I just yelled at my boss... Update on pg 8

Originally Posted by natelav129

Soooo......
Yesterday after this all went down I contacted my internship representative (I'm a part of an intern program) and told her what happened.

Of course, she wasn't happy at all that I got blasted like that, and though she told me what I didn't wasnt the smartest, she understood.

Her suggestion was to speak with HR, or possibly another department head, to either switch departments or find another supervisor.

The funny thing is, my supervisor is completely playing that "brush it off" card today and has tried to be cool acting like nothing happened.

I fixed the problem we had with the site, so at this point i'm not really sure if I just don't even bother or try to make a move first.

This was a one time deal, but I'm not sure if it could easily happen again......

So, should I act like a little $!**% and move on, or do I get away from this $!**% with the quickness?

if your boss is trying to keep it moving, then maybe it would be beneficial for you to do the same. if she trying to make it a one time thing then i can't see how not letting it go would be bad. HOWEVER, it could also be smart to go to HR and address the issue, not that you want to make a big deal about it, but at least its documented that she did that before. at the end of the day, you want to cover your butt, not hers.

OP might as well commit seppuku, son has shamed his whole family
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by NYC game

natelav129 wrote:
No longer could I take it and without even thinking I begin to insult her knowledge of what I'm working on, her inability to give direction, and my business-like facade is gone.

Are you Caucasian ?
If so, don't worry bout it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Soooo......
Yesterday after this all went down I contacted my internship representative (I'm a part of an intern program) and told her what happened.

Of course, she wasn't happy at all that I got blasted like that, and though she told me what I didn't wasnt the smartest, she understood.

Her suggestion was to speak with HR, or possibly another department head, to either switch departments or find another supervisor.

The funny thing is, my supervisor is completely playing that "brush it off" card today and has tried to be cool acting like nothing happened.

I fixed the problem we had with the site, so at this point i'm not really sure if I just don't even bother or try to make a move first.

This was a one time deal, but I'm not sure if it could easily happen again......

So, should I act like a little $!**% and move on, or do I get away from this $!**% with the quickness?

If your boss is trying to keep it moving, then maybe it would be beneficial for you to do the same. If she's trying to make it a one time thing then I can't see how not letting it go would be bad. HOWEVER, it could also be smart to go to HR and address the issue, not that you want to make a big deal about it, but at least its documented that she did that before. at the end of the day, you want to cover your butt, not hers.
This
wink.gif

Originally Posted by snaggykicks

Originally Posted by NYC game

natelav129 wrote:
No longer could I take it and without even thinking I begin to insult her knowledge of what I'm working on, her inability to give direction, and my business-like facade is gone.

Are you Caucasian ?
If so, don't worry bout it.
wink.gif

Sad but definitely true.

Originally Posted by kiendienn

Originally Posted by TheWatcher1

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

it's 2011.. and people are soft.
She was in her office and her door was open...it's not like she paraded him outside and yelled at him to purposely make a public spectacle

and no.. that's not harrassment.. harrassment entails repeat behavior.

did u even read the op? he was "completely degrade". don't care what your technical definition of harrassment is. you can be sued / fired for that behavior. lol at a co-worker getting in someone's face in an office setting.

the only soft behavior here is a manager berating a subordinate. as if hiding behind the chain of command takes guts. a real manager has a commanding presence. things get done without resorting to this. an intern reporting a superior's inappropriate behavior is the exact opposite of being soft.

says alot about someone for even bringing up softness about workplace behavior.
it's the corporate world, nobody cares about the intern.  HR is going to side with an upper over an easily replaceable intern ANY day.

what kind of weight does an intern hold, honestly?

you can make reports with HR all day, that's just going to give your uppers more leverage to drop you.

it's 2011 in the corporate world where jobs are scarce, swallow your pride, maintain your professionalism, clock out and get your money.

if you want to talk cute all day, find a job at the disney parks.

some of yall have some cute perspectives of the corporate world on that "nobody can ever say mean hurty things to you".  can't wait to see you actually get into the corporate world.  HR isn't going to be your 1st grade teacher you tattle-tale to.
Please don't listen to this guy. 

Originally Posted by scshift

going to HR b/c a boss talked to you in mean way within earshot of other people?....seriously?

I see what you mean, but there's definitely a line between talking mean to someone and being unprofessionally disrespectful.

I feel like no matter what position one is in in the office, they should respect others.
what you feel and what you think should happen in an office is different that what actually happens in offices.
so OP got dressed down while people could hear.. that happens 

he got a snide mark sent his way by his boss.. that happens too

but to go to HR? really? for that?
lmao that dirty doesn't think the situation, as the OP described, is a big deal. dirty prolly is that type of boss. oh wait...
laugh.gif

don't ban me bro

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Um smooth things out with her. It's August 3rd... why the hell would you consider switching departments so late in the game?

Again, I agree with Dirty. Too many people I know are entitled and unaccustomed to actual criticism.

From the way OP described it though it doesn't seem like this is a simple case of just criticism being tossed his way.  I think HR should definitely be consulted in a case like this.  It doesn't really matter if she only chewed him out/degraded him in her office with the door open, fact is that other employees heard what was said and everyone knows how fast stuff like that spreads in an office.  That is definitely an HR matter.  As a superior one of your main jobs is to make sure your employees understand their job to the T and if they don't, help them through it.  This lady (again, just going from the OP) didn't seem like she wanted to help explain, just wanted to berade him for not understanding the first time.

I don't think I'll be able to handle the corporate world. All that training and rules of ethics goes out the window in situations like this, and sadly it happens all the time.

even if HR switches you to a different department, the head of that department is going to find out you got switched for snitching over "personal attacks"
laugh.gif

if you can't stand being yelled at in the corporate world, start looking at retail

some of yall are so soft.

"you have to tell on her. other people heard you get yelled at. that's defamation of character, harassment, impedes on your human rights"

please...toughen up children, corporate's not a happy go lucky environment

just let it go dog. no sense putting her in hot water unless you really hate her.

Soooo......

So, should I act like a little %!*## and move on, or do I get away from this %!*## with the quickness?
Eh
you a wuss

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

did u even read the op? he was "completely degrade". don't care what your technical definition of harrassment is. you can be sued / fired for that behavior. lol at a co-worker getting in someone's face in an office setting.

the only soft behavior here is a manager berating a subordinate. as if hiding behind the chain of command takes guts. a real manager has a commanding presence. things get done without resorting to this. an intern reporting a superior's inappropriate behavior is the exact opposite of being soft.

it's the corporate world, nobody cares about the intern.  HR is going to side with an upper over an easily replaceable intern ANY day.

you can make reports with HR all day, that's just going to give your uppers more leverage to drop you.

it's 2011 in the corporate world where jobs are scarce, swallow your pride, maintain your professionalism, clock out and get your money.

some of yall have some cute perspectives of the corporate world on that "nobody can ever say mean hurty things to you".  can't wait to see you actually get into the corporate world.  HR isn't going to be your 1st grade teacher you tattle-tale to.

laugh.gif
this

MrYoungMoney wrote
Originally Posted by sreggie101

If your boss is trying to keep it moving, then maybe it would be beneficial for you to do the same. If she's trying to make it a one time thing then I can't see how not letting it go would be bad.

Word, if shes trying to move on, move on too. But I would also suggest trying to talk it out with her. Get her to apologize and you do the same. Maybe she was just having a really bad day or something that day.You never want to burn a bridge. However if her behavior continues then report her immediately.

Id say the bridge is already burned. Are you really gonna trust her now to give you a good reference?

Snitch on her. All these people say dont snitch. Why not? You stood up for yourself against her so go finish the job. It ll teach her a lesson. And the next boss wont say ishh to you cuz he knows you ll fight back.

!%% is HR for if you not gonna use it? Dont be scared tell the HR.

Originally Posted by Orfiyus

Id say the bridge is already burned. Are you really gonna trust her now to give you a good reference?

Snitch on her. All these people say dont snitch. Why not? You stood up for yourself against her so go finish the job. It ll teach her a lesson. And the next boss wont say ishh to you cuz he knows you ll fight back.

!%% is HR for if you not gonna use it? Dont be scared tell the HR.

Professionalism is the key word, that is something you should expect when you are interning and the people above you should display that.  OP did lose his cool and that was wrong.  He should still talk to someone about it just in case to protect himself.  Make sure this incident won't hurt him when he needs a reference or to network.  She could've went and complained to someone and jeopardized his internship.  Who knows, maybe this is normal behavior from her.  If it is then op should just accept it and finish out his internship.  

if shes playing it cool just go and apologize. that is the by far the best thing you can do.

allows her to feel like you respect her and you can bypass HR

Is yelling at eachother really that bad? Idk I never worked anywhere beseides restaurants. Me and my boss get along great. But we are both hot heads and will scream at eachother and hug it out later. I'd rather just get the problem dealt with immediately than all that hr crap.

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

Why not?? He is speaking the truth
kiendienn laid it out for you.  Swallow your pride, take your criticism and move on.  #ThickskinFTW

Back
Top Bottom