Hip Hop Saved My Life based on Slim Thug's Career

[h1]Lupe Fiasco's Latest Single, 'Hip-Hop Saved My Life,' Honors Southern Rap Heroes Bun B, SlimThug[/h1][h2]MC reveals that the Cool track, which is dedicated to Bun, was based on Slim Thug's career.[/h2]
By Jayson Rodriguez, with reporting by Jasmine Dotiwala

Lupe Fiasco's Latest Single, 'Hip-Hop Saved My Life,' Honors Southern Rap Heroes Bun B, Slim Thug

MC reveals that the Cool track, which is dedicated to Bun, was based on Slim Thug's career.

By Jayson Rodriguez, with reporting by Jasmine Dotiwala

He's a backpack rapper with a penchant for flashy items and a knack for forgetting A Tribe Called Quest lyrics at the wrong time.

But Lupe Fiasco's recent single, "Hip-Hop Saved My Life," is as endearing a record as any MC could put together. The song is from hissophomore set, The Cool.

And he's dedicated it not to one, but two of the game's finest: Bun B and Slim Thug.

"With 'Hip-Hop Saved My Life,' I attempted to make 'Kick, Push,' but for rappers," he explained to MTV Base. "To give a realbasic play-by-play of the life of a rapper before he makes it - if he ever makes it, because you can get stuck in that and be trying to make it for the rest ofyour life."

The genesis of the track came when the Chicago lyricist went to Houston for a show. The rapper said the town was "spaced-out," in terms of thedistance between things, and it gave the city a feel as if there wasn't much to do. So UGK legend Bun B picked up Lupe and led him on a tour of H-Town.

"He had his wife Queenie with him, and I was just sitting back, soaking it all in, and I was just thinking, 'How can I pay Bun B back?' "Lupe recalled.

The result was "Hip-Hop Saved My Life." The track is a three-part narrative following a rapper putting together a track from scratch, goingthrough the struggles of performing at open-mic sessions, then hearing a freestyle of his make it on the radio.

When Lupe filmed the video in Houston, Slim Thug - who makes a cameo in the clip - approached the MC and asked if the song was about him.

"My DJ first heard the record when Lupe's album came out," Slim Thug told MTV News. "I went on iTunes and bought it and was surprised ithad a lot to do about me. I don't think it's entirely about me, but he took pieces of my hustle and put it in the song. We might not have the same typeof rap style, but I respect him. I knew a lot of people that liked him when he first came out and checked him out, and he was jammin'. And anyonethat's jammin' is all right with me. When he came to shoot the video, I got the call from Dr. Teeth, who directed it, and I was down. I brought some ofmy cars, you know, with the candy paint, and we did it."

"It is based on Slim Thug," Lupe revealed. "I was with him when we shot the video, and he was like, 'Yo, is this song about me?' Ididn't know at the time, but there was a situation in Houston where they were trying to figure out who the song was about. Was it about Slim Thug? Was itabout Chamillionaire? And it was about Slim Thug, but [then] I dedicated the song to Bun. I called him up and said, 'Yo, Bun, I've got a song for you,check it out,' and he was the first person to hear it. I sent it to him and he was like, 'Yo, it's all good.' "

i always wondered that... like y he picked houston... and y dude was from the north...

It never even hit me that it was about a rapper. I did kinda question the same though. Why a dude from Houston? Then went specific and said he was from theNorthside. That %%% about Bun takin' him around the city is coo though. Bun's a real coo dude.

Good post, listening to the Houston part and screwed part did always make me wonder also

Pimp used to always say the realest rapper he knew was Slim Thug...I never thought it was about an acutal rapper tho, just Lupe on his conceptual vividstorytelling *!#*...

[color= rgb(0, 255, 153)]I figured he was talkin' about Thugga loosely. Knowing that makes me appreciate the songmore ...[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 255, 153)]Where TF is the follow-up to Already Platinum tho ... ???[/color]
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

So UGK legend Bun B picked up Lupe and led him on a tour of H-Town.

my dude is mad cool
pimp.gif

When he came to shoot the video, I got the call from Dr. Teeth, who directed it, and I was down. I brought some of my cars, you know, with the candy paint, and we did it."
that made me laugh for some reason
laugh.gif

Personally, I never like Slim Thug's music...... but his whips on CRIBS are siiiiiick. Plus he wears all blue and calls shots like a bos... I ain'tcomplaining
laugh.gif

Besides that though, I think this song is one of the few songs on The Cool that I can really get with. It's "grounded", nah mean? As nice as Lupeis, 2/3 of everything he says is so esoteric that I just end up hitting the fast forward button. I liked when he was just "different and dope" nowhe's completely "weird and dope" ...and self righteous about it. Man I still don't get most of Dumb it Down... and I'm not eventhe "Sing a song for the ++%+%%# __!" type of rap fan.
smh.gif
laugh.gif

My point is, H.H.S.M.L., Kick Push, He Say She Say, and joints like that are what make me like "album Lupe". My favorite Lupe song so far is TwilightZone, but I don't wanna hear that on an album. I want to hear real life, real talk, well rounded joints I don't really care to buy anotherLupe album if it's gonna sound like the last chapter of The Never Ending Story.

Bun B seem like a real genuine dude. Nobody ever got anything bad to say about Bun.

Slim we need a new joint ASAP

bun is prolly one of the most well liked rappers in the game... i aint never heard somebody speak bad about bun...

Reps nawf side so he rocks them braids...

That let me know exactly who we was talkin about and smh I heard slim turned in Boss of all bosses to geffen an they rejected the project an
told him go re-record but the theme song is on point imo.

Back
Top Bottom