Are you a Negro? Vol. US Census....

I've never heard any of my family refer to themselves as "negro" before. Never. And you can't say that %!$* in everyday convo, so why would that be included on the census? Makes no sense.

That said, my wife and I had a good laugh when we were filling the census out and she asked me if I wanted to be recognized as a negro. That %!$* shocked me lol.

negro just means black. I really dont see nothing wrong with this. Just another example of a bunch of people BAWWWing for no reason.
Kinda off topic but... What am I supposed to put for race? Im Nicaraguan.... Do I put White since Im light skinned??

I'm Mexican/Guatemalan American, I put white, because I'm light skinned.

I mean, it was either White, Native American or Black/A-A/Negro

You should put hispanic. They should always have a hispanic decent choice on there.

Why part of that word offends you guys? I see nothing wrong with that word, it's not like they called you the N word. Wouldn't calling someone black be worse? just being identified as a color, not even the correct color either.

Originally Posted by alan713

Why part of that word offends you guys? I see nothing wrong with that word, it's not like they called you the N word. Wouldn't calling someone black be worse? just being identified as a color, not even the correct color either.

bein serious for a sec, ive always had a slight problem with this. i always thought it was weird that i was labled as "black" but im not black. im brown.

i always referred to myself as brown. or crayola crayon brown. cuz i wear BLACK tees, i have BLACK hair, but my skin is BROWN tho.

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

bein serious for a sec, ive always had a slight problem with this. i always thought it was weird that i was labled as "black" but im not black. im brown.

Hot damn.
pimp.gif

"Negro means black though"
Black is a damn color son.
laugh.gif

But I wish this much energy was forced upon the opposition of actions instead of words.
I mean why would you claim to be something just because you have been labeled as so?

I wonder if they should have "Oriental" or "Hebrew" listed?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by THE FAME

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

Hot damn.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

But I wish this much energy was forced upon the opposition of actions instead of words.
I mean why would you claim to be something just because you have been labeled as so?

laugh.gif
grin.gif
and white people aren't white. The reason there are so many terms is because everytime something like this arises, there's always one group of people screaming "that's racist" for no reason and essentially messing up the census. So to appeal to the masses, if you dont like the term "Negro", pick African-American, If you dont like African-American, pick black. Its the same
censoredua3.gif
ing thing. Ignorant, and mis-educated people want to get up-in-arms over the wrong thing.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

The word negro is only offensive because it sounds outdated and conjures up memories of times of high racial tension in the history of America. With that being said Negro means black.
In Spanish, yes, "negro" means the color black. However, the census is not written in Spanish.

I am an American black man.

In english, too.

Apparently the reason is that the older generation in black community still identify themselves as "negroes." I don't know how true that is.
this is what I thought when reading the OP.
Still.. even to the older gen...they would have understood the newer Black and Af. American terms.

They separate East Asians into their actual country of origin... but really...no Asian I know refers to themselves as Oriental.
http://2010.census.gov/20...how/interactive-form.php

Originally Posted by sn00pee

Hot damn.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif
and white people aren't white. The reason there are so many terms is because everytime something like this arises, there's always one group of people screaming "that's racist" for no reason and essentially messing up the census. So to appeal to the masses, if you dont like the term "Negro", pick African-American, If you dont like African-American, pick black. Its the same
censoredua3.gif
ing thing.Ignorant, and mis-educated people want to get up-in-arms over the wrong thing.

They arent, their are Caucasian.
laugh.gif

Wrong. Negro/Black is a color, African-American is a term for a ethnic nationality.
I could care less about what generalization you try to attach to me..but if I don't call you out your name
don't call me out mines.
For that detaches my culture and relation to my ancestors,
"Negro" is a term for a bastardized people.

I'll give you that, but your included.

Hot damn.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif
censoredua3.gif
ing thing.Ignorant, and mis-educated people want to get up-in-arms over the wrong thing.

