Are 'Mixed' People Black?...

nthat.gif

yeah i'm not one for these kinds of labels to begin with as the whole concept of race was to establish a certain power structure that many people still willingly abide by today. you got some white people claiming anyone who isn't of anglo saxon descent not "white" the same way you got some black people clinging onto the one drop black rule and both claiming "well, that's how society works" - that's a cop out. it goes a lot deeper than a person's skin color, features, etc
Pretty much. Also to help breed stereotypes and create divides among people. The whole "your people"/"my people" and possessiveness just breeds envy and hate when people start talking about "white people accomplished this" or "look at what black america did for this country". I like the idea of having black culture and mexican culture and asian culture and all that. It's cool to see how different groups of people and their societies live and have developed. But there's still a large portion of the population that can't handle weird or strange things that they aren't used to and when confronted with it their lack of intelligence creates only one response; hate.

We as people have a need explain everything. We don't like what we don't know or can't explain. So we label everything and everything has a place and particular qualities and can only be those qualities. When a black person can't play basketball or a white girl can rap or an asian can drive we don't like that. It breaks our labels and stereotypes so we chastise them and try to diminish and mock them in any way possible. People just can't be people. They have to fit a mold that society creates for them otherwise they're criticized and outcast. You see it all the time in the media.

What's sad? If you identify as black, and the world sees you as black, what's the problem? 

I don't watch Fox News (or any for that matter), but flipping through here and there I've seen Fox call Obama biracial on more than one occasion (even suggesting he's not "black" he's bi-racial….which is really no surprise I guess). 

My cousin, aunt and uncle (Zel).

View media item 1576028

Cousin lookin like a young Fred Sanford :smokin

I feel like they should be able to "claim" whatever race they want. Most of the mixed people I know identify more as black than white. I live in Georgia where racism is still very much a problem so it's interesting to see which race they identify more with in regards to the kind of people we live around (AKA racist rednecks). As for the whole one drop thing, i dont really know how I feel about it. Its different if your great great great grandparent was black versus your mom or dad. It really should be up to the person themselves and let them choose. For myself I am white but I have Native American in me (2 great grandparents on seperate sides were full blooded NA). I dont identify as Native American or consider myself to be one. You can kinda tell I am not "fully white" because I tan really easy like I have had some people think I'm white, some think im mexican, or some think im mixed. I dont really care which I identify as because my culture really doesnt matter to me. I have a kinda broken family so its never been a big deal like it is to other people. 

I feel like they should be able to "claim" whatever race they want. Most of the mixed people I know identify more as black than white. I live in Georgia where racism is still very much a problem so it's interesting to see which race they identify more with in regards to the kind of people we live around (AKA racist rednecks). As for the whole one drop thing, i dont really know how I feel about it. Its different if your great great great grandparent was black versus your mom or dad. It really should be up to the person themselves and let them choose. For myself I am white but I have Native American in me (2 great grandparents on seperate sides were full blooded NA). I dont identify as Native American or consider myself to be one. You can kinda tell I am not "fully white" because I tan really easy like I have had some people think I'm white, some think im mexican, or some think im mixed. I dont really care which I identify as because my culture really doesnt matter to me. I have a kinda broken family so its never been a big deal like it is to other people. 
insightful post. it's different for everyone. it's a personal thing that shouldn't be dictated by anyone, but that person

this is an interesting article i just read today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/us/pew-survey-mixed-race-multiracial-america.html

Ay, bro, just out of curiosity, why the choice of Black Intellect as a SN considering you very specifically identify as bi racial as opposed to generally Black? 
You know that's a very good question, I assumed I would get some flack for it and was about to choose something else more representative of myself like "whodamanudaman" or "gwap" but I decided it wasn't MY problem if some people wouldn't like it. The funny part to me has been that I would assume that it would be certain white members (Jrose5 folk) who would have a problem, but that hasn't been the case. Anytime I say something that doesn't align with certain principles I get called out and a usual predictable crack at my sn instead of the content of my post comes to fruition. Funny how that's how white people usually think, like one of us represents all of us. I guess on some level a few of my fellow members who consider themselves black (which I also consider myself) feel that I THINK I speak for all black people or am somehow trying to represent anything but myself. 

Last edited:

You know that's a very good question, I assumed I would get some flack for it and was about to choose something else more representative of myself like "whodamanudaman" or "gwap" but I decided it wasn't MY problem if some people wouldn't like it. The funny part to me has been that I would assume that it was the white members who would have a problem, but that hasn't been the case. Anytime I say something that doesn't align with certain principles I get called out and a usual predictable crack at my sn instead of the content of my posts come to fruition. Funny how that's how white people usually think, like one of us represents all of us. I guess on some level my fellow members who consider themselves black (which I also consider myself) feel that I THINK I speak for all black people or am somehow trying to represent anything but myself. 
Couple things of note here. 

