Alcoholism sends my brother to an early grave.

So im 28. My brother passed away at age 29 June 19th, 2017 from hearth and liver failure due to alcoholism. I don't even know when he started drinking, but I know he had been drinking for at least 10 years. He was always hard working but he just couldn't seem to put down the drink. I don't know what led him to start but we had been in foster care at an early age and I think that may have had something to do with it. He always was working hard and was very kind hearted to others around him. He'd go to the hospital and I would always beg him to stop, but he'd come out the hospital and continuously return over , and over sometimes evey week , sometimes evey two weeks.I'd go to visit him when I can and I would tell him to please stop the drinking.I even threatened to harm myself if something happened to him but he continued to drink.

At one point I decided to stop going to the hospital for a while because I was too busy with work and I was too traumatized to see him there week after week, He'd be hollering in pain , throwing up, throwing up blood,, hooked up to ivy, taking morphine, hooked up to multiple machines, but he'd come out and then drink again! Th alcohol really took a toll on his body bringing him down to 90 pounds, he had asthma, diabetes, low blood sugar, chronic pancreatisis, hypoglycemia, heart failure, liver damage, and more. I was very frustrated and I thought maybe by me going ,he thought it was okay to continue with it so I stopped going hoping that it would cause him to stop. Nothing worked he continued to drink. Perhaps one of the strangest things is that i've never seen him drink not even once! Even stranger as bad health as he was in he would continue to work, doing locksmith work, working on a garbage truck, working multiple jobs, so I always thought he knew what he was doing and one day he would eventually stop and get himself together. He was in a Inpatient program for about two months but he came out and went back to the bottle.

He was always intelligent with his work and always giving me advice so I really thought he would get in better shape soon and eventually overcome his addiction. As bad as his health was I didn't see the end of him coming because of the fact he was always going to work, and I couldn't picture living in a world without my brother.Then I got a frightening call on Saturday June 17th in the evening after coming from work. My sister called me and said Ray (my bro) was in the hospital and that he had passed out in the house and he had to have cpr done to him. I rushed over to the hospital to see my bro hooked up to multiple machines, and a respirator with almost my entire family surounding him. I let him know I was there and I kept saying in a quiet voice."It's your brother Alan i'm here you're going to be alright" I kept repeating "it's me Alan" so that he would know im there and then hopefully pull through.Even though his eyes were shut he popped opened his eyes for about a second and a half when he knew I was there and I thought it meant he was getting strong.It's only after everything occured I realized that it was the only way he had of saying goodbye to me , as he couldnt talk with the respirator hooked up to him. The doctor told me he started making improvements I was happy about and I left the room and started praying. Another doctor told me his chances of dying are much greater than his chances of living, and told me my brother is a fighter, but I still had hope and still couldnt picture a world without him.

It hit 12 o clock midnight on Sunday June 18th and I had to let my father know "I know this is not the best fathers day to see your son in the hospital but happy fathers day dad". He was still heart broken. I don't know why I didnt know my brother would die soon, and I wish instead of telling him "you're going to make it" I wish I would have told him "you're the best brother in the world and I will live my life for you" Everybody Loves Raymond'. Thats what I wish I would have told him but I didn't know he would be dead the coming monday. I left the hospital sunday to go to work and I couldnt see him in that bad shape, so hoping he would get better with time... I returned Monday morning and stayed for a couple of hours. I seen the doctors giving him cpr and I got on my knees and prayed he would make it. Too late...the doctor came out and told me that he had passed and I started yelling and crying. My mom was in tears and my whole family. We stood around him for a while and said a prayer and then left. The worst day of my life.EVER.

Whats crazy is that I started researching stuff about alcohol online after this and It said something about, alcohol dependency and alcohol abuse. Alcohol dependency is when the cells in ones body requires them to keep drinking to stay alive(such as withdrawl symptoms, like shakes and stuff like that. The person's brains is already damaged and that means theres no cure for it which means they will always have to drink. I wish I would of studied the disease earlier before he passed and it makes me upset that I didnt know, or else I would have went to the hospital everytime. I thought he had control of it and was drinking to be stubborn and now I feel bad every day of my life.Alcoholism ends my brothers life and now it leaves me sad for the rest of my life. It destroyed my family It destroyed all his friends who cared aout him. I'm 28 years of age, and I have to live my entire life without my brother all thanks to what I view as the deadliest disease that has ever been on the Planet.My brothers life has ended and now everyone including family who cared about him has to live on in this world without him and with all the Traumatic experiences and flashbacks of what it did to him.Alcoholism is the destroyer of all lives not only to the addict, but to all the family and friends of that person. I'm so upset , sad, heartbroken, embarassed, dissapointed, ashamed, and depressed. I never knew alcohol had the power to destory someone even if they don't drink.(It destroyed me because it killed my brother) I loved my brother so much and I Find it really hard to carry on living in a world without him.I am crushed for life |l

Last edited:
My condolences

Ive heard an alcoholic tryna quit is harder and more fatal than a heroin addict tryna kick the habit.

