Frlend of the people thread... wlll lt be Good?

I like this tape. Lyrically its dope and other than the first two tracks I really can enjoy everything else after one listen. I agree that some of the beats will have to grow on me....but this is not like Lasers where I got the feeling that certain tracks just were not good and I would never feel them.

Standout tracks for me after one liste are Double Burger W/Cheese (great concept), WWJD, Life Death And Love From SF, and The End of The World.

To the people saying they wish he'd just rap over hip-hop beats...

Whether he openly admits it or not, Lupe wants to be huge, like mainstream huge. And we're past the age where you can be mainstream huge with just a beat and 3 verses and a hook. All the biggest rappers sing or autotune now (Kanye, Wayne, Drake). Jay-Z is the last of a dying breed and even his most recent hits have had as much to do with him as with Alicia Keys or Rihanna or Kanye.

So because Lupe is not the singer/autotune type, he's trying to do something else to change up the sound and not just sound like a 3 verse rapper that the mainstream has become tired of. He has to bring in these Dubstep beats and make songs like Lightwork (which is
pimp.gif
btw).

Basically, get used to it, the old Lupe is not coming back. Maybe it's a good thing, maybe it's not, but this is what he's going to be.

I agree with Persia FLy

I also think He wants to be a huge artist, but on his own merit as much as possible

I also think he is afraid he can't top his old music and lyrics which was over soul beats, so he tries to move forward

Double Burger with Cheese is DOPE

the way he ties together black cinema movies from the 90's

Love electronic music but I'm usually not a fan when it's mixed with hip-hop, that being said this tape is dope as $%$$ IMO. Lupe picked some great songs to go in over.

Originally Posted by FlacoBey

Originally Posted by Tupack Shaker

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

laugh.gif
We don't always agree on *%+# on this board but I'm glad you saw right through that post. One of the greatest pieces of hip-hop material ever made? Huh? So did Lupe waste this "historic" material on a mixtape instead of putting it on Lasers?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Still want someone to explain to me what Lupe does that other rappers only dream about, including rappers like Jay, Nas, Pac, etc. who've penned acclaimed material that reach a global audience...
they cant answer
roll.gif
I can't think of too many other rappers who use of double entendres, metaphors, etc are better than Lupe's.
Sure, but this ties into the point I made earlier. As a fan of the art I can appreciate the entendres, but other all-timers aren't "dreaming" of being Lupe when they've already mastered the craft of balancing lyricism, songwriting, and accessibility to a global audience (and gain the fame and acclaim that goes with it). Record label disputes or not, that's the jump Lupe needs to make if he wants to be in the upper pantheon, and LASERS ain't gonna cut it imo.

Which is why this post makes alot of sense:
Whether he openly admits it or not, Lupe wants to be huge, like mainstream huge. And we're past the age where you can be mainstream huge with just a beat and 3 verses and a hook. All the biggest rappers sing or autotune now (Kanye, Wayne, Drake). Jay-Z is the last of a dying breed and even his most recent hits have had as much to do with him as with Alicia Keys or Rihanna or Kanye.

So because Lupe is not the singer/autotune type, he's trying to do something else to change up the sound and not just sound like a 3 verse rapper that the mainstream has become tired of. He has to bring in these Dubstep beats and make songs like Lightwork (which is
pimp.gif
btw).
PersiaFly nailed it with this one.

Mixtape is nice.. Lyrically its there, the beats may have to grow on me a bit. 
Good looks on that cover
pimp.gif

I agree that Lu going in on these beats is refreshing... Its different from his usual, but its not forced.

Super Cold lyrically is just
sick.gif
The way each bar connects with the next is
30t6p3b.gif

FOTP and Lasers are his acquaintance with this type of music.

very few artists can come out and succeed at the mainstream level right away.

he is merely adjusting his flow and still be able to say all he wants to say.

had he dumbed it down, he would have been successful a long time ago.

Lyrics are on point. Needless to say I'm already feeling this 100x more than Lasers. Definitely an Enemy of the State flow... but he's been on that since.. well Enemy of the State. 
But yea, "Unclassifiable" is right

Damn, I like this. It's different. It's definitely not trashy lasers. It's a nice sound, I kinda expected Lupe to get onto these types of beats especially since he is kinda a geeky type of rapper (if that makes sense)

This was cool
pimp.gif
Definitely better than EOTS and Lasers. I know a lot of ppl probably got turned off immediately with the first two joints which feel like throwaway dubstep trash tracks but after that it's a dope tape.

Lyrically, Lu is on point throughout. Most of the songs are good to great. Some of the dubstep tracks or just the ones with this new sound everybody else seems to be doing are just plain bad while other attempts work out real well. Aint mad that he didn't strictly do that boom bap/soul sample. I don't mind new sounds at all just terrible music that tries to get the pass by ppl labeling it "different" and "new"

Favs are Double Burger W/ Cheese, Joaquin Phoenix, Lightwork, SLR, Super Cold, and The End Of The World.

When he goes in on the subjects of radio, Atlantic / the industry, & fame in Lupe Back
eek.gif
Then bringing in Kurt Cobain to further get his point across.
eek.gif

Lupe said that "Food & Liquor II" will be a hip-hop album (it is called "The Great American Rap Album" after all - so I believe him).

So if you don't like this Lupe, you should be glad he's getting this experiment out now.

And don't compare this to Lasers. Just cause it doesn't sound hip-hop doesn't mean it's all the same.

Back
Top Bottom