LBs run free are guys you can't have enough of. Weatherspoon and Lee are both guys that would have to fall, but either could be a second-round home run. A great safety value could be an option, or a guy like McCluster, who Sean Payton could do a lot with if, for some unlikely reason, Reggie Bush ends up elsewhere.

tam.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=tamhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=tamTampa Bay Buccaneers
Top needs: WR, S, DE, DT, G, CB
First round (3): S Eric Berry
Second-round options (35): WR Arrelious Benn, WR Brandon LaFell, DE Greg Hardy, DT Arthur Jones, CB Perrish Cox
Third-round options (67): G Jon Asamoah, CB Kareem Jackson, DT D'Anthony Smith, DE George Selvie, DE Willie Young, WR Dezmon Briscoe, WR Eric Decker
Summary: Safety isn't the top need position I see on this team, but there's no reason at all to pass up a guy like Berry, who is rightfully compared to Ed Reed and can change the image of your defense from the safety position. He's just an exceptional talent that will help immediately. I think the Bucs need to give some help to their young quarterback and if Benn is sitting there at No. 35, he represents great value. Help along the interior and edges of the defensive line is imperative, so the Bucs can't go wrong with the top value available there in Round 2 or 3. Getting Selvie, who played his college games in the same stadium, would be a solid grab at No. 67 overall.
[/h2]

Gunna, you'd be ok with Suh at 1, and Benn round 2 wouldn't you?  That's not bad. 
But what the hell would the Rams want to draft Best for? 
ohwell.gif
   That's the only position on the team they don't need to worry about, unless of course they think Jackson will break down after this year's beating. 

[h2]
[h2]Kiper's 'Grade A' Draft: AFC[/h2][h3]Building off his Round 1 mock, Mel assessess needs and pick options in Rounds 2 and 3[/h3]
By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com
Archive

0127gradeA_afc.jpg
Getty ImagesThe secret to a good draft is not filling a need by sacrificing value; but it works both ways.

You've already seen my first mock draft. Now it's time to take it further. Every year I hand out grades after the draft, and I even handed out draft grades this year after a full season. What gets you a good grade?

It's a combination of addressing needs and drafting for value. You can do well if you properly address a huge need with a high pick, like Detroit did by taking Matthew Stafford at first overall. But if you address a need with a poor pick in terms of value -- like Kansas City drafting Tyson Jackson last year at No. 3, a good player, but available later -- it hurts your grade, particularly when you have multiple needs. If you address needs and get good value, such as Green Bay with B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews Jr., you've nailed it.

So here's a primer, an early look at what could get teams an "A." I have lined up teams, their top needs, their first-round pick and then some possible second- and third-round picks. Again, these will change -- perhaps greatly -- as we get results from the Senior Bowl, the NFL combine and other workouts. Even some needs could change, but let's just say we can build from here and do it all again later. You'll see that some teams will have second- and third-round pick options overlap, as players are slotted there based on current grades.

[h3]AFC | NFC[/h3]

[h3]AFC East[/h3]

nwe.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nweNew England Patriots
Top needs: A 3-4 DE, OLB, RB, WR, OL
First round (22): OLB
Ricky Sapp
Second-round options (44, 47, 53): DE Greg Hardy, RB Ryan Mathews, OT Charles Brown, LB Sean Weatherspoon, WR Brandon LaFell, WR Damian Williams, QB Tim Tebow
Summary: The Patriots are set up for a huge weekend, with lots of high-value picks in a deep draft. At No. 22 they get value at their second-biggest need with Sapp (OLB in a 3-4) and then could go after a natural (and versatile) 3-4 DE like Hardy in Round 2. But they also can add a solid RB with Mathews and another good LB before addressing WR with the last of three picks in Round 2. With
Julian Edelman's growth behind Wes Welker as a slot guy, I think they could look for a better downfield threat to back up the aging Randy Moss. Williams was in a pro-style offense and could be a good get in the late second. They could also take a good tackle in Round 2 if they don't like the WR value left at that stage. Tebow? He'd be a bad value here, and I highly doubt it, but hey, they have three picks ...

