Manny rejects LA's 2 year/$45M deal

After they broke down that 2year offer on espn this morning , I can see why they rejected it . It was a bunch of deffered money 10 mil this yesr 10 mil nextand the rest paid out over next 3 years . I think if it was how they made it sound the 25mil this year then 20mil next i think he would be sign now

[h1]Ramirez and the Dodgers could be closing in[/h1]
By Steve Henson, Yahoo! Sports 2 hours, 10 minutes ago

• Buzz up! 7 votes
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

More From Steve Henson

PHOENIX - Manny Ramirez wants his money and he wants it now.That's what the late-night emails and last-minute posturing are all about. The Los Angeles Dodgers likely will fork it over and Ramirez would be in uniform intime to get more than enough spring training at-bats.

Two-year, $45 million offers apparently come wrapped different ways, and Ramirez wants the package that would pay him $25 million in 2009 and $20 million in2010, with an opt-out clause after the first year.

The Dodgers have put forth vastly different versions of 2/45. Their first offer in November would have paid Ramirez $15 million in 2009, $22.5 million 2010,and included a $7.5 million buyout on a $22.5 million club option for 2011.

[table][tr][td][size=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/size]

[/td] [/tr][/table]
b

Their 2/45 offer this week was far different, according to a baseball source. First reported by the L.A. Times, $10 million would be paid in 2009, another$10 million in 2010, and the other $25 million would be deferred over the following three years - without interest.

The Dodgers have been deferring salary and backloading contracts lately, a curious financial strategy when so many of their top young players will be duehuge raises in a few years. Maybe owner Frank McCourt believes he'll gain additional revenue from adding restaurants, retail stores, condos and, oh, afootball stadium on his property next to Dodger Stadium. But that's a topic for another day.

Ramirez won't be anywhere near L.A. in 2011 and beyond, so none of that concerns him. He wants to be paid more than $20 million in 2009 and at least $20million in 2010 because he already turned his back on those amounts when the Boston Red Sox traded him to the Dodgers in July. His contract that expired atthe end of last season had club options at $20 million for each of the next two years, and as a stipulation to the trade he had them stricken.

He also fired his agent and hired Boras. So in order to make those moves appear rational in hindsight, Ramirez must get at least as much as he turned hisback on. Plus a commission for Boras, thank you very much.

Which puts us back at $45 million over two years, but without the deferred nonsense. The Dodgers can cross this bridge - they made Ramirez a one-year, $25million offer last month.

And speaking of nonsense, how about the emails to multiple media outlets Thursday night, first from the Dodgers, then from Boras? The Dodgers clearlybelieve that the best way to deal with Boras is to trumpet each of their offers from the highest mountaintop. They certainly didn't do this duringnegotiations for non-Boras clients such as Rafael Furcal, Casey Blake, Orlando Hudson and Randy Wolf.

Contrary to his usual cards-close-to-the-vest M.O., Boras responded in kind, writing, "We are continuing to work within the scope of the parametersestablished during our discussion Wednesday afternoon at Dodger Stadium, which included a two-year term and ability for the player to void the contract afterthe first year.

"Per that face-to-face meeting, we agreed to continue to have discussions until Friday at noon, which included our two proposals today, our most recentat two years, $45 million. We are waiting to hear their response."

Translation: Hey! We've backed off that four-year, $100 million request. We know the economy has tanked. We aren't delusional. Manny will take the$45 million, already. Just give it to him over the next two years.

Boras felt the need to clarify because McCourt was quoted in the earlier Dodgers email as saying, "We love Manny Ramirez and we want Manny back, but wefeel we are negotiating against ourselves. When his agent finds those 'serious offers' from other clubs, we'll be happy to re-start thenegotiations.

"Even with an economy that has substantially eroded since last November, out of respect for Manny and his talents, we actually improved our offer.

"So now, we start from scratch."

McCourt couldn't resist taking a slap at Boras' response to the Dodgers' November offer, when the agent referred to the fact that Ramirez wouldbe able to negotiate with teams other than the Dodgers by saying, "Beginning Friday, I will for the first time, take serious offers."

There were none, we all know. As hard as Boras tried to engage the SanFrancisco Giants, they aren't biting.

Maybe McCourt's wisecrack is a positive sign. Maybe that's how he and Boras roll, after their rollicking negotiations the last several years formany players, from Derek Lowe and J.D. Drew to Greg Maddux and Andruw Jones. Some have been contentious, some disastrous, somegratifying.

None lasted as long or integrated the oddities of this one. But if the result is Manny Ramirez batting cleanup for the Dodgers, with the stands full of fanswearing faux dreadlocks and Ramirez jerseys, McCourt and Boras will be wearing something too - satisfied smiles.

now that the details of the offer are exposed it's more understandable now I guess... I still feel he should play for LA though

He wants his 25 mill for the first year and have the option to opt out of a 20 million 2nd year if he thinks he could get more.

I dont know why all dodger fans think he is going to sign with them.He is going anywhere but there.

^Your a typical dodger fan, you think that every player will sign with you. The funny thing is all signs point to Manny going anywhere but your little smogpolluted city. Come on man, he's already rejected 2 or 3 of your offers. Do you really think he want's to play for you guys. So come on, face thefacts. He will NOT be a dodger.

Um...no other team has made dude offer, Manny knows the Dodgers are the only ones that will pay him so he's being stubborn with getting what he wants.

Dodgers have no choice at this point.

Originally Posted by THE BLUE CAPE

^ You really don't think there's a chance of Manny being in dodger blue this season?

Honestly no. He's only playing for himself right now, I don't see why dodger fan's like him so much. Granted he lead that team to theplayoffs.That's all he did though, he didn't win the series like dodger fans were touting about when he first got traded. I see him in Yankee Blue thisyear or a mid market team like the Braves.Unless the Giants swoop in, there not going to sign him either. If he does sign however,good for them. There gettinga player who is know notoriously known for giving up halfway through the season and just caring about the money.

Originally Posted by rc49ers

^Your a typical dodger fan, you think that every player will sign with you. The funny thing is all signs point to Manny going anywhere but your little smog polluted city. Come on man, he's already rejected 2 or 3 of your offers. Do you really think he want's to play for you guys. So come on, face the facts. He will NOT be a dodger.

Honestly no. He's only playing for himself right now, I don't see why dodger fan's like him so much. Granted he lead that team to the playoffs.That's all he did though, he didn't win the series like dodger fans were touting about when he first got traded. I see him in Yankee Blue this year or a mid market team like the Braves.Unless the Giants swoop in, there not going to sign him either. If he does sign however,good for them. There getting a player who is know notoriously known for giving up halfway through the season and just caring about the money.
Honestly, everything you say is nonsense.

It's funny your own crew from the Giants Season Thread think everything you say is nonsense as well.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

rc49ers wrote:
^Your a typical dodger fan, you think that every player will sign with you. The funny thing is all signs point to Manny going anywhere but your little smog polluted city. Come on man, he's already rejected 2 or 3 of your offers. Do you really think he want's to play for you guys. So come on, face the facts. He will NOT be a dodger.

Honestly no. He's only playing for himself right now, I don't see why dodger fan's like him so much. Granted he lead that team to the playoffs.That's all he did though, he didn't win the series like dodger fans were touting about when he first got traded. I see him in Yankee Blue this year or a mid market team like the Braves.Unless the Giants swoop in, there not going to sign him either. If he does sign however,good for them. There getting a player who is know notoriously known for giving up halfway through the season and just caring about the money.
Honestly, everything you say is nonsense.

It's funny your own crew from the Giants Season Thread think everything you say is nonsense as well.

Did you not watch him give up in Boston last year? You must not watch very much baseball. I say what I say. It's funny that you have have your opinion butI can be entitle to have mine. I ain't going no jrain %%#! just yet. I didn't say Freddy Lewis is a beast!!!!!! 40/40 year for him. Guaranteed AllStar. All I'm saying is from what Ive been hearing, he isn't going to end up with the dodgers.
mad.gif

laugh.gif
what have you been hearing that's so different from what the millions of others in this country have read or seen on thetele? please do tell. You seem to be the Harvey Levin of MLB around these here parts so please do enlighten us...

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Did we really just compare Bonzi Wells to Manny Ramirez?

lol well obviously not talent wise
but in terms of greed manny is being offered top dollar and wants to top that?
just like when the kings wanted bonzi they offered him top dollar for a person his caliber but he wanted more
and i think we know how that turned out...........

^& still you're trying to compare Bonzi Wells to Manny.

We know how it turned out because Bonzi Wells ended up playing overseas because he's a bum.

As for Manny, his production and performance on the field is unmatched.

So stop with that.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

laugh.gif
what have you been hearing that's so different from what the millions of others in this country have read or seen on the tele? please do tell. You seem to be the Harvey Levin of MLB around these here parts so please do enlighten us...

Another TMZ reference 562
nerd.gif

Did you not watch him give up in Boston last year? You must not watch very much baseball. I say what I say. It's funny that you have have your opinion but I can be entitle to have mine. I ain't going no jrain %%#! just yet. I didn't say Freddy Lewis is a beast!!!!!! 40/40 year for him. Guaranteed All Star. All I'm saying is from what Ive been hearing, he isn't going to end up with the dodgers.
mad.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ rc49ers though.

Well first of all, my team is the Dodgers - I do admit I don't watch too much AL beisbol, but if you're referring to "Manny's antics" onand off the field - I'm sure like the rest of baseball fans we do know what happened.

You do realize what we gave up for Manny right?
eek.gif
roll.gif

Then you say you're not no JRAIN ..."just yet"
roll.gif

It's not like Manny is going to have to settle for playing in Japan because he's turned down a few offers.

Bonzi definitely shouldn't be playing overseas right now, but he's an NBA sixth man at best.

Manny is one of the best of all-time in his sport, and he's going to get paid about as much money as he wants.

Back
Top Bottom