HUF San Fransisco closing down...sad

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

WHAT?

frown.gif

Man. Haight just won't be the same for me without HUF.

Huf was never on Haight, cool kid. 
Did I ever say it was on Haight? Try "The Haight."
eyes.gif
You're much more Bay than I am, you're right.

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

WHAT?

frown.gif

Man. Haight just won't be the same for me without HUF.

Huf was never on Haight, cool kid. 
Did I ever say it was on Haight? Try "The Haight."
eyes.gif
You're much more Bay than I am, you're right.

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by bobbytripledigits

What happened to sneaker culture in the Bay? I always looked to the Bay to be the hub of the sneaker-collecting universe, but it has tapered off dramatically over the past 5 years. Why do you guys think that is? I have my own theories, many attributed to Nike itself

I blame the Stüssy Mafia. 
nerd.gif

Economy. Money. Sneakers running it's course and the whole limited thing is not what it used to be. There has been a downfall in not just sneaker culture, but the whole streetwear culture in general. The brands that stay alive are the chosen few but a lot of companies have fallen to their ends. It's not what it used to be for sure and HUF closing it's doors is just more evidence of that. I still don't understand why t-shirts should be $30 still when most t-shirts from things like skateboard companies are $20.

And I said this in the other post in the NorCal thread but the thing that I loved about HUF aside from the clothes and aside from the hype was that it was a Bay Area/SF thing. It was such a flagship shop and was something to be proud of in a way just like the Hundreds are to LA. Now that they are going to be housed primarily in LA, it will not be the same. Still, they are doing it for the better of their company and that is totally understandable. SF still has Rebel 8, Benny Gold, TRUE, FTC and DLXSF anyways.

What happened to sneaker culture in the Bay? I always looked to the Bay to be the hub of the sneaker-collecting universe, but it has tapered off dramatically over the past 5 years. Why do you guys think that is? I have my own theories, many attributed to Nike itself

I blame the Stüssy Mafia. 
nerd.gif

Economy. Money. Sneakers running it's course and the whole limited thing is not what it used to be. There has been a downfall in not just sneaker culture, but the whole streetwear culture in general. The brands that stay alive are the chosen few but a lot of companies have fallen to their ends. It's not what it used to be for sure and HUF closing it's doors is just more evidence of that. I still don't understand why t-shirts should be $30 still when most t-shirts from things like skateboard companies are $20.

And I said this in the other post in the NorCal thread but the thing that I loved about HUF aside from the clothes and aside from the hype was that it was a Bay Area/SF thing. It was such a flagship shop and was something to be proud of in a way just like the Hundreds are to LA. Now that they are going to be housed primarily in LA, it will not be the same. Still, they are doing it for the better of their company and that is totally understandable. SF still has Rebel 8, Benny Gold, TRUE, FTC and DLXSF anyways.

Bad customer service = no business.
Why do you think Upper Playground is still in business after all these years? 

Maybe because their customer service is 
eek.gif
, whether you're wearing 

your $500 Supreme HIs your mommy bought you or some K-Swiss classics

with the sliding color changes on the side, don't matter to them. 

HUF workers, calm down, ya'll work in a shoe store. 

Bad customer service = no business.
Why do you think Upper Playground is still in business after all these years? 

Maybe because their customer service is 
eek.gif
, whether you're wearing 

your $500 Supreme HIs your mommy bought you or some K-Swiss classics

with the sliding color changes on the side, don't matter to them. 

HUF workers, calm down, ya'll work in a shoe store. 

Originally Posted by The Notorious Bum

The Hundreds will be next
laugh.gif

Aaanyways.
I can only imagine how crazy expensive your overhead is for Post
But yeah, wholesale > retail
Not as crazy expensive as you'd think.
Wholesale isn't necessarily better than retail, or vice versa. The way we see it, they work together. Retail makes sense for us because we are so control-freakish about our brand, so we have the stores to provide homebases and anchors for the company.  It kinda starts from there and trickles out to our wholesale accounts.   
They do work together only because you guys at TH do a great job at balancing both but majority of the new folks who open shop do so only because they think it's the cool thing to do. (they can always blame you when they fail 
tongue.gif
 )
I wonder if Collins (The Darkside Initiative) has anything to say about Huf SF closing down. 
nerd.gif

Anyway, I'm still waiting for your Paparazzi 2 entry. I need to replace my first one and I wanna know if it's worth dropping $124.

<3
Thanks man.
You know what, I'm home tonight and tired of working. I'll blog my Paparazzi 2 entry right now and it'll be up in a few hours. Trust me, worth it!!

On another note...

Aside from the closing of Huf in SF, I think a more relevant question is.. What happened to sneaker culture in the Bay? I always looked to the Bay to be the hub of the sneaker-collecting universe, but it has tapered off dramatically over the past 5 years. Why do you guys think that is? I have my own theories, many attributed to Nike itself. 
The sneaker culture is ALIVE and WELL in the city... It's just SB's ain't poppin as much anymore and the hype has died down and damn near faded in obscurity. I still wanna re-cop a fresh pair of Diamond dunks tho.