nyj.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyjhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyjNew York Jets
Top needs:WR, DE, S, NT
First round (29): WR
Golden Tate
Second-round options (58): DE
Corey Wooton, DE Willie Young, DE http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25441C.J. Wilson, S Chad Jones
Summary: The Jets give
Mark Sanchez a weapon in the passing game with Tate, who both played in a pro-style offense and has the physicality to fight for the ball -- always a help to a young quarterback. Wooton is likely still on the board late in Round 2, or they can get a guy with a late second-round to mid third-round grade in Young or Wilson. Jones is just one option I like at safety, and he could be around. One thing to keep in mind: It might not be a bad idea for the Jets to find another late gem at RB, because Thomas Jones could be elsewhere, and if either Shonn Greene or Leon Washington gets dinged, they will want some depth.

buf.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=bufhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=bufBuffalo Bills
Top needs:QB, LT, WR, OLB
First round (9): QB
Jimmy Clausen
Second-round options (41): OT
Charles Brown, Selvish Capers, Mardy Gilyard
Third-round options (72): WR
Eric Decker, OT Kyle Calloway, OLB Roddrick Muckelroy
Summary: I really think Clausen's stock will continue to rise as we approach the draft and Buffalo could be glad it took him. He comes from a pro-style offense -- just listen to the reports about guys like Tebow trying to take snaps under center right now -- which was a boon for
Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez, and he's tough. I think Buffalo should grab a tackle in Round 2, and Brown or Capers might be there. In Round 3 the Bills should either grab a receiver to help take pressure off Lee Evans, or the tackle or OLB that they still need. Two of those three in those two rounds is good.

mia.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=miahttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=miaMiami Dolphins
Top needs:WR, ILB, NT, OLB, S
First round (12):
Rolando McClain
Second-round options (43): WR
Damian Williams, WR Brandon LaFell, WR/RB Dexter McCluster,
Third-round options (63): DT
Vince Oghobaase, DT 'Anthony Smith, OLB Perry Riley, WR Demaryius Thomas, WR Eric Decker
Summary: If the Dolphins get McClain in Round 1, they will get a guy who can make a difference right away. And while the team needs a WR, you can see Miami being a little spooked to draft one so high after its experience with
Ted Ginn Jr.. There are some good options available in Round 2, such as Williams or LaFell, or even McCluster, who is like a Darren Sproles but with more pass-catching experience. Oghobaase is a good player with a current grade that could land him safely at No. 63; same with Smith.

[h3]AFC North[/h3]

bal.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=balhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=balBaltimore Ravens
Top needs: WR, TE, CB, S, DE
First round (25):
Jermaine Gresham
Second-round options (57): WR
Danario Alexander, WR http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25380Mike Williams, CB Trevard Lindley, CB Kyle Wilson
Third-round options (88): S Darrell Stuckey, CB Donovan Warren, Jermaine Cunningham
Summary: I projected Gresham to fall to the Ravens at No. 25 and I don't think they should pass, because whether WR is their top need or not, this is a guy who could become
Joe Flacco's best friend. He can learn from Todd Heap and become a force. Alexander and Williams are both guys who could be in Round 2 or 3, and I also add two CB options. Warren or Cunningham at that stage of the third would represent great value. With Reed's health a question mark the Ravens may also consider a safety. They'd be wise to at some point. An apprenticeship under Reed could have great value.

cin.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cinhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cinCincinnati Bengals
Top needs: WR, TE, G, LB
First round (21): TE
Aaron Hernandez
Second-round options (54): WR Damian Williams, WR
Jordan Shipley, G Mike Iupati, LB Sean Lee
Third-round options (84): G
Jon Asamoah, G http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25644Mike Johnson, OT Tony Washington
Summary: I really think Hernandez is a guy who can help in the passing game -- and I'm a little higher on him than some -- because he has some hybrid in him as a guy in the Kellen Winslow Jr. mold. So I don't see it as some kind of admission that Chase Coffman was a bad pick. This is a different type of player. He can run after the catch and create matchup problems all over the place. I can still see Cincy taking a WR in Round 2, and then maybe addressing a weakness at guard with either a true guard or a tackle whom they would try to convert. You could also see the Bengals making a move to strengthen their linebackers.

