I’m starting to see why GM cars get the bad reputation that it gets.....

This is my current car.
2018 Chevrolet Impala Premier 2LZ
37CAA248-C391-465A-B530-4027163C9579.jpeg

(Pic from my iPhone 12 Pro Max)
So, here’s the thing, I notice a month and some change ago since the weather got very warm here in the DMV, my AC out the blue was blowing hot air. I thought it was just the fact that I haven’t put it on for a while due to the weather being cold. But, I notice it more as it got even hotter outside.

So, I decided to take it to the dealer since I have an extended bumper to bumper warranty for the next 4 years now that the GM bumper to bumper warranty has expired. Took it there and they decided to put Freon to recharge it. Got the car, drove off. Later that same day, I went out and discovered that my AC was still blowing hot air. Took it back and they finally noticed that it was indeed the AC evaporator and the AC compressor went out at just 31k miles on a 3 year old car..

So, now my car has been at the shop for almost a week now. If it wasn’t fir my extended warranty, it was going to cost me $3k-$4k to get both of those fixed since they have to take out my whole dashboard to get to my AC evaporator and I believe they would have take out the bumper to get to the AC compressor.

I just don’t understand, why do GM make cars with low quality issues? Apparently, this a common issue with a few of their cars. With my car only having 31k miles, it's Definitely concerning in the long run of this vehicle. I even thought about trading it in, but I’ll wait until the extended bumper to Warranty runs out and look at my options. I really like my car, but I don’t think I’m going to buy a GM car again(minus the corvette). I mean, It really depends on how this car operates and what goes on in the next 4 years.

My service advisor even told me straight up that the quality of these GM cars are at its decline right now. So, that says a lot.

Have anyone had some issues with their GM cars early on with relatively low miles?

Last edited:
I refuse. Being from Michigan, it’s blasphemous to say this, but I wouldn’t buy any cars from GM, Ford, Chrysler, to save my life.

Compare any cars from the big 3 you see on the road 10+ years old to their German, Asian counterparts. Night and day difference. Same at even 5 years, sometimes. Detroit automakers are trash.

At least they actually honored your warranty. I was under warranty when my top of the line Kia Optima Hybrid Ex ****** went out and Kia, we even dealt with corporate out of California, was just trying to charge me 12k to fix it or roll my over 20k negative equity (on a sub 2 yr old car) into a new trade in

Last edited:
yeah my homie has a jeep and he has all types of problems with it

japanese or german is my scope
The problems I've had with mine haven't been all that bad, really. The poor build quality and lack of features/creature comforts is apparent though. Car just feels kind of cheap/plastic over time. Definitely better values out there.

At least they actually honored your warranty. I was under warranty when my top of the line Kia Optima Hybrid Ex ****** went out and Kia, we even dealt with corporate out of California, was just trying to charge me 12k to fix it or roll my over 20k negative equity (on a sub 2 yr old car) into a new trade in
Holy carp! What ended up happening?

Had the same whip. Traded it for 3k over book and got it for a song to begin with🔥

That being said It was an utter pile of ****. Top 1 worst vehicle ive ever owned.

Blew ball joints up front both sides (sold at 40kish miles) threw error code that shutdown power steering.

Intake/plastic engine inserts began corroding away. Error code that wouldnt let it start stometimes.

Battery had issues

Wiring issue with trunk to where it would jus randomly open. (Super fun coming out of somewhere to see your trunk wide open)

Headlights and tires wore out prematurely because lowest possible quality.

T R A S H.

isnt there an infamous thread on NT about this? Or am I thinking about another NTER who took out an 8 year loan on a brand new Kia?

Not GM, but I drive a Jeep Wrangler and I can say with confidence that this will be the first and only Jeep I'll ever own.

Back to Japanese cars after this.
Is it an older Wrangler? Older (Grand) Cherokees & Wrangler Jeeps are some of the easiest cars to fix and parts widely available. Not the best on gas though. What's wrong w/ ur Jeep?

GM is a truck company not a sedan company. Cut your losses and trade it in for a good Japanese car if you want a sedan. Hell, you probably would get an even better sedan from Kia or Hyundai.

Had the same whip. Traded it for 3k over book and got it for a song to begin with🔥

That being said It was an utter pile of ****. Top 1 worst vehicle ive ever owned.

Blew ball joints up front both sides (sold at 40kish miles) threw error code that shutdown power steering.

Intake/plastic engine inserts began corroding away. Error code that wouldnt let it start stometimes.

Battery had issues

Wiring issue with trunk to where it would jus randomly open. (Super fun coming out of somewhere to see your trunk wide open)

Headlights and tires wore out prematurely because lowest possible quality.

T R A S H.
Yoooo, my driver side headlight(HID light) blew out at 30k miles, but I was free because of my warranty. That’s wild.

American car reputations have been low since at least the 70's. As a rule of thumb; if it's not a truck/suv, or sport/muscle car, you should probably avoid American cars. As always, your miles may vary.

You'll also do well to avoid European cars that are out of warranty. They tend to become money pits.

If you're willing to follow the owners manual, and looking for an easy ownership, you'd do well with a Japanese (not Nissan or Subaru). But you could be the unlucky guy who gets the Honda and it's a lemon. Every car purchase is dice roll, but I find that most car brand reputations are well earned.

Also, used cars are at premium at the moment. It can't hurt to see what a company like Carvana will give you for your ride. You might be able to end your headache sooner than you think.

Is it an older Wrangler? Older (Grand) Cherokees & Wrangler Jeeps are some of the easiest cars to fix and parts widely available. Not the best on gas though. What's wrong w/ ur Jeep?
2016. I listed the reasons above.

Only redeeming qualities are drivability in bad weather, relatively low depreciation, and looks.

GM is a truck company not a sedan company. Cut your losses and trade it in for a good Japanese car if you want a sedan. Hell, you probably would get an even better sedan from Kia or Hyundai.
I’m even hearing these newer GM trucks are having significant issues, also. They ranked the Cadillac Escalade as one of the worse truck based SUV’s to own.

I’m even hearing these newer GM trucks are having significant issues, also. They ranked the Cadillac Escalade as one of the worse truck based SUV’s to own.
How much of that is due to ppl's inability to upkeep maintenance or at the very learn the basic functions of their vehicles? You ask some people to point to their air filter and they'll show you an a/c vent. I've seen it.

My family has had good fortune with Silverados and Tahoes. My neighbor had issues with her Malibu. Swore off GM and bought a Ford Explorer, but has had issues with it. I'm looking at a Toyota Highlander as my next vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom