Any doctors here??

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

Originally Posted by blazinRook

@ UTVOL23, AntonLaVey, and TypeRPinoy what med schools did/do you go to?

i've said this before...the sad truth is what school you go to is nowhere nearly as important as where you go to school and what type of degree you earn.
there isn't much difference between a top 20 school and a top 50 school and a top 100 school. when it comes down to it US allopathic medical schools > US osteopathic schools > foreign medical schools in terms of getting a good residency

yea, with med school its all about the work you put in, same curriculum everywhere fot the most part...for the sake of anonymity i won't say where i go but it's in the u.s. that's all that matters.

i've said this before...the sad truth is what school you go to is nowhere nearly as important as where you go to school and what type of degree you earn.
there isn't much difference between a top 20 school and a top 50 school and a top 100 school. when it comes down to it US allopathic medical schools > US osteopathic schools > foreign medical schools in terms of getting a good residency
pretty much. im an american, graduated from an american school but im going to med school overseas. protip: dont screw around during undergrad. but from what ive heard so far, international medical graduates (IMGs) have a way lower priority/rank for the more competitive residencies...pretty much were slotted into internal med or pediatrics (which isnt bad if thats what you want to do) but say, surgery, good luck. Although, there is a guy from PA, graduated from the school im at now, got upper 90s on his USMLEs (both steps) and has a LOT of really nice extracurriculars/volunteer/internships and he's getting surgery interviews from top residency programs

edit: but, being a doctor has been what ive wanted to do since i was a kid, and im living the dream. its hard as hell, nonstop work. plus overseas (non-caribbean) most likely theres a really hard transition phase to adjust to the teaching style. it was crazy for me and the other americans here. but, if its your passion and you put in the work, you can make it.

pretty much. im an american, graduated from an american school but im going to med school overseas. protip: dont screw around during undergrad. but from what ive heard so far, international medical graduates (IMGs) have a way lower priority/rank for the more competitive residencies...pretty much were slotted into internal med or pediatrics (which isnt bad if thats what you want to do) but say, surgery, good luck. Although, there is a guy from PA, graduated from the school im at now, got upper 90s on his USMLEs (both steps) and has a LOT of really nice extracurriculars/volunteer/internships and he's getting surgery interviews from top residency programs

edit: but, being a doctor has been what ive wanted to do since i was a kid, and im living the dream. its hard as hell, nonstop work. plus overseas (non-caribbean) most likely theres a really hard transition phase to adjust to the teaching style. it was crazy for me and the other americans here. but, if its your passion and you put in the work, you can make it.

general surgery isnt THAT competitive...there are plenty of FMGs that get into general surgery programs. subspecialties tho? might as well forget about it

general surgery isnt THAT competitive...there are plenty of FMGs that get into general surgery programs. subspecialties tho? might as well forget about it

2wnso45.gif

13ydu0j.gif

true its not impossible, but definitely a lot harder. cosign on subspecialties though

also i mixed up fam medicine with peds in the last post.

2wnso45.gif

13ydu0j.gif

true its not impossible, but definitely a lot harder. cosign on subspecialties though

also i mixed up fam medicine with peds in the last post.

wow did niketalk just turn into SDN? awesome.
glad to see there are a few med students on here. 3rd year here doing a core rotation in psych... hate it. 

if anyone is interested in joining the navy to get med school paid for in return for service PM me. theres a 1000 dollar referral bonus and we can split it 
ohwell.gif

glad to see there are a few med students on here. 3rd year here doing a core rotation in psych... hate it. 

if anyone is interested in joining the navy to get med school paid for in return for service PM me. theres a 1000 dollar referral bonus and we can split it 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by s2kray

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Not awesome. SDN can be lame...
Surprised to see this went to 4 pages and to see all the regulars in here... *secret handshake*

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Not awesome. SDN can be lame...
Surprised to see this went to 4 pages and to see all the regulars in here... *secret handshake*

Lol yea these threads are usually dead by 3 pages, and ill leave it it turns into SDN.

With your data it seems a lot more FMGs match into IM than surg but as a whole gen surg isnt that competitive except at some of the top programs. I believe quite a few positions esp prelim surg go unfilled each year. Now if you look at the ROAD specialites the only one that had double digits of FMGs was Anes with 55 all the other had below 10 if not 0.

Does that chart group IMGS and FMGs as the same entity?

Lol yea these threads are usually dead by 3 pages, and ill leave it it turns into SDN.

With your data it seems a lot more FMGs match into IM than surg but as a whole gen surg isnt that competitive except at some of the top programs. I believe quite a few positions esp prelim surg go unfilled each year. Now if you look at the ROAD specialites the only one that had double digits of FMGs was Anes with 55 all the other had below 10 if not 0.

Does that chart group IMGS and FMGs as the same entity?

keep in mind that those numbers are only for the match. there are plenty of FMGs that secure positions outside of the match after doing research, completing residencies in other countries etc. so the actual number of FMGs in those fields is much higher.

keep in mind that those numbers are only for the match. there are plenty of FMGs that secure positions outside of the match after doing research, completing residencies in other countries etc. so the actual number of FMGs in those fields is much higher.

ohwell.gif

do you go to uniformed setrvices, i got in and turned it down
laugh.gif
......still very open to joining the military though, possibly after residency.

army or air force for me, i can't swim
grin.gif

ohwell.gif

do you go to uniformed setrvices, i got in and turned it down
laugh.gif
......still very open to joining the military though, possibly after residency.

army or air force for me, i can't swim
grin.gif

anton you should look into military scholarships than. i dont want to use the word "pointless", but it would make little if any sense financially to just join the military after medical school when you can have them pay for it.

anton you should look into military scholarships than. i dont want to use the word "pointless", but it would make little if any sense financially to just join the military after medical school when you can have them pay for it.

well ive been told if you join after med school they still pay off your loans, i may be wrong tho
nerd.gif
. my aversion to joining the military too early had to do with some concerns about their residency selection process.

well ive been told if you join after med school they still pay off your loans, i may be wrong tho
nerd.gif
. my aversion to joining the military too early had to do with some concerns about their residency selection process.

You guys have points. I'm a first year so I'm not too up on matching yet, I'm going on hearsay. While I'm not in for surgery (you shouldve seen my first cadaver dissection- hack and slash), it's a good sign if our chances are better. And true about the post matching too, a lot of places will require US rotations to match so doing post grad electives or something like that is probably in my future. Also for the stats: nrmp.org

more to the topic: what are your guys' class schedules like?

You guys have points. I'm a first year so I'm not too up on matching yet, I'm going on hearsay. While I'm not in for surgery (you shouldve seen my first cadaver dissection- hack and slash), it's a good sign if our chances are better. And true about the post matching too, a lot of places will require US rotations to match so doing post grad electives or something like that is probably in my future. Also for the stats: nrmp.org

more to the topic: what are your guys' class schedules like?

Back
Top Bottom