Condolences bro. Thanks for sharing this because I’m going to quit drinking after reading this.

Condolences man, alcoholism has taken basically every older man down in my family except my pops, who is a heavy drinker and his drinking concerns me often. It's a **** dependency.

Sorry to hear this man. Just thinking about losing one of my siblings is painful, couldn't imagine how it'd feel if it actually happened.
The generation before mine had to grow up around alcoholics on my mothers side and what they saw thankfully killed it in my family.
It's important that people continue to share their story to raise awareness and I thank you for taking the time to do that.

Sorry for your loss man. Seems like our generation is so dependent on alcohol to have a good time and/or deal with life stresses. In my city most people in their 20s that I know lean on drinking as a major part of their social lives. I wish it was different but unfortunately it’s just how it is nowadays. Prayers for your family bro

damn, just seeing the title nearly brought tears to my eyes, really sorry to hear that man, my older brother is battling the same thing right now
it's rough

my condolences

i have the same fear for my brother. i dont know how hes doing with that because he recently moved away. and i dont like to bring the subject up because he becomes defensive.

Condolences to you and your family your brother will certainly be in my prayers and mind for weeks to come

i work in a substance abuse treatment center and the fact that alcohol is legal and weed hasn’t already been legalized just goes to show how messed up our laws can be.

I got sober in 2011, Now weed is legalized but I always had a connection. This weed they got now is mixed with steroids to make it grow faster and it's more potenent

My old connect has grown the same strain of Maui Aui since 1997, and his plant lineage has been in his family since the 1950's or some Craze amaze story like that .... it has never been cross bred.

It's weak compared to todays standards so he just does WAX NOW... he is one of 2 people I know that have IRON lungs bro... I seriously have never seen anyone outsmoke these 2 dudes

I used to get HIGHHHHHHHHHHHH AS FUUUUUUUUUUU

so high I could hear stuff across the street LOL!!

I been sober since Mar 26 2011

I never wanted to drink again but I have wanted to get High Again LOL!! but getting high leads me to say EFF IT and I know I'll drink again

i work in a substance abuse treatment center and the fact that alcohol is legal and weed hasn’t already been legalized just goes to show how messed up our laws can be.

Thanks a lot for your condolences and kind words everyone. Yeah I understand that. Even if someone is is constantly in and out of the hospital, and the doctors can see the damage the alcohol is doing to someone, I feel there should be a law to mandate that person into a long term inpatient program. I hope to become a conunselor one day and teach others the dangers of addiction. My borther was a very kind , and loving person and i'm so hurt that this happened.Again as smart and intelligent as he was, I really thought he had the abillity to overcome and battle the addiction and eventually stop.Anything he put his hands on he was able to fix. Seven months in since this happened and I believe I can make it all the way. Anyone who feels like checking out my bro's facebook page can click the link.He has a lot of history on his work accomplishments, and pictures, and more.

https://www.facebook.com/locksmith.ray

Last edited:
sorry about your loss.
I'm currently in school for drug and alcohol counseling and didn't realize the extent of damage both of those things cause.
stop living in guilt. you tried, you can't change someone who doesn't want to change. you have to move on bc if you don't you're going to live in that day for the rest of your life. make your brother proud.

So im 28. My brother passed away at age 29 June 19th, 2017 from hearth and liver failure due to alcoholism. I don't even know when he started drinking, but I know he had been drinking for at least 10 years. He was always hard working but he just couldn't seem to put down the drink. I don't know what led him to start but we had been in foster care at an early age and I think that may have had something to do with it. He always was working hard and was very kind hearted to others around him. He'd go to the hospital and I would always beg him to stop, but he'd come out the hospital and continuously return over , and over sometimes evey week , sometimes evey two weeks.I'd go to visit him when I can and I would tell him to please stop the drinking.I even threatened to harm myself if something happened to him but he continued to drink.