They arent, theY'RE are Caucasian.
laugh.gif

Wrong. Negro/Black is a color, African-American is a term for a ethnic nationality.
I couldNT care less about what generalization you try to attach to me..but if I don't call you out your name
don't call me out mines.

get outta here. I know what each means. The point is that getting all bent up over it is fruitless. Just pick one. Negro is not a "bastardized" term. The N-word with a or er is. But I bet the same people getting all butt hurt about Negro, arent getting butt hurt over the frequent use of N----a or its brother n-----er.

Originally Posted by kronkite1992

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

The word negro is only offensive because it sounds outdated and conjures up memories of times of high racial tension in the history of America. With that being said Negro means black.
exactly.
i think it makes you look dumb to get offended by this.
white : black / caucasian : negro
x2

I wrote on my census and my recent jury duty survey in the other section "Stolen African"

I advise all black skinned ppl to do so.

It's always comedy when someone tries to type an educated response yet can't tell the difference between your and you're.

Ok what I don't understand is if negro and Black is the same thing...what's the point of putting negro?
I'm Jamaican..best believe I'm putting black. My dad doesn't like to be referred to as African American either.

Hot damn.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif
censoredua3.gif

laugh.gif

I could care less about what generalization you try to attach to me..but if I don't call you out your name
don't call me out mines.

get outta here. I know what each means. The point is that getting all bent up over it is fruitless. Just pick one. Negro is not a "bastardized" term. The N-word with a or er is. [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]But I bet the same people getting all butt hurt about Negro, arent getting butt hurt over the frequent use of N----a or its brother n-----er[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Tell me then..what is it?[/color]
[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]What weight does it hold?[/color]
[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]What is behind "Negro" [/color]
[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]What does it state about the people?[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Not a damn thing.[/color]
[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Something Spaniards decided to tie upon the people because of their skin-tone.[/color]

Yawn.

Even from your oh so tired perspective I don't see the logic...
if you use the word N_ now all of a sudden you are one?

And even if that word runs rampant within the African community itself
what gives other "races" the means to generalize?

"Well if Africans say n_ were gonna call them n_'s"
Correct?

Hot damn.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif
censoredua3.gif

laugh.gif

don't call me out mines.

get outta here. I know what each means. The point is that getting all bent up over it is fruitless. Just pick one. Negro is not a "bastardized" term. The N-word with a or er is. [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]But I bet the same people getting all butt hurt about Negro, arent getting butt hurt over the frequent use of N----a or its brother n-----er[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Tell me then..what is it?[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]What weight does it hold?[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]What is behind "Negro" [/color]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]What does it state about the people?[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Not a damn thing.[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Something Spaniards decided to tie upon the people because of their skin-tone.[/color]

Yawn.

Even from your oh so tired perspective I don't see the logic...
if you use the word N_ now all of a sudden you are one?

And even if that word runs rampant within the African community itself
what gives other "races" the means to generalize?

"well if Africans say n_ were gonna call them n_'s"
Correct?

It's a freaking census. At some point, they have to be general. Negro = Black
eyes.gif
. There is absolutely nothing to be offended about. Just crying wolf
tired.gif

Asians = Amarillos
laugh.gif

Caucasians = Blancos
laugh.gif

Obviously the US new official language is Spanish.

Am I crying wolf or pointing out the obvious?

Its easy to vouch and lay back when your culture and existence is not on the line.

Asians = Amarillos
laugh.gif

Caucasians = Blancos
laugh.gif

Obviously the US new official language is Spanish.

Am I crying wolf or pointing out the obvious?

Its easy to vouch and lay back when your culture and existence is not on the line.
laugh.gif
You think your culture and existence is on the line because the US census used "Negro" on the census form?
Wait till you hear a rap lyric by gucci mane, or step into a lower income BLACK neighborhood. There are PLENTY of fish to fry. This is definately not one of them. I tired of black people chasing after red herrings.

Back
Top Bottom