cle.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=clehttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cleCleveland Browns
Top needs: QB, (big) RB, CB/S, OLB, WR, TE
First round (7): CB
Joe Haden
Second-round options (38): RB
Ryan Mathews, RB Jonathan Dwyer, QB Colt McCoy, OLB Eric Norwood
Third-round options (71, 92): S
DeAndre McDaniel, TE Ed Dickson, TE Dennis Pitta, RB Toby Gerhart, OLB Antonio Coleman
Summary: I think there's a good chance Cleveland will wait a while to make a decision on a QB, so while the "need" is at that position, it's also one of direction. Do the Browns stick with one of their guys or make a deal? I'd like to see them add a big back, so maybe Dwyer doesn't run well and falls to them, or they wait and get a guy like Gerhart with that pick at No. 92. They could also add a rushing linebacker or a tight end and fulfill needs there.

pit.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pithttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pitPittsburgh Steelers
Top needs: CB, OT, DT, RB
First round (18): OT
Bryan Bulaga
Second-round options (52): CB
Javier Arenas, CB Brandon Ghee, DT Terrence Cody
Third-round options (82): DT D'Anthony Smith, DT
Al Woods, RB Rashawn Jackson
Summary: I have Bulaga going to the Steelers so they can help get their offensive line back to where it was in previous seasons when this team was running the ball effectively and Big Ben wasn't dropping back 50 times. Then I think they can address a corner need, because there's a pile of guys with second-round grades. I also think the Steelers should find the heir to
Casey Hampton, and while I seriously doubt Cody is there -- he could be in the late first round -- that's the type of classic anchor defensive tackle you look for.

[h3]AFC South[/h3]

hou.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=houhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=houHouston Texans
Top needs: RB, S, DT, CB, C
First round (20): DT Brian Price
Second-round options (51): RB
Joe McKnight, RB Ryan Mathews, S Nate Allen, S DeAndre McDaniel, CB Javier Arenas
Third-round options (81): CB
Syd'Quan Thompson, CB Devin McCourty, C Justin Walton
Summary: I have the Texans taking Price as a great value pick at one of their needs, which I don't think are all that far apart in terms of importance. I've said before I can also see them taking
Taylor Mays or (almost impossibly) Earl Thomas if available at No. 20. After that I see them looking for a RB who holds on to the ball, then a good cover corner.

ind.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=indhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=indIndianapolis Colts
Top needs: OT, ILB, DE, (backup) QB, CB
First round (32): DE
Brandon Graham
Second-round options (64): OT Selvish Capers, ILB
Brandon Spikes, ILB Sean Lee
Third-round options (95): QB
Sean Canfield, OT Edwin Veldheer, CB Myron Lewis
Summary: Graham is just an exceptional value falling to the Colts at No. 32, a perfect student to the Mathis-Freeney combo that has been so effective. The Colts need an ILB and I'm one who feels Spikes could drop because of a lack of top-end speed. If he runs well he'll never fall that far, but if he doesn't, it's a great get. I truly think the team should get a serious option as a backup to
Peyton Manning. At least more serious than Curtis Painter. The Colts are so bad without Manning that it has to be considered. Veldheer is a slight reach, but Howard Mudd, the offensive line coach in Indy, is also a Hillsdale grad. Why not?

jac.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=jachttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=jacJacksonville Jaguars
Top needs: DE, OLB, RB, QB, WR, FB
First round (11): DE
Jason Pierre-Paul
Second-round options : No second-round picks
Third-round options (75): OLB
Jerry Hughes, OLB Rod Muckelroy, RB James Starks, QB Tim Tebow, WR Dezmon Briscoe
Summary: Pierre-Paul feels like a slam dunk to me in the first. The Jags need a pass-rusher, and Pierre-Paul, while raw, has the chance to become a
Mario Williams-like presence as a super-athletic end who makes plays all over. With no Round 2 pick, the Jags could go in multiple directions in Round 3, aiming for top value while still addressing one of a handful of needs. Hughes would be a steal here. I think at this stage Round 3 might be high for Tebow, but the local angle is there, so you never know.

ten.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=tenhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=tenTennessee Titans
Top needs: OLB, DE, CB, WR, S
First round (17): DE
Everson Griffen
Third-round options (77): LB
Daryl Washington, CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB Syd'Quan Thompson, S Larry Asante, WR Eric Decker
Summary: Griffen is an interesting player because he can play a classic defensive end in the 4-3, and some could even imagine him as the interior end in a 3-4. I think he fits really well in Tennessee and the value is a match. I look for the Titans to take the best value at several possible positions in Round 3. Washington is a freakish athlete who can get sideline to sideline as a 4-3 LB, and Asante could provide safety help, or Decker could remind some people of a young
Drew Bennett.