Real talk, Nike basketball and Jordan brand is where it's at right now... To this day cats in the bay still be 100+ deep in line early. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by The Notorious Bum

The Hundreds will be next
laugh.gif

Aaanyways.
I can only imagine how crazy expensive your overhead is for Post
But yeah, wholesale > retail
Not as crazy expensive as you'd think.
Wholesale isn't necessarily better than retail, or vice versa. The way we see it, they work together. Retail makes sense for us because we are so control-freakish about our brand, so we have the stores to provide homebases and anchors for the company.  It kinda starts from there and trickles out to our wholesale accounts.   
They do work together only because you guys at TH do a great job at balancing both but majority of the new folks who open shop do so only because they think it's the cool thing to do. (they can always blame you when they fail 
tongue.gif
 )
I wonder if Collins (The Darkside Initiative) has anything to say about Huf SF closing down. 
nerd.gif

Anyway, I'm still waiting for your Paparazzi 2 entry. I need to replace my first one and I wanna know if it's worth dropping $124.

<3
Thanks man.
You know what, I'm home tonight and tired of working. I'll blog my Paparazzi 2 entry right now and it'll be up in a few hours. Trust me, worth it!!

On another note...

Aside from the closing of Huf in SF, I think a more relevant question is.. What happened to sneaker culture in the Bay? I always looked to the Bay to be the hub of the sneaker-collecting universe, but it has tapered off dramatically over the past 5 years. Why do you guys think that is? I have my own theories, many attributed to Nike itself. 
The sneaker culture is ALIVE and WELL in the city... It's just SB's ain't poppin as much anymore and the hype has died down and damn near faded in obscurity. I still wanna re-cop a fresh pair of Diamond dunks tho.

Real talk, Nike basketball and Jordan brand is where it's at right now... To this day cats in the bay still be 100+ deep in line early. 
laugh.gif

Am I the only one that never had a bad experience at Huf?
laugh.gif

They were good peeps and is sad to see them close up shop.

bobbytripledigits wrote:
What happened to sneaker culture in the Bay? I always looked to the Bay to be the hub of the sneaker-collecting universe, but it has tapered off dramatically over the past 5 years. Why do you guys think that is? I have my own theories, many attributed to Nike itself

When something gets as big as sneakers did as fast as it did, its bound to crash just as fast. Plus, I think a lot of the people who were "collecting" simply got older and either grew out of sneakers, or life (bills, rent, etc.) began to get in the in the way. This coupled with the terrible quality of the sneakers, and shoes dropping every weekend made for a quick end.

laugh.gif

bobbytripledigits wrote:
What happened to sneaker culture in the Bay? I always looked to the Bay to be the hub of the sneaker-collecting universe, but it has tapered off dramatically over the past 5 years. Why do you guys think that is? I have my own theories, many attributed to Nike itself

When something gets as big as sneakers did as fast as it did, its bound to crash just as fast. Plus, I think a lot of the people who were "collecting" simply got older and either grew out of sneakers, or life (bills, rent, etc.) began to get in the in the way. This coupled with the terrible quality of the sneakers, and shoes dropping every weekend made for a quick end.

Haven't been to Huf in years, I think the last time I bought something from there was when they had the Goldigger Fitted and AT1's.......

As of Customer Service, Massan & Nao was the coolest people I dealt with there.

Imo...Huf should've stayed the shops on Sutter, and that's it.

Cris.

Haven't been to Huf in years, I think the last time I bought something from there was when they had the Goldigger Fitted and AT1's.......

As of Customer Service, Massan & Nao was the coolest people I dealt with there.

Imo...Huf should've stayed the shops on Sutter, and that's it.

Cris.

It's just not the SB thing. Back in the hay day, any shoe company got bought up by people in the Bay Area. I mean I knew people that started their own collection of brands just cause they wanted to be different from Nike guys. Even lesser Nike stuff like Tier Zero stuff was praised at. So different to today. Look at all that Nike Sportswear stuff. I don't think anyone really is buying that stuff up.

Even though Jordan and Nike Basketball are doing good, what about all the other shoe companies that sold tons of shoes back in the days in the Bay Area? Bape, Vans, Adidas, Cons......no one lines up for that stuff no more.

It's just not the SB thing. Back in the hay day, any shoe company got bought up by people in the Bay Area. I mean I knew people that started their own collection of brands just cause they wanted to be different from Nike guys. Even lesser Nike stuff like Tier Zero stuff was praised at. So different to today. Look at all that Nike Sportswear stuff. I don't think anyone really is buying that stuff up.

Even though Jordan and Nike Basketball are doing good, what about all the other shoe companies that sold tons of shoes back in the days in the Bay Area? Bape, Vans, Adidas, Cons......no one lines up for that stuff no more.

"I can't post from my phone so let the people know once I get to a computer I'll do a long post that's worth reading." - donpoppa

"I can't post from my phone so let the people know once I get to a computer I'll do a long post that's worth reading." - donpoppa

Originally Posted by rafsjays

laugh.gif

I've only been to SF once, and hit up Sutter twice since my hotel was on Van Ness and Geary anddidn't have a bad experience, just a simple "Hey what's up man, let me know if you need help with anything", and I was left to do my shopping. 

I experience the same customer service down here on Fairfax, I really don't know what people expect. Maybe dap and someone over your shoulder telling you the back-story on each piece you're interested in?
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by rafsjays

laugh.gif

I've only been to SF once, and hit up Sutter twice since my hotel was on Van Ness and Geary anddidn't have a bad experience, just a simple "Hey what's up man, let me know if you need help with anything", and I was left to do my shopping. 

I experience the same customer service down here on Fairfax, I really don't know what people expect. Maybe dap and someone over your shoulder telling you the back-story on each piece you're interested in?
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom