Is the Average Person Dumb?

scshift wrote:
Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

It's all relative but yes the stupidity of the average human being never ceases to amaze me

I find it absolutely hilarious that this comment was followed by this comment: 
Originally Posted by AZwildcats

Sad thing is most dumb people think they are smart. I work in a chemistry lab with "smart" people everyday and even they astound me with their lack of common sense.

Originally Posted by KMante

There are many types of smart.
Street smart
Basketball smart
Book smart
Economically smart
Etc.

So the answer is.....
nerd.gif
This is my thinking as well.

Originally Posted by KMante

There are many types of smart.
Street smart
Basketball smart
Book smart
Economically smart
Etc.

So the answer is.....
nerd.gif
Still only one kind of dumb.

laugh.gif
@ "basketball smart" though. I mean showing ingenuity in a game when you're first getting the hang of it is exceptional but I don't know how much it'll reflect on a person as a whole.

Originally Posted by MiamiBoy

Well us Americans as a country think we know it all and rule the world so I guess as individuals we all feel we're always right lol a lot of people are misinformed about stuff including me so I guess people gotta listen more...

RalphWiggum4.gif

.....your SN explains it all

Originally Posted by Swag Odie

scshift wrote:

It's all relative but yes the stupidity of the average human being never ceases to amaze me
I find it absolutely hilarious that this comment was followed by this comment: 
Originally Posted by AZwildcats

Sad thing is most dumb people think they are smart. I work in a chemistry lab with "smart" people everyday and even they astound me with their lack of common sense.

This is hilarious because?

I love when stupid people pride themselves in having street smarts, a lot of the time "street smarts" just means you never graduated high school but you know just enough to calculate your change during small drug transactions

And what the hell is "basketball smarts"? Do they mean bball IQ? Does it take a genius to run plays in basketball? I will say tho, football is a very cerebral sport, but I'm biased

USA falls pretty low on international intelligence rankings usually. So if you're asking if the average american is dumb compared to the rest of the world, then the answer is yes.

Originally Posted by MF Doomer

I'd say we're more prone to ignorance than other countries.

I mean, not necessarily---

For instance in other countries ignorance leads to laws that reinforce that ignorance (eg homosexuality being a punishable crime in Nigeria)

This country has a lot of ignorant people but they are more or less kept in check, imagine if this country had to abide by strict religious laws--I will change my opinion on this when people like the tea-party start running this country
nerd.gif

Everyone is interested in different things and not everyone sees commonsense as an importance.

I think its like 45-55% of Americans cannot point out England on a map...some astounding number like that. Ridiculous.

For instance in other countries ignorance leads to laws that reinforce that ignorance (eg homosexuality being a punishable crime in Nigeria)

This country has a lot of ignorant people but they are more or less kept in check, imagine if this country had to abide by strict religious laws--I will change my opinion on this when people like the tea-party start running this country
nerd.gif
It's relative for every country, then there are stigmas historically that brought society were we are today like 'rules' that were embarked upon us. Still prevalent but not as obvious to most. 

funny thing is nobody considers themselves as the average dumb person

everybody laughs at the people are dumb joke

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

I think its like 45-55% of Americans cannot point out England on a map...some astounding number like that. Ridiculous.

I dunno bout that, it usually says England on it.
But it really is all relative, i could completely see a well read, brilliant engineer not knowing country locations due to geography not being a strong point in his studies.  If we came up with a scale though with the most base intellectual requirements that we all agree on across the board, the avg. person would still come out on the wrong side of that.

nerd.gif
It's relative for every country, then there are stigmas historically that brought society were we are today like 'rules' that were embarked upon us. Still prevalent but not as obvious to most. 

I see what you're saying, but I still don't think the US more ignorant that most

I will say tho, this country seems to be progressively lagging behind as far as education goes, when people from many Asian and African countries migrate here there are usually far more educated than kids at their same grade level-if we don't do something this will ultimately be the fall of this nation

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

I dunno bout that, it usually says England on it.
But it really is all relative, i could completely see a well read, brilliant engineer not knowing country locations due to geography not being a strong point in his studies.  If we came up with a scale though with the most base intellectual requirements that we all agree on across the board, the avg. person would still come out on the wrong side of that.
Hilarious

Multiple intelligence< I believe people are smart in certain subjects. An average person is just average, at the threshold of smart and stupid(Marginal).

When it comes to global issues I believe the average person is an idiot.

Most Americans grow up stupid, which is why we need to pump steroids into the education system.
One time, I was with my friend Sean at Raising Cane's (dankest food ever btw 
pimp.gif
) and he asked me, "Are these chicken fingers like actually fingers of a chicken?" I %!+* you not I had to ask him like three times if I heard him wrong but he thought that those chicken fingers were actually chicken fingers. I am a nice guy so I didn't laugh in his face but I was like, "Bro, you're *##%##@ wrong."
ohwell.gif

This dude somehow had a 3.8 at a private Jesuit high school. Needless to say he had to transfer out a month after his dad took him out of school in November because he dicked around so much.

This is hilarious because?

I love when stupid people pride themselves in having street smarts, a lot of the time "street smarts" just means you never graduated high school but you know just enough to calculate your change during small drug transactions

And what the hell is "basketball smarts"? Do they mean bball IQ? Does it take a genius to run plays in basketball? I will say tho, football is a very cerebral sport, but I'm biased

laugh.gif
 Let's just say it has nothing to do with you.  I respect the few NT'ers who have an intelligent head on their shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom