Is Social Media Destroying Society? Former Facebook Exec Says 'Yes'

Just gonna state the obvious here, but the more someone looks at likes/views/reps etc on a post, including posts that aren't their own, the more they care about what people think of them. I find myself doing it more than I'd like and it's something I work on.

Can't wait to check this out Wednesday

From the doc
20200909_124902.jpg

There's a quote at the end, that I thought was profound, by the dude that co-created the like button:
"A tree is worth more dead than alive. A whale is worth more dead than alive. As long as we have a religious drive to attain currency, we will become that tree and that whale."

Been trying to cut down on Niketalk lately. Officially removed from my favorites the other day but I realized I go on autopilot and type in niketalk anyway as soon as I open my browser :smh: :lol:

I deleted facebook and snap years ago. I have Instagram but never post there and average less than 10 min a day on it according to the built-in stats. But NT is taking up way too much of my time, especially the last few months. Gonna try to spend that time reading and learning how to play the keyboard :lol:

I watched the documentary below on Netflix and if you’re in this thread, I highly recommend it. Most of the knowledge is known, but the way they put a visualization to the “Algorithms” puts things into so much perspective for those who can’t comprehend what’s happening to us.

Edit - I see it was also posted to the top of the page. Oh well, here’s another recommendation to watch it if you were on the fence.

Back
Top Bottom