Is It Rude/Pretentious To Request Guests To Take Their Shoes Off Upon Entering Your Home?

Is It Rude/Pretentious To Request Guests To Take Their Shoes Off Upon Entering Your Home?

• Total voters
I'm being serious: I look at it the same as if I walked into Macy's or cheesecake factory and they asked me to take my shoes off so their carpet won't get dirty. If restaurants started doing this (I think it's customary in China for similar reasons) would you have an issue? Stores don't want their floors dirty/germ infested either.

no one taking their shoes off in asian restaurants unless its those japanese spots with the tatami floors my dude

I've never had this come up at my place now that I think about it. Most of my friends are of the same cultural background as me, so they take their shoes off without thinking about it when entering my house. Same when I visit someone.

If a guest didn't take their shoes off, I don't think I would ask them to do so. I'd rather clean the place myself then make them feel uncomfortable.

I'm being serious: I look at it the same as if I walked into Macy's or cheesecake factory and they asked me to take my shoes off so their carpet won't get dirty. If restaurants started doing this (I think it's customary in China for similar reasons) would you have an issue? Stores don't want their floors dirty/germ infested either.

That's a silly point of view.

Thousands of dirty **** dudes pass through those establishments everyday/week.

Millions in total.

It makes no sense to compare the cleanliness of a public space or place of commerce to a home.

But some of you are obviously dirty and were raised with bad ethos from a hygiene standpoint. :lol:

Some of y’all in here have a crazy way of thinking when it comes to this topic... why would you want someone to wear shoes in the house after they have been walking around in the elements, stepping in god knows what and allowing that to track on your floors (hardwood or carpet)?

pay to much $ to be cleaning up whats avoidable . Flooring ain’t cheap .

If a guest didn't take their shoes off, I don't think I would ask them to do so. I'd rather clean the place myself then make them feel uncomfortable.
Exactly. I prefer to be fully clothed wherever I go most of the time. I'm not trying to take off y shoes like I'm an 8 year old going to the ball pit at Chuck e cheese.
My place is very neat, clean and orderly. I vacuum regularly. Could my carpet be cleaner if I enforced a no shoe policy? Probably...but Im not gonna enforce something that I wouldn't want to do if I visited their home.
I'm just not that much of a germaphobe to care about some microscopic particles that haven't affected my health in the 15 years that I've been a bachelor.
Side note: visited a chick a few months ago and she actually required me to wear a mask in her crib :lol:

Side note: visited a chick a few months ago and she actually required me to wear a mask in her crib :lol:
ezgif-1-f727a2f14393.gif

I'll rather them ask to leave my phone in a basket instead of partially undressing and taking off my shoes. I wouldn't want to do either tho. I value my connection with friends and try to rarely check my phone, so I get where they're coming from.

For instance, if it were raining outside, would you STILL not ask them to take their shoes off?

I 100% trust that anyone I associate with would use good judgement. I have a doormat and people know how to use that. If the doormat couldn't get their shoes in a suitable condition to enter someone's home, they'd know to take them off as to not track in moisture. Same with me. No way would I walk in someone's home with damp/potentially grimy shoes.

Last edited:
It is soo weird to refer to taking your shoes off as "partially undressing."

Yes, that is what you're doing but the wording alone is cringeworthy. Cant imagine the thought process that would even lead you to look at it that way.
And it's soo weird to me to ask an adult to partially undress.

It's the EXACT SAME THING THO :rofl:
No its not :lol:

:rofl: @ you trying to equate the two.

If you can't keep my attention while I'm at your house that's your fault not mine.

****ing crazy talking about value a connection more.

You not vacuuming my carpet or wet wiping the floor after coming in my house with your shoes on.
It is soo weird to refer to taking your shoes off as "partially undressing."

Yes, that is what you're doing but the wording alone is cringeworthy. Cant imagine the thought process that would even lead you to look at it that way.
Son got some foot fetish issues.

Pure ignorance

No its not :lol:

:rofl: @ you trying to equate the two.

If you can't keep my attention while I'm at your house that's your fault not mine.

****ing crazy talking about value a connection more.

You not vacuuming my carpet or wet wiping the floor after coming in my house with your shoes on.

Son got some foot fetish issues.
"Asking someone to remove something they arrived with" is the angle I'm coming from. Not the amount of 'damage' it would cause. If you invite someone over and they're in their phone while you're trying to tell them something you're excited/serious about would tick you off. People just want to avoid that. I'm not saying it's cool to for them to collect the phones though.

"Asking someone to remove something they arrived with" is the angle I'm coming from.
That something in question is dirty as **** and you want to freely drag that crap in a person's home.

Its common decency not to do it.

Not the amount of 'damage' it would cause. If you invite someone over and they're in their phone while you're trying to tell them something you're excited/serious about would tick you off.
No it wouldn't.

I invite somebody over to tell them something and the entire they're not listening I'll just kick them out.

Clearly they don't got the time. No reason to waste mine.

I'd actually be pissed off if that person insisted on wearing shoes in my home.

Last edited:
I don't believe it would be rude to tell them they can remove their shoes. In my opinion, it would be more comfortable to not have shoes on in a house.

Back
Top Bottom