Are you a Negro? Vol. US Census....

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

Originally Posted by alan713

Why part of that word offends you guys? I see nothing wrong with that word, it's not like they called you the N word. Wouldn't calling someone black be worse? just being identified as a color, not even the correct color either.

bein serious for a sec, ive always had a slight problem with this. i always thought it was weird that i was labled as "black" but im not black. im brown.

i always referred to myself as brown. or crayola crayon brown. cuz i wear BLACK tees, i have BLACK hair, but my skin is BROWN tho.

Good point I'm going to start crossing out Black and making my own box that says Yellow

Originally Posted by sn00pee

Kinda off topic but... What am I supposed to put for race? Im Nicaraguan.... Do I put White since Im light skinned??

I'm Mexican/Guatemalan American, I put white, because I'm light skinned.

I mean, it was either White, Native American or Black/A-A/Negro

You should put hispanic. They should always have a hispanic decent choice on there.

They actually don't this time. Glad I'm not the only Hispanic that was puzzled at how I should answer question 9. I think I'm going to just bubble other and write down Mexican again.

Originally Posted by Mercenary X

I'm 1/64 black, I'm offended.

eyes.gif

No one should be offended. Yes I know in 2010 the term is offensive.. It is not meant to be racist either..

The reason it is on there is because in the 2000 census over 50,000 people put down "Negro".. So the census decided they should have it on there..

Nothing racist about it in this situation..I normally will point out something as racist if it is.. This is not really the case.

Originally Posted by West2East

Kinda off topic but... What am I supposed to put for race? Im Nicaraguan.... Do I put White since Im light skinned??

You should put hispanic. They should always have a hispanic decent choice on there.

They actually don't this time. Glad I'm not the only Hispanic that was puzzled at how I should answer question 9. I think I'm going to just bubble other and write down Mexican again.

they do, they always do.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Is Person 1 of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin?[/h2]
Asked since 1970. The data collected in this question are needed by federal agencies to monitor compliance with anti-discrimination provisions, such as under the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. State and local governments may use the data to help plan and administer bilingual programs for people of Hispanic origin.

How is negro any more offensive than "black" or "African-American?"

Sure, its not fair to tell people when/why they should be offended but lets hash this out...

Black: I can't think of many more demeaning things to do to members of a race than to attach a mildly accurate color to their entire culture. If the census only said "Black" and "White" it would have to say "Yellow" and "Brown" and everyone would be up in arms over that. Yes, I am aware of the fact that "negro" means black. Spare me.

African-American: Obviously, not all "blacks" in the United States identify w/their African ancestors. And I suppose your views on evolution would determine whether or not you even believed in varying degrees of ancestry but that's another issue. So African-American, alone, is far from sufficient for anyone from the Caribbean.

Negro: The term has been in use for centuries and some people actually identify w/it, believe it or not. Some folks do not identify w/Africa or something as simple as a color. Yes, "negro" translates to "black" but that's only relevant to the etymology of the word because in the Unites States (believe it or not, we speak English here) the term encompasses a group of people more accurately than "black" ever could.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

laugh.gif
, I prefer African-American..

People are not going to adjust to the term "Negro" well....

Do you understand why/where "negro" is listed on the Census? Have you even READ the Census?
Don't even reply to this. I'll save you the hassle of checking your mail and obeying the law. "Negro" is one of many options on the Census. Nobody has to "adjust" to the term. If you don't identify w/it, don't claim to be "negro." Done. No adjustment necessary. If you look @the Census it clearly says "Black, African Am or Negro." You might want to revisit the definition of "or;" could be useful in life. And please don't try to get cute and make an argument based on boolean logic.

This is all nonsense. There's a box for you to create your own race. If you don't feel like you're being properly acknowledged just make up your own race and save us all a lot of time.

TacC4 wrote:
Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

laugh.gif
, I prefer African-American..

People are not going to adjust to the term "Negro" well....

Do you understand why/where "negro" is listed on the Census? Have you even READ the Census?
Don't even reply to this. I'll save you the hassle of checking your mail and obeying the law. "Negro" is one of many options on the Census. Nobody has to "adjust" to the term. If you don't identify w/it, don't claim to be "negro." Done. No adjustment necessary. If you look @the Census it clearly says "Black, African Am or Negro." You might want to revisit the definition of "or;" could be useful in life. And please don't try to get cute and make an argument based on boolean logic.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Wat the hell is this negro rambling about

man i almost hate to say it but every time there's a thread involving racial perspective, some white NTers make it apparent just how out of touch they can be.

if at the very least you don't see how including "negro" on the U.S. Census is backwards I don't know what to say.

Originally Posted by THE FAME

Ignorant, and mis-educated people want to get up-in-arms over the wrong thing.
They arent, their are Caucasian.
laugh.gif

Wrong. Negro/Black is a color, African-American is a term for a ethnic nationality.
I could care less about what generalization you try to attach to me..but if I don't call you out your name
don't call me out
mines.

For that detaches my culture and relation to my ancestors,
"Negro" is a term for a bastardized people.

I'll give you that, but your included.

laugh.gif
but in all seriousness, can't we just just get over it? i think it's funny how critical people are over a word like "negro" when other people are just as comfortable calling each other the "n-word." and that lady in the video talking about we refer to obama as an "african american" president... get that +@+$ outta here, we all call him a "black" president...

Originally Posted by Tetsujin23

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

#@*# the census

word. mines in the trash
pimp.gif

I was wondering how long it would take for a "cool guy" to post this.
laugh.gif

On a sidenote, it's %$! backwards to ask someone what race they are. We are all of the human race, you would think that in this day in age they would put ethnicity
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by West2East

same problem i had i put white

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

#@*# the census

word. mines in the trash
pimp.gif
why would you do that?...that only means less federal money going to your state/county/town
Co-sign. Plus it takes likes 2 minutes, and...

TITLE 13 - CENSUS
CHAPTER 7 - OFFENSES AND PENALTIES

SUBCHAPTER II - OTHER PERSONS

Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.

(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

#@*# the census

word. mines in the trash
pimp.gif
why would you do that?...that only means less federal money going to your state/county/town
Co-sign. Plus it takes likes 2 minutes, and...

TITLE 13 - CENSUS
CHAPTER 7 - OFFENSES AND PENALTIES

SUBCHAPTER II - OTHER PERSONS

Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.

(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500.
BUT THOSE GUYS ARE SO KEWL!!
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom