My advice for undergrads/new grads (long read).

great stuff wj4. couldnt agree more with everything you said.

currently, i'm moving onto my second job coming out of college. even though it pays less, i know i'm gonna find it more fulfilling and ill know my work has an impact on others.

doing what you love > the money.

@Wj4- I have a few questions for you. Im currently in school for business Admin Financing. I dont have the best gpa def not the worst. How can I land a intern that ask for minimum gpa of 3.5?
What are good jobs to gain experience?

As a person whose graduation is looming, this thread is surely a goldmine. I say that in confidence because it's what various professors and mentors have told me in these recent years. I'm personally dreading the fact I'm in the paying-dues portion of my life, but am prepared for it. Good luck with your business plan. Perhaps you'll be seeing a PM from me down the line when I am ready to map out my business.

Good point on the entitlement. With this economy if you can find a job that pays 40k take it. Some people feel they are entitled to more but you have to be willing to do anything to advance, even if that means taking a job you feel you are above

Originally Posted by HTXMade

@Wj4- I have a few questions for you. Im currently in school for business Admin Financing. I dont have the best gpa def not the worst. How can I land a intern that ask for minimum gpa of 3.5?
How far are you from the 3.5?  If you're very close, I would think you have a good chance of getting in.  I would apply either way, and write a thorough cover letter explaining your ambition to work for the company even though your GPA is below the requirement.  Worst they can say is no.  Also, if you don't hear back within ~2 weeks, I would send a polite email to follow up and thank them for the opportunity.  It also depends on the scale of the internship.  If it's something that everyone wants then realistically, it may be harder.  For my former program, an internship at the CDC in Atlanta was on a national scale so it was very competitive.  I didn't get in.

I did my internship locally at JPL/NASA because of the name.  The firm is world renowned and I chose to interned there, and not get paid for it instead of working at a small company that would've paid $15 or so an hour.  I still talk to the guys I worked with over there even though it's been years since my internship ended.  You always want to expand your connections.

Also to everyone who can:  don't feel like you are rooted if you are not.  If there's a great job that you want somewhere else across the country, go for it!  This is something you can only do when you're young because you are (most likely) highly mobile.  Take the opportunity so you don't wonder years later "what if I would've taken that offer".

Practice giving oral presentations.  I know I really disliked public speaking as an undergrad, and I was horrible at them.  I would more or less read word for word.  I would not make eye contact, and say "um" a lot.  Communication is the foundation for all businesses and you will work with others.  Some interviews may ask you to do a presentation to their group about yourself and why they should hire you.  I had to do one for an internship I didn't get.  A panel of 4-5 personnel came in from the management team and I had to present on myself and the skills I had.  Looking back at it, boy did I suck
laugh.gif
  It's a lot better to mess up and learn in a classroom setting than in front of your superior.

Originally Posted by HTXMade

How far are you from the 3.5?  If you're very close, I would think you have a good chance of getting in.  I would apply either way, and write a thorough cover letter explaining your ambition to work for the company even though your GPA is below the requirement.  Worst they can say is no.  Also, if you don't hear back within ~2 weeks, I would send a polite email to follow up and thank them for the opportunity.  It also depends on the scale of the internship.  If it's something that everyone wants then realistically, it may be harder.  For my former program, an internship at the CDC in Atlanta was on a national scale so it was very competitive.  I didn't get in.

I did my internship locally at JPL/NASA because of the name.  The firm is world renowned and I chose to interned there, and not get paid for it instead of working at a small company that would've paid $15 or so an hour.  I still talk to the guys I worked with over there even though it's been years since my internship ended.  You always want to expand your connections.

Also to everyone who can:  don't feel like you are rooted if you are not.  If there's a great job that you want somewhere else across the country, go for it!  This is something you can only do when you're young because you are (most likely) highly mobile.  Take the opportunity so you don't wonder years later "what if I would've taken that offer".

Practice giving oral presentations.  I know I really disliked public speaking as an undergrad, and I was horrible at them.  I would more or less read word for word.  I would not make eye contact, and say "um" a lot.  Communication is the foundation for all businesses and you will work with others.  Some interviews may ask you to do a presentation to their group about yourself and why they should hire you.  I had to do one for an internship I didn't get.  A panel of 4-5 personnel came in from the management team and I had to present on myself and the skills I had.  Looking back at it, boy did I suck
laugh.gif
  It's a lot better to mess up and learn in a classroom setting than in front of your superior.

wj4, could you talk a bit more about how to prepare for post-undergrad life during college? what do I have to do to take full advantage of it while I'm here?

Good thread and great advice in here. Regarding the interview and workplace habit stuff though, I feel like a lot of that is common sense. But then again, for some folks sense isn't common. I just call that Survival of the Fittest.

wj4 wrote:
laugh.gif

pimp.gif
good to hear, I worked on this skill this last year hopefully it pays off. Great thread btw

Thanks for the encouraging words...I just graduated a month ago and finding a full-time job is a challenge.

Great advice man.

You interested in giving advice about excelling in college??
I'm in my 3rd year in college, passing but getting average grades. Just don't know how to study effectively

Great post wj4, I'll be out of school next year so I guess its never too early to start looking into full time employment

Regarding work - I feel I have exceeded the expectations of my position. The project I am on is doing really well, and my superintendent and I have been thrown out here without much supervision above us - my manager checks in once a week for about an hour and leaves. Throughout the week I complete certain task my manager request of me that he simply just turns in and practically takes credit for it.

I've been here for about a year and half and feel I have done exceptionally well - how do I go about asking for a raise? 

I am really cool with my operations manager, he's easy to talk to, down to earth but I haven't figured out the right angle to take when asking for a raise.

Any help? 

Makes me think about my own future. Got one year of high school left (yea I'm a youngin) but I like reading up on things and get tips on what I might do for college and in the future. Good read
pimp.gif
I'll be referencing back to this every now and then

man, if this thread existed 5 years ago, who knew.

Short story on me. Got fired from UPS in '07 and basically slummed it while going to school. Made no real connections and graduated from college in 2010. Now I have a degree in a field I love (Media Studies) with no prospects. Stuck doing BS work at an accounting firm making money I can damn near make working at Footlocker. I live in the most expensive city in thE US, so my money doesn't go far. aplied for my dream job and didn't get it. thinking of going the civil service route and saying eff it. Work 20 years, retire, etc. times are rough. To the young'ins, make connections, follow your dreams, and dont settle for whatever crappy job that comes along first. Even in this economy.

good stuff wj

most of the stuff you touched on, I learned in my later parts of undergrad. I think when you get older (22+ years old) you just realize any kind of information is good information and you want to use it to your advantage. Which is why I try to school new freshmen and sophomores around my way on what they need to do

do you think putting in work for two masters degree was really less work than putting it in for a Ph.D? I agree with the amount of work it's too much for too little, but in my [potential] line of work a PhD is necessary for the kind of job I want

Back
Top Bottom