Are you a Negro? Vol. US Census....

African American is technically someone who was born in Africa and came to America and established citizenship ....

thats not the story of my life.....i'm an american thats black...of course my roots go back to Africa but thats generations ago

I think the way Negro is pronounced in English makes it sound ugly. Italians say it like neh-grow and it's a freaking color.....we gotta get past this yo lol.

Originally Posted by Black Jesus

African American is technically someone who was born in Africa and came to America and established citizenship ....

thats not the story of my life.....i'm an american thats black...of course my roots go back to Africa but thats generations ago

That is not what African American is. It is a person who has African decent, born in America.

You already know....I checked off "Honkey ****" 
smokin.gif

How you gonna have the choice "Negro" on there like on some "yes massa" slave crap?  So stupid.

African-American is a culture, not a race.

African-Americans have their own music, food, dialects, spirituality, etc. which is what makes a culture.

That's why Africans living in America aren't really African-Americans, because they aren't of the same cultural heritage as we are, at least for the last 400 years.

African-American culture is defintely separate from mainstream American culture, but has influenced it to a certain extent, and vice versa.

Originally Posted by sn00pee

they do, they always do.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Is Person 1 of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin?[/h2]
Asked since 1970. The data collected in this question are needed by federal agencies to monitor compliance with anti-discrimination provisions, such as under the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. State and local governments may use the data to help plan and administer bilingual programs for people of Hispanic origin.

Have you even looked at the census? If you had you'd know that it is in fact not any kind of option in question "6" on my form. They did like you state ask if this person was of Hispanic origin in question 5 and has appropriate responses. In question 6 it then asks what is the persons race and nowhere does it have anything linked to what a Hispanic person would typically respond as. You can choose white, black, American Indian and then a list of other Asian choices. That is what everyone here who had confusion on that has been talking about.

Anyway the census needs some revamping.

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

African-Americans have their own music, food, dialects, spirituality, etc. which is what makes a culture.

That's why Africans living in America aren't really African-Americans, because they aren't of the same cultural heritage as we are, at least for the last 400 years.

African-American culture is defintely separate from mainstream American culture, but has influenced it to a certain extent, and vice versa.
i agree w/ this.....i'm black imo....i dont know what country my ancestors are from or anything so i'm not claiming a whole continent
laugh.gif
...only thing i know is that they were brought over during the slave trade way back when

i do wish that i knew though
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

man i almost hate to say it but every time there's a thread involving racial perspective, some white NTers make it apparent just how out of touch they can be.

if at the very least you don't see how including "negro" on the U.S. Census is backwards I don't know what to say.
If its so backwards, why do people identify themselves as being "negro"?
I hope you find someone who identifies w/the term and I hope you try to tell them how they should feel about their ancestry and what they should refer to themselves as. How out of touch are you if you can't stand to let others define themselves?

http://www.census.gov/prod/2/gen/96arc/ivatuck.pdf

I'll save you the trouble of reading - heaven forbid you should go out of your way to educate yourself; read page 17.

So this white guy is going to continue defending that 3%+ of the population who PREFER to be referred to as "Negro." I thought ignoring minorities was the white man's job, but you seem to be doing it just fine so I'll let you take over.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

The word negro is only offensive because it sounds outdated and conjures up memories of times of high racial tension in the history of America. With that being said Negro means black.

But you just said it yourself, it reminds people of a time when _'s had to drink outta separate water fountains.

How do you justify putting Negro over the likes of Black or African American?

I could see if you said African American is too long and they tryna save money on the census. But Negro and Black have the same amount of letters.

First off, let me state that this is all bull****....but being "African-American" damn sure aint a "culture", it's a nationality. Being black/sub-saharan is our race/ethnicity....

again, this is all #$##!$+$ tho...

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

First off, let me state that this is all bull****....but being "African-American" damn sure aint a "culture", it's a nationality. Being black/sub-saharan is our race/ethnicity....

again, this is all #$##!$+$ tho...

ya i agree its not a culture but honestly its not a nationality either

Back
Top Bottom