[h3]AFC West[/h3]

den.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=denhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=denDenver Broncos
Top needs: WR, OG/C, DE, QB, DT
First round (10): WR
Dez Bryant
Second-round options (45): Mike Iupati, DE Corey Wooton, DE
Greg Hardy
Third-round options (80): C Justin Walton , DT
Tyson Alualu, DT Al Woods, QB Sean Canfield
Summary: As I wrote in the mock, I have Bryant as a need pick based on the assumption that
Brandon Marshall is gone next season. If somehow Marshall stays, things change. But Bryant is a serious deep threat, a guy who can make your QB look good on deep throws. Hardy would be a great value if he fell to No. 45, and both he and Wooton have seen their stock take a hit from injuries. Wooton is far more likely to be around. A good DT as a value in the late third would work, and maybe the Broncos take a QB if they really, really like a guy.

kan.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kanhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kanKansas City Chiefs
Top needs: S, LT, (big) RB, WR, NT, LB
First round (5): OT
Russell Okung
Second-round options (36, 50): RB Jonathan Dwyer, S Chad Jones, S DeAndre McDaniel, WR
Arrelious Benn, WR Brandon LaFell, DT Terrence Cody
Third-round options (68): LB Daryl Washington, S Nate Allen, WR Mike Williams, DT Al Woods
Summary: It's hard to make mistakes when you have this many needs. I like Okung in Round 1 because he solves two problems, since he lands at LT and Brandon Albert moves to the right side. A big RB could help ease the load on
Jamaal Charles, so if Dwyer falls he could be tempting. Benn would be a huge get if he's there at No. 36. From there, it's a mix of help on the interior defensive line, a safety or perhaps even a great value at linebacker.

oak.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=oakhttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=oakOakland Raiders
Top needs: QB, LT, DT, LB, S
First round (
glasses.gif
:
OT
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25731Anthony Davis
Second-round options (39): DT
Arthur Jones, DT Terrence Cody, OT Charles Brown, OT/G Vladimir Ducasse, LB Sean Lee
Third-round options (69, 85): S
Kam Chancellor, S Morgan Burnett, S Major Wright, DT Boo Robinson, QB Dan LeFevour
Summary: Talk about unpredictable. I think the Raiders should take maybe the most talented tackle in the whole draft with Davis at No. 8, then consider adding depth and talent to the defensive front, or adding a LB. Jones would be a good fit in the second round, but perhaps owner Al Davis will see Ted Washington in Cody. A safety would help, and while many people consider QB a need position, we know Al Davis likes JaMarcus Russell. That said, perhaps he looks for another strong arm at some point in a kid like LeFevour.

sdg.gif
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sdghttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sdgSan Diego Chargers
Top needs:RB, OT, OLB, DT, WR
First round (28): Jonathan Dwyer
Second-round options (60): OLB
Rico McCoy, OLB Sean Weatherspoon, DT http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25558Gene Atkins, OT Selvish Capers
Third-round options (91): WR Demaryius Thomas, WR Carlton Mitchell, DE
Hall Davis, OLB/DE O'Brien Schofield, OT Chris Scott
Summary: As I explained in the mock, I think the Chargers need to find that bigger back to complement Darren Sproles if
LaDainian Tomlinson is elsewhere next season. Dwyer fits the bill, and has more big-play ability than some think. San Diego drafted Larry English last year as an insurance policy behind Shawne Merriman, and the Chargers may add more insurance with Merriman possibly gone. I'm not as sold on their depth at WR, and Mitchell could intrigue them. Atkins could be a fit on the inside edge for the 3-4. Schofield tore his ACL in Senior Bowl practice, which obviously changes where he is here.
[/h2]

Back
Top Bottom