Hiring people on craigslist to do work (vol. I'm screwed) **Update pg 5 PICS**

Alright fam... I need to vent and possibly get some advice...

I recently hired a guy to do a job on craigslist. He was supposed to specifically dig up dirt for a flowerbed that I already had edged up. The job was almost impossible to do it myself and he said he could get the job done quicker and it shouldn't take long.

We had a verbal agreement, with no signed contract.

Fast-forward. He got to my house at 8am yesterday and said he was going to get started... after telling him that we had light rain the night before, he insisted that it would not take long and he will finish before more rain came down. Later on he called me at 1pm to tell me that he couldn't finish because it was raining too much. Something told me to go home and see the progress that was made..

When I got home on my lunch break, I was so pissed that I couldn't see or think. What I saw was my front yard, trashed, grass ruined, with dirt and his bobcat sitting on my front lawn. 
eek.gif
 My trip to work usually takes 45 minutes and by the time I was 5 minutes away from my job, I didn't realize how I even got there, thats how angry I was.

My question is this? I know it may be too late when I see a logical response but what step do I need to take in order to correct this?

Keep in mind, nothing was cleared by HOA because they take too long to approve anything. And he quoted me $500.00 to do the job

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

Alright fam... I need to vent and possibly get some advice...

I recently hired a guy to do a job on craigslist. He was supposed to specifically dig up dirt for a flowerbed that I already had edged up. The job was almost impossible to do it myself and he said he could get the job done quicker and it shouldn't take long.

We had a verbal agreement, with no signed contract.

Fast-forward. He got to my house at 8am yesterday and said he was going to get started... after telling him that we had light rain the night before, he insisted that it would not take long and he will finish before more rain came down. Later on he called me at 1pm to tell me that he couldn't finish because it was raining too much. Something told me to go home and see the progress that was made..

When I got home on my lunch break, I was so pissed that I couldn't see or think. What I saw was my front yard, trashed, grass ruined, with dirt and his bobcat sitting on my front lawn. 
eek.gif
 My trip to work usually takes 45 minutes and by the time I was 5 minutes away from my job, I didn't realize how I even got there, thats how angry I was.

My question is this? I know it may be too late when I see a logical response but what step do I need to take in order to correct this?

Keep in mind, nothing was cleared by HOA because they take too long to approve anything. And he quoted me $500.00 to do the job

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

I only took before pictures, I threw up looking at the mess that was mad after but one of my neighbors was kind enough to look out for me and take pics. The rest of my neighbors don't even wanna look at me

I only took before pictures, I threw up looking at the mess that was mad after but one of my neighbors was kind enough to look out for me and take pics. The rest of my neighbors don't even wanna look at me

Oh yea, he said he was going to finish today but the ground is still wet because it rained last night and it's supposed to be sunny for the rest of the weekend.
But still, I know anything that involves digging can be a little messy, but DAMN!

Oh yea, he said he was going to finish today but the ground is still wet because it rained last night and it's supposed to be sunny for the rest of the weekend.
But still, I know anything that involves digging can be a little messy, but DAMN!

Then you're good. Write up a contract and then tell him you're going to need a newer quote. Cover the area with tarps in the mean time.

Then you're good. Write up a contract and then tell him you're going to need a newer quote. Cover the area with tarps in the mean time.

not to be funny or anything, but could you post the before pics you took & the after pics your neighbors took? I would like to see how bad it is to the point your other neighbors cant even look at you

not to be funny or anything, but could you post the before pics you took & the after pics your neighbors took? I would like to see how bad it is to the point your other neighbors cant even look at you

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

I was expecting the dude to have run off with your money.  At least he did his job.
ohwell.gif

I was expecting the dude to have run off with your money.  At least he did his job.
ohwell.gif

Those are before pics of the new house I just got in November, the bermuda sod is finally starting to root and turn green.
Here's one... I gotta go talk to my neighbors that are standing in the front like it's a sideshow.
I didn't pay him yet

Those are before pics of the new house I just got in November, the bermuda sod is finally starting to root and turn green.
Here's one... I gotta go talk to my neighbors that are standing in the front like it's a sideshow.
I didn't pay him yet

Back
Top Bottom