First off, I am bi racial.  Black and Irish.  I consider myself mixed but identify as black given the fact that I live in America and our blackness is understood here in a way completely unique to our country and only our country. 

I'm not giving you flack about your name.  You chose it, to say something, whatever that something was.  You exist in a space on this board where your comments are read under the name Black Intellect so on some level, this choice is understood to be representative of you or the banner under which some of your comments might be perceived.  It's a very particular name to choose. This, coupled with the imagery of your avi as it is now or as it was with a Coltrane before, suggests that you are, whether slightly or very actively, projecting a "conscious" and afro-centric black identity.  

To my knowledge, I've never had any convo with, or critcism of you.  I'm not necessarily knocking you and I'm certainly not holding you or any black person to be the designated singular voice of Black people, of who there are millions, all individual.  I'm suggesting, though, that perhaps it would help for you to examine how these things can be perceived in tandem and in the context of race-related threads you post in, as identifiers of what vantage point you see yourself as looking out from.  The SN and the concrete statement where you said you consider yourself mixed, NOT BLACK, followed by you saying now that you do consider yourself black, is a bit confusing.  Let me know how you see it. 

Ay, bro, just out of curiosity, why the choice of Black Intellect as a SN considering you very specifically identify as bi racial as opposed to generally Black? 
You know that's a very good question, I assumed I would get some flack for it and was about to choose something else more representative of myself like "whodamanudaman" or "gwap" but I decided it wasn't MY problem if some people wouldn't like it. The funny part to me has been that I would assume that it would be certain white members (Jrose5 folk) who would have a problem, but that hasn't been the case. Anytime I say something that doesn't align with certain principles I get called out and a usual predictable crack at my sn instead of the content of my post comes to fruition. Funny how that's how white people usually think, like one of us represents all of us. I guess on some level a few of my fellow members who consider themselves black (which I also consider myself) feel that I THINK I speak for all black people or am somehow trying to represent anything but myself. 
let all your feelings out huh......

so you thought you would get flack for your screen name?

and you chose to keep it because it wasn't your problem if people didn't like it?

what kinda social justice warrior ish are you on.... 

It's a very particular name to choose. This, coupled with the imagery of your avi as it is now or as it was with a Coltrane before, suggests that you are, whether slightly or very actively, projecting a "conscious" and afro-centric black identity.  
If having an avi of my favorite musician projects a conscious I don't know what to tell you, would having Illmatics album cover, or Gucci as my avi carry that same connotation? Once again you are judging me from my SN and AVI not the content of my posts. The irony here should be tangible....
 I'm suggesting, though, that perhaps it would help for you to examine how these things can be perceived in tandem and in the context of race-related threads you post in, as identifiers of what vantage point you see yourself as looking out from.
I would hope that the one place where I would be judged for my ideas would be the race thread. To be honest, I usually stay away from race centric threads on here.
What I am saying and have ALWAYS said, is that these are not mutually exclusive. I am mixed, and I am black. My umbrage is with people saying it is either/or. It is not that I don't consider myself black, I am black AND white. I agree living in America I or in this case WE are viewed as black. However, one can choose to not allow how society views you to dictate how one views themselves. Just how no matter how many posters on here try to make it about my name when they actually disagree with or don't like what I'm posting. 

Last edited:

let all your feelings out huh......

so you thought you would get flack for your screen name?

and you chose to keep it because it wasn't your problem if people didn't like it?

what kinda social justice warrior ish are you on.... 
laugh.gif
 Saving the world, one NT post at a time.

OR at least you from your ignorance, thinking the panthers were an abomination 
grin.gif

Last edited:
Aunty could get it :nerd:

:lol:

She's still good almost 40 years later too.

View media item 1578421

She's on the right, with my Pops (he had to shave for his job :smh: ) and another aunt.

Tyreke Evans there is already driving to that hole(sorry brolic.. had to >D )

Ain't mad. He'll pop a dude too. His whole fam is bout dat.

aunty brolic is :nthat:

Yeah.

That's either the milkman's or the mailman's. :nerd:

Nah. My cuzzo looks like a light skin version of his Pops. Him in high school.

View media item 1578422

A bunch of my first cousins (some visiting from SD at the time) in the 1990s. Don't roast my Air Jesus's too tough. I was chilling at the pad.

View media item 1578423
Bonus round. All three are my sisters:

View media item 1578424
View media item 1578426
View media item 1578427

Be respectful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom