FAT Shaming

It takes a lot of work to get fat, and to sustain it is nothing short of impressive. I came to this realization yesterday morning when I went to Burger King for breakfast and ordered the 2 for $4 croissant sandwiches with sausage, egg, cheese. Each sandwich is 500 calories. I felt like it took everything out of me. I thought to myself, I would have to do this again?! (to meet my 2000 calorie quota). Y'all fatties got my respect.

I feel da same about alcoholics too

Yeah I had to make a concerted effort to gain weight after my lung collapsed back in 2012. I was 6'1" and 145 pounds at the time and my pulmonologist told me I needed to gain weight. Took 6 months of eating egg sandwiches, fast food, and drinking a bunch of beer, but I ended up gaining 40 pounds at my peak. I had to really go out of my way to approach getting fat. :lol:

It takes a lot of work to get fat, and to sustain it is nothing short of impressive. I came to this realization yesterday morning when I went to Burger King for breakfast and ordered the 2 for $4 croissant sandwiches with sausage, egg, cheese. Each sandwich is 500 calories. I felt like it took everything out of me. I thought to myself, I would have to do this again?! (to meet my 2000 calorie quota). Y'all fatties got my respect.
No need to be a jerk .
I feel da same about alcoholics too
they get the shakes b/c from the poison, so blaze a spliff instead.
smoke one.gif

Fast Food Marketing

For example, a recent study showed that branding the same food as a “salad special” versus “pasta special,” or as “fruit chews” versus “candy chews” increased dieters' perceptions of the healthfulness or tastiness of the food as well as its actual consumption.

Beyond the name of the food, communication about the nutrient composition and the presence (and number) of specific macro nutrients or ingredients (especially fat content, but also energy density, fiber, sugar content, unfamiliar long-worded ingredients, and so on) can strongly impact food expectations. As with any communication, the framing of the information matters also for nutrition information. Food is perceived to be leaner and higher quality when labeled “75% fat-free” than “25% fat.” For example, vinegar improves the taste of beer, but only when it is described as a “special ingredient,” not when it is described as vinegar, and only when the description is provided prior to the consumption. This suggests that branding influences the interpretation of the sensory experience and does not just modify the retrospective interpretation of the experience. In fact, marketing descriptions of a milkshake as “indulgent” or “sensible” influences physiological satiation, as measured by gut peptide ghrelin. Neuroimaging studies confirm that these marketing actions influence not just self-reported liking, but also its neural representations, suggesting that these effects are not merely influenced by social cues and that marketing actions modify how much people actually enjoy consuming the food.

Pester Power: Food marketing aims at children due to proven research about the increased influence of children in food shopping decisions..coined "pester power."

- Pester power marketing targets children who, unable to purchase products for themselves, nag, pester and beleaguer their parents into purchasing unhealthy food products for them. In 2004, it was estimated that children between the ages of four and twelve directly influenced $330 billion of adult purchasing. To capitalize on this market, the marketing industry has “developed an entire set of strategies for enhancing . . . kidfluence, the nag factor, or pester power.

- Research shows that the aggressive marketing and advertising of high-calorie, unhealthy foods to children are contributing to today’s childhood obesity epidemic. Currently, almost one-third of children in the U.S. are obese or overweight.

- The amount of money that the food industry currently spends on marketing and advertising to influence what children choose to eat is twice the amount spent a decade ago. Young children ages 12 and under are especially vulnerable to these marketing and advertising strategies because they are developmentally less able to comprehend their intent.

- McDonaldʼs Happy Meal toys are an example of a pester power premium used by the quick service restaurant industry.

- For example, in one study parents self-reported honoring childrenʼs requests for soft drinks 60% of the time, cookies 50% of the time and candy 45% of the time.

Smoking Torches of Freedom

Bernays believed “The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society.” As a result, Bernays stated that he could encourage women to smoke by linking cigarettes to notions of freedom and rebellion. In 1989, Bernays sought to end the stigma around women smoking in public by creating the campaign “Torches of Freedom.” Interestingly, selling cigarettes was a passion rather than occupation for Hill, and Lucky Strike was his particular favourite, as he was able to elevate it to be America’s best-selling tobacco brand. Hill realized that if he could get women to smoke outdoors, the company could double their female market. Bernays consulted Dr. A. A. Brill, a psychoanalyst, who explained that it was natural for women to want to smoke, and that the push for emancipation has suppressed the feminine desires. Since tobacco products were equated with men, women began to see cigarettes as torches of freedom. In 1929, Bernays encouraged women to march down Fifth Avenue during the Easter parade in New York City, and protest against gender inequality. Bernays telegrammed thirty debutantes from a friend at Vogue to participate in the demonstration, encouraging them to combat the prejudice against women smokers. There were hopes that prominent figures from the Women’s Movement and Churches would join to show unity in the acceptance of female smokers. It gained a vast amount of coverage and allowed women to feel confident about smoking in public despite potential ridicule. Marches also took place in Boston, Detroit, and San Francisco, and newspapers across the country published stories on it. Bernays central idea was to manipulate the opinion and values of the consumer, and to break down the appeal of cigarettes through networking and media. The success of expanding the market to include women related to the association of cigarettes with broader social change. Smoking was a torch of liberty and freedom, in that it was promoted as a substitute for the ballot. The advertisement above demonstrates the message Bernays sought to send.

Last edited:
Think it really depends on whether youre an endomorph or an ectomorph. I forget which is which tho.

I'm a mesomorph, it has its perks and downsides. I gain muscle very easily but it can make losing weight difficult. No matter how much cardio I do, if I keep lifting I still look OD brolic.

Heart failure is number 1 killer. Shame really is on these industries allowing and shelling out people to get fat for money. Psychological warfare. Food fraud/crime has its roots
You bring that up and people get upset and say you’re fat shaming and “big is beautiful.”

Instead of bringing up the health issues (especially now with covid) and try to better people’s diet, you’ll get that conversation turned quick into victimization

All jokes aside a lot of thin people die of heart failure and heart disease for various reasons. It isn't only a "fat person disease" although being obese is a common contributing factor.

All jokes aside a lot of thin people die of heart failure and heart disease for various reasons. It isn't only a "fat person disease" although being obese is a common contributing factor.
I’m sure there’s skinny people who eat like ****, just can’t get weight. And they’ll be prone to the same stuff the obese person is

But I’ll put my money on the person weighing 375 lb to catch some heart issues before the person who weighs 160 lb does any day

You should not dehumanize people for being fat. that's definitely terrible.
and a lot of people use "health concerns" as an excuse to dehumanize people.

But you also shouldn't lie...
"all bodies are beautiful" is a wonderful sentiment

but pretending like being a fat woman doesn't significantly curtail your dating opportunities isn't really helpful either

now even if it's true that the fixation on women's bodies and weight is mostly a result of the patriarchy/social conditioning...

unless you plan on erasing a eons of social conditioning, in the lifespan of current adult woman...
seems to me that it's inescapably true, that f you are a fat woman. all things being equal you are better off losing some weight.

I’m sure there’s skinny people who eat like ****, just can’t get weight. And they’ll be prone to the same stuff the obese person is

But I’ll put my money on the person weighing 375 lb to catch some heart issues before the person who weighs 160 lb does any day

I mean there's stuff like high blood pressure and diabetes that also affects "nonfat" folks. Kidney disease, congenital things etc. drugs and Smoking is a bug one.

All jokes aside this is a terrible comparison. Might as well say people who don’t smoke also get cancer so 🤷🏽‍♂️

If you read what I said properly I said obesity is a major contributing factor but there are other major ones people who are laymen to medicine ignore.

A good percentage of people with metabolic syndromes like high blood pressure, diabetes, hyperlipidemia are not "fat". Simple aging already puts you at risk for heart disease. Not everyone who drinks and smokes is "fat" and those are very strong risk factors. Genetics is another big one.

In fact there is a specific type of obesity that has a stronger link based on body type. People who carry weight specifically around their gut>>>>around their butt and legs tend to be affected more.

So if you have one of those skinny bodies with a lot of belly visceral fat you in trouble.

If you read what I said properly I said obesity is a major contributing factor but there are other major ones people who are laymen to medicine ignore.

A good percentage of people with metabolic syndromes like high blood pressure, diabetes, hyperlipidemia are not "fat". Simple aging already puts you at risk for heart disease. Not everyone who drinks and smokes is "fat" and those are very strong risk factors. Genetics is another big one.

In fact there is a specific type of obesity that has a stronger link based on body type. People who carry weight specifically around their gut>>>>around their butt and legs tend to be affected more.

So if you have one of those skinny bodies with a lot of belly visceral fat you in trouble.
Do you even understand how body fat is measured? Do you understand how BMI is measured? Sounds like you don’t

Do you even understand how body fat is measured? Do you understand how BMI is measured? Sounds like you don’t

Lol nothing about what I said sounds like I don't know what BMI is. Your reading comprehension is VERY suspect even for NT levels.

I'm saying there is evidence that distribution of weight and body shape is just as or even more important. Two people can weigh the same and the person with the shape that distributes more fat to the viscera rather than extremities is at a higher risk.

Even something like stress which elevates your cortisol levels is strongly associated with heart disease and MIs.

Race is a factor as well, with poor control of blood pressure amongst African Americans being strongly genetic. Hospitals are full of black men dying of heart disease who aren't "fat" at all.

People with COPD, can classically have an almost cachetic body type, they die of heart disease very commonly.

Last edited:
You bring that up and people get upset and say you’re fat shaming and “big is beautiful.”

Instead of bringing up the health issues (especially now with covid) and try to better people’s diet, you’ll get that conversation turned quick into victimization
ever watch a big person eat? They do it slow and with satisfaction.. like it’s a coping mechanism. i used to be 320 and eating was therapeutic. Until Doc wants to push pills on ya to decrease blood pressure and more drugs to fight gout and more pills to fight depression/anxiety.. **** that, i’m just gona eat water lol

Lol nothing about what I said sounds like I don't know what BMI is. Your reading comprehension is VERY suspect even for NT levels.

I'm saying there is evidence that distribution of weight and body shape is just as or even more important. Two people can weigh the same and the person with the shape that distributes more fat to the viscera rather than extremities is at a higher risk.
What does this have to do with the topic? We’re talking about fat people and obese related problems and you’re rambling about some random health related topics. Sounds like you don’t know what you’re talking about in general but quickly Google search something to post. Again, your comparison to “well thin people can get it too” is an idiotic take you refuse to step off of.

I get it. Minus whale say people of all colors, shapes and sizes die :lol: . Fat people aren’t the only people dying :lol:

Yes people of all shapes, sizes and colors have health issues that can kill them. But I’m putting my money on the person weighing 375 lbs to probably be at higher risk.

Lizzo’s fat *** out here thinking she’s Naomi Campbell, encouraging young girls to be obese and it’s ok

What does this have to do with the topic? We’re talking about fat people and obese related problems and you’re rambling about some random health related topics. Sounds like you don’t know what you’re talking about in general but quickly Google search something to post. Again, your comparison to “well thin people can get it too” is an idiotic take you refuse to step off of.

It has a lot to do with the topic. I was directly addressing someone who brought up obesity and heart disease.. I trained in this stuff and have a degree that gives me the scientific authority to discuss it. I'm not youtube Karen. You're just mad I didn't just dismiss simply fat being the cause of heart disease in this country. Just say you're unsophisticated enough to discuss causes of heart disease and keep it moving. :lol:

The burden of heart disease in this country is multifactorial, if we dismiss it as a "fat person" disease nothing is going to change. Yes losing weight goes a long way but there are other important contributing factors I laid out.

You were discussing obesity related problems and I said the disruption of said obesity matters. Visceral fat is worse. Your body shape in addition to being obese matters.

A scientific journal, not that you read them or have access to it. But I didn't make this up. If you're "apple" shaped you fare worse than people who are "pear" shaped.

Back
Top Bottom