At one point I decided to stop going to the hospital for a while because I was too busy with work and I was too traumatized to see him there week after week, He'd be hollering in pain , throwing up, throwing up blood,, hooked up to ivy, taking morphine, hooked up to multiple machines, but he'd come out and then drink again! Th alcohol really took a toll on his body bringing him down to 90 pounds, he had asthma, diabetes, low blood sugar, chronic pancreatisis, hypoglycemia, heart failure, liver damage, and more. I was very frustrated and I thought maybe by me going ,he thought it was okay to continue with it so I stopped going hoping that it would cause him to stop. Nothing worked he continued to drink. Perhaps one of the strangest things is that i've never seen him drink not even once! Even stranger as bad health as he was in he would continue to work, doing locksmith work, working on a garbage truck, working multiple jobs, so I always thought he knew what he was doing and one day he would eventually stop and get himself together. He was in a Inpatient program for about two months but he came out and went back to the bottle.

He was always intelligent with his work and always giving me advice so I really thought he would get in better shape soon and eventually overcome his addiction. As bad as his health was I didn't see the end of him coming because of the fact he was always going to work, and I couldn't picture living in a world without my brother.Then I got a frightening call on Saturday June 17th in the evening after coming from work. My sister called me and said Ray (my bro) was in the hospital and that he had passed out in the house and he had to have cpr done to him. I rushed over to the hospital to see my bro hooked up to multiple machines, and a respirator with almost my entire family surounding him. I let him know I was there and I kept saying in a quiet voice."It's your brother Alan i'm here you're going to be alright" I kept repeating "it's me Alan" so that he would know im there and then hopefully pull through.Even though his eyes were shut he popped opened his eyes for about a second and a half when he knew I was there and I thought it meant he was getting strong.It's only after everything occured I realized that it was the only way he had of saying goodbye to me , as he couldnt talk with the respirator hooked up to him. The doctor told me he started making improvements I was happy about and I left the room and started praying. Another doctor told me his chances of dying are much greater than his chances of living, and told me my brother is a fighter, but I still had hope and still couldnt picture a world without him.

It hit 12 o clock midnight on Sunday June 18th and I had to let my father know "I know this is not the best fathers day to see your son in the hospital but happy fathers day dad". He was still heart broken. I don't know why I didnt know my brother would die soon, and I wish instead of telling him "you're going to make it" I wish I would have told him "you're the best brother in the world and I will live my life for you" Everybody Loves Raymond'. Thats what I wish I would have told him but I didn't know he would be dead the coming monday. I left the hospital sunday to go to work and I couldnt see him in that bad shape, so hoping he would get better with time... I returned Monday morning and stayed for a couple of hours. I seen the doctors giving him cpr and I got on my knees and prayed he would make it. Too late...the doctor came out and told me that he had passed and I started yelling and crying. My mom was in tears and my whole family. We stood around him for a while and said a prayer and then left. The worst day of my life.EVER.

Whats crazy is that I started researching stuff about alcohol online after this and It said something about, alcohol dependency and alcohol abuse. Alcohol dependency is when the cells in ones body requires them to keep drinking to stay alive(such as withdrawl symptoms, like shakes and stuff like that. The person's brains is already damaged and that means theres no cure for it which means they will always have to drink. I wish I would of studied the disease earlier before he passed and it makes me upset that I didnt know, or else I would have went to the hospital everytime. I thought he had control of it and was drinking to be stubborn and now I feel bad every day of my life.Alcoholism ends my brothers life and now it leaves me sad for the rest of my life. It destroyed my family It destroyed all his friends who cared aout him. I'm 28 years of age, and I have to live my entire life without my brother all thanks to what I view as the deadliest disease that has ever been on the Planet.My brothers life has ended and now everyone including family who cared about him has to live on in this world without him and with all the Traumatic experiences and flashbacks of what it did to him.Alcoholism is the destroyer of all lives not only to the addict, but to all the family and friends of that person. I'm so upset , sad, heartbroken, embarassed, dissapointed, ashamed, and depressed. I never knew alcohol had the power to destory someone even if they don't drink.(It destroyed me because it killed my brother) I loved my brother so much and I Find it really hard to carry on living in a world without him.I am crushed for life |l

My condolences to you and your family. If you ever need to vent or just talk to someone then you can always PM me. You should definitely get into counseling, you can help a lot of people by sharing your story and knowledge.

RIP to your brother, Ray |l.

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing, hopefully your story will make a change in someone’s life. RIP to your brother

Sorry for your loss.

Crazy how you said you never seen him drink....

But how much drinking do you have to do in order to put yourself in this situation?

A 750ml a day?

Back
Top Bottom