infamousod's ULTIMATE RéSUMé GUIDE vol. by popular demand

BOOKMARKED!
Thanks for putting this up
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by youngjordan23

postin for later

same. pretty much the same things i've been told by teachers about writing resumes, but a little more in-depth. props for taking the time to do this
pimp.gif

i feel like my resume is sooooooooo general.

i went to a job fair with my boy and everybody looked at it and was like "
eek.gif
my my my u've done quite alot" but their facial expression was like "yeah he did alot of different stuff, but we cant use none of that $%*$ over here"
laugh.gif

Just had to bring back this thread, it's so beneficial.

Do have a few questions, though...

Should I eliminate the education section completely? I still have my high school listed and only a year's worth of college exp.

If you were fired/let go from a job, but had a significant amount of time there...do you still list it?

Im in my third year of college with no internships/job experience. Im thinking about joining some clubs on campus, would that make my resume look any better?

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

Im in my third year of college with no internships/job experience. Im thinking about joining some clubs on campus, would that make my resume look any better?

Yes, of course it would.
Especially if you become a club officier and obtain an leadership award of some sort.
That shows employers that you can lead people.
Also in some cases that might be better than actual work experience because you did it for no pay.
Also look into volunteer work if you haven't already.

- Do Spell Check. If you allow careless mistakes on the one sheet of paper that represents you employers will figure you will be equally as careless on the job. Spell check and proofread it when you're done, wait, and then proofread it again. It is extremely common to have spelling errors and (especially in my case) to mess up the dates on a job or whatever. Have someone else proofread it as well. A lot of employers automatically trash a resume with a spelling error.

I was advertising for a short term position (got someone new starting tomorrow) and I had about 10 applicants over a few weeks. One made me laugh - in his intro he had 'I am very organized and pay great atteniton to detail'.

Just made me laugh - it's clearly a typo but it doesn't say much about them.

I just did my dad a new resume - he's a doctor, 58 and retiring in July but is applying for a part time thing for after then. He gave me all the info (which my mom had typed for him about 35 years ago when he was applying to joing the practice he's now the senior partner in and I turned it into this:

2vv5l4g.jpg

Obviously I made it so you can't read the words but I just thought it looked good - clean and easy to navigate. He likes having a picture on it too for some reason...

Back
Top Bottom